Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-02-17, 09:03 AM
All American

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Sports like girls soccer have been calculated to result in 33 concussions per 100,000 player outings and wrestling has about 24 concussions per 100,000 player outings a year, according to The Head Case Co. In comparison, the most recent study — completed in 2012 — shows that at least one football player sustains a concussion for every game played.
On the same note, while soccer has fewer concussions per year when compared to football, the severity of concussions sustained in soccer is significantly higher.
"Recent studies show that soccer has surpassed football," said neurologist Peter A. Puzio from Augusta Health Neurology. "As soccer grows in popularity, so does the incidence of concussion. There's not a perfect a number because it all depends on the severity of each one, but there is a cumulative effect of concussions. One is bad, but it depends on the severity of the concussions."

EP.. you should be tired of me making you look stupid by now man. Football is only responsible for 47% of concussions while soccer is 33% followed by wrestling. The severity of concussions in soccer is typically worse and coupled with the fact soccer is right behind football in percentages would merit a discussion concerning helmets when football is getting adjustments to helmets and soccer players don't even wear them.
Concussions are a real issue in girls soccer (which is what I'm most familiar with) My daughter has had Club games where 3-4 players on each team were being held out due to concussion or protocol. She has never officially been "concussed" but does complain of headaches on occasion. My son played football from 3rd grade through HS. Concussions were never an issue with him and he has no symptoms two years out.
Old 02-02-17, 09:06 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
There's definitely a gender issue at play between girls and boys soccer when it comes to concussions and head injuries. Women are 2-3x more likely to suffer a concussion than boys in the sports that both play.
Old 02-02-17, 09:07 AM
All American

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Different per incident rate denominator of 10k used here instead of 100k in the other. What this tells me is football is the most dangerous sport, since men's soccer concissionrates aren't even close to football and women are more highly at risk to concussion injuries than men.
What it says is soccer is right behind football for concussions. You seem to be ignoring the severity aspect of the findings. Point is... while everyone is going nuts over FB concussions the number two sport for that same injury is helmet free. Hockey wears a helmet. LX wears a helmet. Wrestlers wear headgear to protect ears. So when is someone going to address the protective headgear or lack thereof of a sport that is at least in the top three for concussions while they're doing all this experiementing with FB helmets?
Old 02-02-17, 09:13 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
What it says is soccer is right behind football for concussions. You seem to be ignoring the severity aspect of the findings. Point is... while everyone is going nuts over FB concussions the number two sport for that same injury is helmet free. Hockey wears a helmet. LX wears a helmet. Wrestlers wear headgear to protect ears. So when is someone going to address the protective headgear or lack thereof of a sport that is at least in the top three for concussions while they're doing all this experiementing with FB helmets?
Why are you ignoring the low concussion rate for boys soccer? The focus should be on why girls suffer concussions at a significantly higher rate than boys playing the same sports. Also why ignore the CET studies that demonstratively show the repetitive headblows suffered over the course of a football career is linked to the disease? It doesn't really bother me one way or the other, but burying your head in the sand to facts it a pretty ignorant position to hold.
Old 02-02-17, 11:00 AM
All Region

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I will be teaching my child two things. Punting and kicking
Old 02-02-17, 11:26 AM
All American

Quote:
I figured you wouldn't bother trying to formulate an intelligent response.
And I figured you would ignore all the comments in the study.
Old 02-02-17, 11:28 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
I didn't.
Old 02-02-17, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How about you go play a HS football game.

Then go play a soccer game

Tell me which one you are more worried about getting a concussion from.
Old 02-02-17, 11:51 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post

It doesn't matter what he's worried about, the facts are pretty clear the concussion rate for football dwarfs the concussion rate for boys soccer, it's not even close. And that doesn't even take into consideration the accumulation of no-symptom related repetitive blows that cause CTE that is prevalent in retired NFL players. He'll just talk about girls soccer again.
Old 02-02-17, 11:52 AM
All District

#Hashtag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I know the purists hate my idea but I don't know why they haven't changed the helmets to include the rubber helmet caps like this:

Instead of just being a protective device, helmets are a weapon in football. They need keep the protective part and diminish the weapon part of the helmet.

Honest (though likely dumb) question ----

If 2 rubber helmets hit, isn't there the potential for the 2 helmets to slightly latch on and not completely slide off one another like a smooth surfaced helmet would?

If they don't slide off each other, then won't you have more neck injuries with the neck going one way, but the helmet staying in another place?
Old 02-02-17, 04:43 PM
All Ohio

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Our doctor who loved sports told me that a boy should not lift weights or play football until he was at least 14. He also said he understood why boys did not want to wait. My mother was dead against me playing football finally talk her into it my Jr. year . Never played before that. First year I learn how to play. Sr year I was a starter and put many that had played from the seven grade on to spending time on the bench. Part of it is how bad do you want something.
Old 02-02-17, 04:57 PM
All Yappi

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Hashtag View Post
Honest (though likely dumb) question ----

If 2 rubber helmets hit, isn't there the potential for the 2 helmets to slightly latch on and not completely slide off one another like a smooth surfaced helmet would?

If they don't slide off each other, then won't you have more neck injuries with the neck going one way, but the helmet staying in another place?
Just put some Vaseline on the helmet. That way when two big black helmets collide they will just slip into place
Old 02-02-17, 05:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I will be teaching my child two things. Punting and kicking
Pansy. I taught my kids how to deliver death blows. You have to be the one delivering the hits and not be The kicker that gets pansy punted by the other players. If your kids aren't tough enough to take a few blows to the head, then don't play. Create a flag football team or join cheer leading.
Old 02-02-17, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

I used to drop a ten lb medicine ball on my kids head every day during the summer months. Sometimes I would do it when they weren't ready. It helps to surprise them by dropping it from the roof right before they walk in the house.
Old 02-02-17, 05:22 PM
All American

Quote:
It doesn't matter what he's worried about, the facts are pretty clear the concussion rate for football dwarfs the concussion rate for boys soccer, it's not even close. And that doesn't even take into consideration the accumulation of no-symptom related repetitive blows that cause CTE that is prevalent in retired NFL players. He'll just talk about girls soccer again.
Lol wow... the study numbers for football don't "dwarf" the girls numbers so you go with boys soccer eh? Nice.
Old 02-02-17, 05:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post

According to the article the concussions are worse in soccer.

Hit yourself in the head with a bat.

Then hit yourself in the head with a bat wearing a helmet.

Tell me which one you're worried about getting a concussion from.
Old 02-02-17, 05:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
I used to drop a ten lb medicine ball on my kids head every day during the summer months. Sometimes I would do it when they weren't ready. It helps to surprise them by dropping it from the roof right before they walk in the house.
I used to like to shut my offsprings head in car doors. Sometimes forearm to the back of head, but that only works really well until they turn about 4. Then they get better balance and don't fall over.
Old 02-02-17, 05:39 PM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Lol wow... the study numbers for football don't "dwarf" the girls numbers so you go with boys soccer eh? Nice.
Yup, apples to apples. We already identified there was a difference incidence rate due to gender.
Old 02-02-17, 10:12 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
You guys are killing me.

The brain is suspended in cerebrospinal fluid, which is adequate to protect the brain during most normal activities. Football and soccer are not normal activities.

The brain is a delicate object with significant mass, about 3 lbs (less for some of you). Objects at rest tend to stay at rest; objects in motion tend to stay in motion. If a person's head is moving quickly, and then it stops moving very abruptly, that person's brain will continue to move in the cerebrospinal fluid. If a person's head is still, and he or she is struck in a manner that causes their head to move rapidly, the head will move before the brain. In both cases, the brain may strike against the inside of the skull, causing injury. Rapid motions in some directions inside the skull may also cause torsional forces that result in injury to the brain.

The brain injuries with immediate appreciable effect are concussions. Along with concussions, repeated minor injuries (including those with no noticeable short term effect at all) can create a "brain scarring" that may result in CTE - Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.

The concept of the pads on the helmet is an attempt to lessen the severity of the intracranial movements related to head impact.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-03-17, 06:12 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
You guys are killing me.

The brain is suspended in cerebrospinal fluid, which is adequate to protect the brain during most normal activities. Football and soccer are not normal activities.

The brain is a delicate object with significant mass, about 3 lbs (less for some of you). Objects at rest tend to stay at rest; objects in motion tend to stay in motion. If a person's head is moving quickly, and then it stops moving very abruptly, that person's brain will continue to move in the cerebrospinal fluid. If a person's head is still, and he or she is struck in a manner that causes their head to move rapidly, the head will move before the brain. In both cases, the brain may strike against the inside of the skull, causing injury. Rapid motions in some directions inside the skull may also cause torsional forces that result in injury to the brain.

The brain injuries with immediate appreciable effect are concussions. Along with concussions, repeated minor injuries (including those with no noticeable short term effect at all) can create a "brain scarring" that may result in CTE - Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.

The concept of the pads on the helmet is an attempt to lessen the severity of the intracranial movements related to head impact.

I hope this helps.
Hey weirdo! Why would you cutting and pasting things we already know help?
Old 02-03-17, 08:53 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
According to the article the concussions are worse in soccer.

Hit yourself in the head with a bat.

Then hit yourself in the head with a bat wearing a helmet.

Tell me which one you're worried about getting a concussion from.

You really are a complete idiot
Old 02-03-17, 08:57 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Soccer does have something similar to what Yappi posted.

One kid on my team in high school started wearing it after he had quite a few concussions. A couple other kids started wearing it after he had worn it a little. I started wearing it after I had brain surgery. I actually liked wearing it, it took a little getting used to but I thought it gave me added control when I headed the ball (at the cost of slightly less power behind my headers) I'd highly recommend it.

Cabo is correct. It's all about that cerebrospinal fluid.
Old 02-03-17, 09:04 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Hey weirdo! Why would you cutting and pasting things we already know help?
Wow. You and your 2lb brain made a funny! Good job!
Old 02-03-17, 09:19 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Wow. You and your 2lb brain made a funny! Good job!
Weirdo must have felt terribly left out in this thread.
Old 02-03-17, 09:21 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
Soccer does have something similar to what Yappi posted.

One kid on my team in high school started wearing it after he had quite a few concussions. A couple other kids started wearing it after he had worn it a little. I started wearing it after I had brain surgery. I actually liked wearing it, it took a little getting used to but I thought it gave me added control when I headed the ball (at the cost of slightly less power behind my headers) I'd highly recommend it.

Cabo is correct. It's all about that cerebrospinal fluid.
Did yours leak out during surgery? Hopefully they topped you off before they closed up!!
Old 02-03-17, 09:41 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Hey Possessed, why do you think football games are only played once a week and players hate playing on Thursday's? Why does football have only a 16-game regular season and pro soccer leagues play an average of 34 regular season games?
Old 02-03-17, 09:51 AM
All Region

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
So what is the end game? Promote safer football or ban football?
Old 02-03-17, 09:54 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Where were you with this method when my kids were growing up?
Old 02-03-17, 09:55 AM
All Region

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
Hey Possessed, why do you think football games are only played once a week and players hate playing on Thursday's? Why does football have only a 16-game regular season and pro soccer leagues play an average of 34 regular season games?
I am not Possessed, but the answer to your question does not involve concussions.
Old 02-03-17, 10:11 AM
All Ohio

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Make kids wear 5lb ankle weights to slow them down. Fixed.
Great idea!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: