Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins: Wooster @ Massillon Jackson (2/14)
Wooster 9 27.27%
Massillon Jackson 24 72.73%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-17, 08:55 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel4 View Post
Wooster finally plays a good team and was exposed big time.
Your point is well taken, but Jax might qualify as being a little better than just "good"...........
Old 02-14-17, 09:00 PM
All World

bluesteel4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
Your point is well taken, but Jax might qualify as being a little better than just "good"...........
Totally agree with that.
Old 02-14-17, 09:06 PM
All American

Orangeman89
No offense to Wooster but this was no surprise if you were just even a little familiar with either team.
Old 02-14-17, 09:13 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
No offense to Wooster but this was no surprise if you were just even a little familiar with either team.
I wasn't surprised by the 80, but was surprised by the 52......, after how they went up & down last year.
Old 02-15-17, 09:33 AM
All Region

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Wooster would be a .500 team in the Fed
Old 02-15-17, 09:40 AM
Junior Varsity

farnsworth420 is on a distinguished road
great atmosphere and a good game for the most part. It never felt like wooster was out of it. they missed some shots and didnt shoot well from the FT line and got cold from the 3. happens to everyone. Jax coach said it was the best that they have played all year and the hardest. Both teams are good and may meet again. Good thing about playing a team like this in the regular season is now you can make some adjustments. at no time was wooster intimidated. they did come out and punch Jackson in the mouth and jackson responded. Jax is a darn good team and would have beaten any team in the state last night.
Old 02-15-17, 09:51 AM
All World

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsworth420 View Post
great atmosphere and a good game for the most part. It never felt like wooster was out of it. they missed some shots and didnt shoot well from the FT line and got cold from the 3. happens to everyone. Jax coach said it was the best that they have played all year and the hardest. Both teams are good and may meet again. Good thing about playing a team like this in the regular season is now you can make some adjustments. at no time was wooster intimidated. they did come out and punch Jackson in the mouth and jackson responded. Jax is a darn good team and would have beaten any team in the state last night.
Sorry to disagree but it seemed to me as though Wooster was out of it a minute or two into the 3rd quarter. After halftime they cut it to 16 with a trey and never got any closer.
Old 02-15-17, 11:04 AM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I also have to disagree. IMO Wooster was completely out of that game shortly after halftime, like Mack said.
Old 02-15-17, 11:13 AM
Varsity

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I wasn't surprised by the 80, but was surprised by the 52......, after how they went up & down last year.
That may show the difference in Jackson's defense this year, and provide a different ending to their season. Better than District Runner-up.
Old 02-15-17, 11:15 AM
Varsity

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Wooster would be a .500 team in the Fed
May be the reason they left it and joined a much smaller league.
Old 02-15-17, 11:25 AM
All World

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I had heard Wooster's coach say earlier in the year that defense was a much higher priority this season as opposed to last. So I wasn't totally surprised by the much lower scores.
Old 02-15-17, 11:27 AM
All District

Bigtimesportsohio is on a distinguished road
Wooster vs Jackson available online via Big Time Sports TV. For more follow us on Twitter @btsohio
Old 02-15-17, 11:37 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
May be the reason they left it and joined a much smaller league.
that was like 12 years ago. they are down about 100 students per class since about 2001. leaving the federal was more about the size of the school.
Old 02-15-17, 07:16 PM
All District

Bbear44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
that was like 12 years ago. they are down about 100 students per class since about 2001. leaving the federal was more about the size of the school.
So it's easier to play schools like Orrville or West Holmes with an enrollment of about 1/3 of Wooster, or Clear Fork with half the enrollment? Wooster was just never able to compete in the Fed, and that was a big factor in them leaving
Old 02-16-17, 05:40 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Nice try. They left because they couldn't compete. Enrollment is what it is, but if they were winning titles it would not have mattered.
Old 02-16-17, 06:14 AM
Varsity

SteelerBacker is on a distinguished road
Who wins: Wooster @ Massillon Jackson (2/14)

Quote:
Nice try. They left because they couldn't compete. Enrollment is what it is, but if they were winning titles it would not have mattered.

Truth is the FED is a Stark county league. Outsiders get the shaft at every turn, thats why no out of county team has ever stayed . The league itself is so-so as far as competition goes (look at state titles) when compared to the Cincinnati, Columbus,Cleveland teams. I am sure you all will deny it but....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-17, 07:54 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerBacker View Post
Truth is the FED is a Stark county league. Outsiders get the shaft at every turn, thats why no out of county team has ever stayed . The league itself is so-so as far as competition goes (look at state titles) when compared to the Cincinnati, Columbus,Cleveland teams. I am sure you all will deny it but....
If Jackson were to win a state title in basketball this season would it then instantly become a good league? To most of us, I would assume a state title or lack of, does not equate league status. Many have none but are still very good leagues. JMHO
Old 02-16-17, 08:17 AM
All World

Flood
Quote:
Truth is the FED is a Stark county league. Outsiders get the shaft at every turn
If by "get the shaft at every turn," you mean "get embarrassed athletically and high tail into the sunset," then you are spot on.

Quote:
The league itself is so-so as far as competition goes (look at state titles) when compared to the Cincinnati, Columbus,Cleveland teams. I am sure you all will deny it but....
You're comparing a seven-team league outside of Canton to the entire Cincy, Cbus and Cle areas? That's genius.
So tell me about all of these successful public schools in these areas?
Old 02-16-17, 09:16 AM
All Region

Mr. General is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbear44 View Post
Wooster was just never able to compete in the Fed, and that was a big factor in them leaving
Wooster won Federal League titles in boys basketball when they were there. They beat Bosley both times his senior year. The Wooster/Jackson rivalry was great back then. And there were several people in Wooster who didn't want to leave the Federal League at all.
Old 02-16-17, 09:43 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. General View Post
Wooster won Federal League titles in boys basketball when they were there. They beat Bosley both times his senior year. The Wooster/Jackson rivalry was great back then. And there were several people in Wooster who didn't want to leave the Federal League at all.
Those were 2 good games back in the day. Would have faced them in the district final but had to get past Mckinley and couldnt. Wooster is stuck in the OCC for now. They have tried to make a bid for a bigger league. But travel concerns and cost ( as well as football ) can not make it work. They got asked to get into the Suburban league but again, all travel is 45 minutes to an hour away. Federal League is nice when you dont have to travel more than 20 minutes everywhere.
Old 02-16-17, 11:30 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Wooster is stuck in the OCC for now. They have tried to make a bid for a bigger league. But travel concerns and cost ( as well as football ) can not make it work. They got asked to get into the Suburban league but again, all travel is 45 minutes to an hour away. Federal League is nice when you dont have to travel more than 20 minutes everywhere.
Rumor is a few of the OCC schools are looking to make a change and Wooster is not in the future plans.
Old 02-16-17, 11:53 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Rumor is a few of the OCC schools are looking to make a change and Wooster is not in the future plans.
wooster wants bigger schools and east of 71. mansfield area teams want farther west. it is at a stalemate right now. Wooster would like to go with schools like Dover, NP, Massillon, Louisville, etc. They need to get away from the Mansfield area and head back east. everyone jumps around now. all revolves around football and wooster is not going to compete with the bigger FL schools in football, just not enough athletes. You also have WH that has no where to go. They cant go to the PAC or the IVC. they are stuck and cant compete in anything outside of girls bball and volleyball.
Old 02-16-17, 11:58 AM
Freshman

Good Game is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Glad Mr. General commented on Wooster's time in the Federal League. Wooster was plenty competitive when they were in the Federal League, except in softball and football. Their lack of competitiveness in Football was a large reason for them exiting the league to no surprise. They seemed to be switching coaches every couple years. I wish I knew more details about who wanted the exit, but there were plenty of Wooster folks pleading to stay.

I'm not sure if the previous comments on Wooster's time in the league are from younger folks with no real knowledge of the history or just forgot.

Bottom line is Jackson is very good and Wooster was likely overrated, but not at all a bad team. All Wooster had done up this point was win all their games. Can't fault the team for that. They've scheduled Massillon Wa., Massillon Ja. and Copley out of conference so they clearly want to improve competition.

What a district it will be. The winner will certainly earn it. Hopefully Wooster can get another shot at Jackson.
Old 02-16-17, 01:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
They got asked to get into the Suburban league but again, all travel is 45 minutes to an hour away.
I wanted into the Suburban so bad. Wooster's admins drug their feet, and once the OCC expands West, will have no where to go. Hope they're actively searching, the time is coming.
Old 02-16-17, 01:21 PM
Varsity

Malabar10 is on a distinguished road
The OCC isn't going to expand west. There's nobody there. Ontario and Shelby already committed to other leagues. They might be expanding south though, along I 71.
How about:
OCC East: Ashland, Dover, Louisville, New Phil, West Holmes, Wooster
OCC West: Big Walnut, Delaware Hayes, Lexington, Madison, Mt. Vernon, Senior
Old 02-16-17, 10:29 PM
All Ohio

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabar10 View Post
It would be fun on the football field to see Louisville play those teams, but that basically leaves them with no one closer than 45 minutes. Everyone else has kind of close teams. Maybe replace Louisville with Northwest? They're still an independent, right?
Old 02-16-17, 11:43 PM
All World

3out2in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
It would be fun on the football field to see Louisville play those teams, but that basically leaves them with no one closer than 45 minutes. Everyone else has kind of close teams. Maybe replace Louisville with Northwest? They're still an independent, right?
Northwest enters the Principals' Athletic Conference next school year.
Old 02-17-17, 08:26 AM
All Region

Quote:
Sign me up...
Old 02-17-17, 10:26 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
The OCC isn't going to expand west. There's nobody there. Ontario and Shelby already committed to other leagues. They might be expanding south though, along I 71.
How about:
Most of this was already proposed and all involved couldnt come to an agreement. it would have also included Massillon Washington (except for football). Would have been a great East/West League.
Old 02-17-17, 10:28 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
I wanted into the Suburban so bad. Wooster's admins drug their feet, and once the OCC expands West, will have no where to go. Hope they're actively searching, the time is coming.
Yes would have been a great option.