Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-02-17, 01:58 PM
Varsity

NEOballer is on a distinguished road
DII Stow District

Benedictine
Chagrin Falls
Cleveland Central Catholic
Crestwood
CVCA
East Tech
Orange
Ravenna
Revere
Streetsboro
University
Woodridge

Who is the favorite here? Seems to always be teams coming and going from this district. Anyone seen these teams in action this year? Any head to head match-ups from the season?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-17, 03:30 PM
All Ohio

ora et labora is on a distinguished road
Benedictine / East Tech in one semi,
CCC / Woodridge in the other.
Benedictine beats CCC in district final and moves on.

Last edited by ora et labora; 02-13-17 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-02-17, 05:45 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Woodridge and East Tech have great records, but I'm not seeing anything in their strengths of schedule that lead me to believe either one can beat Benedictine or Central Catholic. Short an improbable upset, I also agree that it will come down to the Bengals and the Ironmen for the title. Benny won big in their early season meeting, but a lot can change in a few months.
Old 02-02-17, 05:56 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Woodridge (17-0)
Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy (10-5)
Streetsboro (10-7)
Crestwood (8-6)
Revere (7-9)
Ravenna (0-16)

Anyone have records for the remaining teams?
Old 02-02-17, 08:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
Woodridge and East Tech have great records, but I'm not seeing anything in their strengths of schedule that lead me to believe either one can beat Benedictine or Central Catholic. Short an improbable upset, I also agree that it will come down to the Bengals and the Ironmen for the title. Benny won big in their early season meeting, but a lot can change in a few months.
Remember Bennies '01, The meeting in December was our varsity against the CCC JV team. The CCC varsity team was suspended for that game. So we can toss that result out the window.
Old 02-02-17, 08:22 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Woodridge (17-0)
Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy (10-5)
Streetsboro (10-7)
Crestwood (8-6)
Revere (7-9)
Ravenna (0-16)

Anyone have records for the remaining teams?
Cleveland Benedictine 12-3
CCC 8-6
Old 02-02-17, 09:51 PM
Go Buckeyes

Just looking at some scores, it looks like it's Benedictine versus CCC. Woodridge should have a good chance to get to one of the semifinals. I would say the 4th team is a real tossup. I would put Revere, CVCA, Streetsboro and East Tech as the best bets.

Here are some comparative scores between East Tech and Revere:
East Tech 110, Lincoln West 29
Revere 82, Lincoln West 59
Cornerstone Christian 73, East Tech 43
Cornerstone Christian 68, Revere 63
East Tech 84, John Hay 79 (2OT)
Revere 74, John Hay 62
Old 02-03-17, 05:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ora et labora View Post
Remember Bennies '01, The meeting in December was our varsity against the CCC JV team. The CCC varsity team was suspended for that game. So we can toss that result out the window.
Oh, wow, thanks for reminding me, I completely forgot about that!
Old 02-13-17, 01:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Benedictine / East Tech in one semi,
CCC / Woodridge in the other.
Benedictine beats CCC in district final and moves on.
Bracket is out:
1. Benedictine
2. Woodridge
3. CCC
4. East Tech

CCC is playing some very good ball as of late. Benedictine had a small mid-season stumble. I'm still going as posted above with Benedictine beating CCC in what should be a very entertaining game.
Old 02-14-17, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
It still amazes me how they decide where to locate the District sites. The strength of the District is in the urban core of CLE yet they have the District in Summit County a couple miles off of the nearest freeway? There are some great gyms in Southeast Cuyahoga County that are centrally located for these schools yet teams that are just a couple miles a part will have to drive an hour away to play a game. But then again the connected folks at Stow wouldn't be there again over charging for things like parking and concessions.
Old 02-14-17, 10:33 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
It still amazes me how they decide where to locate the District sites. The strength of the District is in the urban core of CLE yet they have the District in Summit County a couple miles off of the nearest freeway? There are some great gyms in Southeast Cuyahoga County that are centrally located for these schools yet teams that are just a couple miles a part will have to drive an hour away to play a game. But then again the connected folks at Stow wouldn't be there again over charging for things like parking and concessions.
I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, just wondering who has to drive an HOUR to Stow?
Old 02-14-17, 11:07 AM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The sites have to want to host and that seems to be an issue.

They can't just put them wherever they want.
Old 02-14-17, 11:55 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post
I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, just wondering who has to drive an HOUR to Stow?
Teams are not jumping into cars to drive them to Stow, they have to take a school bus. So, that being said, 6 out of the 12 teams (Benedictine, CCC, East Tech, Orange, Chagrin Falls, & University School) are a good hour, by bus, away from Stow. Also, with the games starting at 7:00 PM, teams will want to be at the gym, no later than 6:00, which means travel for these teams up the I-271 / Rt. 8 corridor during rush hour will make the trip even longer
Old 02-14-17, 11:57 AM
Go Buckeyes

I didn't think Stow charged for parking anymore? I know they did 6-7 years ago but I thought a new rule by the OHSAA prevented most districts from charging for parking.
Old 02-14-17, 11:59 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Teams are not jumping into cars to drive them to Stow, they have to take a school bus. So, that being said, 6 out of the 12 teams are a good hour, by bus, away from Stow
Good point, I wonder how much time needs to be added on to what is typically a 40 minute drive.
Old 02-14-17, 12:00 PM
All Region

stoike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I didn't think Stow charged for parking anymore? I know they did 6-7 years ago but I thought a new rule by the OHSAA prevented most districts from charging for parking.
Stow doesn't, but Copley always has.
Old 02-14-17, 12:01 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As recently as last year the Canton Civic Center charged for parking.
Old 02-14-17, 12:19 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
As someone mentioned, the OHSAA can't just pick any gym and hold tourney games there, the school has to offer. It takes a lot of work and people to host tournament games and fewer and fewer schools are wanting to go to the hassle for what it brings them in return ($$). If a school has good boys and girls teams it makes it even tougher as people won't commit to volunteering at the tourney site if that school's teams are playing somewhere else the same night. If you know of a school you'd like to host, call the AD and ask if he's offered....I'm willing to bet the answer is no
Old 02-14-17, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Teams are not jumping into cars to drive them to Stow, they have to take a school bus. So, that being said, 6 out of the 12 teams (Benedictine, CCC, East Tech, Orange, Chagrin Falls, & University School) are a good hour, by bus, away from Stow. Also, with the games starting at 7:00 PM, teams will want to be at the gym, no later than 6:00, which means travel for these teams up the I-271 / Rt. 8 corridor during rush hour will make the trip even longer
I live in Kent, less than a mile from Stow High School. I could walk there. It takes me just under an hour to go to St. Ignatius High School west of downtown; just over an hour to go to Lakewood Stadium. I doubt it takes an hour to reach Stow High from Benedictine, which is just outside Shaker Heights.

Orange High School is 30 minutes, at most, from Stow High, right down Rt. 91. US is also about 30 minutes, also down 91. Chagrin Falls is maybe 40 minutes tops, down 306/43 into Kent, to Fairchild Road, which is renamed Graham Road at the Stow City limits.

Six of the 12 schools in the Stow district are from Summit or Portage counties. Will any of those six reach the district final? Probably not, but no one can assume that.

Maybe Stow isn't equidistant from every school in the district, but can anyone name a better gym in SE Cuyahoga County? This same discussion came up last year and no one could. Nordonia is closer to the Cleveland schools. They've got a decent gym, but it's not as big or nice as Stow's. And isn't Nordonia hosting a lower-division district?

Stow has one of the nicest gyms around. There's ample parking. And while it's a couple of miles from Route 8, it's a straight shot on Graham. It's not the end of the world, people.
Old 02-14-17, 01:56 PM
All Ohio

Per mapquest:
Orange HS to SMF HS is 29.4 miles, so unless the school bus is traveling 60 MPH down Rt 91 during rush hour and stopping at no traffic lights, I think you estimate of "30 minutes at most" is a little off.
Benedictine is 31.6 miles from SMF HS. Mapquest has it 46 minutes by car under normal traffic, so again, on a school bus in rush hour, you are talking over an hour.
Old 02-14-17, 01:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I live in Kent, less than a mile from Stow High School. I could walk there. It takes me just under an hour to go to St. Ignatius High School west of downtown; just over an hour to go to Lakewood Stadium. I doubt it takes an hour to reach Stow High from Benedictine, which is just outside Shaker Heights.

Orange High School is 30 minutes, at most, from Stow High, right down Rt. 91. US is also about 30 minutes, also down 91. Chagrin Falls is maybe 40 minutes tops, down 306/43 into Kent, to Fairchild Road, which is renamed Graham Road at the Stow City limits.
At what time of day Meta? Ever seen the 480, 271, Route 8 corridor from 4-6 heading out of town? It has to be a parking lot plus Benny and East Tech are not that close to any freeway like Iggy. Much easier to head into town at that time of day.

Quote:
Six of the 12 schools in the Stow district are from Summit or Portage counties. Will any of those six reach the district final? Probably not, but no one can assume that.

Maybe Stow isn't equidistant from every school in the district, but can anyone name a better gym in SE Cuyahoga County? This same discussion came up last year and no one could. Nordonia is closer to the Cleveland schools. They've got a decent gym, but it's not as big or nice as Stow's. And isn't Nordonia hosting a lower-division district?

Stow has one of the nicest gyms around. There's ample parking. And while it's a couple of miles from Route 8, it's a straight shot on Graham. It's not the end of the world, people.
Agree it's not the end of the world but there are better options if so pursued. What about Bedford? They have no problems hosting football games and are right off the freeway. Warrensville use to host the Div I Districts and always can use the $s. Maple is another gym the right size for Div II, this is one that may be lacking the desire to host but then again a similar demographic in Garfield Hts who hosts a District so I could see Maple doing it. I suspect there may be another motive behind the placement of this District and it is not race.
Old 02-14-17, 02:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
They charged for volleyball playoffs this past fall.
Old 02-14-17, 02:03 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Nordonia is closer to the Cleveland schools. They've got a decent gym, but it's not as big or nice as Stow's. And isn't Nordonia hosting a lower-division district?
Stow is plenty big enough to handle virtually any size crowd. Most of the crowds at Stow are very small due to the schools that get to the finals most years. But every once in a while, a school with a big following gets to the semifinals or finals and needs the extra space. Nordonia could handle the crowds most years but is significantly smaller than Stow and would be overwhelmed with a big game. Plus, Stow has ample parking for any size crowd, Nordonia would be limited.
Old 02-14-17, 02:05 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
They charged for volleyball playoffs this past fall.
Maybe something changed then. I know that I went to Stow for the DII basketball tournament for over 10 years. They stopped charging for basketball a while ago. Maybe they found a few more volunteers to collect the money...
Old 02-14-17, 02:16 PM
All World

3out2in is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
At what time of day Meta? Ever seen the 480, 271, Route 8 corridor from 4-6 heading out of town? It has to be a parking lot plus Benny and East Tech are not that close to any freeway like Iggy. Much easier to head into town at that time of day.

Agree it's not the end of the world but there are better options if so pursued. What about Bedford? They have no problems hosting football games and are right off the freeway. Warrensville use to host the Div I Districts and always can use the $s. Maple is another gym the right size for Div II, this is one that may be lacking the desire to host but then again a similar demographic in Garfield Hts who hosts a District so I could see Maple doing it. I suspect there may be another motive behind the placement of this District and it is not race.
Maple is a nice gym. Brecksville would be ideal for size, parking and location although they stopped hosting DI a few years back and that tournament went to a god awful location in Strongsville.
Old 02-14-17, 02:50 PM
Go Buckeyes

Just have to remember that Stow is a good fit for these schools:

Crestwood
CVCA
Ravenna
Revere
Streetsboro
Woodridge

If you could take these schools from the Canton DII, it would be central to all the teams:

Buchtel
Field
Kenmore
StV
Tallmadge

For the Canton DII district, most of the teams are North of Canton and it's a bit of a trip down there, especially during heavy traffic. Those games should be at Barberton.
Old 02-14-17, 03:11 PM
Varsity

NEOballer is on a distinguished road
The location will never be perfect. As guys have mentioned it takes a school with the right facilities and desire to host. This district is so spread out and has to combine cleveland and akron schools.

Why are the semi-final games on separate nights? Is this common amoung other districts. Seems like a big advantage to have an extra days rest at this point in the season.
Old 02-14-17, 03:14 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOballer View Post
The location will never be perfect. As guys have mentioned it takes a school with the right facilities and desire to host. This district is so spread out and has to combine cleveland and akron schools.

Why are the semi-final games on separate nights? Is this common amoung other districts. Seems like a big advantage to have an extra days rest at this point in the season.
NEDAB started doing this a few years ago.

More money, is what I'm guessing.
Old 02-14-17, 05:58 PM
All Yappi

I guess it could be worse. I remember in the early 2000s Benedictine was assigned to Madison, which was a much longer trip. And, to make matters worse, sectional games were played at district sites as well, not hosted by the higher-seeded team as is current practice.
Old 02-14-17, 09:04 PM
All World

3out2in is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
NEDAB started doing this a few years ago.

More money, is what I'm guessing.
That is exactly why they did it.