Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-15-17, 08:37 PM
Freshman

Dawgs23 is on a distinguished road
Best AAU programs

My son is 7th grade and wants to play AAU basketball. What are the best programs in the Canton/Akron area?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-17, 10:14 PM
All American

yellowandblue is on a distinguished road
Heard Nikey all Ohio phenom is pretty good.
Old 02-16-17, 02:22 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
I am not sure if this is accurate, but I have heard that the best programs pick you and you do not get to pick them. (Sure there are exceptions) Does that make sense? That also may be more at the high school level were exposure is bit more baked in than middle school.

A rather simple google search will expose all the top shoe sponsored clubs if that is what your after. Which in my opinion, is not the best summer/spring experience for a middle school kid unless your top 10% in the country.
Old 02-16-17, 02:58 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Tell the kid to play baseball, play the piano, cut grass for money, play pick-up ball in the driveway. Join a book-reading club at the local library, earn tickets to an Indians game.

Anything other than playing basketball year round.
Old 02-16-17, 03:27 PM
Freshman

Thanks for your concern. He is extremely well rounded, including playing baseball and football. He has also wrestled and ran track. His best sport is basketball and he wants to play more than just the 16 junior high games.
Old 02-16-17, 03:44 PM
Freshman

I see there are several programs that have tryout dates, like Varsity Air Attack, SMAC, Rising Stars, TNBA, etc, but was looking for help incase there were programs to tryout for or programs to avoid.
Old 02-16-17, 04:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Tell the kid to play baseball, play the piano, cut grass for money, play pick-up ball in the driveway. Join a book-reading club at the local library, earn tickets to an Indians game.

Old 02-16-17, 04:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgs23 View Post
I see there are several programs that have tryout dates, like Varsity Air Attack, SMAC, Rising Stars, TNBA, etc, but was looking for help incase there were programs to tryout for or programs to avoid.
Well, you sure have the right approach on being careful of which program you get involved with.

How is your relationship with the H.S coach? Are you at a type of school where the H.S. coach is involved at some level 5-12? If so, I am sure he would be happy to direct you to teams that are solid or other opinions on spring/summer.

The elite team rosters are probably set at this point (that always changes for the right player though, one reason to avoid). What about one more summer/spring of 2-3 hours of individual work a day, find a local Y or gym to play out with the adults 4-5 times a week and travel around scouting summer teams. Going to tournaments and watching the coaches and teams is your best bet to get an idea of what experience your after.

One more opinion, if he is not going to be one of the top two-three players on the team, it can be a real waste from a development perspective.
Old 02-16-17, 06:29 PM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
If he aint played AAU yet then it is to0 late
Old 02-16-17, 11:29 PM
Freshman

Thanks for your comments. It seems I'm kinda on my own to figure it out. As for it being too late, that's ridiculous. He's in the 7th grade. We're not taking about him playing in the NBA, wer're talking about playing extra basketball and continuing to develop his skills against good competition. He's played travel baseball on elite teams the last few years so he hasn't played AAU. He's played against many kids this year that have played AAU and averaged 15 points a game and 5 assists. He more than held his own against the AAU players. To think the only good players are kids that have played AAU since 4th grade is crazy.
Old 02-17-17, 07:57 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Thanks for your comments. It seems I'm kinda on my own to figure it out. As for it being too late, that's ridiculous. He's in the 7th grade. We're not taking about him playing in the NBA, wer're talking about playing extra basketball and continuing to develop his skills against good competition. He's played travel baseball on elite teams the last few years so he hasn't played AAU. He's played against many kids this year that have played AAU and averaged 15 points a game and 5 assists. He more than held his own against the AAU players. To think the only good players are kids that have played AAU since 4th grade is crazy.
He means most of the good teams are set already for this year, which is probably true. (I think that is what he means). Just this year though.
Old 02-17-17, 08:59 AM
Freshman

ksu315 is on a distinguished road
Akron bobcats is good for younger kid just starting out. Highland JV coach runs the program. Good guy cares about kids and their development.
Old 02-17-17, 10:37 AM
Varsity

DSM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
If he aint played AAU yet then it is to0 late
Ahhh, more negativity I see. You just CAN'T be quiet can you? Not at all too late.
Old 02-18-17, 07:30 PM
All Ohio

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
Maybe network with other players from your school team or other 7th gr. teams in your area. AAU and OYB teams are still forming. Most tourneys don't start till early March. Have your son ask some of the older players at school.....they'll know of some local squads.
Old 02-19-17, 08:29 AM
Varsity

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Depends on his skill level and what you are looking for? AAU will get your son 20-30 more games under his belt at a fast pace but may not help in personal development. Depends on coach and program. Personal workouts are also usually offered by a good AAU program at $20 for an hour workout.

Entry level AAU programs. SMAC, Ohio Rising Stars,Summit Elite, Murphy AC, DG Warriors and Akron Bobcats play locally in same tournaments against average competition. Usually have at least 10 kids on the roster and split playing time equally. Usually done playing by mid May. Some exceptions though as they get older. HS and up. Play into July on higher level teams. This is for a wide range of kids who want to play more basketball for pleasure or to work on making their HS teams in the future.

TNBA has several teams at each grade level. Some teams play all locally, higher level teams travel out of state to Indiana, PA ect. 9th grade and up will play in college live periods (April and July) where college coaches can be at tournaments but no contact.

OBC, All Ohio Red play maybe 1-2 local tournaments and then travel extensively for high exposure tournaments.

I agree with the previous comment about checking with your local HS coach although most HS coaches don't have a lot of positive to say abou AAU (all about U) basketball. Lack of development, style of play ect.

Figure and investment of $400-600 for club fees plus travel expenses if applicable.
Old 02-20-17, 12:15 AM
All Yappi

allworld is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Varsity AC gets you the most bang for the buck....10 tournaments for around $275, can't beat that! May be lucky enough to run into a good coach. Some of their better teams will travel a little bit.

Its true though, the bigger/better programs get teams going in December.

Also, there are still some programs that do a lot of good things with the kids. Some pretty good trainers also.
Old 02-21-17, 05:26 AM
Freshman

Grundy is on a distinguished road
Here are the remaining akron-area tryouts that I know about:

Akron Bobcats -
St. Sebastian’s: 420 South Hawkins Ave, Akron Ohio 44320
7th grade:
Day 1: Wednesday 2/22… 7:45 – 9:00
Day 2: Sunday 2/26… 6:30 – 7:45

TOPS-
http://www.trueohioplayers.com/home.html
Tryouts 2/25 - don't know where or what time
Old 02-21-17, 12:02 PM
Varsity

coachted is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Kids should take a break....no doubt. But the world has changed from the 70's. To be good a kid has to put in the extra time and work. A kid needs to play but not 100 games a summer, and AAU is good for them if you have a coach who teaches the game and does not just roll the ball out and say go play. I have been a youth coach, a jr high coach, a HS coach and a college head coach. AAU works just make sure the coach is good. And still do all the things listed above
Old 02-21-17, 02:12 PM
All District

James x2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Best......

LeBron James Academy.......aka....SVSM
Old 02-21-17, 04:46 PM
All American

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Quote:

This.