Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win the Suburban League American?
Aurora 1 2.78%
Barberton 8 22.22%
Copley 18 50.00%
Highland 3 8.33%
Kent Roosevelt 0 0%
Revere 3 8.33%
Tallmadge 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-16, 03:21 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Standings (Through 12/26 Games):
Code:
Team			Lg	All	PF	(Avg)	PA	(Avg)
Copley (Copley)		(3-0)	(5-0)	384	(76.8)	312	(62.4)
Highland (Medina)	(2-0)	(5-1)	381	(63.5)	349	(58.2)
Barberton (Barberton)	(1-1)	(4-1)	366	(73.2)	286	(57.2)
Tallmadge (Tallmadge)	(1-1)	(2-2)	235	(58.8)	255	(63.8)
Revere (Richfield)	(1-2)	(2-2)	241	(60.3)	244	(61.0)
Aurora (Aurora)		(1-2)	(2-4)	376	(62.7)	398	(66.3)
Roosevelt (Kent)	(0-3)	(0-6)	218	(36.3)	340	(56.7)
Old 12-27-16, 03:26 PM
Go Buckeyes

Games this week:

12/27/16 Twinsburg @ Aurora
12/27/16 Barberton @ Columbus St. Francis De Sales
12/27/16 Revere vs John Hay (@ Garfield Heights)
12/27/16 Tallmadge vs Canfield (@ Mount Union)
12/28/16 Mentor @ Barberton
12/28/16 Kent Roosevelt @ Ravenna
12/29/16 Copley @ Firestone
12/29/16 Highland vs Holy Name (@ North Royalton)
12/30/16 Highland vs North Royalton/Bedford (@ North Royalton)
12/30/16 Mogadore @ Tallmadge
Old 12-27-16, 03:35 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Excuse my ignorance and laziness to read through the thread:

There's usually a lot of individual talents up in NEO. Anyone to be on the lookout for in the SL this year?
Old 12-27-16, 04:01 PM
Go Buckeyes

Right now, the biggest recruit appears to be Pete Nance. His Dad played with the Cavs and brother is currently with the Lakers. I've heard he is getting interest from Big Ten schoolseconds. Not sure how accurate that is though.
Old 12-27-16, 06:19 PM
All Region

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Responding to Hitrun.

The 2 seniors that left did not leave due to the reasons you listed above. Both players were 2 year starters and played major minutes and roles for the team. 1 being the leading scorer and the other the best defensive player. Both of these players are national Honor society members (the only 2 on the team) with a very high academic schedule. New head coach is running 3-4 hour practices and was not flexible when approached by seniors who needed more time for studies. Coach also was creating a negative atmosphere by constant comments disparaging the team after losses. Head coach also did not attend team dinners that were provided by the parents to built team unity. This head coach cut 4 seniors leaving him 4, with 1 Jr, and the rest freshman and sophomores who did not have any JV experience, yet alone varsity. Of the 4 seniors he cut, 1 would have been the starting point guard and the other 3 were 6'3 or better. Yes they were high risk kids but deserved and needed mentoring and basketball.

This coach made a decision to toss the seniors aside, many who had played in the Kent school system since parks and rec. this coach claimed academics was number 1 and when he was approached sincerely by a senior starter who was having problems maintaining his high academic standards, 5 advanced placement classes, the coach would not budge on his 3-4 hour practices. This resulted in the player making a decision to focus on his academics.

This head coach also tried to deny 1 of his remaining seniors the opportunity to visit his mother over Christmas. When approached by the player who was going to miss 2-3 practices over Christmas break he told the player he would bench him for the next game and that the college scouts who were to be there to watch him would not see him play. This player had not spent time with his mother is 3 years. Only after parents went to AD and principal and filed a complaint against coach did he relax the threat.

For the underclassman who are benefitting from the lack of senior's and Jrs (1), they and their parents are thrilled that they are getting to play. I get that. However they will do well to win a few games over the next 2 years. This coach has been awful to the seniors, stubborn, inflexible and unapproachable. We will see how everyone feels when the team goes 0-22, or with 1-2 wins over the next 2 years.

Please get your facts straight before commenting on 2 players you know little about.
Old 12-27-16, 06:19 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Not real sure but the best bets are 640 WHLO, 1350, and 1590 WAKR
Thank You, I'll check it out.
Old 12-27-16, 09:23 PM
All District

Tomahawk8888 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How have the crowds been at SLA games?

I was disappointed in the crowd for both sides at the Tallmadge/Copley game. I guess the Tuesday night and close to Christmas break may have kept the crowd down.

The Kent/Tallmadge game was a very good and loud crowd. A little surprised by that because of Kent's rough start.

Packed at copley. Especially Friday nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-16, 09:29 PM
All District

Tomahawk8888 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
Thank you finally an answer that would be somewhat acurate.

Thanks

Or just a confirmation that the first post was accurate.
Doubting Big Thomas worm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-16, 09:31 PM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Right now, the biggest recruit appears to be Pete Nance. His Dad played with the Cavs and brother is currently with the Lakers. I've heard he is getting interest from Big Ten schoolseconds. Not sure how accurate that is though.
Larry Sr said as much while sitting in with Fred & AC on the Cavs-Lakers broadcast. Specifically mentioned Michigan and I'm pretty sure Ohio St as well.
Old 12-27-16, 10:21 PM
Go Buckeyes

Tallmadge 65, Canfield 64 OT
Old 12-27-16, 10:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Tallmadge 65, Canfield 64 OT
Good win for the Devils, Canfield is usually pretty solid.
Old 12-28-16, 09:42 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
aResponse to Cougarfan22: With all due respect, I have known the senior in question and his family for many years. Your explanation of the situation just expounds on the level of dissatisfaction many at Kent Roosevelt have w/the new basketball coach. All isn't as great as one poster explained. The problems started over the summer when the young man elected to attend his numerous baseball tournament commitments, some out of state, rather than participate 100% in the new basketball coaches off season program. His goal was to hopefully find a quality academic institution which would additionally afford him the opportunity to play college baseball, not basketball. Once the young man and his family realized that the basketball program wasn't going to allow him the opportunity to keep up with his studies and pursue a possible college baseball opportunity, the decision was made to leave the basketball program. The sad thing here is that any high school coach is being supported to basically abandon a senior class within his program, in order to establish his new program on his terms. The result is pretty apparent in the teams record, and prospects for the future. Eventually, these kids who are freshman and sophs, will become seniors, and face the same decisions current seniors had to deal with this past year regarding their commitment to the programs schedule, if the new coach even lasts that long.
Old 12-28-16, 09:46 AM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Didn't realize the Nance family resided in NEO. Pretty cool, thanks!
Old 12-28-16, 10:02 AM
All Ohio

I question how anyone could currently rate Pete Nance a top Big 10 basketball recruit. Sure he has some amazing genes, stands 6'9", and fashions himself as an off guard. But isn't that the problem? The young man should be dominating the high school competition he faces weekly, but that isn't the case. Seems content to just float 15-20 feet from the basket, looking for another jump shot. I realize that he has a great skill set, and you can't teach 6'9", but the kid needs to get physically stronger in order to compete against what he will encounter in the Big 10. I would hope that would come in time, but with all the young mans physical skills, he doesn't appear too interested in imposing his will in a physical manner against local high school competition, which is a far cry from the physical freaks he will be competing against eventually in any big time college conference.
Old 12-28-16, 10:58 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Write up on Tallmadge/Canfield game

http://www.tallmadgeexpress.com/spor...at-mount-union
Old 12-28-16, 10:59 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Didn't realize the Nance family resided in NEO. Pretty cool, thanks!
Pretty sure Larry Jr went to Revere?
Old 12-28-16, 12:26 PM
All Region

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
aResponse to Cougarfan22: With all due respect, I have known the senior in question and his family for many years. Your explanation of the situation just expounds on the level of dissatisfaction many at Kent Roosevelt have w/the new basketball coach. All isn't as great as one poster explained. The problems started over the summer when the young man elected to attend his numerous baseball tournament commitments, some out of state, rather than participate 100% in the new basketball coaches off season program. His goal was to hopefully find a quality academic institution which would additionally afford him the opportunity to play college baseball, not basketball. Once the young man and his family realized that the basketball program wasn't going to allow him the opportunity to keep up with his studies and pursue a possible college baseball opportunity, the decision was made to leave the basketball program. The sad thing here is that any high school coach is being supported to basically abandon a senior class within his program, in order to establish his new program on his terms. The result is pretty apparent in the teams record, and prospects for the future. Eventually, these kids who are freshman and sophs, will become seniors, and face the same decisions current seniors had to deal with this past year regarding their commitment to the programs schedule, if the new coach even lasts that long.
Yes the one senior you are referring to did not attend the summer workouts due to baseball commitments which were given to the head coach in advance and which he told this young man he wasn't going to play much because he wasn't committed. But he left in the end because the coach treated the player disrespectfully. He did not leave because of baseball. Academics and a coach who didn't care about a fine young man. The other senior was the only one who was 100% committed to the summer workouts and program and who in the end asked for practice time be reduced from 3-4 hours to something more reasonable due to academic demands. He was told no. All of these issues were taken to the AD, coach and school admin. All swept under the rug.

Got his first win last nights so all is good. May be his last of the season.
Old 12-28-16, 12:30 PM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I question how anyone could currently rate Pete Nance a top Big 10 basketball recruit. Sure he has some amazing genes, stands 6'9", and fashions himself as an off guard. But isn't that the problem? The young man should be dominating the high school competition he faces weekly, but that isn't the case. Seems content to just float 15-20 feet from the basket, looking for another jump shot. I realize that he has a great skill set, and you can't teach 6'9", but the kid needs to get physically stronger in order to compete against what he will encounter in the Big 10. I would hope that would come in time, but with all the young mans physical skills, he doesn't appear too interested in imposing his will in a physical manner against local high school competition, which is a far cry from the physical freaks he will be competing against eventually in any big time college conference.
Larry Jr. was a good HS player on a great team, being on a great team made him better. I watched him many times and thought he was very athletic but not dominant. I assume that's why he ended up at Wyoming, hardly a basketball school and once again assume nobody else bigger and better came calling. He's now with the Lakers and had a great 4 years at Wyoming. I assume that's why Petes gonna get looks from bigger schools after everyone passed on Larry Jr. and watched him blossom.
Old 12-28-16, 12:42 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
I assume that's why Petes gonna get looks from bigger schools after everyone passed on Larry Jr. and watched him blossom.
That is my thoughts also. I would say that Pete is ahead of Larry Jr right now, so it makes sense that Big Ten schools are looking at him. He's probably one of those ideal "prospects" that might not be the dominant HS player but has the body and skill set to have alot of success at the next level (and beyond).

With that said, he is still one of the best players in the league.
Old 12-28-16, 03:07 PM
All American

Quote:
That is my thoughts also. I would say that Pete is ahead of Larry Jr right now, so it makes sense that Big Ten schools are looking at him. He's probably one of those ideal "prospects" that might not be the dominant HS player but has the body and skill set to have alot of success at the next level (and beyond).

With that said, he is still one of the best players in the league.
Agree. That and the fact that I'm guessing Larry Sr knows a little more about what it takes to play at the D1 and NBA level than all of the experts on a sports forum....... Pete's strength will come in time, just like Larry Jr.
Old 12-28-16, 03:36 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quick update on the standings. Good for the league to see Kent get it's first win.

Standings (Through 12/27 Games):
Code:
Team			Lg	All	PF	(Avg)	PA	(Avg)
Copley (Copley)		(3-0)	(5-0)	384	(76.8)	312	(62.4)
Highland (Medina)	(2-0)	(5-1)	381	(63.5)	349	(58.2)
Barberton (Barberton)	(1-1)	(4-2)	423	(70.5)	356	(59.3)
Tallmadge (Tallmadge)	(1-1)	(3-2)	300	(60.0)	319	(63.8)
Revere (Richfield)	(1-2)	(3-2)	315	(63.0)	306	(61.2)
Aurora (Aurora)		(1-2)	(3-4)	453	(64.7)	465	(66.4)
Roosevelt (Kent)	(0-3)	(1-6)	271	(38.7)	368	(52.6)
Old 12-28-16, 04:46 PM
All Ohio

Although smaller during his high school career, Larry Jr. was always an aggressive player. His body obviously changed while in college, due to the hard work and time he must have put in thru the weight room. But, Larry Jr. always had the drive, and aggressive style of play, apparent in his personal make up, which no doubt helped him make it now with the Lakers of the NBA. Believe Pete may have more athletic gifts at this point in his development, but he has never been an aggressive player, unlike his older brother. His passive style of play is pretty apparent, as its not uncommon for an opposing teams big men to push Pete all over the floor. That never happened with Larry Jr. Just saying that's how things look now, and sure they can change, But, looks like the younger Nance now is pretty content to become the tallest shooting guard around.
Old 12-28-16, 08:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Although smaller during his high school career, Larry Jr. was always an aggressive player. His body obviously changed while in college, due to the hard work and time he must have put in thru the weight room. But, Larry Jr. always had the drive, and aggressive style of play, apparent in his personal make up, which no doubt helped him make it now with the Lakers of the NBA. Believe Pete may have more athletic gifts at this point in his development, but he has never been an aggressive player, unlike his older brother. His passive style of play is pretty apparent, as its not uncommon for an opposing teams big men to push Pete all over the floor. That never happened with Larry Jr. Just saying that's how things look now, and sure they can change, But, looks like the younger Nance now is pretty content to become the tallest shooting guard around.
No argument, but once again I would defer to Larry Sr on which buttons to push and when, including the strength training & development to be more of a 19-21 year old thing, like Larry Jr. I'm gonna guess there's some good thought behind that on Dad's part. To your point though, Larry Sr did say to AC & Fred on the Cavs -Lakers broadcast that he'd like to see Pete play as hard as Larry Jr.
Old 12-28-16, 10:06 PM
Go Buckeyes

Mentor 87, Barberton 69
Old 12-29-16, 12:16 AM
Varsity

PostOrPickScore is on a distinguished road
Simply don't agree with Hitnrun on this. Would not have classified Larry Junior as the least bit more aggressive than Pete at the similar times in their careers. Larry was more of a post up player and did not play on the perimeter as much as Pete because he couldn't. Pete has grown so quickly that he can't possibly keep weight on. with Petes supporting cast it is virtually impossible for him to dominate a game. Larry had a great point guard along with other good players and Pete has no help whatsoever . Hit nrun needs to stick to baseball.
Old 12-29-16, 09:59 AM
All Ohio

Any high school kid at 6'9", with Pete's skill set, who so many tout as a big time college prospect, needs to be a dominate force, especially in high school regardless of his supporting cast. In regard to his weak supporting cast argument, just check out the kids highlights with a great cast of AAU players on HUDL, YouTube, etc, and you will find Pete playing the same style, with similar results. Hang 15-20 feet from the basket, firing jumpers. It's just the way the young man is comfortable playing. I don't buy the "wait till college argument" before strength training. Kids of all shapes and sizes, in every athletic arena, concentrate on weight and strength training during their high school years. Nobody ever questioned the kids skills, just the lack of aggression in his style of game. But, no doubt he will land some type of great D1 offer, but it might be as a 6'11" off guard, lol.
Old 12-29-16, 10:50 AM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Any high school kid at 6'9", with Pete's skill set, who so many tout as a big time college prospect, needs to be a dominate force, especially in high school regardless of his supporting cast. In regard to his weak supporting cast argument, just check out the kids highlights with a great cast of AAU players on HUDL, YouTube, etc, and you will find Pete playing the same style, with similar results. Hang 15-20 feet from the basket, firing jumpers. It's just the way the young man is comfortable playing. I don't buy the "wait till college argument" before strength training. Kids of all shapes and sizes, in every athletic arena, concentrate on weight and strength training during their high school years. Nobody ever questioned the kids skills, just the lack of aggression in his style of game. But, no doubt he will land some type of great D1 offer, but it might be as a 6'11" off guard, lol.
His dad was not a dominate inside force, I watched that team on TV and live more than any other team including todays Cavs. His dad IMO was known for hitting those mid range jumpers very consistently. I will take a 6'10" player that can knock down the jumper, I will recruit kids that can and will bang inside. I also think there will be a huge difference once he gets to be a senior. And yes he should be standing out more but when your team is turning the ball over and your PG is dribbling off his foot and out of bounds you have to have some sort of supporting staff.
Old 12-29-16, 03:08 PM
Varsity

PostOrPickScore is on a distinguished road
Hit is now using hudl and Youtube highlites to support his reasoning. Evidently 6'9 juniors in high school that are still growing but can shoot the three as well as having good footwork in the post are plentiful. I can see why scouts should not be interested in him. After all today's game is all about the big post up center anyway. Oh wait.....
Old 12-29-16, 09:44 PM
All American

Copley wins one the hard way tonight at Firestone 92-86. Stone literally shot over 70% for the game, and was up 5 with 3 min left. Indians won those last 3 by the score of 13-2 to finish it off. Gotta give the Falcons credit for playing what appears to be one of their best games of the year so far, but ultimately Copley did find a way.
Old 12-29-16, 10:47 PM
Go Buckeyes

Holy Name 85, Highland 50