Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-09-17, 04:32 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Favorite restaurants that no longer exist?

One of my favorites was "Red Barn". There was a place in the Cleveland area that still served their menu but I believe they have closed in the last few years. Apparently there is a place in Pennsylvania that is called "The Farm". Might have to make a roadtrip one of these days.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-17, 05:14 PM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Dayton area Mexican restaurant Cosa Lupita and family style Ponderosa.
Old 02-09-17, 05:27 PM
All American

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Lol... a hot dog cart that used to sit by the from door of the Cincinnati Post Office sort Center. That lady had the best Italian sausage and peppers. Ice cold soda and an Italian sausage dripping with sautéed peppers and onions with chips for $5. Last two times I drove down there she wasn't there. Kind of sad about it lol.
Old 02-09-17, 05:44 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Lunch counter at the G.C. Murphy (local five and dime). Had those toasted and buttered hot dog buns? I miss that.

More recently probably The Red Wells, which was a small local chain. Roast beef gravy sandwich with fried sliced potatos.

San Marcos: a local "real" Mexican. It was just a counter inside a grocery at the base of the High Level Bridge (south side), with a bunch a locals I couldn't understand, giving my order to someone I couldn't understand and everything was cheap. Take-outs were between two paper plates. Everyone was friendly and you felt unique, because you were. Then the yups and neo-urbanites downtown discovered the place. Within two years they've opened about five places and remodeled the counter into an addition that has the same flavor of every chain ever opened down to the faux pictures on the wall and colorful "Mexican" chairs. Good for them, they did open one of the new "in the neighborhood" but it's not the same hang out. I[d have been okay with the new places but wish they'd left the original, the over crowded mess it was.
Old 02-09-17, 07:39 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
"Jake's" in Fairfield was IMO one of the best restaurants in the Cincinnati metro area. We used to bring out of town applicants to this place because the food was so good. Top line gourmet cuisine that was hard to define but always great. The place was in a little nondescript strip mall but even folks from New York, LA, Chicago and a host of other "big" cities loved it when we brought them there. Ditto for European business associates who were always impressed. I miss this place a lot.
Old 02-09-17, 07:45 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Dayton area Mexican restaurant Cosa Lupita and family style Ponderosa.
I was at Casa Lupita in Centerville/Miamisburg, some years ago, when a rare New Madrid fault (or Wabash Valley fault?) earthquake started shaking the whole restaurant...in Ohio!

Loved the old Ponderosa steakhouses! When I was a kid, our family went to Ponderosa on Sundays after church. It used to be a great place for a family steak dinner. Very few are left in Ohio, if any...none in the Dayton area.

A couple Dayton area fast food burger joints that I miss are Sandy's and Red Barn's. Poor Richard's was another burger place in Centerville that had great steakburgers and onion rings...it closed a long time ago.

Some upscale restaurants in the Dayton area that closed: Peerless Mill Inn, L'Auberge (The Inn), King Cole, Peasant Stock, Barnsider...the list goes on.

Last edited by BlackHawk; 02-09-17 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-09-17, 08:19 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
EIB, I believe San Marcos is still open? Could be wrong?

And I will second Red Wells.

Always liked the Sveden Haus.

Kelsey's in downtown. Dominic's in S. Toledo. What was the name of the Greek soup and sandwich joint on Summit just North of downtown?

Miss the old school diners like Bud & Lukes and Mel Bermans but more for the feel.
Old 02-09-17, 08:25 PM
All American

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Delhi Chili. Cincinnati style chili was at its best in the beautiful hills of Delhi. Howard Johnsons, I used to love their orange sherbert. Gregory's Steakhouse, going way back to Downtown Cincinnati in the 70's and early 80's, a poor high school/college kid like me could get a sirloin, potato and salad for about $5.00. The cafeteria at American Financial/Provident Bank, ribs, steak and everything else you can imagine, dirt cheap. The McAlpin's Tea Room on any friday for the best fried fish, stewed tomatos and macaroni and cheese.
Old 02-09-17, 08:32 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
King Kong Burger, home of the King Kong Burger.
Old 02-09-17, 09:09 PM
All American

4cards is on a distinguished road
... loved the Red Barn, Burger Chef, Mister Steak, and the Dutch Pantry. All gone but not forgotten
Old 02-09-17, 09:13 PM
All Region

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Back in the 70s as a young child I loved going to the restaurant inside JC Penny. It was the whole experience and the only place besides (Spencers Gifts) I ever remember enjoying shopping. I would look at the toys and make sure my parents knew what I liked just in case there was a Santa connection. I would sometimes hide out in the women's lingerie area...wasn't exactly sure yet why I liked that??? Then go to the dinner with a bunch of people smoking, order a rueben with fries and pie with ice-cream. Then on to the grocery area and after checkout they would have you pull around back and shoot everything out to you on a conveyor belt, occasionally the wrong stuff. Maybe they were just ahead of their time, they even had a area to get new tires!

Last edited by gneiss rocks; 02-09-17 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-09-17, 09:31 PM
All American

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Delhi Chili. Cincinnati style chili was at its best in the beautiful hills of Delhi. Howard Johnsons, I used to love their orange sherbert. Gregory's Steakhouse, going way back to Downtown Cincinnati in the 70's and early 80's, a poor high school/college kid like me could get a sirloin, potato and salad for about $5.00. The cafeteria at American Financial/Provident Bank, ribs, steak and everything else you can imagine, dirt cheap. The McAlpin's Tea Room on any friday for the best fried fish, stewed tomatos and macaroni and cheese.
Lol you, like me, are old as dirt apparently.
Old 02-09-17, 10:51 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Royal Castle for the birch beer.
Old 02-09-17, 11:36 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Upscale: Top of the Town in CLE and Maisonette in CIN
Lounge: Theatrical in CLE
Kitschy: The Kahiki in COL
Late Night Eats: Coventry Pizza in CLE
Old 02-09-17, 11:54 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post

One of my favorites was "Red Barn". There was a place in the Cleveland area that still served their menu but I believe they have closed in the last few years. Apparently there is a place in Pennsylvania that is called "The Farm". Might have to make a roadtrip one of these days.
Henry Wahner's is in an old Red Barn, and the former Stow Red Barn is actually an HVAC shop now, right ? The menu was different from Red Barn's, but Rax was also a very affordable chain that had good sandwiches and a big salad bar.

Are you old enough to have pigged out at the Tallmadge Buffet ? I'm not sure if it was as good as I recall. I was pretty young, but I always looked forward to going there. There was a smorgasbord called San-dar down in Bellville that was well worth the trip.

My wife and I had our "rehearsal dinner" at the Triple Crown. It was nice both for dinner and for the Sunday brunch. I'm sure you've been there, and also to Little Joe's Pub - and later it's successor at the same location that now sits vacant. All made for a nice evening at one time, down your way. Is the Silver Pheasant still around ?

The Taverne of Richfield was nice while the Coliseum was in operation. The Spanish Tavern in Brecksville was very nice if old Raab and his violin spent more time on the opposite side of the dining room, and Marco Polo at the same address was very good. I've not been there since the latest operation took over. One of the buildings demolished for the McDonald's on 21 in Brecksville housed the tiny Castle Arms. It was staffed only by a husband and wife and their daughter. There was not one disappointing thing to be found in my visits there.
Old 02-10-17, 12:00 AM
All Ohio

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Toscano's in Athens. Brings back memories of me working my game on a date. Typically a strike out lol
Old 02-10-17, 12:08 AM
All Yappi

You just reminded me of Joey's in Solon - it's closed, was decent Italian, and I've struck out with shrimp scampi garlic breath from there, myself
Old 02-10-17, 07:21 AM
All American

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Lol you, like me, are old as dirt apparently.
Roger that.
Old 02-10-17, 07:27 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Nectar in ML Square is closing later this month. Along with Annabelle's, which was next to it years ago, I'll miss them both.
Old 02-10-17, 07:58 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Nick Yanko's in Akron (lost thru a huge fire) ~ met a lot of famous
people in there. It was a favorite of the celebs that would come into Akron
for the Soap Box Derby and the World Series of Golf (Firestone CC).

They had a hoggie sized burger; the Beachcomber, aseasoned burger, served on a
grilled garlic hoggie bun with lettuce, tomato, and a Hungarian relish, side of fresh cut
fries.

:>---

xxNxx
Old 02-10-17, 09:27 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Delhi Chili closed?
Old 02-10-17, 09:28 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
They still exist, but I miss having a Damon's anywhere remotely close to me.
Old 02-10-17, 09:28 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
EIB, I believe San Marcos is still open? Could be wrong?
They built an addition to the grocery store and put a restaurant there. It's no longer the good-ol boy's counter. It's generic Real.

The Greek place, used to be a hole in the wall you'd order through, moved across the road. It's in the former gas station.
Old 02-10-17, 09:57 AM
All Ohio

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Cincinnati - Jeff Ruby's floating place that floated away. Just the salad alone was worth the trip.

Stagecoach BBQ - Commercial Point, 30 mins south of Columbus on US 23. Burned down in a fire ten years ago. Great smoked meat sandwiches and side dishes.

Columbus:
- Jai Lai - closed, replaced by Buckeye Hall of Fame Cafe
- Kahiki - closed. Probably the most unique looking building, especially at night. Awesome to see when I was a child.
- Don't know the name, but a restaurant in Worthington modeled after an old school house - The Schoolhouse? Closed 15 or 20 years ago.

And a steakhouse chain I haven't seen in years - can't think of the name of it, but they had the best seasoned steaks ever. Columbus had a few, but they disappeared by the late 1980's. I know there was still one in Zanesville visible from I-70 around 1990, but it's long gone. I want to say Orlando may have had one or two in the 1990's.
Old 02-10-17, 10:29 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
...Columbus:
- Jai Lai - closed, replaced by Buckeye Hall of Fame Cafe
That site has been razed, some of the memorabilia was moved to
the Buckeye Hall of Fame Grill in the Grandview Yard's site in Grandview
Hgts. this also has since folded, Eddie George has taken over the
space.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-B...39155302798944

xxNxx
Old 02-10-17, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Gooeyz, grilled cheese spot in Columbus that used to be in Gateway area near campus
Old 02-10-17, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Gooeyz, grilled cheese spot in Columbus that used to be in Gateway area near campus
You could always go to a Melt if you need a good cheesy, cholesterol-bombing assault on your arteries. They have to have a duplicate of your favorite Gooeyz offering.
Old 02-10-17, 10:47 AM
All Ohio

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
That site has been razed, some of the memorabilia was moved to
the Buckeye Hall of Fame Grill in the Grandview Yard's site in Grandview
Hgts. this also has since folded, Eddie George has taken over the
space.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-B...39155302798944

xxNxx
Yeah, I went once or twice but I never could get excited about the Buckeye HOF grill at the Jai Lai location. Food wasn't bad, but the place had lost its charm. And I never went there when they moved to Grandview Yards.
Old 02-10-17, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad is on a distinguished road
Triple Crown for sure. Located in Munroe Falls, OH, this was a great place for steak and seafood. They also had a brunch buffet that was excellent.

356th Fighter Group. Located near the Akron/Cantin airport, another great place. The theme was aviation and you could watch planes take off and land from your table. Another fantastic brunch buffet.

Ponderosa. Took the kids there a lot when they were young. Best family place around for the money. You could get a dinner for $7.49 which included the all you can eat buffet.
Old 02-10-17, 11:35 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
Delhi Chili closed?
Delhi Chili has been closed for a few years. Its demise began when one of the owners died. That was followed up by the other owner being unable to find anyone who was interested in buying the place and continuing operation.

There are many posts scattered throughout the "Are you a true West Sider" thread about it. Here are just two that kind of give you an idea of the time line:
http://yappi.com/forums/showpost.php...postcount=2419
http://yappi.com/forums/showpost.php...postcount=3181

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: