Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins: Wooster @ Massillon Jackson (2/14)
Wooster 9 27.27%
Massillon Jackson 24 72.73%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-14-17, 08:55 PM
FootsWalker FootsWalker is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-02-07
Posts: 1,478
FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel4 View Post
Wooster finally plays a good team and was exposed big time.
Your point is well taken, but Jax might qualify as being a little better than just "good"...........
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-14-17, 09:00 PM
bluesteel4 bluesteel4 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-28-05
Location: JACKSON
Posts: 2,507
bluesteel4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
Your point is well taken, but Jax might qualify as being a little better than just "good"...........
Totally agree with that.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-14-17, 09:06 PM
Orangeman89 Orangeman89 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-22-02
Location: Somewhere winning!
Posts: 2,193
Orangeman89
No offense to Wooster but this was no surprise if you were just even a little familiar with either team.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-14-17, 09:13 PM
FootsWalker FootsWalker is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-02-07
Posts: 1,478
FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
No offense to Wooster but this was no surprise if you were just even a little familiar with either team.
I wasn't surprised by the 80, but was surprised by the 52......, after how they went up & down last year.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-15-17, 09:33 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 387
my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Wooster would be a .500 team in the Fed
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-15-17, 09:40 AM
farnsworth420 farnsworth420 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-08-17
Posts: 39
farnsworth420 is on a distinguished road
great atmosphere and a good game for the most part. It never felt like wooster was out of it. they missed some shots and didnt shoot well from the FT line and got cold from the 3. happens to everyone. Jax coach said it was the best that they have played all year and the hardest. Both teams are good and may meet again. Good thing about playing a team like this in the regular season is now you can make some adjustments. at no time was wooster intimidated. they did come out and punch Jackson in the mouth and jackson responded. Jax is a darn good team and would have beaten any team in the state last night.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-15-17, 09:51 AM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 4,726
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsworth420 View Post
great atmosphere and a good game for the most part. It never felt like wooster was out of it. they missed some shots and didnt shoot well from the FT line and got cold from the 3. happens to everyone. Jax coach said it was the best that they have played all year and the hardest. Both teams are good and may meet again. Good thing about playing a team like this in the regular season is now you can make some adjustments. at no time was wooster intimidated. they did come out and punch Jackson in the mouth and jackson responded. Jax is a darn good team and would have beaten any team in the state last night.
Sorry to disagree but it seemed to me as though Wooster was out of it a minute or two into the 3rd quarter. After halftime they cut it to 16 with a trey and never got any closer.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-15-17, 11:04 AM
afwpatfire afwpatfire is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-11-09
Location: Stark County
Posts: 3,645
afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsworth420 View Post
great atmosphere and a good game for the most part. It never felt like wooster was out of it. they missed some shots and didnt shoot well from the FT line and got cold from the 3. happens to everyone. Jax coach said it was the best that they have played all year and the hardest. Both teams are good and may meet again. Good thing about playing a team like this in the regular season is now you can make some adjustments. at no time was wooster intimidated. they did come out and punch Jackson in the mouth and jackson responded. Jax is a darn good team and would have beaten any team in the state last night.
I also have to disagree. IMO Wooster was completely out of that game shortly after halftime, like Mack said.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-15-17, 11:13 AM
spirit454 spirit454 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-03-08
Posts: 84
spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
I wasn't surprised by the 80, but was surprised by the 52......, after how they went up & down last year.
That may show the difference in Jackson's defense this year, and provide a different ending to their season. Better than District Runner-up.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-15-17, 11:15 AM
spirit454 spirit454 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-03-08
Posts: 84
spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Wooster would be a .500 team in the Fed
May be the reason they left it and joined a much smaller league.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-15-17, 11:25 AM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 4,726
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
I wasn't surprised by the 80, but was surprised by the 52......, after how they went up & down last year.
I had heard Wooster's coach say earlier in the year that defense was a much higher priority this season as opposed to last. So I wasn't totally surprised by the much lower scores.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-15-17, 11:27 AM
Bigtimesportsohio Bigtimesportsohio is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-04-12
Posts: 221
Bigtimesportsohio is on a distinguished road
Wooster vs Jackson available online via Big Time Sports TV. For more follow us on Twitter @btsohio
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-15-17, 11:37 AM
farnsworth420 farnsworth420 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-08-17
Posts: 39
farnsworth420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
May be the reason they left it and joined a much smaller league.
that was like 12 years ago. they are down about 100 students per class since about 2001. leaving the federal was more about the size of the school.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-15-17, 07:16 PM
Bbear44 Bbear44 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-07-08
Posts: 149
Bbear44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsworth420 View Post
that was like 12 years ago. they are down about 100 students per class since about 2001. leaving the federal was more about the size of the school.
So it's easier to play schools like Orrville or West Holmes with an enrollment of about 1/3 of Wooster, or Clear Fork with half the enrollment? Wooster was just never able to compete in the Fed, and that was a big factor in them leaving
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-16-17, 05:40 AM
spirit454 spirit454 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-03-08
Posts: 84
spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsworth420 View Post
that was like 12 years ago. they are down about 100 students per class since about 2001. leaving the federal was more about the size of the school.
Nice try. They left because they couldn't compete. Enrollment is what it is, but if they were winning titles it would not have mattered.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-16-17, 06:14 AM
SteelerBacker SteelerBacker is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-10-09
Posts: 64
SteelerBacker is on a distinguished road
Who wins: Wooster @ Massillon Jackson (2/14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
Nice try. They left because they couldn't compete. Enrollment is what it is, but if they were winning titles it would not have mattered.


Truth is the FED is a Stark county league. Outsiders get the shaft at every turn, thats why no out of county team has ever stayed . The league itself is so-so as far as competition goes (look at state titles) when compared to the Cincinnati, Columbus,Cleveland teams. I am sure you all will deny it but....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-16-17, 07:54 AM
spirit454 spirit454 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-03-08
Posts: 84
spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerBacker View Post
Truth is the FED is a Stark county league. Outsiders get the shaft at every turn, thats why no out of county team has ever stayed . The league itself is so-so as far as competition goes (look at state titles) when compared to the Cincinnati, Columbus,Cleveland teams. I am sure you all will deny it but....
If Jackson were to win a state title in basketball this season would it then instantly become a good league? To most of us, I would assume a state title or lack of, does not equate league status. Many have none but are still very good leagues. JMHO
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-16-17, 08:17 AM
Flood Flood is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 04-08-03
Posts: 2,781
Flood
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerBacker View Post
Truth is the FED is a Stark county league. Outsiders get the shaft at every turn
If by "get the shaft at every turn," you mean "get embarrassed athletically and high tail into the sunset," then you are spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerBacker View Post
The league itself is so-so as far as competition goes (look at state titles) when compared to the Cincinnati, Columbus,Cleveland teams. I am sure you all will deny it but....
You're comparing a seven-team league outside of Canton to the entire Cincy, Cbus and Cle areas? That's genius.
So tell me about all of these successful public schools in these areas?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-16-17, 09:16 AM
Mr. General Mr. General is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-11-01
Location: Wooster/Avon Lake OH
Posts: 283
Mr. General is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbear44 View Post
Wooster was just never able to compete in the Fed, and that was a big factor in them leaving
Wooster won Federal League titles in boys basketball when they were there. They beat Bosley both times his senior year. The Wooster/Jackson rivalry was great back then. And there were several people in Wooster who didn't want to leave the Federal League at all.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-16-17, 09:43 AM
farnsworth420 farnsworth420 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-08-17
Posts: 39
farnsworth420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. General View Post
Wooster won Federal League titles in boys basketball when they were there. They beat Bosley both times his senior year. The Wooster/Jackson rivalry was great back then. And there were several people in Wooster who didn't want to leave the Federal League at all.
Those were 2 good games back in the day. Would have faced them in the district final but had to get past Mckinley and couldnt. Wooster is stuck in the OCC for now. They have tried to make a bid for a bigger league. But travel concerns and cost ( as well as football ) can not make it work. They got asked to get into the Suburban league but again, all travel is 45 minutes to an hour away. Federal League is nice when you dont have to travel more than 20 minutes everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-16-17, 11:30 AM
spirit454 spirit454 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-03-08
Posts: 84
spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsworth420 View Post
Wooster is stuck in the OCC for now. They have tried to make a bid for a bigger league. But travel concerns and cost ( as well as football ) can not make it work. They got asked to get into the Suburban league but again, all travel is 45 minutes to an hour away. Federal League is nice when you dont have to travel more than 20 minutes everywhere.
Rumor is a few of the OCC schools are looking to make a change and Wooster is not in the future plans.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-16-17, 11:53 AM
farnsworth420 farnsworth420 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-08-17
Posts: 39
farnsworth420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
Rumor is a few of the OCC schools are looking to make a change and Wooster is not in the future plans.
wooster wants bigger schools and east of 71. mansfield area teams want farther west. it is at a stalemate right now. Wooster would like to go with schools like Dover, NP, Massillon, Louisville, etc. They need to get away from the Mansfield area and head back east. everyone jumps around now. all revolves around football and wooster is not going to compete with the bigger FL schools in football, just not enough athletes. You also have WH that has no where to go. They cant go to the PAC or the IVC. they are stuck and cant compete in anything outside of girls bball and volleyball.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-16-17, 11:58 AM
Good Game Good Game is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-16-17
Posts: 1
Good Game is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. General View Post
Wooster won Federal League titles in boys basketball when they were there. They beat Bosley both times his senior year. The Wooster/Jackson rivalry was great back then. And there were several people in Wooster who didn't want to leave the Federal League at all.
Glad Mr. General commented on Wooster's time in the Federal League. Wooster was plenty competitive when they were in the Federal League, except in softball and football. Their lack of competitiveness in Football was a large reason for them exiting the league to no surprise. They seemed to be switching coaches every couple years. I wish I knew more details about who wanted the exit, but there were plenty of Wooster folks pleading to stay.

I'm not sure if the previous comments on Wooster's time in the league are from younger folks with no real knowledge of the history or just forgot.

Bottom line is Jackson is very good and Wooster was likely overrated, but not at all a bad team. All Wooster had done up this point was win all their games. Can't fault the team for that. They've scheduled Massillon Wa., Massillon Ja. and Copley out of conference so they clearly want to improve competition.

What a district it will be. The winner will certainly earn it. Hopefully Wooster can get another shot at Jackson.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-16-17, 01:12 PM
Mr. General Mr. General is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-11-01
Location: Wooster/Avon Lake OH
Posts: 283
Mr. General is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsworth420 View Post
They got asked to get into the Suburban league but again, all travel is 45 minutes to an hour away.
I wanted into the Suburban so bad. Wooster's admins drug their feet, and once the OCC expands West, will have no where to go. Hope they're actively searching, the time is coming.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-16-17, 01:21 PM
Malabar10 Malabar10 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-11-15
Posts: 75
Malabar10 is on a distinguished road
The OCC isn't going to expand west. There's nobody there. Ontario and Shelby already committed to other leagues. They might be expanding south though, along I 71.
How about:
OCC East: Ashland, Dover, Louisville, New Phil, West Holmes, Wooster
OCC West: Big Walnut, Delaware Hayes, Lexington, Madison, Mt. Vernon, Senior
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-16-17, 10:29 PM
jackson03 jackson03 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-03-13
Posts: 613
jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabar10 View Post
OCC East: Ashland, Dover, Louisville, New Phil, West Holmes, Wooster
It would be fun on the football field to see Louisville play those teams, but that basically leaves them with no one closer than 45 minutes. Everyone else has kind of close teams. Maybe replace Louisville with Northwest? They're still an independent, right?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-16-17, 11:43 PM
3out2in 3out2in is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-06-01
Location: Lakewood,OH,USA
Posts: 3,240
3out2in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
It would be fun on the football field to see Louisville play those teams, but that basically leaves them with no one closer than 45 minutes. Everyone else has kind of close teams. Maybe replace Louisville with Northwest? They're still an independent, right?
Northwest enters the Principals' Athletic Conference next school year.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-17-17, 08:26 AM
Mr. General Mr. General is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-11-01
Location: Wooster/Avon Lake OH
Posts: 283
Mr. General is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabar10 View Post
OCC East: Ashland, Dover, Louisville, New Phil, West Holmes, Wooster
OCC West: Big Walnut, Delaware Hayes, Lexington, Madison, Mt. Vernon, Senior
Sign me up...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-17-17, 10:26 AM
farnsworth420 farnsworth420 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-08-17
Posts: 39
farnsworth420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabar10 View Post
The OCC isn't going to expand west. There's nobody there. Ontario and Shelby already committed to other leagues. They might be expanding south though, along I 71.
How about:
OCC East: Ashland, Dover, Louisville, New Phil, West Holmes, Wooster
OCC West: Big Walnut, Delaware Hayes, Lexington, Madison, Mt. Vernon, Senior
Most of this was already proposed and all involved couldnt come to an agreement. it would have also included Massillon Washington (except for football). Would have been a great East/West League.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-17-17, 10:28 AM
farnsworth420 farnsworth420 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-08-17
Posts: 39
farnsworth420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. General View Post
I wanted into the Suburban so bad. Wooster's admins drug their feet, and once the OCC expands West, will have no where to go. Hope they're actively searching, the time is coming.
Yes would have been a great option.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Massillon Jackson Pool tournament Jan. 28th jjk2jc Tournaments looking for teams, open tournaments, wrestling camps/clubs, etc. 0 04-28-16 02:13 PM
Massillon Jackson vs Toledo St Francis DeSales IUDOGS Football 48 09-13-14 03:57 PM
Green vs Massillon Jackson IUDOGS Football 23 09-06-14 01:11 AM
Massillon Jackson vs Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit Scrimmage IUDOGS Football 4 08-22-14 04:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz