Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-07-17, 10:46 PM
All Region

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Was a terrific game by the way between Hoban and SVSM. I was rooting for the Irish as I had a Dad, A sister, and a few cousins attend SVSM. So I root for the Irish as my second favorite team. So go Irish. Was a very hard fought game.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-17, 10:54 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometsB&G View Post
1st half bad, just came off big win with Woodridge, game was very rough & sloppy & we played that way to to start the game, no excuses but it's fairly common to relax when you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, but that attitude of relaxing against an easy opponant is an ingrediant that contributes to upsets. Im not necessarily in favor of running up the score of course. Just go out the gates hard build the lead, and then maybe relax. Not good to toy around with fate lol. But no, I dont mean to sound too critical. I have faith that DiFalco knows what he doing. He certainly knows much more than me. Track is my sport. Basketball is just fun to watch. Great seeing some of the kids that were studs on the track team go out and perform well on the gridiron and the basketball court.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-17, 11:47 AM
All Ohio

Thurgood75 is on a distinguished road
This entire convo is irrelevant for the time being. Coventry is improving no doubt about that but they will need a little more consistency before anyone gives them the benefit of the doubt. In the past Coventry would be eliminated from the tournament in the first round but things seem to be changing. And with STVM in the region its hard for anybody to make a name. However with that being said i say with extreme confidence that Coventry or any basketball team in the PTC would have NOT won the ACS in the past 20 or so years.

Last edited by Thurgood75; 02-23-17 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 01:20 PM
All Region

StV boys enrollment number looks to be a whopping 295. More than I was personally expecting. Well see what happens with competitive balance, but it is a real possibility of StV jumping to D1. If that happens, Coventry, Alliance, Buchtel, and Tallmadge will all probably be having regionals on their minds. It'll be a fight for any one of those schools, but all four of them will certainly take heart with STVM out of the picture.
Old 02-08-17, 01:24 PM
All Region

Not that I support competitive balance of course, but it will do what it does. We'll just do the best we can do with the hand we end up getting dealt. After all, is their any other option?
Old 02-08-17, 01:44 PM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Not that I support competitive balance of course, but it will do what it does. We'll just do the best we can do with the hand we end up getting dealt. After all, is their any other option?
Any sort of balance will help, not to get into yet another pissing match but its like saying OSU you can recruit throughout the whole country, Michigan you can only get the boys that happen to come to you within your state. It really is ridiculous its gone on this long.
Old 02-08-17, 04:00 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
Any sort of balance will help, not to get into yet another pissing match but its like saying OSU you can recruit throughout the whole country, Michigan you can only get the boys that happen to come to you within your state. It really is ridiculous its gone on this long.
Not that privates don't recruit, but you act as if every athlete that goes to a private school was somehow stalked down and offered gifts a plenty to attend. That is simply not true. It's fun to say and fun to tease the privates because overall they kick the s___ out of the publics, but that's really just an excuse. MOST (not all) but MOST athletes go to privates because 1) They have been in private schools their whole life 2) Their parent(s) attended a certain school or 3) They live in a public district that is not desirable.
Old 02-08-17, 05:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Not that privates don't recruit, but you act as if every athlete that goes to a private school was somehow stalked down and offered gifts a plenty to attend. That is simply not true. It's fun to say and fun to tease the privates because overall they kick the s___ out of the publics, but that's really just an excuse. MOST (not all) but MOST athletes go to privates because 1) They have been in private schools their whole life 2) Their parent(s) attended a certain school or 3) They live in a public district that is not desirable.
From my post you came away with this assessment? OK. If the Tallmadge coach got two studs from the outside wouldn't that make a huge difference to that team this year? They would be really, really tough. That's all I'm saying but Tallmadge can't or chooses to do it the way HS sports should be ran. I used to have a lot of respect for TK at Hoban, I know for a fact he sniffed around and went after Martin from Green hard. This kid is gonna be one of the best in NE Ohio the next two years. This is a kid that isn't catholic and went thru the district his whole life. NONE of your 3 reasons would have fit this kid and family!!!!
Old 02-08-17, 05:35 PM
All Region

CometsB&G is on a distinguished road
Coventry made Joe Dunn's top 5 for Akron Area on 1350 today, not sure we are there, a young team still growing

Old 02-08-17, 05:40 PM
All Region

I don't agree with top five either, not yet. We need to prove ourselves. If we can knock off Buchtel, Tallmadge or Alliance this post season, well as beat everyone remaining on our schedule, then I'll consider it validation. I believe we are capable. It needs to happen. we need to make the results show what we are capable of, and let the result speak for themselves. Right now, I would put Hoban, SVSM, Ellet, Buchtel, Copley, and Stow ahead of us, Tallmadge maybe on par with us.
Old 02-08-17, 05:51 PM
Varsity

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
From my post you came away with this assessment? OK. If the Tallmadge coach got two studs from the outside wouldn't that make a huge difference to that team this year? They would be really, really tough. That's all I'm saying but Tallmadge can't or chooses to do it the way HS sports should be ran. I used to have a lot of respect for TK at Hoban, I know for a fact he sniffed around and went after Martin from Green hard. This kid is gonna be one of the best in NE Ohio the next two years. This is a kid that isn't catholic and went thru the district his whole life. NONE of your 3 reasons would have fit this kid and family!!!!
He may have sniffed but Martin wouldn't start at Hoban this year or next year. He would have to wait until his senior year to start. TK does not recruit players as you can see by his roster.
Old 02-08-17, 06:00 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
He may have sniffed but Martin wouldn't start at Hoban this year or next year. He would have to wait until his senior year to start. TK does not recruit players as you can see by his roster.
Maybe, maybe not, just cause you say so doesn't mean anything. He scored 27 against Jackson, probably one of the top three D1 teams in the state. With very little supporting cast. He's better than you think and Hobans not as good as you think. Speculate all you want.
Old 02-08-17, 08:22 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
How did Garrett Houser get there from Kent?
Old 02-08-17, 11:03 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not, just cause you say so doesn't mean anything. He scored 27 against Jackson, probably one of the top three D1 teams in the state. With very little supporting cast. He's better than you think and Hobans not as good as you think. Speculate all you want.
No speculation. Facts are facts 15-2, 7-0 NCL. Probably #1 district seed barring a meltdown. Played toe to toe with St V last night in a hostile environment and lost by 2 in OT. 2 Junior Guards Gurley and Houser played even with ST V's 2 division 1 signee's, both of which will start and letter 3-4 years. Hoban also has 3 sophomore Guards, 1 which starts and 1 is the 6th man off bench. Martin is a good guard but Hoban has several as good and bigger and stronger. Weakness there is not many bigs.
Old 02-08-17, 11:06 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Enrolled I would assume. Lots of Portage county students attend Hoban.
Old 02-08-17, 11:32 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Probably 76 West to Arlington Rd. Left on Arlington, right on 5th. Look for the dome on the right.

I thought Houser was from Green area, but I could be wrong.

Old 02-09-17, 06:01 AM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Irish could be D1 in Boys basketball with the competitive balance numbers. Irish Will remain D3 in Football. Hoban will be D2 in Football and remain D1 in basketball. Hoban two seniors Bickley and Cuppet played well vs STVM. The Irish are very young outside of (Williams, Graves and Sampson). Kool Aid drinkers the gap will widen before it becomes closer. Classes of 2019 & 2020 aren't even comparable. Houser, Gurley and Salopek have talent but who are the future bigs? Easterling, Knight and Cross?
Old 02-09-17, 06:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Just because a kid goes to a private or another district school does not mean that they were recruited. When I was in high school, 3 of us transferred out for our senior year at Hoban. Myself to Springfield, another to Falls, and a third to St V. We all 3 played basketball and all started at Hoban. I can only speak for myself, but I wasn't recruited to transfer, the reality is that all my friends went to Springfield. By the way, I lived in Ellet. I think we lose sight of the fact that these are kids. Talking to a kid is not recruiting. TK may have talked to Martin, but "went after"? No. I played with TK for 2 years at Hoban and know him well, he's not "recruiting".
Old 02-09-17, 06:58 AM
All Region

CometsB&G is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I don't want to speak for Houser but he has older children & has seen the decline in the Kent area & seen his son had some talent and made IMO the right decision. His son has a chance to be one of the lucky ones to get a scholly, probably wouldn't of happened if he stayed in Kent

Old 02-09-17, 08:01 AM
All Region

Quote:
Just because a kid goes to a private or another district school does not mean that they were recruited. When I was in high school, 3 of us transferred out for our senior year at Hoban. Myself to Springfield, another to Falls, and a third to St V. We all 3 played basketball and all started at Hoban. I can only speak for myself, but I wasn't recruited to transfer, the reality is that all my friends went to Springfield. By the way, I lived in Ellet. I think we lose sight of the fact that these are kids. Talking to a kid is not recruiting. TK may have talked to Martin, but "went after"? No. I played with TK for 2 years at Hoban and know him well, he's not "recruiting".
You're right his dad is just a dam liar. My bad Hoban on the up and up, I had a weak, silly moment.
Old 02-09-17, 08:43 AM
All Region

Quote:
No speculation. Facts are facts 15-2, 7-0 NCL. Probably #1 district seed barring a meltdown. Played toe to toe with St V last night in a hostile environment and lost by 2 in OT. 2 Junior Guards Gurley and Houser played even with ST V's 2 division 1 signee's, both of which will start and letter 3-4 years. Hoban also has 3 sophomore Guards, 1 which starts and 1 is the 6th man off bench. Martin is a good guard but Hoban has several as good and bigger and stronger. Weakness there is not many bigs.
You're right, all those guards are better and probably the best 5 guards in the state. Seems to me TK should have been "talking to" some bigs in the off season.
Old 02-09-17, 09:07 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Sooooo...ummmmmmmm...who are the top ten teams in Summit County?
Old 02-09-17, 09:37 AM
All Region

1. StV
2. Hoban
3. Copley
4. Ellet
5. Stow
6. Woodridge
7. Buchtel
8. Green
9. Coventry
10. Tallmadge

State title hopes only to StV and Hoban
Old 02-09-17, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
You're right his dad is just a dam liar. My bad Hoban on the up and up, I had a weak, silly moment.
Again, talking and recruiting are 2 very different things. Was he offered anything of value, or made promises that would entice him to attend? That's recruiting. Saying you should check out Hoban as an option for high school is not recruiting.
Old 02-09-17, 10:13 AM
Freshman

buchtalgriffs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
TK does not recruit players as you can see by his roster.
What do you call an 8th Grade player attending a Hoban basketball open gym which is what happened last fall? Did he just show up on his own?

Just cause not everyone he recruits does not enroll does not mean it doesn't happen. Just cause some of his players are c.y.o. does not mean they were not recruited. depending on how you define the term. Just cause your son wasnt recruited doesnt mean others aint.
Old 02-09-17, 10:21 AM
Freshman

buchtalgriffs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Talking to a kid is not recruiting. TK may have talked to Martin, but "went after"? No. I played with TK for 2 years at Hoban and know him well, he's not "recruiting".
Talkin most definitely is recruiting. It might not be illegal, but i say its recruting. that's how you get someone to come to any private school show them interest and make implications (or have others do so) that they would fit in with the program. No one is suggesting the coach is out paying kids or giving them special favors.

its simply an unfair advantage that hte private schools have that is decimating the akron schools
Old 02-09-17, 10:22 AM
All Region

Quote:
Again, talking and recruiting are 2 very different things. Was he offered anything of value, or made promises that would entice him to attend? That's recruiting. Saying you should check out Hoban as an option for high school is not recruiting.
Winless and worthless fight by both sides. Summit County top 10?
Old 02-09-17, 10:52 AM
All Ohio

Thurgood75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buchtalgriffs View Post
Talkin most definitely is recruiting. It might not be illegal, but i say its recruting. that's how you get someone to come to any private school show them interest and make implications (or have others do so) that they would fit in with the program. No one is suggesting the coach is out paying kids or giving them special favors.

its simply an unfair advantage that hte private schools have that is decimating the akron schools
Thats horse crap. The ACS coaches need to put more into the programs. Kids who take their craft serious (academics or athletics) want to go to a school and program that will help prepare them for the future. The kids are going to go where they think the have the best opportunity to succeed. When i'm at the various youth football games in the Akron area the privates have a presence and ACS coaches don't. It doesn't take much to show up to a youth football game with your schools shirt. The kids love that it makes em feel as if they are being recruited even though most never get spoken to besides hello or good game.

The publics need to step it up and stop looking for a handout. Coaches have to work with what you have and stop worrying about who is not there.
Old 02-09-17, 11:35 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchtalgriffs View Post

Oh I don't know, he's probably talking to all the 40 boys in the gym equally not just the top 2, LOL.
Old 02-09-17, 11:36 AM
All District

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1. StV
2. Hoban
3. Copley
4. Ellet
5. Stow
6. Woodridge
7. Buchtel
8. Green
9. Coventry
10. Tallmadge

State title hopes only to StV and Hoban
St v won't get past Trotwood Madison. Hoban won't get past Iggy.