Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-12-17, 05:53 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Strongsville D-I District

1. Ignatius
2. Ed's
3. Brecksville
4. North Royalton

http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=18161&not=12

While Ignatius earned the #1 seed from its fellow district members, the choices in the bracket indicate that Ed's is viewed by the majority as the team to beat/avoid. One team (#5 seed Parma), seems to view Brecksville as a tougher opponent than Ignatius as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-17, 06:52 PM
All American

bluengold
Ignatius had 7 first place votes
Ed's had 5 first place votes

http://nedab.org/wp-content/uploads/...ng-Results.pdf

Interestingly, both Brecksville and Parma voted Ignatius as #1 seed and yet decided to place themselves on the Ignatius side of the bracket.
Old 02-12-17, 06:53 PM
Freshman

Smokey95
In Parma's case, I think they were looking for the best route to win one game. Because Ed's and N. Royalton took 1st round games, they would likely be the road underdog if they took a bye opposite one of those 2 teams. And, had they chose to go across from Brecksville, it's likely the 6th or 7th seed would jump on them. So, if they are just looking to win one game, they chose the spot that would ensure a home game against a weaker opponent.

Don't know any of this for fact, but I suspect that was their thinking.

Last edited by Smokey95; 02-12-17 at 07:02 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old 02-12-17, 07:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey95 View Post
In Parma's case, I think they were looking for the best route to win one game. Because Ed's and N. Royalton took 1st round games, they would likely be the road underdog if they took a bye opposite one of those 2 teams. And, had they chose to go across from Brecksville, it's likely the 6th or 7th seed would jump on them. So, if they are just looking to win one game, they chose the spot that would ensure a home game against a weaker opponent.

Don't know any of this for fact, but I suspect that was their thinking.
I think that's too much thinking and speculation. Possible, I guess, but I'm not persuaded.
Old 02-12-17, 07:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold View Post
Ignatius had 7 first place votes
Ed's had 5 first place votes

http://nedab.org/wp-content/uploads/...ng-Results.pdf

Interestingly, both Brecksville and Parma voted Ignatius as #1 seed and yet decided to place themselves on the Ignatius side of the bracket.
I'm not saying Ignatius is better than Ed's, but they beat them twice, including 24 hours ago. How does Ed's get #1 votes ahead of Ignatius?

Very interesting...who voted Ed's #1? The Senate schools...LW, Marshall, Rhodes...and Normandy. Is this 'hood-based resentment?

Take 5-10 minutes and check out the seeding votes for each school. There are some interesting patterns that emerge.

Last edited by CatAlum; 02-12-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-12-17, 09:05 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
I'm not saying Ignatius is better than Ed's, but they beat them twice, including 24 hours ago. How does Ed's get #1 votes ahead of Ignatius?

Very interesting...who voted Ed's #1? The Senate schools...LW, Marshall, Rhodes...and Normandy. Is this 'hood-based resentment?

Take 5-10 minutes and check out the seeding votes for each school. There are some interesting patterns that emerge.

The vote did take place before the second win. Voting closed Thursday night.
Old 02-12-17, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
The vote did take place before the second win. Voting closed Thursday night.
I thought I read somewhere that the voting occurred yesterday, during the day.
Old 02-12-17, 09:49 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
No cat alum results posted about 250
Old 02-12-17, 11:35 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
?????????
Old 02-13-17, 08:57 AM
All Yappi

Voting patterns...

Max Hayes off on its own, left to drown by its buddies in the Senate.

Rhodes, Lincoln-West and John Marshall in one block. Parma, Normandy, Valley Forge in another. The Cleveland publics..."the Parma's are the worst". The Parma publics..."the Cleveland's are the worst". So, they vote against one another...perhaps it's a political alliance or perhaps it's their honest belief, but that's how the votes come out.

And then, the "have's" decide it (Ignatius, Ed's, B-ville, N. Royalton). Doesn't really mean a whole lot...probably no one below #4 has any chance, but it is interesting.

Ignatius and Ed's agree on the other top 3 and the same order (after each other)...

Brecksville
N. Royalton
Lakewood

Looks like the Parma's and the Cleveland's successfully screwed Lakewood. I'm going to trust Ignatius and Ed's on this...Lakewood probably should be #5. They end up #7 with Parma and Marshall slotted ahead of them.

This is like an old fashioned Chicago ward boss election.
Old 02-13-17, 10:33 AM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Cat for God sake who cares? Everyone knows they are going to meet in the finals. Who cares which team is seeded 1st or 2nd. Goes back to what I wrote on Saturday. Regular season is meaningless. I can see how coaches would make a case for either school for #1. The eye test tells you Ed's (in some eyes) outplayed the Cats in both games. Both games went into OT. The first game never should have gone to OT but it did and the Cats dominated. Game two neither school showed a thing, the game went into OT, came down to a wild last second shot in OT and the shot missed.

I suspect game 3 will be much different. I think one team or the other will take control and win the game rather easily. Not saying a blow out just won't come down to a luck 3 pointer or your traditional OT game.

As long as Ed's or Ig's is 1/2 it really doesn't matter. Both should have a 3rd crack at one another. I will say I believe the Cats have the two best players on the court this year. One of which can control the game. Enjoy it now because the Eagles should have a Elite 8 team the next three years. IF the young players grow and show what many think they have in their games, it should be a fun three years.
Old 02-13-17, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
Cat for God sake who cares? Everyone knows they are going to meet in the finals. Who cares which team is seeded 1st or 2nd. Goes back to what I wrote on Saturday. Regular season is meaningless. I can see how coaches would make a case for either school for #1. The eye test tells you Ed's (in some eyes) outplayed the Cats in both games.
I'm not bothered. I think the process is interesting.

I disagree with your characterization of the two games. I think many saw Ignatius as being in control for most of game 1 as the Eagles were in control for most of game 2.
Old 02-13-17, 11:03 AM
All American

That it is. Game 3 will show what adjustments both coaches have made since game 1. Everyone watches a game in different ways. Truthfully, the winner doesn't matter anymore. (I'm sorry to say except with the parents and alum) All that matters now is game 3.
Old 02-13-17, 11:30 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Truthfully, the winner doesn't matter anymore. (I'm sorry to say except with the parents and alum) All that matters now is game 3.
Hmmm...Becker is 4-1 against the Eagles since he returned. I'm thinkin' your opinion on this is a bit too convenient .
Old 02-13-17, 11:50 AM
All American

Really? When the Eagles are 4-1 in the coming years (and they will be) I will say the exact same thing. Along with hockey, football, soccer, wrestling, baseball and any other sport they end up facing each other in the playoffs.

No hidden agenda just the plain truth. Funny things several of your alum (one agreed with me in Saturday's post) agree regular season win or lose is meaningless and that is a shame.
Old 02-13-17, 11:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Funny things several of your alum (one agreed with me in Saturday's post) agree regular season win or lose is meaningless and that is a shame.
Well, I read what he said. He didn't say that. He doesn't like me, btw. Can't understand why. I think I'm kind of lovable.
Old 02-13-17, 12:07 PM
All American

Oh heck yes, just a shining light in a dark tunnel.
Old 02-14-17, 01:58 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Obvious vote would have been 1-Iggy, 2-Eds. Ignatius as defending district/region champs with 1 win over Eds (at time of vote) and an otherwise similar season, seems like a clear pick.
Old 02-14-17, 01:59 PM
Fan of Eagle

And all games against the evil empire count.
Old 02-15-17, 05:34 PM
Junior Varsity

EdzSportsFan is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately once again any of these games could come down to the guys wearing the striped shirts. 1st game Davet shot 14 FT's and Yarian probably 8-10. Last game Davet shot 12 and Yarian 8-10. Very questionable calls in the last 3 minutes inside putting them to the line. Eds shot 15 FT's and Ign 2 bigs shot 22.....same with the first game.

If ticky tack fouls are called with 3:00 to go with little or no contact, then the Freshman should have gotten the call at the buzzer. You can't call the game tight in the whole 4th quarter putting Ign to the line then swallow it 2 minutes later on the same type of call.

Whoever the officials are....they will be under scrutiny to not just put Ign bigs to the line everytime Ed's contests a shot. Before you start with the cliches of losers blame the refs, the game was/is on Cable to validate.
Old 02-15-17, 08:37 PM
All American

bluengold
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdzSportsFan View Post
Unfortunately once again any of these games could come down to the guys wearing the striped shirts. 1st game Davet shot 14 FT's and Yarian probably 8-10. Last game Davet shot 12 and Yarian 8-10. Very questionable calls in the last 3 minutes inside putting them to the line. Eds shot 15 FT's and Ign 2 bigs shot 22.....same with the first game.

If ticky tack fouls are called with 3:00 to go with little or no contact, then the Freshman should have gotten the call at the buzzer. You can't call the game tight in the whole 4th quarter putting Ign to the line then swallow it 2 minutes later on the same type of call.

Whoever the officials are....they will be under scrutiny to not just put Ign bigs to the line everytime Ed's contests a shot. Before you start with the cliches of losers blame the refs, the game was/is on Cable to validate.
And the cable guys (Bacon and Vuyancih - whose son played at Ed's) were all very supportive of the refs calls that they were correct. They were there in person. I watched on cable + followed up with the Ed's broadcast and the Ignatius broadcast … some calls were right and some perhaps not -- but I cannot say the refs favored one team over the other. Ignatius has an inside game and calls are more likely in that case because of contact on the hand, the arm or the body is just more likely on the inside. Ed's offensive game (with the exception of Calhoun) is outside oriented. Less calls occur with that type of offense.

Let's move onto game 3 and the best team will win
Old 02-26-17, 10:03 PM
Junior Varsity

EdzSportsFan is on a distinguished road
#1 Regardless of what Vuyancih said....the Refs in that game gave Ticky Tack Fouls to Davet and Yarian inside...........the 22-24 FT's between the 2 of them are proof of that.

The Refs gave touch fouls that were NOT fouls at 3:00 minute mark to Yarian and Davet then swallowed their whistles on the same Foul at the Buzzer in Regulation. It can't be disputed.....BUT i do agree that taking inside shots all game benefits Ignatius because HS Officials do NOT have the capacity to allow kids to contest without blowing their whistles. More times than not if a player misses a shot and it's contested, the Zebras blow their whistle as they feel like they have to do something to earn their $40 paycheck.

In close HS games, Officials inevitably ruin the game by making it about them. if 10 shots are taken in the paint in the 4th qtr, 8 times the Officials will blow their whistles. The OHSAA needs to recognize this as time continues to pass with NO one holding bad Officials accountable for what is ATROCIOUS Refereeing!

IE. the CCC State Championship that was STOLEN by Officials (hanging on the Rim 2015) - that was a HUGE disgrace and everyone just let the Officials get away with yet another crime.

Last edited by EdzSportsFan; 02-26-17 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Misspell
Old 02-27-17, 11:23 AM
Varsity

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
What do the Eagles have to do to take down the rival in a few weeks?
Old 02-27-17, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagle71 View Post
What do the Eagles have to do to take down the rival in a few weeks?
If the first two games have shown us anything, it's that major adjustments probably don't need to be made. I'd like to see more help defense inside against Davet and Yarian rather than trying to man them straight up. Play with more composure down the stretch, and hit free throws.
Old 02-27-17, 08:21 PM
Fan of Eagle

While heavy underdogs, I think the Eagles have the raw talent to win it. May be a year away, but we though that in 96 and made a nice run.
Old 02-28-17, 09:30 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
While heavy underdogs, I think the Eagles have the raw talent to win it. May be a year away, but we though that in 96 and made a nice run.
Based on...what?

The coaches don't appear to agree with you.
Old 02-28-17, 05:27 PM
Fan of Eagle

Becker 2.0 is 4-1, I'm told, vs his old friend Flan. I think heavy underdog is a legit descriptor.
Old 02-28-17, 06:50 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Two overtime regular season games. Very similar strong resumes in the regular season. I will give Ignatius a slight edge in a rematch, but it is pretty close to a pick'em. The winner of this district is the clear favorite at CSU. The winner of this district will play Euclid district winner in the regional semifinal. As a Mentor fan, I hope Mentor matches up with St Eds. Would rather avoid the bigger and more experienced team if having to pick the lesser of two...programs. Plus I think Flannery is the only coach around that is at Krizancic's level.
Old 03-01-17, 08:52 AM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
The young Eagles need to make foul shots to contend for the District title... its been an issue all season.

Go Eagles!
Old 03-01-17, 10:43 AM
All American

The odds makers in the area have the Eagles a 6 point underdog. It's early. I'm guessing it's 3 by tip. I agree with Slammer, IF the young Eagles make foul shots they win. If not they lose. I expect to see a different game plan for the inside play of the Cats. If the Cats can't open it up from outside that will help the Eagles.

The next 3 years the Eagles should be a final 4 contender each year.