Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-18-17, 04:03 PM
All District

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
One of the better clubs outside of Indy, relative to population.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-17, 04:59 PM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
Maybe X will be the team to beat in the City.

UC continues to take other teams rejects.
Old 01-19-17, 02:51 PM
All American

Thumbs down

One thing we know for sure experience is not one of the new coaches strengths.
Normally high level players have no idea how to coach or teach.
But a great player makes it all better.

Basically low level coaches end up playing kick and run and Kill the kid with the ball , so Thug Ball, call it something else if you like.

I also want to know how is this coach going to get the top players ?

Maybe pay them , Illegal
Maybe Brib them, Illegal
Maybe she stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night

either way let me know how that all works out.

X is in some deep DO DO !
Old 01-19-17, 03:18 PM
All Ohio

Soccer Toe is on a distinguished road
Buck,
I am waiting for one of the local colleges to smarten up and hire the best coach around that knows it all and knows how everyone else is all messed up ... you.
Old 01-19-17, 04:02 PM
All District

notsoyappy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
Maybe X will be the team to beat in the City.

UC continues to take other teams rejects.
Don't knock it. USC won a national championship with other teams' rejects.
Old 01-19-17, 05:40 PM
Varsity

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
One thing we know for sure experience is not one of the new coaches strengths.
Normally high level players have no idea how to coach or teach.
But a great player makes it all better.

Basically low level coaches end up playing kick and run and Kill the kid with the ball , so Thug Ball, call it something else if you like.

I also want to know how is this coach going to get the top players ?

Maybe pay them , Illegal
Maybe Brib them, Illegal
Maybe she stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night

either way let me know how that all works out.

X is in some deep DO DO !
Haven't they been in the s*@ter for some time? Sherwood's record was 47-72-10. Some schools would have canned him a long time ago.
Old 01-19-17, 05:56 PM
Freshman

Fleeced is on a distinguished road
UC and X are much better options then Kentucky. That program could care less about the kids. They just dump them. Zero loyalty.
Old 01-24-17, 08:07 PM
Freshman

Is it normal for D-1 programs to wipe a kids existence off of their site if she chooses to leave the program?
Old 01-25-17, 01:57 PM
All District

Red Red is on a distinguished road
No it's not normal. Seems strange, she should be still part of 2016 team roster picture, stats etc..

I wonder how many are leaving the program? It will be interesting to see who they sign on signing day...
Old 01-25-17, 08:54 PM
Freshman

Would not doubt they have a significant class coming in. Just do not understand how a supposedly top notch program can treat their kids like this. Zero concern for the young females and their well being. Just a business.
Old 01-25-17, 09:42 PM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
who we talkin about
Old 02-07-17, 06:21 PM
Varsity

What Happens to the Verbal Commits?

With schools like Xavier, does anyone know what happens to the verbal commits? Sherwood was a losing coach. So, in comes the new blood, who will need to show that she can turn things around.

I'm sure that she is assuming that she is a better coach, so she can improve the performance of the current players. But they always say that in order to turn around a program, a new coach needs to bring in her own players.

The current roster will be around for awhile. This year's juniors will be in place for the coach's first year, the sophomores for two years, Freshmen for three years, and the class of 2017 signees for four years. I'm guessing that some of these players will be replaced over the next couple of years.

I'm wondering how all of these early verbal commits effect things. The class of 2018 is probably wrapped up. So, this takes the roster out a total of 5 years from today. I would not be surprised if offers were extended to 2019s and 2020s as well.

So, the new coach was hired to make a difference. She will need to show progress within a couple of years. I would think that the verbal commits (at least some of them) would be on thin ice. Does anyone know how this tends to get handled in Women's D1 soccer? I know that in football, both players and coaches reverse commitments all the time.
Old 02-07-17, 08:15 PM
All District

Empty CUP is on a distinguished road
She's likely going to have to hold onto the verbal commits, at least the Junior verbal commits. Because all the other great players who are Juniors will have committed already and unless they committed to a DII or NAIA school why would you jump for a school like X with a losing record and a new untested coach? Unless she goes with a small roster, and can offer more money than say UC, Purdue, Indiana, U of L or UK. There are just so few scholarships available and with these 32-36 girl rosters the math is easy. a 21 player roster is perfect, 7 get full rides and 14 get half. She could probably get some girls from the other locals who are not getting crap.

Buck just because she's new and young doesn't make her a hack. Give the lady a chance. If shes young she probably came from a decent club who played possession and maybe she'll focus on that.
Old 02-08-17, 08:43 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty CUP View Post
She's likely going to have to hold onto the verbal commits, at least the Junior verbal commits. Because all the other great players who are Juniors will have committed already and unless they committed to a DII or NAIA school why would you jump for a school like X with a losing record and a new untested coach? Unless she goes with a small roster, and can offer more money than say UC, Purdue, Indiana, U of L or UK. There are just so few scholarships available and with these 32-36 girl rosters the math is easy. a 21 player roster is perfect, 7 get full rides and 14 get half. She could probably get some girls from the other locals who are not getting crap.

Buck just because she's new and young doesn't make her a hack. Give the lady a chance. If shes young she probably came from a decent club who played possession and maybe she'll focus on that.
Good perspective. I guess part of this depends on what type of time horizon the school gave her to turn things around.

If I were the coach, I'd be thinking that I have to take the 2017 commits, and the 2018's. However, I would heavily scrutinize my current squad via the 2017 Spring season. I would consider cutting or persuading some lesser talent players based on how they perform. From there, I would opportunistically look for any 2018's that have potential but were overlooked by area programs. I would then aggressively focus on the 2019s and 2020s, potentially undoing some of the previous coach's commits from those classes. I would also look to give any talented 2018s and 2019s more playing time if they are worthy to send a message to the existing squad and future commits that they can get on the field....
Old 02-13-17, 02:16 PM
All American

Well, that is two area STUDS that the ACC and SEC has chewed up and spit out. One from Louisville and one from UK. Probably transferred because the educational opportunities were better :-)
Old 02-13-17, 03:10 PM
All District

[QUOTE=Empty CUP;6695960]She's likely going to have to hold onto the verbal commits, at least the Junior verbal commits. Because all the other great players who are Juniors will have committed already and unless they committed to a DII or NAIA school why would you jump for a school like X with a losing record and a new untested coach? Unless she goes with a small roster, and can offer more money than say UC, Purdue, Indiana, U of L or UK. There are just so few scholarships available and with these 32-36 girl rosters the math is easy. a 21 player roster is perfect, 7 get full rides and 14 get half. She could probably get some girls from the other locals who are not getting crap.

Cup does anyone use a 21 player roster in women's college soccer. I would imagine injuries would wipe out your roster pretty quick.
Old 02-13-17, 03:37 PM
All District

Quote:
Cup does anyone use a 21 player roster in women's college soccer. I would imagine injuries would wipe out your roster pretty quick.
Not anymore, but she will need to do something to jump start the next year or two, small rosters with cash and playing time can draw some pretty solid kids. 24-28 girl rosters are not unheard of. and I'm over the 32-36 kid ones. What's the point. I would just like to see X get back on track. Once they win it'll be easier to get decent kids with small or no cash offers.

I'm away from my computer right now, but I believe WV had a 22 or 23 girl roster this year.

Last edited by Empty CUP; 02-13-17 at 03:56 PM..
Old 02-14-17, 09:31 AM
All District

sportsfanofyear is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not anymore, but she will need to do something to jump start the next year or two, small rosters with cash and playing time can draw some pretty solid kids. 24-28 girl rosters are not unheard of. and I'm over the 32-36 kid ones. What's the point. I would just like to see X get back on track. Once they win it'll be easier to get decent kids with small or no cash offers.

I'm away from my computer right now, but I believe WV had a 22 or 23 girl roster this year.
WVU had 23 girls on the 2016 roster of which 2 were GKs (FR & JR). They are losing 4 seniors and have signed 9 players for the incoming class taking the 2017 roster to 28 players of which 4 will be GKs.

You have to have at least 22 players if you want to practice 11v11 (of which 2 must be GKs). I think that 24 is the ideal number for a D1 college team to roster. Any players above the roster size of 24 just don't see the field.
Old 02-14-17, 11:50 AM
All District

The average womens D1 roster is 28 players, I'm guessing there's a substantial injury rate which would justify 28 players
Old 02-14-17, 04:08 PM
All Ohio

Popps is on a distinguished road
FSU Roster's~21

The Florida State Seminoles Women's Soccer Team averages 21 rostered players per year. A few years ago they only rostered 20 and made it to the Final Four.
http://www.seminoles.com/SportSelect...4&SPSID=917041
Old 02-14-17, 06:37 PM
All District

I really believe 21-24 is the right number. But clearly these huge rosters are becoming more the norm. But than again so are kids accepting with no money offer at all, just to say they are playing there. I guess it's ok as long as kids keep falling for it.
Old 02-14-17, 10:53 PM
Varsity

From ScholarshipStats.com: The average roster size for D1 Women's Soccer team is 28. Athletic Scholarship limit is 14. Average roster for D2 is 27. Athletic Scholarship limit is 9.9.

This backs up the previous points that a full ride for soccer is not likely.
Old 02-15-17, 10:53 AM
All District

Can a D1 school not be fully funded? Thus offering only 10 or 12 scholarships?
Old 02-15-17, 11:12 AM
All Region

Schmitt is on a distinguished road
UC has 23 girls listed on their Spring roster. My understanding is that 2 of them are not returning. They had 10 incoming Freshmen @ Official Visit Orientation this past weekend. I don't know the breakdown of assistance offered but at least one is getting a Full.
Old 02-15-17, 12:03 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Red View Post
Can a D1 school not be fully funded? Thus offering only 10 or 12 scholarships?
Soccer is an equivalency sport. So, partial scholarships can be awarded as long as the combined awards do not exceed the limit for the sport. So, D1 women's soccer coach could give out 14 full rides and have the rest of the team pay their own way, or find some way to disperse the funds to all or most of the players via partial awards.

From a playing standpoint, a team of 21 - 23 players would be ideal. However, as coaches are extending offers to Freshmen and sophomores, they are increasing their roster sizes to hedge their bets. This has meant that a limited pool of money is being spread over a wider base of players.
Old 02-15-17, 12:34 PM
All District

[QUOTE=Conan73;6702313]Soccer is an equivalency sport. So, partial scholarships can be awarded as long as the combined awards do not exceed the limit for the sport. So, D1 women's soccer coach could give out 14 full rides and have the rest of the team pay their own way, or find some way to disperse the funds to all or most of the players via partial awards.

I heard some schools only offer 11 or 12 scholarships. Thus the pool of money is less. Can anyone confirm this or do they have to offer 14?
Old 02-15-17, 02:06 PM
All Ohio

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ammtd34
[QUOTE=Red Red;6702337]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan73 View Post
Soccer is an equivalency sport. So, partial scholarships can be awarded as long as the combined awards do not exceed the limit for the sport. So, D1 women's soccer coach could give out 14 full rides and have the rest of the team pay their own way, or find some way to disperse the funds to all or most of the players via partial awards.

I heard some schools only offer 11 or 12 scholarships. Thus the pool of money is less. Can anyone confirm this or do they have to offer 14?
They do not have to offer 14.
Old 02-15-17, 05:06 PM
All Region

belied dat is on a distinguished road
No school HAS to offer the expected scholarships -- except for the head count scholarships like in football, volleyball, women's gymnastics, women's tennis, and men's/women's basketball. They are limits, not mandates.

But...most of the time, due to Title IX, the women's scholarships will come close to matching the limits.
Old 02-16-17, 09:46 AM
All District

They may have a year or two where not all the scholarship money is used because they may have to hold some money out for upcoming commitments that are a year or two out that have bigger offers. Because of what current highly recruited players are getting. Full's are rare (but certainly not unheard of) in women's sports because of the amount spread out over a potential 4 years.

But if you talk to most parents their kids are getting fulls. I bet if you talked with most parents of the recent signing class they would tell you their kid is getting a full or a "BIG" offer. Yet numbers don't lie. I will say if a school is really interested they will work very hard to find a way to get it done, regardless of their athletic scholarship limitations. It's also one of the reasons grades are so important.
Old 02-16-17, 10:09 AM
All American

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They may have a year or two where not all the scholarship money is used because they may have to hold some money out for upcoming commitments that are a year or two out that have bigger offers. Because of what current highly recruited players are getting. Full's are rare (but certainly not unheard of) in women's sports because of the amount spread out over a potential 4 years.

But if you talk to most parents their kids are getting fulls. I bet if you talked with most parents of the recent signing class they would tell you their kid is getting a full or a "BIG" offer. Yet numbers don't lie. I will say if a school is really interested they will work very hard to find a way to get it done, regardless of their athletic scholarship limitations. It's also one of the reasons grades are so important.
Good analysis. Pretty much spot on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: