Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-17-17, 10:38 PM
All Region

stoike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk8888 View Post
Appearanetly you haven't been to a copley game if you think they are a one man show. They play as a team and all of them are unselfish!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Only one game, but they were very unselfish, and played together very well. Also played smart basketball with very few mistakes, which basically was the difference in the outcome of the game.

And they can REALLY shoot the rock
Old 01-18-17, 12:28 AM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoike View Post
I agree. Only one game, but they were very unselfish, and played together very well. Also played smart basketball with very few mistakes, which basically was the difference in the outcome of the game.

And they can REALLY shoot the rock
First game this year where Copley's primary playmakers (Brenner & Roberts) both ran into early foul trouble in the same game. Roberts sat the whole 2nd qtr & Brenner the last 1/2 the 3rd & 1st half the 4th qtrs. Other guys had to pitch in and they responded. Williams, Dente and Hill with a number of big plays, supplemented by good D from Emich & Plescher. Stow has some really good players, apologize for not remembering the spelling of their names, but #20 & #11 are really nice players, #4 knows how to get the team into their stuff, and #15 is just damn good. He actually reminds me of a younger version of Kyle Young from Jackson. I know that's high praise, but that kid's potential is through the roof. Solid win for the Indians, and it didn't hurt that Brenner & Dente got hot from 3 late in the game. Brenner's motor never stops. Also pretty sure no one is gonna want to draw the Bulldogs in the tourney, as they will be one tough out.
Old 01-18-17, 05:31 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
First game this year where Copley's primary playmakers (Brenner & Roberts) both ran into early foul trouble in the same game. Roberts sat the whole 2nd qtr & Brenner the last 1/2 the 3rd & 1st half the 4th qtrs. Other guys had to pitch in and they responded. Williams, Dente and Hill with a number of big plays, supplemented by good D from Emich & Plescher. Stow has some really good players, apologize for not remembering the spelling of their names, but #20 & #11 are really nice players, #4 knows how to get the team into their stuff, and #15 is just damn good. He actually reminds me of a younger version of Kyle Young from Jackson. I know that's high praise, but that kid's potential is through the roof. Solid win for the Indians, and it didn't hurt that Brenner & Dente got hot from 3 late in the game. Brenner's motor never stops. Also pretty sure no one is gonna want to draw the Bulldogs in the tourney, as they will be one tough out.

Copley managed to beat Stow at their own game, which I find very interesting. First game of the season that Stow did not press a lot, and 2nd game where they slowed the pace down, but where Copley REALLY beat Stow at their own game was with 11 3-pointers! The coaches kid was the unsung hero..hit some huge shots. Quick release!

Stow really missed having Coryon Rice (ranked in top 30 players in his class in the state...but does not play to potential too often) who was suspended for a game apparently. #23 is a sophomore with vast potental. #15 is a stud! #11 was a little off his game but has been great all year. Probably a DIV-1 football player at WR, too. #20 is a slasher all the way.

The team has a lot of potential come tourney time if they can cut down on mistakes and play smarter.
Old 01-18-17, 11:08 AM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Copley managed to beat Stow at their own game, which I find very interesting. First game of the season that Stow did not press a lot, and 2nd game where they slowed the pace down, but where Copley REALLY beat Stow at their own game was with 11 3-pointers! The coaches kid was the unsung hero..hit some huge shots. Quick release!

Stow really missed having Coryon Rice (ranked in top 30 players in his class in the state...but does not play to potential too often) who was suspended for a game apparently. #23 is a sophomore with vast potental. #15 is a stud! #11 was a little off his game but has been great all year. Probably a DIV-1 football player at WR, too. #20 is a slasher all the way.

The team has a lot of potential come tourney time if they can cut down on mistakes and play smarter.
Actually meant to mention #23 as well, seems pretty smooth for his size & youth. Looks like a pretty strong core coming back for next year. Good luck to the Bulldogs the rest of the season.
Old 02-03-17, 10:35 PM
All Region

Stow is an enigma. Saw them again tonight (beat Twinsburg 59-45) and after seeing them 4 times, it is clear that their lack of a true point guard is going to be their downfall, because they have blown nice leads in 3 of the 4 losses and numerous other games because they struggle to beat the press...no great ball handler. They put Coryon Rice at the point tonight and he clearly has better handles and more confidence then their starting PG, so hoping that will help down the road. Too much size, athletic ability and shooting to lose games due to bad decisions.
Old 02-03-17, 10:56 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Coventry took out Woodridge 62-55. Dont overlook the Comets and their fiery young offense with Jarmond Hogg, Micah Wallace, Treon Sibley, and Drew Williams going forward.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-17, 10:05 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Coventry took out Woodridge 62-55. Dont overlook the Comets and their fiery young offense with Jarmond Hogg, Micah Wallace, Treon Sibley, and Drew Williams going forward.

Best Coventry team in a looooong time. Good luck the rest of the year!
Old 02-05-17, 10:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Best Coventry team in a looooong time. Good luck the rest of the year!
I dunno. Last years team, with Wess and Hargrove, was probably better. They graduated almost their entire varsity squad from last year though, and so are now rebuilding. But keep an eye on this squad. They may put last years crew to shame in the next couple years.

Old 02-05-17, 10:57 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
I dunno. Last years team, with Wess and Hargrove, was probably better. They graduated almost their entire varsity squad from last year though, and so are now rebuilding. But keep an eye on this squad. They may put last years crew to shame in the next couple years.

Average team in the worst league in the state. Take that from someone who has seen just about everyone in Stark and Summit county and probably knows as much about the Coventry kids as you do.

With that said, Im happy for them, glad they are having some success over there.
Old 02-05-17, 11:17 PM
All Ohio

They did knock out alliance last year...twice. And made it to district finals. Conner Wess now plays basketball for U of Walsh. And Hargrove is a d1 football recruit. Last years Coventry squad was as good, or if not, better than every team in summit county that isnt a private school or in d1. So there. And I wouldnt underestimate Woodridge in the PTC. They are becoming an athletic powerhouse. You were wrong about us last year, why should anyone take you seriously? Again, whats with you and lowly BigWorm? Last years Coventry squad was well regarded by pretty much everyone in the Akron area besides you guys. Whats the matter, lose an athlete or two to open enrollment?

Hmff...average...lol.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 02-06-17 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-06-17, 05:41 AM
All Region

CometsB&G is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Average team in the worst league in the state. Take that from someone who has seen just about everyone in Stark and Summit county and probably knows as much about the Coventry kids as you do.

With that said, Im happy for them, glad they are having some success over there.

The City is the worst league around Period, the PTC is no powerhouse though. It is what it is, no matter how you shake it up we are the 2nd best team in Canton District D2 for a few years now & to me that just means we are the 1st loser & Ellet has just performed poorly in big games & playoffs the last few years, wish them luck & hope they have a better postseason this year
Old 02-06-17, 06:10 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometsB&G View Post
The City is the worst league around Period, the PTC is no powerhouse though. It is what it is, no matter how you shake it up we are the 2nd best team in Canton District D2 for a few years now & to me that just means we are the 1st loser & Ellet has just performed poorly in big games & playoffs the last few years, wish them luck & hope they have a better postseason this year
You Coventry fans are something. This isn't about Ellet, I'm a realist about them too, so attack if you wish. This isn't even an attack on Coventry, it's a true and accurate assessment. Nobody outside of Coventry thints they're that good...nobody that knows basketball anyway.
True, the City Series stinks this year in basketball but to say they are worse than the PTC is laughable. That question was answered when North beat Field for God's sake!
The few Coventry fans on here come on and pound their chest about how good they are in basketball and football and the rest of us sit back and watch them pee down their leg. Get a clue and stop embarrassing yourselves.
Here's to a Buchtel - Coventry matchup in Canton, maybe that would shut you guys up.
Old 02-06-17, 06:47 AM
All Region

Quote:
You Coventry fans are something. This isn't about Ellet, I'm a realist about them too, so attack if you wish. This isn't even an attack on Coventry, it's a true and accurate assessment. Nobody outside of Coventry thints they're that good...nobody that knows basketball anyway.

True, the City Series stinks this year in basketball but to say they are worse than the PTC is laughable. That question was answered when North beat Field for God's sake!

The few Coventry fans on here come on and pound their chest about how good they are in basketball and football and the rest of us sit back and watch them pee down their leg. Get a clue and stop embarrassing yourselves.

Here's to a Buchtel - Coventry matchup in Canton, maybe that would shut you guys up.

If we lose that is respectful, their not bad unlike the lost to Cuyahoga Falls a couple years ago, your entitled to your opinion, I'm not pounding my chest, we can't get out of district that is all that really matters, we can't make playoffs in football, that is all that really matters, I try & keep it real, we are nothing special but we are proud Coventry Comets

Old 02-06-17, 07:19 AM
All Ohio

Alliance beat Buchtel. Coventry beat Alliance. So therefore, you must pardon us for arguing that we could have taken in Buchtel. Not saying we would have beatwn them, but it would have been a game. It was a game two years ago. Again Orangeman, name one school in summit county that is not a private or a d1 that is decisively better than Coventry. Not like a couple of points better, although there is something that could be said for that, clutch, but like 15, 20 points better. Name one school in summit county that was not a private or a d1 that would have beaten us that soundly. Remember, we made it to district finals last year. We beat the NBC champs twice. So what we lost to SVSM (Hargrove did put 18 points, a game high on thes guys). They were a state runnerup private school, what could anyone have expected.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 02-06-17 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-06-17, 07:26 AM
All Ohio

And you realize that the PTC metro is divided between the haves and the have nots. You bring up Field, the worst team in our league. But Coventry, Woodridge, and Streetsboro could take on the city league, with the clear exception of Ellet. It is just the bottom of our league that needs tremendous work. (The PTC metro with Coventry and Woodridge would utterly smash the city league btw in Track and Field so theres that. In Cross Country, we would look like bullies against you.).

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 02-06-17 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-06-17, 08:06 AM
All Region

Summit County Top 10

Ellet is a good team & I don't like bashing kids as they are just that kids who are usually inconsistent, I just hate haters, hate to hate, everyone who rooted for Falcons yesterday just because they're rooting against Bellichick & Brady, just let someone have there moment, he was a proud graduate at the time

Graduated 7 kids last year, 1 returning stater & varsity contributer, everyone else is really new to the team at varsity level, they still have things to improve on but they have done pretty well all in all

Old 02-06-17, 08:23 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Ellet is a good team & I don't like bashing kids as they are just that kids who are usually inconsistent, I just hate haters, hate to hate, everyone who rooted for Falcons yesterday just because they're rooting against Bellichick & Brady, just let someone have there moment, he was a proud graduate at the time

Graduated 7 kids last year, 1 returning stater & varsity contributer, everyone else is really new to the team at varsity level, they still have things to improve on but they have done pretty well all in all

Yup, they have done better this year than I ever had any right to hope for, all things considered. I have full faith in DiFalco's coaching, and I have full belief that this yrs group is capable of leaving its own mark. Such a classy and hard working group.

Old 02-06-17, 09:15 AM
Varsity

summit county player is on a distinguished road
The portage trail county league vs the city series?? You've got to be kidding me right? Im not sure that there is 1 ptc school in the history of the league that wouldve won a city title!! That being said the city series sure has fallen if you have coventry fans on here saying this nonsense!
Old 02-06-17, 10:04 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit county player View Post
The portage trail county league vs the city series?? You've got to be kidding me right? Im not sure that there is 1 ptc school in the history of the league that wouldve won a city title!! That being said the city series sure has fallen if you have coventry fans on here saying this nonsense!

We have competed very well against Buchtel & Ellet, never have played Firestone & won every other game we have played against the rest of City, not even close, better than Buchtel the last couple of years & took Ellet down to wire 4 years ago with our big who is at Pitt now getting the better of Ellet's big but pressure got us late but we was young & up & coming

Athleticism better in City, fundamentals is why the league is down & discipline, if you can handle pressure you will usually beat a City team

Old 02-06-17, 10:05 AM
All Region

And not the PTC County but the Metro

Old 02-06-17, 10:07 AM
All Region

And to be honest, we would have competed for a city title last year

Old 02-06-17, 10:30 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Dude, noone claiming that the ptc is better than the city, or that we would have had a city series title last year. But I am saying that we could certainly have been top 3. Coventry was probably on par with Buchtel last year, with both our games against Alliance being the focalpoint of my arguement. This year, we know nothing, other than Coventry beat East by 20. That said, I would not underestimate either Coventry nor Woodridge. Dont think either team could win in the city this year, neither would beat Ellet, either would be hard pressed to takeout Firestone and Buchtel, but I dont think I'm crazy to think either Coventry or Woodridge could take 2nd this year (with some luck) behind ellet would be tough, but I think its possible. But we dont know unless we play the games. The way it stands now, the city is certainly better. But the best 2 in the PTC metro would do ok for itself in the city for once, the league has improved. That being said, ptc schools are smaller than city schools, dont have the depth. But there is some good ball being played here, considering our size. We are just hampered by SVSM every year at district, making deep playoff runs unthinkable. And writing us off as average is certainly wrong. Maybe average in the county if you include d1 schools. But as far as d2 is concerned; certainly we are pretty good. If we were not in SVSM district, we may have had a shot at regionals. We just dont know.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 02-06-17 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-06-17, 11:41 AM
Varsity

chemlab is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dude, noone claiming that the ptc is better than the city, or that we would have had a city series title last year. But I am saying that we could certainly have been top 3. Coventry was probably on par with Buchtel last year, with both our games against Alliance being the focalpoint of my arguement. This year, we know nothing, other than Coventry beat East by 20. That said, I would not underestimate either Coventry nor Woodridge. Dont think either team could win in the city this year, neither would beat Ellet, either would be hard pressed to takeout Firestone and Buchtel, but I dont think I'm crazy to think either Coventry or Woodridge could take 2nd this year (with some luck) behind ellet would be tough, but I think its possible. But we dont know unless we play the games. The way it stands now, the city is certainly better. But the best 2 in the PTC metro would do ok for itself in the city for once, the league has improved. That being said, ptc schools are smaller than city schools, dont have the depth. But there is some good ball being played here, considering our size. We are just hampered by SVSM every year at district, making deep playoff runs unthinkable. And writing us off as average is certainly wrong. Maybe average in the county if you include d1 schools. But as far as d2 is concerned; certainly we are pretty good. If we were not in SVSM district, we may have had a shot at regionals. We just dont know.

Woodridge opened the season by beating Firestone.
Old 02-06-17, 11:50 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemlab View Post
Boom! Not shocked. I have a ton of respect for Woodridge athletics. Football, Basketball, Wrestling, Soccer, don't even get me started on Track and Cross Country.
Old 02-06-17, 01:33 PM
Varsity

summit county player is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemlab View Post
Ok my bad it seemed like the two leagues were being compared here! Firestone is the 4th best team in the city though. Ellet beat lake this year does that mean ellet would be the 2nd best team in the federal league?? No its one game! Woodridge and coventry would probably be the 3rd and 4th best teams in the city this year... i can agree with that!
Old 02-06-17, 01:43 PM
All District

KentuckyKlondikeBars is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

By far the worse league in state. Coventry is average at best
Old 02-06-17, 01:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyKlondikeBars View Post
By far the worse league in state. Coventry is average at best

Wow, ok, good chance we get the 2 seed in Canton District D2 & I'm sure Buchtel & Kenmore will jump on us which is fine, we are use to that but we can't get by ST. V, same story every year for last 3-4 years

Old 02-06-17, 01:49 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Ok my bad it seemed like the two leagues were being compared here! Firestone is the 4th best team in the city though. Ellet beat lake this year does that mean ellet would be the 2nd best team in the federal league?? No its one game! Woodridge and coventry would probably be the 3rd and 4th best teams in the city this year... i can agree with that!
Would agree with your assessment, but would not discount the possibility of an upset on the second best city series team. Also wouldn't discount Streetsboro, they can be very tenacious, just woefully inconsistent, if their barely holding off Springfield is any indication.
Old 02-06-17, 01:49 PM
All District

Quote:
Alliance beat Buchtel. Coventry beat Alliance. So therefore, you must pardon us for arguing that we could have taken in Buchtel. Not saying we would have beatwn them, but it would have been a game. It was a game two years ago. Again Orangeman, name one school in summit county that is not a private or a d1 that is decisively better than Coventry. Not like a couple of points better, although there is something that could be said for that, clutch, but like 15, 20 points better. Name one school in summit county that was not a private or a d1 that would have beaten us that soundly. Remember, we made it to district finals last year. We beat the NBC champs twice. So what we lost to SVSM (Hargrove did put 18 points, a game high on thes guys). They were a state runnerup private school, what could anyone have expected.

Ellet, Buchtel, Kenmore, Stow, Firestone, Copley, Green, probably Walsh and Tallmadge . Coventry is a about same as Garfield, Norton, Falls.
Old 02-06-17, 01:50 PM
All District

Quote:
Wow, ok, good chance we get the 2 seed in Canton District D2 & I'm sure Buchtel & Kenmore will jump on us which is fine, we are use to that but we can't get by ST. V, same story every year for last 3-4 years

You are in one of the weakest if not the weakest D2 brackets in the state