Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-03-17, 10:21 PM
Varsity

NotCharlesBarkley is on a distinguished road
Why is Strongsville so Bad?

I thought that transfer kid was supposed to take them to the next level. They are 0-5 with the new guy, 4-12 overall. Do the coaches and players just not care? That used to be a solid program under Joe Lynch.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-17, 10:08 AM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
In defense of Strongsville' poor record, the bulk of the team's talent is in the junior class...Seniors on the roster contribute little as to playing time and/or output...So, next year would appear to be a brighter one for this program.

Omari Peek gaining eligibility at mid-season definitely makes the team more competitive. Without him, the Mustangs would have very little chance except against the weakest of opponents as there just doesn't exist enough talent on the roster. The program (like many others in the district) is just down.

Looking ahead with the balance of the regular season schedule...I see tough sledding against Brunswick, Elyria and Solon...A better chance perhaps against Berea-Midpark...And the Mustangs have beaten Euclid previously.

I have a couple of questions pertaining to Peek though that perhaps a poster can answer for me...First, I understand that Omari transferred in from out of the area (Cincy, I am told) and he has been here the entire school year...If so, why wasn't he eligible to play right away and for the entire season?...Second, and the bigger question for me is, if he did transfer in from out of the area...Why to Stronsgville?
Old 02-15-17, 01:59 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang fan View Post
In defense of Strongsville' poor record, the bulk of the team's talent is in the junior class...Seniors on the roster contribute little as to playing time and/or output...So, next year would appear to be a brighter one for this program.

Omari Peek gaining eligibility at mid-season definitely makes the team more competitive. Without him, the Mustangs would have very little chance except against the weakest of opponents as there just doesn't exist enough talent on the roster. The program (like many others in the district) is just down.

Looking ahead with the balance of the regular season schedule...I see tough sledding against Brunswick, Elyria and Solon...A better chance perhaps against Berea-Midpark...And the Mustangs have beaten Euclid previously.

I have a couple of questions pertaining to Peek though that perhaps a poster can answer for me...First, I understand that Omari transferred in from out of the area (Cincy, I am told) and he has been here the entire school year...If so, why wasn't he eligible to play right away and for the entire season?...Second, and the bigger question for me is, if he did transfer in from out of the area...Why to Stronsgville?
Why Strongsville instead of St Edwards or SVSM? Great question.

Strongsville lost at Elyria in OT, 78-75. Got a big game from one of their seniors that hadn't played much, scoring 25. Not sure why he hasn't played more, maybe he was injured.

Brackets have Strongsville potentially meeting Elyria again. Hard to beat a team 3 times in a season.
Old 02-15-17, 09:32 PM
Freshman

svilleresident92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCharlesBarkley View Post
Why Strongsville instead of St Edwards or SVSM? Great question.

Strongsville lost at Elyria in OT, 78-75. Got a big game from one of their seniors that hadn't played much, scoring 25. Not sure why he hasn't played more, maybe he was injured.

Brackets have Strongsville potentially meeting Elyria again. Hard to beat a team 3 times in a season.
#24 Senior Mark Orszycki had the 25. Not playing because of tendonitis all season and a pissed off bad attitude, probably because of tendonitis all season, but apparently not last night
Old 02-16-17, 08:31 AM
Junior Varsity

PortageCountySports is on a distinguished road
Why Strongville?

Probably because it's a nice suburb to live in...

It doesn't matter if he is good and plays there as opposed to on a "better" team at another school. HS doesn't matter too much when college scouts predominantly spend thir time at AAU tournaments, not HS games.
Old 02-16-17, 08:36 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortageCountySports View Post
Why Strongville?

Probably because it's a nice suburb to live in...

It doesn't matter if he is good and plays there as opposed to on a "better" team at another school. HS doesn't matter too much when college scouts predominantly spend thir time at AAU tournaments, not HS games.
Exactly
Old 02-25-17, 11:08 AM
All American

Regular season ends on a down note as the Mustangs lose at home by about 20 against Euclid (the Panthers were winless until last night). The loss comes on the heels of a blowout win by the Mustangs against Berea/Midpark earlier in the week.

Strongsville finishes with 5 wins 17 loses...two conference wins against Shaker and Euclid, however, the Stangs lost to both teams the second time around. Peek appears to have participated in one lone regular season win...Again, relocating from the Cincy area, why Strongsville for him?
Old 02-25-17, 12:10 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
For him, more than likely, a chance to get noticed by a good school.

Strongsville's also a good school academically. Either way, I think they'll be better next year. They also bring back Bernie McGivern. By the way, how did he do this year?
Old 02-25-17, 02:25 PM
Freshman

VilleBooster is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=mustang fan;Again, relocating from the Cincy area, why Strongsville for him?[/QUOTE]

His dad, former browns player and strongsville coach, Antwan peek, lives in strongsville.
Old 02-25-17, 04:27 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
I see lowly Euclid got their first win - against Strongsville
Old 02-25-17, 04:55 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
For him, more than likely, a chance to get noticed by a good school.

Strongsville's also a good school academically. Either way, I think they'll be better next year. They also bring back Bernie McGivern. By the way, how did he do this year?
McGivern, although a very talented player, may have earned the title this year as the most selfish point guard in Strongsville history, more interested in scoring than running the offense or finding the open player. If Aske had not graduated and ran the point, Strongsville would probably be 13-9, not 5-17.

Coach Collins would be best to find a selfless point guard next season and the combo of Csire, McGivern, and Peek will yield the winning season they should have had this year.
Old 02-26-17, 10:30 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleBooster View Post
His dad, former browns player and strongsville coach, Antwan peek, lives in strongsville.
Did any of the privates make a play for him, or was Peek going to attend Strongsville regardless?
Old 02-26-17, 11:27 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Did any of the privates make a play for him, or was Peek going to attend Strongsville regardless?
Funny phrasing. I can tell that you're troubled.
Old 02-26-17, 12:05 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Funny phrasing. I can tell that you're troubled.
Troubled? Me? Not at all...Actually, it appears that you are though...given that you are trolling the thread.
Old 02-26-17, 04:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Troubled? Me? Not at all...Actually, it appears that you are though...given that you are trolling the thread.
I'm not troubled. I just find it interesting that you gravitate to a perspective of questionable private behavior in a sport where there is far more "movement" going on amongst and by the publics.
Old 02-27-17, 08:49 AM
All American

Quote:
I'm not troubled. I just find it interesting that you gravitate to a perspective of questionable private behavior in a sport where there is far more "movement" going on amongst and by the publics.
And I find it interesting that you (in addition to your obvious trolling of this thread) are commenting on matter that does not even involve your Alma Mater since Iggy posters indicated long ago...years ago...That it does not accept transfers.
Old 02-27-17, 12:43 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
I see lowly Euclid got their first win - against Strongsville
Actually, Euclid has much better talent than most people realize. But so does Strongsville. Both those teams should have been better than they were this year. But in both cases, something is missing. I don't want to say coaching, because that's too easy and I'm not convinced that's the reason. But something was off with both teams.

The good news is that Euclid's and Strongsville's best players were underclassmen. Both teams should improve next year.
Old 02-27-17, 01:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
And I find it interesting that you (in addition to your obvious trolling of this thread) are commenting on matter that does not even involve your Alma Mater since Iggy posters indicated long ago...years ago...That it does not accept transfers.
So, what does the word "troll" mean to you? I've never actually used the word because, to this day, I can't figure out what it means based on its usage on this web-site. On a public forum, I occasionally wander out of my areas of interest. So, I read something about Strongsville basketball (something I know very little about) and one of the commenters takes a shot at private schools, something that I AM interested in...and know something about.

I am somehow legally or morally prohibited from responding? Why is that? Your comment essentially invited me in.

Explain this to me so that I can more fully understand what "troll" means. Were you "troll"-ing?

Last edited by CatAlum; 02-27-17 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-27-17, 01:58 PM
All American

Quote:
...On a public forum, I occasionally wander out of my areas of interest...
Unless Iggy was in anyway involved in making a play for Peek (understand that I am certainly not in any way alluding such) and/or you are able to speak on behalf of all the other privates, I fail to see and/or understand why my associated comment would even generate any concern and/or a response from you.
Old 02-27-17, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Unless Iggy was in anyway involved in making a play for Peek (understand that I am certainly not in any way alluding such) and/or you are able to speak on behalf of all the other privates, I fail to see and/or understand why my associated comment would even generate any concern and/or a response from you.
Well, now you've excluded Ignatius...apparently. Your comment previously could have been read to include Ignatius. In all seriousness (warts and all), I am a supporter of Catholic schools generally. That interests me. I am excluded from commenting on your "shot" at all private schools?

You can call me a troll (whatever the he ll that means), but implying what you did about private schools...IN THIS SPORT...is unfair/inaccurate.

Wouldn't you agree?
Old 02-27-17, 02:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Well, now you've excluded Ignatius...apparently. Your comment previously could have been read to include Ignatius.
I never included Iggy specifically...That was strictly your doing as a result of involving yourself in a matter that you really had no business doing.

Quote:
I am excluded from commenting on your "shot" at all private schools?...
If elect to involve yourself in matters that do not pertain to you, well, that's your choice...That's your call.
Old 02-28-17, 07:18 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Actually, Euclid has much better talent than most people realize. But so does Strongsville. Both those teams should have been better than they were this year. But in both cases, something is missing. I don't want to say coaching, because that's too easy and I'm not convinced that's the reason. But something was off with both teams.

The good news is that Euclid's and Strongsville's best players were underclassmen. Both teams should improve next year.
Unfortunately, the Peek transfer destroyed the team chemistry. Strongsville played better without (4-7) than with (1-10) him. Since expectations for him were very high, no one saw that coming. Hopefully, next year will be better.
Old 03-05-17, 05:39 PM
Freshman

Season has finally been put out of its misery... where does the program go from here?
Old 03-05-17, 11:03 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleBooster View Post
Season has finally been put out of its misery... where does the program go from here?
Strongsville played a solid game against Elyria and could have won it. Except for the start of the 3rd quarter, they played a good game. After a fast start, foul trouble for Mark Orszycki kept him out half a game and with a minute left, he hit a shot bring it to 57-54. Peter Mocho and Omari Peek scored was 61-59 until Elyria beat the press and sealed it with 19 sec left. Fun game to watch.

Strongsville graduates their best shooter in Mark Orszycki and speed/defense in Andrew Nelson and Peter Mocho. There are 3 starters returning in Omari Peek, Shaun Csire and Bernie McGivern which gives them experience. Solid JV player Kevin Lawler should give them better rebounding. There were a couple junior point guards playing JV this year that will be expected to get time next year.

Nobody can believe this current team went 6-18. It does not make sense based on the individual talent of the players. Maybe just a bad team mix. Looking forward to better results in 2017-2018. Can't wait for the season to start, miss it already, lol.
Old 03-09-17, 05:26 PM
All American

News blurb from the District's website says that coach Collins will not be returning to the Mustang basketball program...Lucky guy.
Old 03-09-17, 05:49 PM
Varsity

Quote:
News blurb from the District's website says that coach Collins will not be returning to the Mustang basketball program...Lucky guy.
Lucky is right. I head their freshmen team was 2-20, average height, 5' 6".

Nice
Old 03-09-17, 06:17 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCharlesBarkley View Post
Lucky is right. I head their freshmen team was 2-20, average height, 5' 6".

Nice
They may not have won much but they are not that short.

The JV team had a winning record although JV Coach Ryan Kilbane will
not be back.
Old 03-09-17, 09:33 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Here's a thought. I ran into the perfect guy to bring Strongsville back; guy by the name of Joe Lynch, assistant at Avon.

Oh wait, they had him and thought the grass was greener. Now, they don't deserve a classy guy like Joe!
Old 03-09-17, 09:49 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
Here's a thought. I ran into the perfect guy to bring Strongsville back; guy by the name of Joe Lynch, assistant at Avon.

Oh wait, they had him and thought the grass was greener. Now, they don't deserve a classy guy like Joe!
Coach Lynch was not forced out. That is not fair statement. If you even ask him, as he comes back often, he left on his own terms.
Old 03-09-17, 09:50 PM
All District

deuces dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svilleresident92 View Post
Strongsville played a solid game against Elyria and could have won it. Except for the start of the 3rd quarter, they played a good game. After a fast start, foul trouble for Mark Orszycki kept him out half a game and with a minute left, he hit a shot bring it to 57-54. Peter Mocho and Omari Peek scored was 61-59 until Elyria beat the press and sealed it with 19 sec left. Fun game to watch.

Strongsville graduates their best shooter in Mark Orszycki and speed/defense in Andrew Nelson and Peter Mocho. There are 3 starters returning in Omari Peek, Shaun Csire and Bernie McGivern which gives them experience. Solid JV player Kevin Lawler should give them better rebounding. There were a couple junior point guards playing JV this year that will be expected to get time next year.

Nobody can believe this current team went 6-18. It does not make sense based on the individual talent of the players. Maybe just a bad team mix. Looking forward to better results in 2017-2018. Can't wait for the season to start, miss it already, lol.
I am hearing Peek may prep or go back to Walnut Hills.They will be loaded if he returns with Peek,Gibson and Lawal