Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-16-17, 10:14 AM
All District

Krasula24 is on a distinguished road
Playing league games once or twice?

There are some leagues they play each other twice and some leagues where they only play each other only once.

What do most of you prefer?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-17, 12:18 PM
All District

trojandave is on a distinguished road
It depends on the size of the league. Portsmouth is a member of the Ohio Valley Conference, which is an 8 team conference, consisting of Portsmouth, Ironton, Coal Grove, South Point, Chesapeake, Rock Hill, Proctorville Fairland, and Gallia Academy. Each school plays every other school twice, home and away, for a total of 14 conference games. That still leaves 8 games for non-conference traditional rivalries or games where a school might want to challenge themselves against some stronger programs.

I think that a double round robin schedule will result most times in a more true champion, but in some leagues it may not be feasible to schedule this way.
Old 02-16-17, 12:33 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
I don't like it....especially in leagues that traditionally have only 2 or 3 good teams. Makes for a lot of ugly matchups. It also limits your chance to schedule really good out of conference teams (though I get that some schools are more worried about wins than their schedule). I like the variety of having 9 league games and 13 non-league....much better than I would like to play 18 league and only 4 non-league
Old 02-16-17, 02:47 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
I do not like it do to the fact that many times you will play a league team in the tournament with the current alignment. Playing a team 3 times in a year honestly is just boring in those scenarios, even against key rivals.
Old 02-17-17, 09:44 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
I do not like it do to the fact that many times you will play a league team in the tournament with the current alignment. Playing a team 3 times in a year honestly is just boring in those scenarios, even against key rivals.
Not when 2 of the top teams in Ohio are in the same league. That's great basketball!
Old 02-17-17, 11:04 AM
Varsity

DSM is on a distinguished road
I don't mind the playing two teams twice thing. If they happen to play again in the tournament for a third time, oh well. They should have each other figured out by that time. May the best team win!
Old 02-17-17, 11:06 AM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
I think it all depends on the size of the league. I think teams should at least get 10 non-league games.
Old 02-17-17, 01:40 PM
Varsity

reggiejackson is on a distinguished road
2. One at home and one on the road
Old 02-17-17, 02:07 PM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
I like how the NCL does it, one at home, one away.
Old 02-17-17, 04:27 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
This is part of the reason that you see the same teams every year finish the regular season 20-2 and then lose in the District semi's. We can all name at least a half dozen teams who are in a 10 team league that are guaranteed 14 wins/year because the bottom 7 teams in their league are awful and they play them all twice. If they happen to win the other 4, they're 18-0 and only have 4 non-league games left. This is also why you'll see teams with 5-6 losses making it to Columbus....9 league games, 13 non-league against good competition and they roll thru the District where they play a bunch of those teams who didn't play any competition all thru the regular season
Old 02-17-17, 09:14 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
This is part of the reason that you see the same teams every year finish the regular season 20-2 and then lose in the District semi's. We can all name at least a half dozen teams who are in a 10 team league that are guaranteed 14 wins/year because the bottom 7 teams in their league are awful and they play them all twice. If they happen to win the other 4, they're 18-0 and only have 4 non-league games left. This is also why you'll see teams with 5-6 losses making it to Columbus....9 league games, 13 non-league against good competition and they roll thru the District where they play a bunch of those teams who didn't play any competition all thru the regular season
Sounds more like those schools need to find a different league instead of saying the format is wrong.
Old 02-17-17, 09:38 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
There are sectional draws were a team will play two league teams to get to the sectional final. That seems dumb.
Old 02-18-17, 06:41 AM
All District

JAS is on a distinguished road
Most leagues are formed because of geography rather than for competition. Imbalance in competition is one of the realities of high school basketball.
Old 02-18-17, 08:50 AM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
Most leagues are formed because of geography rather than for competition. Imbalance in competition is one of the realities of high school basketball.
If they are in those leagues because of distance, then the two league games per school would help those schools out. Yes, they may not get as many out of conference games but that means a lot less travel for those teams, saving the schools and families a lot of money. If competition is that important to a gross minority of schools in a league (2 out of 10), then they need to go find another league.

Why should the overwhelming majority have to bend over for 1 or 2 schools? I'm sure in these scenarios we are talking about smaller, more than likely rural schools, where money and resources are probably not bursting from their seams. But you want to force them to travel all over gods green earth, further than they more than likely already do, in order to fill a 10+ game OOC schedule. Sounds a little selfish if you ask me.