Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-11-17, 12:37 AM
All Ohio

The Dock is on a distinguished road
The Columbus International & Columbus City League dilemma

There is no way Columbus International can compete in the City League North. Too small of a school, too young (and new) of a program and too tricky of a situation in their admissions criteria for them to be competitive in the City League.

They always get blown out, and blown out bad.

What's to be done? It'd be great if International could take a leave from the City League for a while in basketball to get some program building established to where they can eventually be competitive.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-17, 09:20 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Do they have baseball?
Old 02-14-17, 06:23 PM
All District

bsee54321 is on a distinguished road
I see this an issue with the Columbus City Schools Athletic Department. I know they want International in the North to make it an 8 team Division but a better solution should be looked at.
International School could play an independent schedule to play teams that would more competitive with them until the program grows in numbers and in being competitive.
If the Columbus City Schools Athletic Department continues to keep the International school in the North Division then shame on the Columbus City Schools Athletic Department.
Old 02-14-17, 09:00 PM
All District

Scibourne is on a distinguished road
International shouldn't be in the City League but they'll stay there. With open enrollment if they get a charismatic coach they could build the program very quickly. Do they have a direct feeder MS program like Africentric?
Old 02-15-17, 07:38 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
Do they have baseball?
I don't believe so, no. I didn't think they did and the Central District's website does not list them as a baseball playing school for tournament purposes. They do, however, field soccer and they have had some nice squads in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsee54321 View Post
I see this an issue with the Columbus City Schools Athletic Department. I know they want International in the North to make it an 8 team Division but a better solution should be looked at.
International School could play an independent schedule to play teams that would more competitive with them until the program grows in numbers and in being competitive.
If the Columbus City Schools Athletic Department continues to keep the International school in the North Division then shame on the Columbus City Schools Athletic Department.
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibourne View Post
International shouldn't be in the City League but they'll stay there. With open enrollment if they get a charismatic coach they could build the program very quickly. Do they have a direct feeder MS program like Africentric?
I don't think they are open enrollment though, and if they aren't then that is a problem working against them. I know the neighborhood schools are open enrollment, but I believe International is selective admissions (as is the case for Africentric, as is the case also for Columbus Alternative and Ft. Hayes.)
Old 02-16-17, 04:58 AM
Junior Varsity

aztecjim is on a distinguished road
Are there enough similar sized schools in the area to create a new league? A cursory look at some numbers has International, Africentric, Horizon Science, Grandview Hts., West Jefferson, Columbus Academy, Worthington Christian all about the same
Old 02-16-17, 09:52 AM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
International just needs a coach who really cares about the kids and go out there to recruit. They don't have a feeder like every Columbus city school including the Columbus Catholic city schools. But don't feel sorry for them, its a lot of Columbus City schools that get pounded on and are not competitive in basketball.
Old 02-21-17, 10:41 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachablekid View Post
International just needs a coach who really cares about the kids and go out there to recruit. They don't have a feeder like every Columbus city school including the Columbus Catholic city schools.
I don't think they're able to recruit because, like I mentioned earlier, I'm pretty sure their admissions is selective toward a certain demographic of students (ESL students, ex pat's of a foreign country, first generation American etc.)

Quote:
But don't feel sorry for them, its a lot of Columbus City schools that get pounded on and are not competitive in basketball.
Not really, not to the degree that International has been pounded on and certainly for not as long (in terms of duration of a program) as International has. Most of the city league programs, with the exception of Whetstone and West, generally are competitive year in and year out with a few patterns of waxing and waning. And at least Whetstone and West aren't getting blown out of the water every game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecjim View Post
Are there enough similar sized schools in the area to create a new league? A cursory look at some numbers has International, Africentric, Horizon Science, Grandview Hts., West Jefferson, Columbus Academy, Worthington Christian all about the same
Playing those schools wouldn't really do anything, except for Horizon Science. All of the other schools you mention, along with the D3 tournament teams, are miles better in terms of player skill and program development than Columbus International. International is a young program with no history. If they could not play a City League schedule for a year or two and instead play a schedule with the likes of Horizon Science, Tree of Life, Shekinah Christian, Cristo Rey, and other small Christian schools then they would be playing more teams they have a shot of beating (let alone playing four quarters with.)
Old 02-21-17, 12:46 PM
Freshman

Snowman8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Playing those schools wouldn't really do anything, except for Horizon Science. All of the other schools you mention, along with the D3 tournament teams, are miles better in terms of player skill and program development than Columbus International. International is a young program with no history. If they could not play a City League schedule for a year or two and instead play a schedule with the likes of Horizon Science, Tree of Life, Shekinah Christian, Cristo Rey, and other small Christian schools then they would be playing more teams they have a shot of beating (let alone playing four quarters with.)
I could be wrong since about all I know about International is the 10 minutes I just spent researching the school, but it seems that students come from several feeder systems (often speaking different languages) and a coach would only have grades 7-12 to build a program through. So it'll be difficult to find kids who grow up watching International games and eagerly wait until they are old enough to play for them.

While I completely agree that they have zero business being in the City League, I'd like to echo that they'll still get blown out just about everyone else. It's only a matter of losing by 60 or 30 if they leave the City League and play D3 or average D4 teams. I don't see how they could ever be competitive consistently at any level, much less the City League.

Unless they schedule some really, really small schools (possibly non-OHSAA), I bet they will always struggle. MOCAL schools are as small as it gets in OHSAA, so at least they could keep it closer in those.

D2 Horizon Science (5-17) beat them by 28 and Horizon lost to Shekinah. Madison Christian won at International by 4, so some of the traditionally lesser MOCAL schools might be good to continually schedule. Other than that, Cristo Rey, Liberty Christian (in Pataskala), High Street Christian, Village Academy, Torah Academy, and possibly even playing the Ohio School for the Deaf could be good opportunities for wins.

But overall I don't see how they could ever build a successful program year-in and year-out, regardless of conference. Might as well get out of the City league and play as an independent like Horizon Science or Patriot Prep, unless the City League is too much money to get away from.