Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-01-17, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Football not safe for children?

Here's some rule changes to water down the game....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/s...g-it.html?_r=0

Funny thing is they actually mirror a lot of the way youth soccer is trained and played.......
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-17, 03:12 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
I have never been a fan of youth/pee wee football.

I dont believe it is needed nor does having it directly have an affect on the HS program.

Said it before, 6 teams in our county, all public.

The 3 teams who have pee wee football have 1 state title and not many playoff appearances. The team that does have a state title got rid of youth football a couple of years ago.

The 3 teams that do NOT have youth football, and start when they get into 7th grade, have a combined 22 state titles I believe
Old 02-01-17, 03:13 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I know the purists hate my idea but I don't know why they haven't changed the helmets to include the rubber helmet caps like this:

Instead of just being a protective device, helmets are a weapon in football. They need keep the protective part and diminish the weapon part of the helmet.
Old 02-01-17, 03:17 PM
All American

4cards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I know the purists hate my idea but I don't know why they haven't changed the helmets to include the rubber helmet caps like this:

Instead of just being a protective device, helmets are a weapon in football. They need keep the protective part and diminish the weapon part of the helmet.
...I agree 100%!!! Why would you risk any permanent injury to a young man just to look good and if something like this would eliminate that from happening, I'm totally in favor of it.
Old 02-01-17, 03:18 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post

I dont believe it is needed nor does having it directly have an affect on the HS program.

The 3 teams who have pee wee football have 1 state title and not many playoff appearances. The team that does have a state title got rid of youth football a couple of years ago.

The 3 teams that do NOT have youth football, and start when they get into 7th grade, have a combined 22 state titles I believe
The problem with youth sports in America across the board is the emphasis on winning. If the youth programs were focused just on learning the game, technique, and having fun, those associated HS with youth programs would see much better results.
Old 02-01-17, 03:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post

Exactly

No need any earlier than that
Old 02-01-17, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

take away the helmet
Old 02-01-17, 03:35 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
The problem with youth sports in America across the board is the emphasis on winning. If the youth programs were focused just on learning the game, technique, and having fun, those associated HS with youth programs would see much better results.
Totally agreed. I've seen many coaches who put way too much emphasis on winning. Since I've been involved in youth sports for the past 15 years, it's always interesting to watch the new coach that thinks he is radically going to change how everything has been done in the past and create a super team. Almost every time, those teams have some success and then break up to the point that many don't even play HS in that sport.

I've always been a fan of trying to get as many kids involved as possible. It's always sad to see one team carry a number of kids on the bench while the other team has one lone kid as insurance for a starter getting injured.
Old 02-01-17, 04:14 PM
All American

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Eh, so think it's all BS. When FB players make fun of soccer, the hipsters all start yelling about how tough it is, how there's just as many concussions and injuries in soccer and stats prove it... well, if that's true why aren't they all over soccer monkey's jocks to make soccer safer? Somewhere there's an angle. I'm thinking it's just good ole Starbucks swillin' sissies and their deep pocket lobbyist.
Old 02-01-17, 04:41 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Eh, so think it's all BS. When FB players make fun of soccer, the hipsters all start yelling about how tough it is, how there's just as many concussions and injuries in soccer and stats prove it... well, if that's true why aren't they all over soccer monkey's jocks to make soccer safer? Somewhere there's an angle. I'm thinking it's just good ole Starbucks swillin' sissies and their deep pocket lobbyist.
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old 02-01-17, 04:54 PM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:

Is that supposed to not make a helmet first hit not hurt?
Old 02-01-17, 05:45 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Is that supposed to not make a helmet first hit not hurt?
I'm guessing that is the science behind it. Probably has something to do with cushioned/glancing blows due to the design.
Old 02-01-17, 05:50 PM
All American

Quote:
I'm guessing that is the science behind it. Probably has something to do with cushioned/glancing blows due to the design.
I think that would just encourage kids to REALLY lay a lick on somebody. Kind of a false sense of security type thing.

I still say since soccer has as many or more concussions as football they should have to wear helmets too.
Old 02-01-17, 06:03 PM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
What's it called? Are there any articles I can look up?
Old 02-01-17, 06:08 PM
All Yappi

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Make kids wear 5lb ankle weights to slow them down. Fixed.
Old 02-01-17, 06:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Yup, nothing to do with the topic. Great job!
Nah. People making statements that FB isn't safe for kids while a competing sport has as many or more serious injuries shouldn't be in the discussion at all. I don't know why you're here anyway. We all know you were too soft for FB and the apple isn't rolling far from mamas apron. What do you care? Just go buy your boy some spandex and tap shoes and let the men talk football honey. And bring me a sandwich while you're up.
Old 02-01-17, 07:13 PM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Nah. People making statements that FB isn't safe for kids while a competing sport has as many or more serious injuries shouldn't be in the discussion at all. I don't know why you're here anyway. We all know you were too soft for FB and the apple isn't rolling far from mamas apron. What do you care? Just go buy your boy some spandex and tap shoes and let the men talk football honey. And bring me a sandwich while you're up.
Soccer has as many or more serious injuries? Okay.

You think soccer is too dangerous for kids, but call me soft....

Go put on your unitard and hug some men.
Old 02-01-17, 07:24 PM
All American

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
All excellent points except the obvious...

Been saying for years that pee-wee football does very little in terms of development of the game. 35 pitch tosses to the fastest kid (you know, the one that grew faster than everyone else) and a couple reverses (to the second fastest kid) do very little to promote the game.

Play flag football until kids bodies develop to the point that their neck muscles can support a darn helmet and then properly understand that you do not hit nor tackle with your head. This also keeps the DB dads away from teaching any sort of technique. If it were up to me flag would be played through 6th maybe even 7th grade.
Old 02-01-17, 07:29 PM
All American

Sports like girls soccer have been calculated to result in 33 concussions per 100,000 player outings and wrestling has about 24 concussions per 100,000 player outings a year, according to The Head Case Co. In comparison, the most recent study — completed in 2012 — shows that at least one football player sustains a concussion for every game played.
On the same note, while soccer has fewer concussions per year when compared to football, the severity of concussions sustained in soccer is significantly higher.
"Recent studies show that soccer has surpassed football," said neurologist Peter A. Puzio from Augusta Health Neurology. "As soccer grows in popularity, so does the incidence of concussion. There's not a perfect a number because it all depends on the severity of each one, but there is a cumulative effect of concussions. One is bad, but it depends on the severity of the concussions."

EP.. you should be tired of me making you look stupid by now man. Football is only responsible for 47% of concussions while soccer is 33% followed by wrestling. The severity of concussions in soccer is typically worse and coupled with the fact soccer is right behind football in percentages would merit a discussion concerning helmets when football is getting adjustments to helmets and soccer players don't even wear them.
Old 02-01-17, 07:33 PM
Fake coolin' off

It's the accumulated repetitive head injuries (estimated to be about 1500 per season) that make football more dangerous than soccer, not the concussion rate.
Old 02-01-17, 08:02 PM
All American

Quote:
It's the accumulated repetitive head injuries (estimated to be about 1500 per season) that make football more dangerous than soccer, not the concussion rate.
The percentages are only 14% different. And the soccer concussions also tend to be more severe because they don't wear helmets. It's ok. I get that you don't get it. Slightly more concussions by a small percent to more severe concussions at almost the same rate. Not that difficult Chief. Soccer players need to wear helmets if football is so bad.
Old 02-01-17, 08:05 PM
Fake coolin' off

Only 14%
Old 02-01-17, 09:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Only 14%
Yep. 14% isn't that much of a spread... especially when you take into consideration that the concussions are more severe for soccer players. Which you ignore. Yet, no helmets for soccer players with near numbers similar to football players and worse injuries according to studies. But EP doesn't get it. It's not surprising.
Old 02-02-17, 12:22 AM
Fake coolin' off

Can you share the link for your percentages?

Headcasecompany.com clearly shows a much higher incident rate of concussion (more than double girls soccer and > three times higher than boys soccer). As far as concussions go, there's no question it's a lot more dangerous to play football with a helmet than soccer without one.

http://www.headcasecompany.com/concu...ussions_sports

Quote:
Concussion Rates per Sport

The below numbers indicate the amount of sports concussions taking place per 100,000 athletic exposures. An athletic exposure is defined as one athlete participating in one organized high school athletic practice or competition, regardless of the amount of time played.

Football: 64 -76.8
Boys' ice hockey: 54
Girl's soccer: 33
Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5
Girls' gymnastics: 7
Regardless of these facts, the real danger of football is the repetitive head blows over the course of a lifetime. It is estimated a football player incurs about 1500 blows to the head over the course of a season. Most often don't register as a concussion, but these repetitive blows are the cause of CTE, a decidedly dangerous risk to football athletes.

Last edited by eastside_purple; 02-02-17 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 08:11 AM
All American

http://www.newsleader.com/story/spor...ling/29268651/

Of course the guys selling football helmets are going to blow the numbers up.
Old 02-02-17, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think your tin foil hat is too small president Trump
Old 02-02-17, 08:19 AM
All American

http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/News/...oncussionNCAA/

Study done by somebody not trying to sell helmets.
Old 02-02-17, 08:20 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
All excellent points except the obvious...

Been saying for years that pee-wee football does very little in terms of development of the game. 35 pitch tosses to the fastest kid (you know, the one that grew faster than everyone else) and a couple reverses (to the second fastest kid) do very little to promote the game.

Play flag football until kids bodies develop to the point that their neck muscles can support a darn helmet and then properly understand that you do not hit nor tackle with your head. This also keeps the DB dads away from teaching any sort of technique. If it were up to me flag would be played through 6th maybe even 7th grade.
Spot on.

Also: Odds are that fastest kid never turns into anything later on.
Old 02-02-17, 08:51 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
http://www.newsleader.com/story/spor...ling/29268651/

Of course the guys selling football helmets are going to blow the numbers up.
this article cites the data I posted above. So dumb.
Old 02-02-17, 08:55 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/News/...oncussionNCAA/

Study done by somebody not trying to sell helmets.
Different per incident rate denominator of 10k used here instead of 100k in the other. What this tells me is football is the most dangerous sport, since men's soccer concissionrates aren't even close to football and women are more highly at risk to concussion injuries than men.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: