Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-29-16, 03:38 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,541
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Solon Comets 2016-2017

I should have started this thread weeks ago. But I wasn't sure how the season would go for Solon's boys' team, and I wasn't sure if the Comets would be a compelling story for Yappi readers. But now, I'm convinced that this is a darned good team; one that deserves all the positive reporting that I can churn out.

A little background information: Solon has started the season 6-1, with wins over Twinsburg, Nordonia, Willoughby South, Shaker Heights, Brunswick and Stow. Medina inflicted Solon's defeat. The Comets have just one senior on their roster: guard Jason Steele. Solon has four juniors: guards Sincere Carry, David Gulley and Josh Lumpkin, plus forward Ryan Bergen. Sophomores comprise the rest of the roster. Soph guards Michael Bekelja and Trent Williams join Steele, Carry and Gulley in the starting lineup. Three other tenth-graders, guard David Marbury and forwards Nate Leskovec and Nick Close are the first guys off the bench.

If it seems that Solon has a lot of guards, it's because they do. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE on the roster stands between 6-1 and 5-10. When the Comets take the floor, they usually look more like a JV team because they're so small. In fact, Valencia Myers, the 6-3 center for Solon's girls' team, is taller than anyone on the boys' squad.

Solon is a fun team to watch. The Comets play pressure defense from beginning to end. The Comets get what they can in transition from forcing turnovers, and rely on three-pointers to keep pace with taller opponents. What the Comets lack in height, they make up in energy. Solon runs, then runs some more. So far, only Medina has been able to keep pace for four periods. The Comets win by wearing down their opponents.

Last night, Stow, which features a couple of 6-8 kids, nearly blew the Comets off the floor in the first period, leading 28-12. But Solon outscored Stow, 23-10, in the second. Stow increased its lead in the third period but tired in the final quarter, as the Comets outscored the Bulldogs 21-9. After trailing nearly the entire game, Solon took the lead for good with just over a minute to play.

Solon's comeback was fueled by 14 three-point field goals. Bekelja led the Comets with a career-high 24. He's been on the verge of breaking out all season. Last night's performance showed he's becoming a star. Carry had 19 points and (I believe) six rebounds.

The Comets probably won't win the Greater Cleveland Conference. Medina and Mentor are probably too big and too good to allow that. But Solon's going to win a lot of games this year and they're going to confound plenty of opponents, who will wonder how a bunch of runts stole a victory from them.

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-03-17 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-29-16, 03:47 PM
bbfan29 bbfan29 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-24-11
Posts: 478
bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Mentor has been doing these things & have been undersized for the past 20 years.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-29-16, 04:03 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,541
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan29 View Post
Mentor has been doing these things & have been undersized for the past 20 years.
OK. What's your point? Because Mentor has done it, I'm not allowed to say something nice about my high school alma mater? This is a Solon thread. If you want to brag about Mentor, I suggest you do it in the Mentor thread that already exists.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-29-16, 05:03 PM
bbfan29 bbfan29 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-24-11
Posts: 478
bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Comments not meant to be disrespectful at all.
Only pointing out that Mentor has been playing that style For many years & have been very successful with that style. Wish Solon Good luck & future success &
see other teams following this style of play. I think it is very exciting to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-29-16, 09:52 PM
cardzfan1234's Avatar
cardzfan1234 cardzfan1234 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-04-04
Location: Painesville Twp.
Posts: 10,651
cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to Mentor/Solon in Lake County on Tuesday. It should be a good one. I thought Carry was one of the top players I saw last year - and he was just a sophomore.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-17, 11:54 AM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,541
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan29 View Post
Comments not meant to be disrespectful at all.
Only pointing out that Mentor has been playing that style For many years & have been very successful with that style. Wish Solon Good luck & future success &
see other teams following this style of play. I think it is very exciting to watch.
I understand. Didn't mean to be so grumpy. It is a lot of fun to watch teams that play full-tilt basketball. It's certainly good for Solon, because it highlights the Comets' two best attributes: their speed and their outside shooting ability.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-03-17, 11:56 AM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,541
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Looking forward to Mentor/Solon in Lake County on Tuesday. It should be a good one. I thought Carry was one of the top players I saw last year - and he was just a sophomore.
I'm not going out to Mentor tonight. If you could post some info after tonight's game, I'd really appreciate it. I'll try to catch up with you and MentorGrad when the Cards visit Solon later on.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-03-17, 11:58 AM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,541
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
For those who don't know, the Comets will host Strongsville on Friday.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-17, 01:32 PM
cardzfan1234's Avatar
cardzfan1234 cardzfan1234 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-04-04
Location: Painesville Twp.
Posts: 10,651
cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I'm not going out to Mentor tonight. If you could post some info after tonight's game, I'd really appreciate it. I'll try to catch up with you and MentorGrad when the Cards visit Solon later on.
Ok, I will post info about the game later tonight. I will probably go out to Solon for next month's game.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-17, 02:07 PM
James x2 James x2 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Posts: 270
James x2 is an unknown quantity at this point
When does the JV game start?

Some schools have started at 5:30 jv/7:00 varsity instead of 6pm /7:30pm
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-03-17, 02:16 PM
cardzfan1234's Avatar
cardzfan1234 cardzfan1234 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-04-04
Location: Painesville Twp.
Posts: 10,651
cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Some schools have started at 5:30 jv/7:00 varsity instead of 6pm /7:30pm
Mentor has never started early like that. It will be a 6:00 JV, 7:30 varsity like usual.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-03-17, 03:15 PM
TribeBuckeyeFan TribeBuckeyeFan is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-29-16
Location: Elyria
Posts: 27
TribeBuckeyeFan is on a distinguished road
Elyria will be playing Solon on the 13th (in Elyria) and the last game of the regular season on 2/24 (@ Solon). Look forward to the matchups. Carry is a very dynamic player; remember thinking this last year when we played Solon. We managed to beat Solon in both games last year; here's hoping we can do the same this year. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-03-17, 09:02 PM
MENTORFBALL MENTORFBALL is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 04-15-11
Posts: 317
MENTORFBALL is on a distinguished road
Final:
Mentor -77
Solon - 70
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-04-17, 08:09 AM
SCBOH SCBOH is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-25-14
Posts: 25
SCBOH is on a distinguished road
Solon was able to keep it close but didn't play with the urgency I thought they would. Sincere sat out a lot because of foul trouble which hurt because he was really getting to the basket a lot last night. Solon also went on a stretch of missing several free throws in the second half which allowed Mentor to pull away. Definitely looking forward to the next match up.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-04-17, 08:49 AM
cardzfan1234's Avatar
cardzfan1234 cardzfan1234 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-04-04
Location: Painesville Twp.
Posts: 10,651
cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBOH View Post
Solon was able to keep it close but didn't play with the urgency I thought they would. Sincere sat out a lot because of foul trouble which hurt because he was really getting to the basket a lot last night. Solon also went on a stretch of missing several free throws in the second half which allowed Mentor to pull away. Definitely looking forward to the next match up.
Overall, it was a bit of a sloppy game on both sides. The pace was pretty fast, but the scoring was low. Turnovers were pretty high on both sides. Lots of missed shots/opportunities. The game was played at a pace for both teams to score in the 80's, but it was really a game in the 60's if not for a slow down free throw contest at the end. I think both teams have reasons to believe they could do a lot better next time.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-04-17, 11:49 AM
Enigma77 Enigma77 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-25-13
Posts: 686
Enigma77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like there were several sloppy games, post holidays.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-04-17, 02:58 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,541
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
It would have been great if Solon had won last night, but a seven-point loss to an excellent Mentor team on the Cards' home floor is nothing to be ashamed of. If the Comets can hang in with the better teams in the area, they're capable of pulling out a few wins, just as they did to Stow last week.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-04-17, 03:00 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,541
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeBuckeyeFan View Post
Elyria will be playing Solon on the 13th (in Elyria) and the last game of the regular season on 2/24 (@ Solon). Look forward to the matchups. Carry is a very dynamic player; remember thinking this last year when we played Solon. We managed to beat Solon in both games last year; here's hoping we can do the same this year. Good luck to you.
What's Elyria's record so far? The Pioneers are usually pretty tough. I'm looking forward to their visit to Solon. I'm not sure if I'll make the game out in Elyria.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-05-17, 07:57 AM
TribeBuckeyeFan TribeBuckeyeFan is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-29-16
Location: Elyria
Posts: 27
TribeBuckeyeFan is on a distinguished road
Pioneers are 6-2 so far; big loss to Brunswick, and a close 61-58 loss to Lorain in the Holiday Classic in Sandusky. Literally came down to the last possession. We have Mentor tomorrow at home.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-07-17, 11:05 AM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,541
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Solon cruised to an 81-61 home win over Strongsville last night. The Comets jumped out to a 19-8 lead after one period. Solon maintained at least a 10-point lead for most of the final three periods, and, if I remember correctly, once pushed the margin to 25 early in the final quarter.

Michael Bekelja had another great game. The sophomore guard connected for a game-high 24 points; mostly from outside the circle. Sincere Carry scored 16. Carry didn't shoot much. He spent most of the game setting up his teammates with some beautiful passes. Sincere also played standout defense. David Marbury excelled with 12 points and also played well defensively.

Strongsville was paced by 6-5 junior center Shaun Csire, whose 21 points kept the Mustangs from being blown out. Andrew Nelson and Brandon Kagan also played well for the Mustangs. Junior Omari Peek, a 6-6 forward, sat on the bench, out of uniform. I understand that he's a transfer and is awaiting eligibility. If/when he suits up, Strongsville will have another athletic big man to team with Csire. The Mustangs will probably be a much better team when Solon visits S-ville next month.

The Comets are 7-2 overall; 3-2 in Greater Cleveland Conference play. The Mustangs are either 3-7 or 4-6; I'm not quite sure.

Solon's got a busy week ahead. The Comets host Euclid Tuesday, then take the long trek to Elyria on Friday to battle a Pioneer team that just whipped Mentor. Next Sunday, the Comets play in that tournament in North Canton (I'm not sure what it's called these days). I'm also not sure of the opponent. Anyone out there know?

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-07-17 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-07-17, 03:11 PM
SCBOH SCBOH is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-25-14
Posts: 25
SCBOH is on a distinguished road
Comets play Canton McKinley next weekend in that tourney. We will definitely know a lot more about this group at the end of next week! They are always the smaller team but their guard play is fun to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-07-17, 10:36 PM
Enigma77 Enigma77 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-25-13
Posts: 686
Enigma77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Solon vs Mckinley should be a GREAT game. Two similar teams.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-10-17, 12:12 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,541
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Solon-McKinley sounds like a fun matchup. It will probably be another challenge for the Comets. I saw McK play last year vs. Lima, so I know that the Pups have some height. And McK also has plenty of quickness.

One thing I really like about Solon basketball is that Coach Tony De Cesare is fearless about scheduling tough opponents. The Comets also visit St. Ignatius later this season. So what if the Comets are young and lacking size? Playing McK and Ignatius will make Solon a better team. I love that attitude.

Sorry for looking so far ahead. Solon needs to take care of business at home vs. Euclid tonight and at Elyria Friday.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-10-17, 10:04 PM
NotCharlesBarkley NotCharlesBarkley is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-11-13
Location: Lorain
Posts: 68
NotCharlesBarkley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Solon cruised to an 81-61 home win over Strongsville last night. The Comets jumped out to a 19-8 lead after one period. Solon maintained at least a 10-point lead for most of the final three periods, and, if I remember correctly, once pushed the margin to 25 early in the final quarter.

Michael Bekelja had another great game. The sophomore guard connected for a game-high 24 points; mostly from outside the circle. Sincere Carry scored 16. Carry didn't shoot much. He spent most of the game setting up his teammates with some beautiful passes. Sincere also played standout defense. David Marbury excelled with 12 points and also played well defensively.

Strongsville was paced by 6-5 junior center Shaun Csire, whose 21 points kept the Mustangs from being blown out. Andrew Nelson and Brandon Kagan also played well for the Mustangs. Junior Omari Peek, a 6-6 forward, sat on the bench, out of uniform. I understand that he's a transfer and is awaiting eligibility. If/when he suits up, Strongsville will have another athletic big man to team with Csire. The Mustangs will probably be a much better team when Solon visits S-ville next month.

The Comets are 7-2 overall; 3-2 in Greater Cleveland Conference play. The Mustangs are either 3-7 or 4-6; I'm not quite sure.

Solon's got a busy week ahead. The Comets host Euclid Tuesday, then take the long trek to Elyria on Friday to battle a Pioneer team that just whipped Mentor. Next Sunday, the Comets play in that tournament in North Canton (I'm not sure what it's called these days). I'm also not sure of the opponent. Anyone out there know?
Since Peek had to sit out the 11 games, it is strange he decided to go to Strongsville versus a private school that had a shot to go to Columbus. But there is no doubt, with the addition of Peek, Strongsville will improve and turn their 20 point loss into a maybe a 10 to 15 point loss. Not sure their coach would win much even if had Lebron.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-11-17, 11:24 AM
SCBOH SCBOH is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-25-14
Posts: 25
SCBOH is on a distinguished road
Solon was able to get by Euclid last night 63-51. It wasn't pretty but it was a win and moves them to 8-2. Bekelja had 24 pts. again and Carry had plenty of rebounds, assists, and steals to go along with his 13 pts. Big match up Friday at Elyria. Elyria is on a roll taking out Mentor and Medina the past two games. It should be a great atmosphere and game.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-11-17, 03:15 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,541
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBOH View Post
Solon was able to get by Euclid last night 63-51. It wasn't pretty but it was a win and moves them to 8-2. Bekelja had 24 pts. again and Carry had plenty of rebounds, assists, and steals to go along with his 13 pts. Big match up Friday at Elyria. Elyria is on a roll taking out Mentor and Medina the past two games. It should be a great atmosphere and game.
Why was this such a close game? Because, from the start of the second period on, every Solon player went stone-cold from the outside, except for Michael Bekelja. The Comets didn't play terribly; they just stopped making shots. Bekelja kept Solon in the lead during the second and third periods when he was basically the only Comet scoring. Sincere's shooting was off, and he also got himself in some foul trouble, which hurt Solon's cause.

In the fourth period, however, Sincere converted some key baskets by driving the lane. He also made some clutch passes and big defensive plays.

Solon had trouble stopping 6-8 Euclid center Izsak Wyatt (I believe that's his name). Wyatt didn't start, but fueled the Panther offense in the second period with 12 points before getting himself in foul trouble. He finished with 16 points and fortunately for Solon, spent the early part of the fourth period (when Solon took over the game) on the bench with four fouls. I couldn't understand why that kid didn't start for a winless team and the only conclusion I could reach is that he must be foul-prone every game, and the Euclid coach must feel he needs to pick the right spots to use him. Wyatt is clearly their best player.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-11-17, 03:42 PM
BigBulldog's Avatar
BigBulldog BigBulldog is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-26-02
Posts: 7,236
BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm a Canton McKinley fan and I can't wait until our game with Solon on 1-15-2017 at North Canton Hoover.

It should be a great game.We have no big man but we win with our quickness,pressing,and defensive pressure.

Were small but can hit the boards well with our athletic and jumping ability.We drive to the hoop well and shoot the 3 ball very good.

We have very good guard play and go 8-10 deep.I look forward to playing Solon and having a track meet.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-11-17, 03:50 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,541
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
I'm a Canton McKinley fan and I can't wait until our game with Solon on 1-15-2017 at North Canton Hoover.

It should be a great game.We have no big man but we win with our quickness,pressing,and defensive pressure.

Were small but can hit the boards well with our athletic and jumping ability.We drive to the hoop well and shoot the 3 ball very good.

We have very good guard play and go 8-10 deep.I look forward to playing Solon and having a track meet.
The teams are mirror images of each other. Should be a fun game.

I'm just glad Raymar Morgan has used up his eligibility.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-11-17, 03:55 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,541
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Just a reminder - Friday's opponent, Elyria, has beaten the two teams - Medina and Mentor - that have handed Solon its two losses. And this one's at Elyria. The Comets have a tough, tough game prior to the McKinley matchup.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-12-17, 10:54 AM
BigBulldog's Avatar
BigBulldog BigBulldog is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-26-02
Posts: 7,236
BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Boys H.S. basketball: Mercy Medical Center Classic schedule set

Tuesday
Posted Nov 22, 2016 at 8:18 PM
Share

By Repository staff report
NORTH CANTON The schedule is set for the 2017 Mercy Medical Center Classic - a two-day, 13-game boys basketball showcase at Hoover High School on the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday weekend featuring eight Stark County teams.

In addition to Hoover, other county schools in the field are McKinley, Massillon, GlenOak, Central Catholic, St. Thomas Aquinas, Canton South and Fairless. Malvern also is in the classic. Huntington Prep (W.Va.), St. Ignatius, Brunswick, Solon and Holy Name are among the other notable schools coming to the event.


Day 1, which is Jan. 14, features six games, as the day begins with Strasburg playing Dalton at 11 a.m. and concludes with Hoover hosting Ignatius that night at 7:45.

The next day will feature seven games, running from 10 a.m. until 8:30 p.m., with McKinley meeting Solon in that final game. The Jan. 15 schedule also features the lone all-county matchup, with Canton South and Fairless playing each other at 5.

Tickets for games are $10 for adults, $5 for students and seniors, and military veterans are admitted free. Also, $20 day passes will be available, as will a $35 weekend pass.

A portion of all proceeds from the classic go to the Stark County Minority Scholarship Fund.

The full schedule follows below:

Mercy Medical Center Classic

At Hoover High School


Jan. 14

Strasburg vs. Dalton, 11 a.m.

Brunswick vs. Young. Ursuline, 12:45 p.m.

Teays Valley (W.Va.) vs. Gateway (Pa.), 2:30

Walnut Ridge vs. Central Catholic, 4:15

Medina Buckeye vs. St. Thomas Aquinas, 6

St. Ignatius vs. Hoover, 7:45


Jan. 15

SPIRE Academy vs. Massillon, 10 a.m.

Col. Hartley vs. Malvern, 11:45

Avon vs. GlenOak, 1:30 p.m.

Mars (Pa.) vs. Holy Name, 3:15

Canton South vs. Fairless, 5

Olmsted Falls vs. Huntington Prep (W.Va.) Blue, 6:45

Solon vs. McKinley, 8:30
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 - 2017 Canton McKinley Girls Basketball Season IUDOGS Girls Basketball 57 03-20-17 09:41 AM
Solon Comets 2016 Metacomet Football 149 11-14-16 10:39 AM
Elite Football Network Big mans Camp 2/8/15 Xpert07 National Football Board 1 07-31-15 09:19 PM
Elite OL/DL Comp Camp....Wixom, MI Xpert07 Football 0 02-13-15 11:10 AM
Brecksville Holiday Tournament 2014 toledodean Wrestling 175 01-07-15 04:25 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz