Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-12-17, 04:47 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
Looks pretty good. Like how East jumped in Ellet's bracket. They have a knack for losing early in the tourney.
A knack? Because they were upset by Cuy. Falls as a higher seed a few years ago?
If not having the talent to make a run is a knack for bowing out then I guess you're right.
The entire Mahoning Valley is down in basketball this year. That will be proven in time.

Good luck everyone! To good heath and good games!
Old 02-12-17, 05:01 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
I think they have underperformed in the tourney, that Falls team was bad.
Old 02-12-17, 05:08 PM
All District

KentuckyKlondikeBars is an unknown quantity at this point
So Lakes first somewhat tough game will be Ellet or WH in district championship
Old 02-12-17, 05:40 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
I think they have underperformed in the tourney, that Falls team was bad.
That upset by Falls is the only time they have underperformed in recent memory. Played about as expected every other time. Just not sure what you're getting at. Only in recent years has Ellet competed at a level high enough to even be favored to win a tourney game.
Old 02-12-17, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
The entire Mahoning Valley is down in basketball this year. That will be proven in time.
Huh? These are the best teams that Boardman & East have had in years. WGH started slow against a tough schedule (losses to Boardman, Poland, Akron SVSM, Cleveland St. Ignatius, Kennedy Catholic, & Cleveland Heights by a total of 26 points), but despite their adversity, they have won 9 consecutive games by an average score 75.9 to 59.9. FWIW, several smaller schools are having nice seasons as well.

"The entire Mahoning Valley is down in basketball?" Not sure what teams you have been watching. There's no clear favorite in the district, but the bracket shows that teams would rather play Ellet in the 2nd round than have to deal with WGH. I liked what I saw out of your boy Gareri last year though and I'm sure that he's even better now.

Should be a fun month of March!
Old 02-12-17, 06:11 PM
All World

Quote:
That upset by Falls is the only time they have underperformed in recent memory. Played about as expected every other time. Just not sure what you're getting at. Only in recent years has Ellet competed at a level high enough to even be favored to win a tourney game.
Not really getting at anything.

Your right. I looked back the only underperformance was the Falls loss. I guess that just really stuck out in my mind because they would have played Lake on their home floor had they won. Sorry.
Old 02-12-17, 07:11 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm02 View Post
Huh? These are the best teams that Boardman & East have had in years. WGH started slow against a tough schedule (losses to Boardman, Poland, Akron SVSM, Cleveland St. Ignatius, Kennedy Catholic, & Cleveland Heights by a total of 26 points), but despite their adversity, they have won 9 consecutive games by an average score 75.9 to 59.9. FWIW, several smaller schools are having nice seasons as well.

"The entire Mahoning Valley is down in basketball?" Not sure what teams you have been watching. There's no clear favorite in the district, but the bracket shows that teams would rather play Ellet in the 2nd round than have to deal with WGH. I liked what I saw out of your boy Gareri last year though and I'm sure that he's even better now.

Should be a fun month of March!
Okay, okay...McDonald is pretty good.
The fact that you cited Boardman and Y.East as having their best teams in years says it all because they're both pretty average.

I didnt see anybody avoid WH. Brackets went how I would have guessed. Louisville was the wildcard, they obviously like they're chances with Boardman and possibly Lake. I'm sure there's some familiarity there. After that, Y.East and Howland took home games, who could blame them.
Old 02-12-17, 07:16 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Not really getting at anything.

Your right. I looked back the only underperformance was the Falls loss. I guess that just really stuck out in my mind because they would have played Lake on their home floor had they won. Sorry.
Yup, classic choke job for Ellet that year. If you were close to the program you could see it coming. Falls had got hot at the end and upset someone decent in the regular season and all Ellet kids could talk about was playing Lake in the second round.
Gotta stay focused.
Old 02-12-17, 08:49 PM
All American

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Louisville wants another crack at Boardman. Bring it on! Best season the Spartans have had in 20+ years. Time to make it count in the tourney!
Old 02-12-17, 08:52 PM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Quote:
Yup, classic choke job for Ellet that year. If you were close to the program you could see it coming. Falls had got hot at the end and upset someone decent in the regular season and all Ellet kids could talk about was playing Lake in the second round.
Gotta stay focused.

Throw in the meaningless city championship game they won the week before and the kids were done and reached the goal of winning a city title.

Other real good team ellet had they beat Copley round 1 McKinley round 2 and lost a close game to Jackson in round 3
Old 02-12-17, 08:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Okay, okay...McDonald is pretty good.
The fact that you cited Boardman and Y.East as having their best teams in years says it all because they're both pretty average.

I didnt see anybody avoid WH. Brackets went how I would have guessed. Louisville was the wildcard, they obviously like they're chances with Boardman and possibly Lake. I'm sure there's some familiarity there. After that, Y.East and Howland took home games, who could blame them.
1. "Says it all?" Not sure what you're getting at. Never said that Boardman or East were great teams. However, they are much better than they've been, which complicates your "Mahoning Valley being down" theory. In fact, what has Ellet done this year to make you stick your nose up at anybody? How do we know that the Orangemen aren't just "pretty average?" East is far from being the Golden State Warriors, but you better watch what you wish for because win or lose, the Panthers are going to come at you hard.

2. Coming into this weekend, I didn't think that any of the top seeds were really going to frighten anybody. Louisville really shook up the bracket and at the end of the day, the last two seeds got stuck playing Harding in the 1st two rounds. In other words, Louisville would rather deal with Boardman while Youngstown East, Akron East, Howland, & Springfield would all rather deal with each other and the possibilities of playing Ellet or Lake instead of coming to Warren. Hence, avoiding Harding, who is literally the top seed as they have the easiest path to Alliance. No need to pound my chest about it, but spinning the truth won't change the facts.
Old 02-12-17, 09:00 PM
All World

SteelValley
What's crazy is Boardman lost by 39 to Louisville last year in the regular season and JVs lost by 20+. Amazing turn around to beat them this year in regular season and now, let's hope, in playoffs. Actually all levels swept Louisville this year.

Let's hope we can get another W. I like our chances at home where we are undefeated and have had awesome student support.

Then next would be avenging last year's 2nd rd beat down by Lake. Who knows, things obviously change in one year based on above. Harding - Boardman is another good example as they ran Boardman out of the gym both games last year and have had 2 hard fought games this year.
Old 02-12-17, 09:02 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
Throw in the meaningless city championship game they won the week before and the kids were done and reached the goal of winning a city title.

Other real good team ellet had they beat Copley round 1 McKinley round 2 and lost a close game to Jackson in round 3
I thought that 2014 Ellet team was their best one in recent memory. Haven't seen this year's team, how does the '17 squad stack up vs the '14 team?
Old 02-12-17, 09:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Best season the Spartans have had in 20+ years.
According to Orangeman89, "the Mahoning Valley is down" though. SMH.

Good luck Spartans!
Old 02-12-17, 09:11 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
I thought that 2014 Ellet team was their best one in recent memory. Haven't seen this year's team, how does the '17 squad stack up vs the '14 team?
Well 2014 had a player that is Going to a Houston and AJ (going to Ohio)who was only a 10th trader. This team shoots the heck out of the ball and has a lot of young guards off the bench. So I would probably go with 2014 based strictly on talent of varsity ready guys. At same time this team probably plays better as a team and is more battle tested. 2014 had 2 D1 guys where thisbteammpotentially has three (albeit one only a freshman) 2014 played weak schedule, Fisher did a good job beefing schedule way up since he knows they will be good for the foreseeable future.
Old 02-12-17, 09:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Well 2014 had a player that is Going to a Houston and AJ (going to Ohio)who was only a 10th trader. This team shoots the heck out of the ball and has a lot of young guards off the bench. So I would probably go with 2014 based strictly on talent of varsity ready guys. At same time this team probably plays better as a team and is more battle tested. 2014 had 2 D1 guys where thisbteammpotentially has three (albeit one only a freshman) 2014 played weak schedule, Fisher did a good job beefing schedule way up since he knows they will be good for the foreseeable future.
Good info. I thought Fisher's kid did a nice job of running that earlier team. Ellet has a tough path to the final with Harding on their side, but if they can get through it would be a helluva rematch with Lake (if they get by Boardman/Louisville).
Old 02-12-17, 11:30 PM
All Region

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Exactly! I'm interested to see how Youngstown East fares against Ellet. The Panthers aren't bad at all.
Ytown East has to play Akron East 1st.. and in the regular season Akron won by double digits. This one may be terse because IIRC there were some on court extra curricular activities
Old 02-13-17, 03:09 AM
All World

warren west
One thing for sure Harding has 3 tough games to close out the regular season with Youngstown Ursuline at home at Canton Mckinley and home to Maple Heights which is 2nd in the LEL.
Old 02-13-17, 06:26 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
1. "Says it all?" Not sure what you're getting at. Never said that Boardman or East were great teams. However, they are much better than they've been, which complicates your "Mahoning Valley being down" theory. In fact, what has Ellet done this year to make you stick your nose up at anybody? How do we know that the Orangemen aren't just "pretty average?" East is far from being the Golden State Warriors, but you better watch what you wish for because win or lose, the Panthers are going to come at you hard.

2. Coming into this weekend, I didn't think that any of the top seeds were really going to frighten anybody. Louisville really shook up the bracket and at the end of the day, the last two seeds got stuck playing Harding in the 1st two rounds. In other words, Louisville would rather deal with Boardman while Youngstown East, Akron East, Howland, & Springfield would all rather deal with each other and the possibilities of playing Ellet or Lake instead of coming to Warren. Hence, avoiding Harding, who is literally the top seed as they have the easiest path to Alliance. No need to pound my chest about it, but spinning the truth won't change the facts.
You don't see me beating my chest over Ellet. I've said more than once they could lose the first game or win the district.
If anyone fears a Culver-less Harding, they shouldn't.
Old 02-13-17, 08:18 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
Good info. I thought Fisher's kid did a nice job of running that earlier team. Ellet has a tough path to the final with Harding on their side, but if they can get through it would be a helluva rematch with Lake (if they get by Boardman/Louisville).
Actually that team AJ was a freshman and Brady (Houston) was a junior. The team that lost to Falls AJ was Soph and Brady SR
Old 02-13-17, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
You don't see me beating my chest over Ellet. I've said more than once they could lose the first game or win the district.
Yet, despite Boardman having their best team in decades and East being significantly stronger than they have been, you felt the need to post...

Quote:
Who is going to "prove" that "the entire Mahoning Valley is down this year?" Ellet? Even if Louisville beats Boardman, would that take away the fact that Boardman is having their best season since today's kids have been alive? Regardless of what happens with Youngstown East, would that take away from the fact that Coach Simmons has brought them a long way since last year? WGH lost 6 close games this season, so is that why "the entire Mahoning Valley is down this year?" Are LaBrae & McDonald not in the running to win AP titles this season? Heck, did South Range not defeat McDonald not that long ago? I'm confused...

Quote:
It's not about "fearing" anybody. That said, Louisville thought, "Out of all of the top 4 seeds, we would rather play Boardman in the 2nd round." One way or another, everybody else jumped on the sides of Ellet & Lake, which left WGH with the bottom two seeds. FWIW, you do realize that a "Culver-less Harding" went on the road and knocked off one of the most storied/loaded programs from West Virginia, right?

Maybe, WGH will win the district. Maybe they won't, but I'm wise enough not to knock off teams that I know very little about. You should try it before it's too late.
Old 02-13-17, 10:07 AM
All World

Who cares. Games start in two weeks
Old 02-13-17, 10:32 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Who cares. Games start in two weeks
I wasn't talking to you, so apparently, you cared enough to respond.
Old 02-13-17, 10:33 AM
All World

Quote:
I wasn't talking to you, so apparently, you cared enough to respond.
I wasn't talking to you.
Old 02-13-17, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I wasn't talking to you.
You posted right before & right after me. Seemed weird, but if it's a misunderstanding, then I apologize.
Old 02-13-17, 10:59 AM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Regardless of who comes out is this possibly the worst district in the state? I'd hate to see Lake come out with the team they have and have McBride beat his chest again. But Lake has a very good chance and with a team that has no business being one of the best in Alliance. I have seen Lake and Jackson many times this year and after watching them Friday head to head I can't think of one starter for Lake that would start for Jackson with the exception of maybe Kirven.
Old 02-13-17, 11:03 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
Regardless of who comes out is this possibly the worst district in the state? I'd hate to see Lake come out with the team they have and have McBride beat his chest again. But Lake has a very good chance and with a team that has no business being one of the best in Alliance. I have seen Lake and Jackson many times this year and after watching them Friday head to head I can't think of one starter for Lake that would start for Jackson with the exception of maybe Kirven.

Hater

All of this was completely unnecessary to say.

Who does deserve to win this "worst district" in the state.
Old 02-13-17, 11:47 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Yet, despite Boardman having their best team in decades and East being significantly stronger than they have been, you felt the need to post...

Who is going to "prove" that "the entire Mahoning Valley is down this year?" Ellet? Even if Louisville beats Boardman, would that take away the fact that Boardman is having their best season since today's kids have been alive? Regardless of what happens with Youngstown East, would that take away from the fact that Coach Simmons has brought them a long way since last year? WGH lost 6 close games this season, so is that why "the entire Mahoning Valley is down this year?" Are LaBrae & McDonald not in the running to win AP titles this season? Heck, did South Range not defeat McDonald not that long ago? I'm confused...

It's not about "fearing" anybody. That said, Louisville thought, "Out of all of the top 4 seeds, we would rather play Boardman in the 2nd round." One way or another, everybody else jumped on the sides of Ellet & Lake, which left WGH with the bottom two seeds. FWIW, you do realize that a "Culver-less Harding" went on the road and knocked off one of the most storied/loaded programs from West Virginia, right?

Maybe, WGH will win the district. Maybe they won't, but I'm wise enough not to knock off teams that I know very little about. You should try it before it's too late.
You're right, I shouldn't say they are down in relation to recent history. I should have just come out from the beginning and said they aren't very good overall in respect to other top teams.

Don't ever bring up beating Fairmont again, they wouldn't win any league in NE Ohio other than the PTC.
Old 02-13-17, 01:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Actually that team AJ was a freshman and Brady (Houston) was a junior. The team that lost to Falls AJ was Soph and Brady SR
Ya I was referencing that '13-'14 team that gave Jax a good go in the district semis as the Ellet team that I thought was the best in recent memory.
Old 02-13-17, 02:57 PM
All World

warren west
I think even the usually loaded Solon district is down? after Garfield Heights and Maple heights you have Shaker Heights seeded #3 with a losing record?