Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > National Football Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-19-18, 02:17 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
Article:Madison Central 23 Collins 7

This was my first visit to Richmond and to the Roy Kidd Bowl.
I want to start off by saying thanks to Mark Scenters for everything, especially permission to set in the press box. I seldom set up there, but the rain made for the need. I was honored to set beside the living legend himself, Roy Kidd. He will never remember and I will never forget. The man was nice enough to speak with me twice and even ask me a question.

Now to the game.
The first quarter would end up setting the tone for almost the entire game. And the name of that tone was hard hitting defensive struggle.
Both teams had some doomsday like Dallas Cowboys defensive hits and it appeared to be a clean game,which made it even better.

With 6:18 left in the quarter,a bad exchange on by the Madison Central offensive unit put the ball on the ground and coming up with it from Collins was Anthony Bradford Jr., a the Central twenty six yard line. A few more notable plays in the quarter was, a quick five yard run from Jacoby Evans from Collins,with 3:07 left. Then there was a thirteen yard run from Central's Freddie Chenault, with 1:23 left.
With 19.6 seconds left,Derrick Miller got a five yard gain to pick up a first down for the hometown Indians .Jerry Lancaster of Collins stopped the play, with a hard tackle.

The Indians would get an eight yard completion from Miller to Cody Dillon to pick up a first down, with 10:58 left in the half.Just thirteen seconds later Chenault broke loose for a twenty three yard gain, that might have gone for a lot longer, had he not slipped on the wet field.The Indians used the sweep to the right, for a thirteen yard gain from Ethan Hahn, at the 9:42 mark of the quarter. The drive hit a brick wall shortly afterwards.

Jackson Juett, who should be in for a big season was able to stop the big back from Collins,Anthony Bradford for no gain, with 6:10 left in the half. Bradford is a load to bring down and a nice linebacker also. With 5:38 left in the half Joe Lucas was able to connect on a twenty yard pass to Mikaii Stoner. What looked like a promising drive ended just a few plays later, as the defense again wanted to show it was king of this one.

A long pass play from the Indians set up the game's first score and that came on a slick run from Hahn, who seemed to get stronger a the game grew older.Out of the hold from Josh Berry, the kick was successful off of the foot of Jordan Hatcher,to make this a 7-0 game.

With 3:28 left in the half, a pass thrown by Lucas was tipped two, maybe three times and then caught by Stoner, to give Collins a pick up of about twenty and a first down. On third down Lucas was stopped by Kolby Jackson after a three yard gain and force a punt.

The clock read 29.1, when Chenault busted up the gut of the Collins defense to pick up seventeen yards, on a play where is offensive line stepped up in a huge way. The half ended with the Indians owning a 7-0 lead.

Defense continues to rule the third quarter as the theme of this one continued.
The Indians faced a fourth and one on the Collins forty five and opted to go for it. That turned out to be the right choice, when Miller broke to his right to get the yards needed to move the chains, with 5:58 left in the quarter.
At the 4:08 mark the Indians again faced a fourth down and again elected to go for it, but this time an incomplete pass was the result,giving the ball back to Collins at their own twenty three yard line.

Just 3:16 was left in the quarter, when Lucas was picked off by the Indians Nate Storie, who returned it the Collins fifteen yard line.
After a four yard gain from Joe Burton to set up the Indians at the Collins five yard line it appeared this was soon going to be a two score game, but Miller fumbled the ball out of the end zone,giving the ball back to Collins at the twenty, with 2:13 left in the half.

Collins would waste no time in putting the ball into the end zone after their gigantic break. A seventy five yard pass from Lucas to Stoner made this a 7-6 game, with the point after kick from Webb Bates out of the hold from Zach Creque locking this contest up at seven.
Unofficially, I had Collins not gain any net yards after this. They had four additional drives that all resulted in negative yards, for a total of minus 23.

On the ensuing kickoff, a short kick that took a Collins bounce was pounced on by Cameron Harris, giving Collins the ball at their own forty nine yard line. A little under a minute later Collins tried a double reverse that was muffed, with the ball hitting the ground and being recovered by the Indians Ben Pinson.I believe it was Pinson getting credit for the play.

The Indians would fumble the ball, but Miller fell on it, but the play resulted in a sixteen yard loss, with :27 seconds left in the quarter.
The game was played sloppy at times, but I think a wet field played a large part in this. Both teams left it all out on the field and I think the fans, who was watching knew this.

The fourth quarter was just eleven seconds old when Miller was sacked by DJ Webb.
The drive that never started was over a few seconds later, as the Collins defense continued to play well.

Under nine minutes remained, when Jarrett Mullins tipped a punt from Collins, giving the Indians the ball on the Collins twenty one yard line.With the way the Indians defense was playing, it was only a matter of time before this game took a turn in favor of the home team.

The four play, twenty one yard drive ended on a three yard run from Chenault, with 8:17 left.Hahn ran over a would be tackler, to convert a two point play, making this a 15-7 game.

5:27 was left, when Miller used his feet to pick up thirty yards. He was able to use some fine blocking and field vision to aid in the gain.
Chenault would score again, this time on a eight yard run, and after a two point conversion run by Juett this was a 23-7 game.

Both teams recorded a sack in the final 3:27. Getting the sack for Collins was Justin Blackburn and for the Indians Juett and Brayden Prewitt team up to record it.

Unofficial stats
Collins
51 plays, 137 yards
passing 6-18 1 TD

Madison Central
62 plays, 331 yards
passing 4-9

Links to pics

Twitter

DAVID BURNWORTH
@OHIO1981

Facebook