Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-07-17, 08:37 AM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Just remember how you see Walt now. A geeky pushover Mr. Rogers. Then wait until you see him at the end of this series.
This^^^^
Old 02-07-17, 08:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Watched episode 1 last night after the Cavs game. I can tell I'm going to love this. I can't wait to learn the characters. This episode mostly focused on Walt
You will want to stay up watching as many episodes as you can. I think once you get to "Crazy Handful of Nothing" you won't be able to turn it off. That's near the end of the 1st season. I think that's the episode Walt meets Tuco for the first time.

Stop in this thread from time to time and let us know your progress and what you think.
Old 02-07-17, 02:07 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
You will want to stay up watching as many episodes as you can. I think once you get to "Crazy Handful of Nothing" you won't be able to turn it off. That's near the end of the 1st season. I think that's the episode Walt meets Tuco for the first time.

Stop in this thread from time to time and let us know your progress and what you think.
I'm pretty pumped after the first episode.
Old 02-08-17, 11:19 AM
All Yappi

Done with episode 2. Walt already shifting from passive to dominate. He and Jesse working on disposing of the body/getting rid of other guy. Walt's wife starting to get suspicious of what's going on.
Old 02-08-17, 12:12 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
You've got a long way to go re Walt and Jesse's antics and peoples' suspicion.
Old 02-08-17, 01:15 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Netflix actually estimates that most viewers get hooked on Breaking Bad after only 2 episodes. http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/23/93...isode-analysis
Old 02-08-17, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Netflix actually estimates that most viewers get hooked on Breaking Bad after only 2 episodes. http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/23/93...isode-analysis
I'm hooked after 2. I can't wait to sit down at night and watch
Old 02-08-17, 05:59 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
The worst part about the show is every time you watch another one after it you realize it's not going to be as good and nothing ever will.
Old 02-10-17, 06:34 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Ok, I watched this episode last night. You're right, when Walt shaves his head and goes to see Tuco...wow! I'm definitely hooked. Watched 2 episodes instead of the Cavs last night
Old 02-11-17, 07:00 AM
All Yappi

Finished season 1 and am on episode 3 of season 2. Things are really heating up now. All the hype about this show was true...I can't wait to sit down at night and watch. I've been averaging 2 episodes per night for a few days now.
So far Walt is my favorite character and I basically feel bad for Jesse
Old 02-11-17, 12:19 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Finished season 1 and am on episode 3 of season 2. Things are really heating up now. All the hype about this show was true...I can't wait to sit down at night and watch. I've been averaging 2 episodes per night for a few days now.
So far Walt is my favorite character and I basically feel bad for Jesse
The thing with Breaking Bad was that not a lot of people watched it live when it first started. I didn't start until after season 3 and binged it on Netflix. Really, if not for Netflix, Breaking Bad would not have had the audience it did at the end. Because this show really requires you to watch it straight through. You can't miss an episode.
Old 02-11-17, 01:02 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
The thing with Breaking Bad was that not a lot of people watched it live when it first started. I didn't start until after season 3 and binged it on Netflix. Really, if not for Netflix, Breaking Bad would not have had the audience it did at the end. Because this show really requires you to watch it straight through. You can't miss an episode.
I watched from day one because I loved Bryan Cranston as Seinfeld's Whatley and Hal Wilkerson from Malcolm in the Middle.

But you are correct, not everyone jumped on board until after a season or two.

It is my favorite show of all time for several reasons.

1). They told a story. There are "set-up" episodes in that series that if shown to someone who had never seen any of it before would believe it is incredible boring and not worth watching. The story was very detailed and after all, there is a bit of criminal in all of us that loves the premise of a dying chemistry teacher cooking meth to provide for his family, yet in the end had nothing to do with that.

2). Characters. Never cared for Skylar or her sister and as a matter of a fact Aaron Paul is a tad overrated in the beginning (not the end). But there are so many awesome actors in Hollywood who never get that "break" or go 30-40 years without ever landing that role that was meant for them. I do not think you could find a better Walt in Crantson, a better Saul in Odenkirk, a better Gus Fring than Esposito, and most certainly you could not find a better Mike than Jonathon Banks.

3). Unlike TWD or GOT where the networks are spoiling the product by prolonging the story to bleed every nickel they can manage from the franchise, Breaking Bad had an end date and they fulfilled it. I'm always a tad let down when good series end but not with BB. It ended the way that it should have ended. Great story. It was like watching a dynamite movie trilogy over 7 seasons.
Old 02-11-17, 02:09 PM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Watched 2 episodes instead of the Cavs last night
Smart man lol
Old 02-11-17, 03:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
I watched from day one because I loved Bryan Cranston as Seinfeld's Whatley and Hal Wilkerson from Malcolm in the Middle.

But you are correct, not everyone jumped on board until after a season or two.

It is my favorite show of all time for several reasons.

1). They told a story. There are "set-up" episodes in that series that if shown to someone who had never seen any of it before would believe it is incredible boring and not worth watching. The story was very detailed and after all, there is a bit of criminal in all of us that loves the premise of a dying chemistry teacher cooking meth to provide for his family, yet in the end had nothing to do with that.

2). Characters. Never cared for Skylar or her sister and as a matter of a fact Aaron Paul is a tad overrated in the beginning (not the end). But there are so many awesome actors in Hollywood who never get that "break" or go 30-40 years without ever landing that role that was meant for them. I do not think you could find a better Walt in Crantson, a better Saul in Odenkirk, a better Gus Fring than Esposito, and most certainly you could not find a better Mike than Jonathon Banks.

3). Unlike TWD or GOT where the networks are spoiling the product by prolonging the story to bleed every nickel they can manage from the franchise, Breaking Bad had an end date and they fulfilled it. I'm always a tad let down when good series end but not with BB. It ended the way that it should have ended. Great story. It was like watching a dynamite movie trilogy over 7 seasons.
So after episode 3 of season 2, I've met Walt and Jesse of course, Skylar and Marie, Hank, Tuko, Skinny Pete and Badger. Not sure I've met Saul, Gus or Mike yet?
Old 02-11-17, 07:29 PM
All Yappi

Not yet, stay tuned.
Old 02-11-17, 08:47 PM
All World

Quote:
So after episode 3 of season 2, I've met Walt and Jesse of course, Skylar and Marie, Hank, Tuko, Skinny Pete and Badger. Not sure I've met Saul, Gus or Mike yet?

** Kinda Spoilerish ** Won't give away the story **

No. Saul and Mike come later and are what's now the prequel in Better Call Saul.

To be fair, Saul is a bit like Walt. But, in reverse. He starts as a bit of a flaky shiester lawyer with the obnoxious inflatable advertisement above their building and preposterous television commercials, but even he slowly starts to 'break good'. He starts seeing the problem with what Walt is doing. It's much bigger than he wants to be involved in.

Which is why seeing Better Call Saul is so intriguing, because it shows how he was, and you're curious how he became the "Saul Goodman" you see at the beginning of Breaking Bad. And actually kinda happy that he thinks the flash-foward intro of Better Call Saul (I won't spoil it for tallmadge) is actually something noble given the dirty world he resided in during Breaking Bad.

And back to your point, irish_buffalo, yes. Wholeheartedly agree, yes. The greatest thing about Breaking Bad is that they didn't milk it out over another five years just because it was getting good ratings. AMC was content with their artistic license they give their shows to end on their terms. TWD, obviously, isn't ending soon and mostly due to the comics they're based on not ending yet. As Negan was the 'big bad' the show's been leading up to for quite some time.

But, it's drawn out. And for as slow as most of the first season of Breaking Bad feels _looking back at it_ it begins rolling like a freight train, and nothing will stop it. It picks up speed. It gets darker. It gets edgier. It's quite shocking how the story progresses.

Greatest episode is "Gliding All Over". It's the Fifth season's mid-season finale (eighth episode, AMC split the final season into two seasons of eight episodes each). I won't give anything away about it. But it MAKES the series and what it's building up to. And leaves you hanging to see where the last eight episodes will take you.
Old 02-11-17, 09:35 PM
All World

Obviously, one of my (and everyone elses) favorite episodes. Everyone could see where it was going from season one but we just could not see how. They did it perfectly leading to the end.

Can't wait for Saul to start back up because I feel they are using the same model. Slow to go, breadcrumbs galore, finally starting to roll.

The toughest part going from the end of BB to the beginning of Saul was going back to the slow to go story, which they've done well ..."it's all good man".
Old 02-11-17, 10:48 PM
All World

Quote:
Obviously, one of my (and everyone elses) favorite episodes. Everyone could see where it was going from season one but we just could not see how. They did it perfectly leading to the end.

Can't wait for Saul to start back up because I feel they are using the same model. Slow to go, breadcrumbs galore, finally starting to roll.

The toughest part going from the end of BB to the beginning of Saul was going back to the slow to go story, which they've done well ..."it's all good man".
Yeah. The first year of Better Call Saul was good... but damn, did it seem like it took forever. The only problem Better Call Saul has is a) characters aging/dying before you get to the Breaking Bad timeline, and b) for the story to work, it has to tie into Breaking Bad's beginning. So, I'm not sure the longevity Better Call Saul has, but I just hope they go with it, and avoid any discrepancies in the story. I think we're a long way off from Saul meeting Walt, but it would be interesting of Better Call Saul goes a few seasons INTO Breaking Bad's timeline to tell the backstory of what Saul is thinking and what he's doing behind the scenes. Even if it's a very quick 8 episode 'epilogue' that jumps through the whole Breaking Bad timeline that leads up to the end.

Either a quick handoff between the BSC/BB timelines, or we get to see the backstory all the way through. And, Salamanca's story needs some explaining.
Old 02-12-17, 07:00 AM
All Yappi

This is good news...I had no idea that Better Call Saul had anything to do with BB. I'm only in season 2, and I'm already thinking how bad this will suck once I watch the entire series. Now, I can move right in to another!
So I just finished season 2 episode 5. Walt has to cover for how he is paying for his treatments. Jesse goes to the meth heads house to "take care" of things because they robbed Skinny Pete.
I'm really in the flow now as I have a good understanding of the characters and where they fit in and their personalities. I also see the "clues" and flash forwards that are dropped all over.
Old 02-12-17, 10:51 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
I think we're a long way off from Saul meeting Walt, but it would be interesting of Better Call Saul goes a few seasons INTO Breaking Bad's timeline to tell the backstory of what Saul is thinking and what he's doing behind the scenes. Even if it's a very quick 8 episode 'epilogue' that jumps through the whole Breaking Bad timeline that leads up to the end.

Either a quick handoff between the BSC/BB timelines, or we get to see the backstory all the way through. And, Salamanca's story needs some explaining.
Having an overlap would be very cool.

I also get your gist on aging actors. There have already been some awkward Jimmy and Ehrmantrout moments that just do not jive with their actual age but the premise is so darn good you simply overlook it.
Old 02-12-17, 10:54 AM
All World

Quote:
This is good news...I had no idea that Better Call Saul had anything to do with BB. I'm only in season 2, and I'm already thinking how bad this will suck once I watch the entire series. Now, I can move right in to another!
So I just finished season 2 episode 5. Walt has to cover for how he is paying for his treatments. Jesse goes to the meth heads house to "take care" of things because they robbed Skinny Pete.
I'm really in the flow now as I have a good understanding of the characters and where they fit in and their personalities. I also see the "clues" and flash forwards that are dropped all over.
I'm envious of you. I wish I could find another show near as good as BB to binge watch. Especially now because as far as I'm concerned when football ends there isn't a damn thing on TV until baseball season starts.
Old 02-13-17, 06:24 AM
All Yappi

Well, I met Saul last night. He's an even bigger schiester than I imagined. I can feel the build up. I found myself really rooting for Jesse and Walt when they were stuck in the desert after the marathon cooking session. I think I'm nearing the end of season 2.
Old 02-13-17, 06:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm envious of you. I wish I could find another show near as good as BB to binge watch. Especially now because as far as I'm concerned when football ends there isn't a damn thing on TV until baseball season starts.
I don't know if you've seen it, but my son said that Dexter is #2 on his all time favorite list behind breaking bad.
Old 02-13-17, 12:43 PM
Freshman

Snakeskins84 is on a distinguished road
My top 9 FWIW,I couldn't think of a #10,maybe I'm forgetting one ???

#1 Sons of Anarchy
#2 Breaking Bad
#3 Justified
#4 The Killing

#5 Dexter
#6 Prison Break
#7 The Wire
#8 Hell on Wheels

#9 House of Cards

I prefer series that have at least 3-4 seasons that I can binge watch..The top 4 are interchangeable and I have tiers as spaced above..All theses shows are good and binge worthy IMO..House of Cards is a lil harder to watch more than 2 or so..Prob a lil above my brain capacity..lol
Old 02-13-17, 01:05 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Fugetaboutit, The Sopranos is #1.

The Wire is way too low.

Sons of Anarchy way too high, and I watched all of them. And if you like SOA, The Shield was better.

Better Call Saul is pretty good, so is The Americans

Fargo is the best thing on TV right now, Ray Donovan is a close second.
Old 02-13-17, 01:10 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Justified is no Breaking Bad, but it's excellent. Very memorable characters and also a binge worthy show.

Just finished Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton. Another must watch. Fargo was also excellent.
Old 02-13-17, 01:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Justified is no Breaking Bad...
True, but it is Elmore Leonard.
Old 02-13-17, 02:41 PM
Freshman

Snakeskins84 is on a distinguished road
Not familiar with The Shield or Golliath??

Never watched The Sopranos (I'm sure I would like it) or TWD(not a zombie theme fan of shows or movies)

I started Fargo and Ray Donovan,good shows,I just never got hooked on them,Maybe I will in future??

I tried Better Call Saul and Mad Men,I just didn't care for them

The Americans(and most spy themed movies or shows) seemed way too smart for me..lol
Old 02-13-17, 03:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeskins84 View Post
Not familiar with The Shield ...
"The Shield is about an experimental division of the LAPD. The Strike Team uses a variety of illegal and unethical methods to prosecute criminals and maintain peace on the streets, while making a profit through illegal drug protection schemes and robbery."

LOTS of connections to SOA.

Creator and writer of SOA Kurt Sutter started as a writer on The Shield and ended up as Executive Producer.

A few actors on The Shield had new roles on SOA.

Some plot connections e.g., SOA sold guns to the One-Niners, who were one of the featured street gangs on The Shield.
Old 02-14-17, 06:22 AM
All Yappi

Getting super intense...just finished episode 10 of season 2. It leaves off with Walt breaking into Jesse's apartment to retrieve the bulk of product to sell it all to Gus for 1.2M. In the meantime, Skyler is going into labor. I had to call it a night, so I will pick up tonight after my kids game. I think I can officially say that this is the best series I've ever watched.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: