Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-17, 06:51 AM
Smoke Screen Smoke Screen is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Posts: 73
Smoke Screen is an unknown quantity at this point
Planet Fitness

Thinking about trying to get back in the gym. Planet Fitness is only $10/month, but all my "friends" say they will make fun of me if I go there. They claim its not a gym for people serious about making gains. I guess they have pizza mondays there where you get free pizza after working out and they have a barrel of tootsie rolls waiting for you as you walk out the door. I guess if you grunt at all, you can get kicked out for intimidating others. So what does everyone else think about Planet Fitness?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-11-17, 07:17 AM
gneiss rocks gneiss rocks is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 447
gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Screen View Post
Thinking about trying to get back in the gym. Planet Fitness is only $10/month, but all my "friends" say they will make fun of me if I go there. They claim its not a gym for people serious about making gains. I guess they have pizza mondays there where you get free pizza after working out and they have a barrel of tootsie rolls waiting for you as you walk out the door. I guess if you grunt at all, you can get kicked out for intimidating others. So what does everyone else think about Planet Fitness?
Are your friends still in junior high school?
Do your friends belong to the "pizza on Friday only" cult?
Do they hold you down and force feed you with a tootsie roll funnel if you do not take one when you leave?

How do your friends take their tootsie rolls...baked down on a spoon while hiding in the bathroom?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-17, 07:50 AM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Location: Ezekiel 23:20
Posts: 5,423
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
You won't find a better deal than $10/month. Who cares what your friends will think, Planet Fitness has the same equipment as every other gym.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-17, 08:10 AM
gneiss rocks gneiss rocks is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 447
gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Your friends are so jealous of your deal they have to give you crap.
Just tell them they are paying you 12$ to go to the gym... you eat 20$ of pizza and 2$ of tootsie rolls per month.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-17, 08:21 AM
tallmadge H2 dad tallmadge H2 dad is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-22-05
Location: T-town via the Archbishop
Posts: 11,533
tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
I have gone to Planet Fitness every day since August 2015, missing only on occasion (vacation, illness etc). I love it there. I'm not sure what your friends would make fun of. Actually, I never understood why people pay $30, $40 and $50 or more per month to go to the gym. Unless you are training for a body building show or something, I don't see the point. Planet Fitness has every piece of equipment needed, its clean, there are licensed trainers on staff to help put together a workout plan for you. For $10 per month? I mean what's to make fun of? Sounds to me like your friends are dbags
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-17, 08:22 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Posts: 1,118
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Anyone ever set off the lunk alarm
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-17, 09:02 AM
queencitybuckeye queencitybuckeye is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,603
queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Your friends will say "good for you for getting back to to gym". As opposed to your "friends" who will mock your choice. I have no room for the latter group in my life.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-17, 09:06 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 65,687
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Sounds like you'll lose all your friends if you join this place, so it's probably not a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-17, 09:11 AM
Uncle Ted Uncle Ted is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-25-14
Location: Cooling Off
Posts: 8,224
Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Pizza Monday ...tootsie rolls? I might join just eat there on Mondays
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-17, 09:45 AM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,653
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
Pizza Monday ...tootsie rolls? I might join just eat there on Mondays
Pretty sure you can scarf down $5 bucks worth of pizza a week so you could actually come out ahead.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-11-17, 09:55 AM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,653
Possessed is on a distinguished road
So what are your fitness goals Smoke Screen? Lose weight? Tone up? Both? Do you have limited space for equipment at your house or just like to workout with others?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-17, 10:27 AM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 1,682
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
If it's close and convenient there's no reason not to join it. The facilities and equipment will be nicer and better kept than almost any other gym you'll come across.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-11-17, 03:34 PM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 967
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
It never bothered me to be working out with weights one-third or less than what the "in-shape" patrons were lifting. I'm lifting for myself, not them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-11-17, 03:38 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 5,736
thavoice is on a distinguished road
as long as they have what you are looking for in terms of machines/weights/classes and is convenient to go to then go for it.

I go to a locally owned gym in my home town. Less than a mile away, 24 hour access since 2007 when they opened and extremely nice and helpful people.

To me, other than having the necessary items you want, CONVENIENCE is the most important aspect. If it too far or just way out of the way that just builds into those days when you8 dont feel like going.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-11-17, 05:37 PM
EagleGuy EagleGuy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-26-16
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 1,273
EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
It never bothered me to be working out with weights one-third or less than what the "in-shape" patrons were lifting. I'm lifting for myself, not them.
Recently, I heard an ex-pro football player say he now works with fifty pounds to maintain. That made me feel good as I had just worked my way back to fifty pounds (30/40/50).

SS: A lot of good advice here and PF sounds like a great deal! Go for it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-11-17, 05:57 PM
Uncle Ted Uncle Ted is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-25-14
Location: Cooling Off
Posts: 8,224
Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Pretty sure you can scarf down $5 bucks worth of pizza a week so you could actually come out ahead.
I would grab a plate of pizza and watch hot chics work out.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-11-17, 06:27 PM
tallmadge H2 dad tallmadge H2 dad is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-22-05
Location: T-town via the Archbishop
Posts: 11,533
tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
I would grab a plate of pizza and watch hot chics work out.
Can't beat that with a stick for $10
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-11-17, 06:28 PM
Uncle Ted Uncle Ted is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-25-14
Location: Cooling Off
Posts: 8,224
Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Can't beat that with a stick for $10
Nope.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-11-17, 06:35 PM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,653
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Recently, I heard an ex-pro football player say he now works with fifty pounds to maintain. That made me feel good as I had just worked my way back to fifty pounds (30/40/50).

SS: A lot of good advice here and PF sounds like a great deal! Go for it.
A good friend of mine is a body builder. He's 50 now and does personal trading. A couple years ago I was talking to him about benching was starting to really hurt a tendon in my armpit to my pec. I was going 225 for 12, 255, for 10 and then 275 for 8 to 10. After that I'd go around 315 for 3 to 5. He got real serious and said something like "This will be hard to hear..." lol. He explained that he now only does reps of 225 for 15 4 or 5 sets. He said he never goes heavier because he too was having severe pains. He then said he competed that year bigger and heavier than he ever had. Pretty interesting. But, I guess once we hit a certain age our bodies just can't do it anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-11-17, 07:13 PM
EagleGuy EagleGuy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-26-16
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 1,273
EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
A good friend of mine is a body builder. He's 50 now and does personal trading. A couple years ago I was talking to him about benching was starting to really hurt a tendon in my armpit to my pec. I was going 225 for 12, 255, for 10 and then 275 for 8 to 10. After that I'd go around 315 for 3 to 5. He got real serious and said something like "This will be hard to hear..." lol. He explained that he now only does reps of 225 for 15 4 or 5 sets. He said he never goes heavier because he too was having severe pains. He then said he competed that year bigger and heavier than he ever had. Pretty interesting. But, I guess once we hit a certain age our bodies just can't do it anymore.
Except for one summer in high school when I maxed out at ten exercises of one set of ten reps at sixty pounds, I essentially have not done any lifting over the years - at home.

My first job required a lot of repetitive lifting (stock clerk), but nothing over sixty pounds (sugar bales and Karo syrup cans come to mind!). Now, I just want to be able to do the everyday things I need to do, such as work in the yard.

I certainly won't impress anyone with my physique!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-11-17, 07:45 PM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,653
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Except for one summer in high school when I maxed out at ten exercises of one set of ten reps at sixty pounds, I essentially have not done any lifting over the years - at home.

My first job required a lot of repetitive lifting (stock clerk), but nothing over sixty pounds (sugar bales and Karo syrup cans come to mind!). Now, I just want to be able to do the everyday things I need to do, such as work in the yard.

I certainly won't impress anyone with my physique!
Lol I hear you. One of the best over all strength exercises I've found are dips and push ups, combined with dumbbell lunges and squats. Easy and cheap. You can find cheap dip/pull up stations (Power Towers whatever) for around 80 to 100 bucks all day. A few dumbeels and a corner in the garage with daily exercise you'd be surprised in a couple weeks. I worked in the yard myself today. Chopped wood for a couple hours and cleaned up the construction mess from a new barn build. Trust me... you ain't the only one "not as young as we used to be" lol!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-11-17, 08:05 PM
tallmadge H2 dad tallmadge H2 dad is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-22-05
Location: T-town via the Archbishop
Posts: 11,533
tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Possessed and Eagle Guy...thank you, you are both making me feel better about myself
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-11-17, 08:14 PM
Descartes Descartes is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Posts: 2,798
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
I dislike PF very much, but if it will push you to workout, do it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-11-17, 09:27 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 1,682
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Good for you pboy. I'm proud of you.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-11-17, 10:57 PM
EagleGuy EagleGuy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-26-16
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 1,273
EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Possessed and Eagle Guy...thank you, you are both making me feel better about myself
You betcha!

Walking (religious) and biking (any day above 60 degrees) are my mainstays. The last few days I have patted myself on the back: As soon as I get out of bed in the morning I recognize how strong my legs feel compared to, well, before.

Almost feel like a kid again, doin' what I did again...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-12-17, 12:58 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 25,726
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
I would grab a plate of pizza and watch hot chics work out.
I say "yoga" the same way Homer Simpson says "donuts"
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-17, 11:26 AM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,439
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Speaking of working out, Bluth ate a caniac combo from Cane's last night
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-12-17, 01:37 PM
Possessed Possessed is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 2,653
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Jimmy can jump.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-12-17, 05:48 PM
Jhubbs77 Jhubbs77 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-05-03
Location: LA
Posts: 31,139
Jhubbs77 is on a distinguished road
I may try this soon as Fitworks sucks and has horrible management. Way too small as well
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-12-17, 05:55 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 65,687
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhubbs77 View Post
I may try this soon as Fitworks sucks and has horrible management. Way too small as well
Do you wipe off the hair dye from the machines when you are done Jubbs?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keeping Up with Comets at Dayton 2010 Grandpa1 Solon Comets 170 02-03-17 11:39 AM
Just got a pass at Planet Fitness BigWorm General Board 231 01-25-16 11:56 AM
Elon Musk reveals plan to drop thermonuclear weapons on Mars prepare planet for human Yappi General Board 7 09-11-15 11:02 AM
Mt. Healthy Fitness Academy???? jtk Football 8 12-06-14 09:58 AM
Movie: "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" Michael Bluth General Board 6 07-14-14 10:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz