Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-26-18, 05:22 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
Can someone explain to me why a 1st and 2nd strike foul ball that is fouled into the mitt of a catcher is not an out, but the 3rd strike is?
Because the during the action you describe, the contact between the bat and ball is ignored and the ball remains live. Strike one, strike two, and strike three

Last edited by AllSports12; 07-26-18 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-26-18, 11:21 PM
All American

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
This is an example of why I hesitate to discuss specific situations and focus on rules and mechanics, as you significantly changed the dynamics of the play..
I know the general rules regarding replay, but had never seen an extra out recorded in case the actual 3rd out recorded was overturned. Adding in that the extra out was only recorded because the runners thought the inning was over. The replay officials have never had to deal with a situation quite like this before, had the force out only been the 1st or 2nd out in the inning then there would not have been any problem.
Old 07-27-18, 06:54 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
I know the general rules regarding replay, but had never seen an extra out recorded in case the actual 3rd out recorded was overturned. Adding in that the extra out was only recorded because the runners thought the inning was over. The replay officials have never had to deal with a situation quite like this before, had the force out only been the 1st or 2nd out in the inning then there would not have been any problem.
Once the runner from 1st was ruled out via a force play at 2nd (3rd out) the inning ended. All further activity is ignored as nothing further can happen by rule.

If, the call at 2nd is overturned via replay, there are only two options to be considered with regards to the lead runner......... He is either returned to third base or he is awarded home. Those two decisions are the responsibility of the replay official.

There is no "extra out" to consider.
Old 07-27-18, 07:25 AM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Because the during the action you describe, the contact between the bat and ball is ignored and the ball remains live. Strike one, strike two, and strike three
Why is that?

If the batter swings, slightly tips the ball and the catcher drops it, is that considered a foul, or a dropped 3rd strike?
Old 07-27-18, 09:34 AM
All World

Quote:
Why is that?
It allows for continuous action. Rewards the defense for making a play and protects the offense when the play is not made.

Quote:
If the batter swings, slightly tips the ball and the catcher drops it, is that considered a foul, or a dropped 3rd strike?
Foul ball by definition. That applies regardless how many strikes there are on the batter.
Old 07-27-18, 10:26 AM
All American

Quote:
Once the runner from 1st was ruled out via a force play at 2nd (3rd out) the inning ended. All further activity is ignored as nothing further can happen by rule.
So in a situation in which there is a runner on 1st and 2 out, a ground ball is hit to the second-baseman and he flips it to the short-stop but may have pulled him off the base so the SS throws to first before the runner reaches the base. If the runner at 2nd is initially ruled out by force then the call is overturned then are you saying that even though the fielder threw to 1st in case he came off the bag early that the out would not count and there would be runners on first and second with 2 outs?
Old 07-27-18, 12:25 PM
All World

Quote:
So in a situation in which there is a runner on 1st and 2 out, a ground ball is hit to the second-baseman and he flips it to the short-stop but may have pulled him off the base so the SS throws to first before the runner reaches the base. If the runner at 2nd is initially ruled out by force then the call is overturned then are you saying that even though the fielder threw to 1st in case he came off the bag early that the out would not count and there would be runners on first and second with 2 outs?
If the call at 2nd is overturned and the runner is ruled safe.... The replay official must then determine where to place any other runner.

In this situation the throw to first may or may not be of aid to the replay official and here's why........

What if the Batter/Runner pulled up momentarily when the original throw went to second? Had he not pulled up maybe he beats that instinctive throw.

The bottom line in this....... There is no additional out. There are things however that can help the replay official to make a proper determination.
Old 07-27-18, 12:30 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've been coaching high school baseball for over 10 years and have never heard of an extra out just in case a play gets overturned. Is that an MLB thing? I've never heard it discussed at the coach's clinics in Columbus.
Old 07-27-18, 12:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
I've been coaching high school baseball for over 10 years and have never heard of an extra out just in case a play gets overturned. Is that an MLB thing? I've never heard it discussed at the coach's clinics in Columbus.
The only time an additional out would come into play is when an appeal by the defense results in a "4th" out.

That "4th out" could result in a run not scoring.
Old 07-27-18, 12:42 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
This is the location of all players at the moment the force out was recorded at 2nd.
What age group is this? Why is the catcher backing up a throw to 1st with runners on? Why is the pitcher standing on the mound when there is a runner at second? If both runners are running with the pitch how did the runner on 2nd make it almost home but the runner going to 2nd is thrown out and the batter/runner is past 1st base? I'm guessing 6 made the throw to 4 for the out since 6 is in the hole and 4 is closest to the bag but in the baseline after the runner is on 2nd. I only ask because you wrote "This is the location of all players at the moment the force out was recorded at 2nd." and things don't look right.
Old 07-27-18, 12:45 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
The only time an additional out would come into play is when an appeal by the defense results in a "4th" out.

That "4th out" could result in a run not scoring.
That I have actually seen in an MLB game. Line drive was caught and runner got caught in a run down between 1st and 2nd. Runner on 3rd took off without tagging. Rundown was the 3rd out and the run scored. Third baseman asked for the ball and stepped on 3rd run didn't count.
Old 07-27-18, 12:50 PM
All World

Quote:
That I have actually seen in an MLB game. Line drive was caught and runner got caught in a run down between 1st and 2nd. Runner on 3rd took off without tagging. Rundown was the 3rd out and the run scored. Third baseman asked for the ball and stepped on 3rd run didn't count.

Exactly

A 4th out appeal would involve an infraction by a base runner while the ball is live.

The ball became dead once the inning ended (3rd out) in the situations presented here.
Old 07-28-18, 04:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Is that an MLB thing?
It would only apply to professional baseball and the boys/baseball college world series.
Old 07-29-18, 11:08 AM
All World

Quote:
It would only apply to professional baseball and the boys/baseball college world series.
Again.... and for the final time..... There is no "extra out" Not in MLB, NCAA, NFHS, USSSA, LL.....

It's time to move to another subject.

Last edited by AllSports12; 07-29-18 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-30-18, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Hidden ball Trick rulings....

Saw 2 teams try it this weekend in a 12 yr old tournament. I am not exactly sure what rules they were going by.

The first attempt the pitcher stood right behind the rubber. Runner on 3rd knew what was up and yelled "pitcher has the ball" and the play ended.

Then in the very next game, the team that had the attempted hidden ball trick done on them tries to do this play. If you watched the previous game, which I did, it was pretty obvious that was what they were attempting to do.

So, not being sure what rules they went by I waited to say anything. As soon as I saw the pitcher straddle the rubber I knew that it pretty much was illegal no matter the rules so as soon as the runner got off and was tagged by the third basemen I, of course, yelled balk.

It was called and the coach went out to argue why it was called.

So my question to you Mr AllSports is......

When time is out (which is what occurred here) it is my understanding that the HP umpire does not call play back in until the pitcher has the ball and ready to get on the rubber, so something close to that..correct?

If the HP umpire is fooled and calls the ball into play then a balk should be called correct in accordance to the rules (OBR, NFHS (5feet) or collegiate (on the dirt area).

Or should the umpire really rule that the play never should have happened because the ball never should have been put into play since the pitcher did not have the ball?

Just wondering.....thanks.

All in all, I think the umps at the Plain City tournament did a very good job. Many kids were new to balks and such and gave warnings, and even showed the kids a proper way to do things. I also liked how they took care of an incident of a player being a bit aggressive/angry by talking to him. He likely could have tossed the kid, but instead talked to him fairly sternly near the dugout
Old 07-30-18, 05:51 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Hidden ball Trick rulings....

Saw 2 teams try it this weekend in a 12 yr old tournament. I am not exactly sure what rules they were going by.

The first attempt the pitcher stood right behind the rubber. Runner on 3rd knew what was up and yelled "pitcher has the ball" and the play ended.

Then in the very next game, the team that had the attempted hidden ball trick done on them tries to do this play. If you watched the previous game, which I did, it was pretty obvious that was what they were attempting to do.

So, not being sure what rules they went by I waited to say anything. As soon as I saw the pitcher straddle the rubber I knew that it pretty much was illegal no matter the rules so as soon as the runner got off and was tagged by the third basemen I, of course, yelled balk.

It was called and the coach went out to argue why it was called.

So my question to you Mr AllSports is......

When time is out (which is what occurred here) it is my understanding that the HP umpire does not call play back in until the pitcher has the ball and ready to get on the rubber, so something close to that..correct?

If the HP umpire is fooled and calls the ball into play then a balk should be called correct in accordance to the rules (OBR, NFHS (5feet) or collegiate (on the dirt area).

Or should the umpire really rule that the play never should have happened because the ball never should have been put into play since the pitcher did not have the ball?

Just wondering.....thanks.

All in all, I think the umps at the Plain City tournament did a very good job. Many kids were new to balks and such and gave warnings, and even showed the kids a proper way to do things. I also liked how they took care of an incident of a player being a bit aggressive/angry by talking to him. He likely could have tossed the kid, but instead talked to him fairly sternly near the dugout
On balls that remain live live when the original play ends the three major codes all have a different rule that applies to the hidden ball trick. In this situation, when the ball is live it is a balk when.........

NFHS - The pitcher places his feet on or astride the pitcher’s plate, or positions himself within approximately five feet of the pitcher’s plate without having the ball.

NCAA - While not in possession of the ball, the pitcher stands with either foot or both feet on any part of the dirt area (circle) of the mound during a hidden-ballplay attempt;

OBR (MLB) - When the pitcher takes a position on or astride the rubber.

If the ball is declared dead at the end of the previous play. The ball cannot be made live until the following three things happen.....

- The Pitcher, in possession of the ball takes his place on the pitcher's plate
- The Catcher takes his position in the Catcher's Box
- The Batter takes his position (and ready to hit) in the Batter's Box

Anything that happens until all three components are met is a whole lot of nothing..... whether it be a clever tag on an unsuspecting runner, or the resulting rundown and overthrow into dead ball territory once the runner thinks hes been had.
Old 08-06-18, 11:18 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
I understand all of that. As an umpire youc annot call ball into play until those things happen, as you state.
BUt what if, as an umpire, you are fooled and call the ball into play because you believed the pitcher to have the ball. Do you call a balk, or do you call it NO PLAY since you inadvertently put the ball into play.
Old 08-07-18, 05:45 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I understand all of that. As an umpire youc annot call ball into play until those things happen, as you state.
BUt what if, as an umpire, you are fooled and call the ball into play because you believed the pitcher to have the ball. Do you call a balk, or do you call it NO PLAY since you inadvertently put the ball into play.
The ball cannot, by rule, be put into play until all of the criteria (posted above) is met.

No play has occurred.
Old 08-17-18, 02:44 PM
All Ohio

sig4969 is on a distinguished road
Los Angeles Angels vs Texas Rangers 08/16/18 top 4th

base are loaded

batter hits ground ball to third umpire signal no catch

third baseman fields the ball goes to tag runner on third
runner leaves the bag.

third baseman step on third

runner from third run outside the base path

third baseman throw ball to second baseman stand on second

Did umpire signal out for stepping on third ??
Old 08-17-18, 04:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig4969 View Post
base are loaded

batter hits ground ball to third umpire signal no catch

third baseman fields the ball goes to tag runner on third
runner leaves the bag.

third baseman step on third

runner from third run outside the base path

third baseman throw ball to second baseman stand on second

Did umpire signal out for stepping on third ??

Yes he did.... Here's what happened....

- Low line drive, F5 catches the ball on a short-hop, therefore the Umpire signals "safe" (indicating no catch)

- The runner from 3rd retreats to the bag because he thinks the ball could be caught, once he realizes it is not caught he starts to move towards home, while at the same time F5 advances towards him, ball in hand

- F5 reaches to tag the runner from 3rd but a split second before he tags the runner, he steps on 3rd base, which retires the runner from second on the force out. (out #1)

- Immediately after touching 3rd base with his foot, the tags the runner from third who is off the base. (out #2)

- The 3rd Base Umpire points to 3rd base and signals "out" for the force, then points to the runner and signals "out" for the tag of the runner off the base

- F5 then throws to F4 who is standing on second base. (out#3) That action completes the triple play, however, because things happened so fast, the runner from 1st, F4, and the 2nd base umpire aren't sure how many outs were recorded at third as well as not being sure if the force out was still in effect on the runner from 1st (it was).

- The runner from first retreats towards first, a run down starts, and the runner tries to evade a tag by running into the infield grass. the 2nd base Umpire then signals "out" on that maneuver. (he was already out, it was discovered on the original throw to second)

This is why baseball is the greatest game..... you never know what's going to happen and when you think you've seen it all..... well, you see something new.