Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-12-17, 11:49 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info, BigBulldog. I'll probably be there for the 5:00 game.
Old 01-14-17, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Canton McKinley's (10-2) quality wins...

Beat #12 Toledo St Johns
Beat #15 Cleveland St Ignatius
Beat Lake 70-56

The Bulldogs losses:

Jackson #3 and #23 in the Nation.
N.C. Hoover #14-Beat #3 and #7
Old 01-16-17, 08:45 AM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Congradulations Solon you beat us at our own game.

Final

Solon 76

McKinley 63
Old 01-17-17, 12:35 PM
All Yappi

Thanks for the kind words, BigBulldog. I couldn't go to the game after all, because I had to be at work at 4:30 Monday morning. I wish I could have seen it. Our young team is growing up fast. They beat a very good McKinley team.

Solon is now 9-3 after Sunday's win. Next up is University School, tonight at home.

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-18-17 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-18-17, 09:20 AM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
Solon played really well last night despite a slow start. They got the 3 point ball working and were really aggressive on defense, flustering University School all night.
Old 01-18-17, 03:07 PM
Junior Varsity

SCBOH is on a distinguished road
Solon has played great in the 2 games since the loss to Elyria. Mckinley is their best win so far. Sincere was fantastic and that was the first really good team that they defended well. The Comets need to continue beating the teams they should beat but they also need to show they can win against some of the top teams in the conference (Elyria, Medina, Mentor) if they want a good seeding come playoff time.
Old 01-18-17, 03:45 PM
All Yappi

David Gulley led Solon's offense with 25 points last night, mostly from beyond the three-point arc. Trent Williams and Michael Bekelja tallied 13 apiece. David Marbury added 12. Sincere Carry only scored nine, but his ballhandling, passing and defense were the ingredients that broke the game open for Solon.

Just a prediction, but I doubt Solon goes 0-3 the second time through Medina, Mentor and Elyria. I believe the Comets will go 2-1.

Jason Steele missed last night's win over US with a lower leg injury. He's in a walking boot. I was told that Steele also missed the McKinley game. Steele is the only senior on the team. Solon beat Canton McKinley Sunday with a lineup consisting entirely of underclassmen. Not bad.

I'm not sure how long Steele will be out, but his leadership would be valuable Friday night at Medina.

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-18-17 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-18-17, 04:56 PM
All Ohio

Enigma77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
David Gulley led Solon's offense with 25 points last night, mostly from beyond the three-point arc. Trent Williams and Michael Bekelja tallied 13 apiece. David Marbury added 12. Sincere Carry only scored nine, but his ballhandling, passing and defense were the ingredients that broke the game open for Solon.

Just a prediction, but I doubt Solon goes 0-3 the second time through Medina, Mentor and Elyria. I believe the Comets will go 2-1.

Jason Steele missed last night's win over US with a lower leg injury. He's in a walking boot. I was told that Steele also missed the McKinley game. Steele is the only senior on the team. Solon beat Canton McKinley Sunday with a lineup consisting entirely of underclassmen. Not bad.

I'm not sure how long Steele will be out, but his leadership would be valuable Friday night at Medina.
Does Solon play Eds or Iggy this year?
Old 01-19-17, 08:41 AM
All Ohio

SSS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma77 View Post

I believe Ed's had a scrimmage with Solon and Padua this year. I don't recall them playing Solon during the regular season over the past few years.
Old 01-19-17, 09:00 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Solon vs Iggy 2/11
Old 01-19-17, 11:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
The game with St. Ignatius is at Sullivan Gymnasium. This is the first year that Solon and Ignatius have met in a regular season game. All previous meetings have come at tournament time. I expect the Comets and Cats will be regular season opponents for at least the next few years. Solon coach Tony DeCesare is a St. Ignatius alumnus.

Solon scrimmaged St. Edward this preseason. The Comets and Eagles met once or twice in the regular season during the years that Dallas Lauderdale played for the Comets.

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-19-17 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 12:52 PM
All Ohio

Thanks

Quote:

Solon scrimmaged St. Edward this preseason. The Comets and Eagles met once or twice in the regular season during the years that Dallas Lauderdale played for the Comets.
I remember one of those games.
Old 01-19-17, 12:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Thanks

I remember one of those games.
I believe they met in a holiday tournament in Erie one year. St. Ed's won convincingly. Solon had beaten Cathedral Prep in that same tourney.
Old 01-19-17, 01:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I believe they met in a holiday tournament in Erie one year. St. Ed's won convincingly. Solon had beaten Cathedral Prep in that same tourney.
Isn't Dallas still hanging on in the NBA?
Old 01-20-17, 11:13 AM
Junior Varsity

It's a big one tonight for the Comets at Medina. Can they get a W against a top tier team? Medina hung a 100 spot on the Comets at Solon the last time they played but that was Carry's first game back from injury. Hopefully the defense will be better tonight.
Old 01-20-17, 11:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Last I heard, Dallas was playing in Europe. Italy, I believe, though I could be wrong.
Old 01-20-17, 11:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBOH View Post
It's a big one tonight for the Comets at Medina. Can they get a W against a top tier team? Medina hung a 100 spot on the Comets at Solon the last time they played but that was Carry's first game back from injury. Hopefully the defense will be better tonight.
The last time Solon played Medina, the Bees looked unbeatable. Just about every shot, no matter the angle or distance, went in. Medina looked big, athletic, fast, you name it. The results of ensuing games suggest that while the Bees are still a darned good team, they're not quite the juggernaut that they appeared to be in December. Meanwhile, Solon has gotten a lot better since that game.

This one's liable to be a lot closer. I'm going out to Medina tonight. Should be interesting.

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-26-17 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-21-17, 11:04 AM
All Ohio

What a great game last night! Comets are scrappy! Two very good teams. Both will be tough outs for any team in NE Ohio.
Old 01-21-17, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

It was a heckuva game last night, and it hurts to come oh-so-close, only to fall just short. Medina beat Solon, 78-76, on a reverse layup with two seconds left. The Comets came out strong and led the Bees until just before the end of the third period. Solon fell behind by a dozen early in the fourth before storming back and tying the score in the last minute.

Sincere Carry had a chance to put Solon in the lead with under a minute left. With the Comets trailing, 76-75, Carry drove the lane and laid up a shot that hung on the rim for a couple of seconds, before falling away. Carry got fouled on the play and went to the line, but split a pair of free throws. If Sincere had converted the three points, it would have put Solon in front, 78-76.

Solon played well. But they needed to be just a bit better to beat a bigger, more experienced team. Medina had beaten the Comets 100-79 back in December. This time, Solon was a more aggressive, more confident team, and that confidence carried the Comets to an early lead.

Early on, Medina had trouble solving Solon's press defense. However, when Solon's shooting cooled the Comets couldn't set up the press and Medina scored easy baskets in transition.

Carry had an outstanding game, both offensively and defensively. He keyed Solon's fast start with some great shooting. When Sincere cooled, Michael Bekelja picked up the slack. Ryan Bergen hit some big shots, and David Gulley overcame a slow start to fuel Solon's fourth period comeback with a pair of clutch threes. Sorry, I don't have totals.

Last night was my first visit to Medina's gym. It's got to be one of the best facilities in the area.

The Comets visit Mayfield Tuesday and, I believe, travel to Shaker next Friday.
Old 01-23-17, 12:00 PM
Junior Varsity

Carry with 20, Bekelja 18, Williams 11, and Gulley 10. Solon played much better than the first time but are still looking for a win vs the top 3 teams in the GCC. The Solon boys continue to get better each time out and will be very tough come playoff time...just like last year.
Old 01-24-17, 11:51 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I was wrong about Dallas playing in Europe. He's playing in the NBA D-league for the Maine team. A buddy of mine recently watched a Canton Charge game on TV, and spotted Dallas playing for the other team.

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-24-17 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-24-17, 12:55 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I was wrong about Dallas playing in Europe. He's playing in the NBA D-league for the Maine team. A buddy of mine recently watched a Canton Charge game on TV, and spotted Dallas playing for the other team.
Interesting. Not sure which is better.
Old 01-25-17, 05:52 AM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
whoa

Last nights score from Mayfield...

113-42 !!!

What??? Did Mayfield play its middle school team?

Keep it rolling Comets!!
Old 01-25-17, 09:34 AM
All Ohio

Wow
Old 01-25-17, 10:16 AM
Junior Varsity

Mayfield played a lot of Freshman. I think there were 5 Freshman on the court at times for them.
Old 01-25-17, 10:50 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBOH View Post
Mayfield played a lot of Freshman. I think there were 5 Freshman on the court at times for them.
WOW again!
Old 01-25-17, 11:19 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Mayfield s bad lost to nordonia.
Old 01-25-17, 12:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Last nights score from Mayfield...

113-42 !!!

What??? Did Mayfield play its middle school team?

Keep it rolling Comets!!
I decided not to go at the last minute last night because I wasn't feeling well. I'm not sure I'm better off for not seeing such a slaughter. Judging from the box score, everyone not only played but also scored; and not just two or three apiece. Brown tallied 12 and he's a JV player. Mayfield beat Solon last regular season, though the Comets returned the favor in the sectionals. The Wildcats must have graduated everybody.

I don't know about Mayfield playing freshmen last night. They probably did. But keep in mind that Solon doesn't dress a single senior. In addition, seven of the 11 players in the rotation are sophomores.
Old 01-25-17, 12:42 PM
All Yappi

This game reminds me of a Solon-Aurora game from the early 1980s. That one was played at the old Solon gym during the Milan Belich era. Milan was Solon's all-time scoring leader for many years. He might still be; I'm not sure whether or not Dallas Lauderdale passed him.

Back then, Solon and Aurora were both members of the Chagrin Valley Conference. Solon dominated the league in hoops during those years. Milan's father, Mike Belich, was the head coach.

Solon hung a 104-39 mugging on Aurora. This was back before the three-point arc was part of Ohio high school basketball. Milan B. may have been the best outside shooter in the state that year and the Comets had three other kids who could hit from long distance. If that game had been played under modern rules, the Comets would have put up 120-plus.

The Aurora game took place one week after Solon had torched Orange, 91-39. The now-defunct Cleveland Press covered the Aurora game. The next day, the Press ripped the Comets and Coach Belich for running up the score on an overmatched opponent.

Ah, memories.

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-26-17 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-26-17, 10:02 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Solon hung a 104-39 mugging on Aurora.

The next day, the Press ripped the Comets and Coach Belich for running up the score on an overmatched opponent.
That type of score is definitely not politically correct these days.