Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-05-16, 02:53 PM
Varsity

SCCRDAD is on a distinguished road
The “OESA position statement” is an attempt to deflect the fact they did not get the GDA in Cincinnati. You can bet the owner of OE definitely was interested but cannot play with other clubs because it’s not in his best pocket book, I mean his best interest. He is only interested in 100% control/ownership and since his club was not producing the level of players at the younger ages, while others like CU & KHA have, he knew it would not happen. The real shame would have been if Cincinnati did not get a girls DA program just like the boys side currently does not. Some of you will remember we did have a boys DA for a short time. Guess which club had the program? OE who basically screwed it up to the point that the powers that be believe that boys side in Cincy is not worthy of a program so any boys that ability have to travel to Columbus. I'm glad that exercise was NOT repeated.

I believe it is great to see two great local clubs come together to help develop future players for our national team. Overall this will affect a small number of players in the Cincinnati area therefore for the mainstream of players/clubs this is a non-issue. What it will provide is a place for those special players and families the outlet/opportunity to progress to a higher level on a local level!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-16, 03:45 PM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
ROTFLMAO..............WAIT................ROTFLMAO .................Can't stop..................ROTFLMAO............Might be the dumbest post of the year by sccrdad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-16, 04:03 PM
All Region

belied dat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty CUP View Post
You simply cannot convice me or anyone who has an ounce of sense that multi-sports does not make a healthier, more recriuted and better athlete. I'm sure all the pundit's are wrong and you're right.

Last I looked, the US women were the best in the nation. They are still trending up and look even better now than they did before and they have been looking great for a while.

Ever wonder what these athletes have to say about it. Seems since they are the ones playing it they might just have some insight. I pulled this from a D1 coaches Twitter this morning.

http://tcboost.com/u-s-women-were-mu...ing-on-soccer/

The women who are multi sports athletes and rising from the ECNL are unarguably the best female soccer players in the world.

and dat you can Belied.
Again, where are any stats/research across the world in regards to specialization? You (or anyone else can) start negating what specialization has done to world soccer in any other country to tell me (and these other "pundits") why specialization works elsewhere...but not in the US. How has specialization affected World Cup champions in men's soccer? How has specialization allowed for several countries to surpass the US in FIFA World Rankings in 2-3 short years?

I've addressed the "healthier" notion. That revolves around "rest." Whether that rest comes from not participating for a time period, cross training, other activities, etc. It is essential that "rest" happens. Your own sources basically say the "health" is improved not playing all the time because overuse happens. As long as an athlete understands "overuse" is an issue, then specialization isn't such a problem. Again, this is what clubs, high schools, and personal trainers fail in.

For certain sports, yes, specialization can be truly detrimental. I'll use football as the primary focus here. I wouldn't want anyone putting their bodies through a football season...year-round. That would be extremely harmful to a player. Thankfully, there's few (if any) places available that allow for full-tackle football for 8-10+ months a year.

Lastly, not one person has even addressed these "specialization" talks with anyone outside of the elite athlete. Those elite athletes are few and far between. Some specialization can be beneficial to the non-elite athlete, marginal athlete, or whoever else. Why? Because those athletes do have to dedicate more time/effort to reach a higher level than the elite athlete. They'll still never be the elite athlete, but with more focus on a specific sport they can end up having great careers in that sport. So, for those who may be struggling with playing time, skills, etc., maybe a little extra focus on a specific sport at some point in their youth careers can be beneficial -- especially with the intent to have rest or cross training to help ease from overuse.

So, to repeat myself yet again...I'm not against specialization, but I'm not totally for it either. I don't raise anyone else's kids but my own. I won't tell anyone what they should do with their kids, but I can help give them options. I do know that if I had the chance (or been educated) to specialize...I wish I would have. I needed all the time on a ball I could have gotten. When I ended up playing soccer every day during the summers in college, I was so much more confident and better on a ball. No doubt about it, I would have considered specializing much earlier in my youth career.
Old 07-05-16, 04:06 PM
All District

Upper 90 is on a distinguished road
It will end up impacting a lot more players than you think in the long run. Crew DA now has Pre-DA all the way down to 2006, min of 4x week, 10 months. They will want to get players together earlier than HS and the only way to do that is pre-DA with a lick and a promise of the real DA in the future. It won't be good enough for parents to be on CUP or KHA, they will want that Pre DA stuck on it then we will have Pre DA North, South, etc. Yes OE has a pre ECNL team as well, but only one team for U13. Grateful Dead - Shakedown Street.
Old 07-05-16, 09:14 PM
All American

WAKE UP PEOPLES!!!! The Da is easy. Kids whose parents own a business get first dibs. Anything with a membership is GOLDEN. Racquet Clubs, Swim Clubs........Free membership......Lil Mia is on the team. Any business that can bank roll team or club........Lil Mia STARTS!!!!! Try outs.....who cares. Just like ODP. Money talks SUCKERS! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-16, 11:00 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
WAKE UP PEOPLES!!!! The Da is easy. Kids whose parents own a business get first dibs. Anything with a membership is GOLDEN. Racquet Clubs, Swim Clubs........Free membership......Lil Mia is on the team. Any business that can bank roll team or club........Lil Mia STARTS!!!!! Try outs.....who cares. Just like ODP. Money talks SUCKERS! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A fully funded program that makes training available to all players of elite talent regardless of economic status, is ultimately the best option for soccer development in this country. It's really the best option for youth development in every sport in this country. Fact remains that just isn't happening. You seem to be a staunch supporter of the ECNL, degrading any other program that isn't a part of it. I'm not fully up on how that league is ran. Do the member clubs offer free membership and training to all players that fit the elite caliber athlete they seek? If not, aren't they also catering to the players/families that can afford it as well? So what is your real beef here with the DA or any other non-ECNL entity? Because high costs can't be it.
Old 07-06-16, 03:44 AM
All World

Well isn't this fitting. Two videos from Kristine Lilly posted yesterday on playing high school vs club and playing multiple sports.

https://youtu.be/qTRO-tjjFJk

https://youtu.be/vdThijKsZ5I
Old 07-06-16, 03:48 AM
All World

Colt's got an opinion on it too.

https://youtu.be/KO84a1hhqnQ
Old 07-06-16, 07:54 AM
All Region

Soccermadness is on a distinguished road
This thread is going in so many directions it is hard to know where to start, but...
High School vs. Club- IMO opinion it is likely better for overall technical soccer development to play club year around, however there are huge benefits to playing HS soccer beyond just skill development, especially if you play for a school with a good program. Leadership, school spirit, the pressure of playing in front of a large crowd, confidence and physical conditioning. The top schools the talent level is fairly decent and in some cases comprable to an MRL -level talent-wise.

Multiple sports is a tougher one. Obviously it would be ideal to play multiple sports and the videos all make decent points, but it is not realistic for most kids. You have to be a very special athlete (genetically) to excel at multiple sports in today's environment. Urban Meyer's kids play multiple sports because they are bigger, stronger and faster than 99% of the world without even working at it. Football is not a skill sport. If you are 6'2 with a 4.4 40 and a 42" vertical and decent hands you can play at the highest levels. If you are playing high level club soccer and HS soccer you have the month of January or Feb off a couple weeks of non-mandatory conditioning in the summer. When do you play these other sports without a special situation where a coach lets you show up or a rec environment. I have yet to find a club coach that is cool with you saying I'll see you guys at the April showcase I am playing HS soccer and basketball. Honestly at the big schools it is hard to play and make a team at multiple sports period. Most Football players are training/lifting/running year around.

ECNL vs. DA - IMO if the strong clubs move to the DA it will replicate the success of the ECNL in terms of players playing at the higher levels. The league has little to do with the players development it is just a platform for promotion. Flying across the coutry to play the San Diego Surf vs driving to Detroit to play the Michigan Elite has little bearing on the players development. The leagues are more of an adult power play and their will always be a new one forming in the future.
Old 07-06-16, 09:05 AM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Coach G, almost every current ECNL girl at OE plays for their HS team. Same with CUP and Hammer. Including the girls that have been called up to the National team. If OE was so anti play for your school don't you think it would be more pervasive kids not doing it? And leaving to play for CUP or Hammer? From lower level ECNL girls to Ravin. I have yet to see or read of a highly recruited player from the ECNL that didn't play for their High school.
As I have said many times please ask other HS coaches about it. Once you have done that then lets revisit this topic. Your lack of interest in doing so seems suspect at best or maybe you don’t know many HS coaches.
Quote:
You seem to be very anti ECNL, it looks to the trained eye to stem mainly from your dislike of DB. Being at CUP I can tell you there are some very polarizing coaches here as well. Hammer is no different. But it does not change the fact that the 3 produce awesome soccer players and have made South Western Ohio a hot bed for top athletes. That cannot be denied.
Simply because one league, the ECNL has shown over and over again with undeniable proof that it is the premier league in the country for producing top soccer players, you seem to want to drag it down. Perhaps because CUP has not been able to get in. Jealousy looks suspiciously like your constant beratement.
Actually I am not Anti-ECNL at all. I believe that CUP and KHA would compete very well in the ECNL and have played many ECNL teams and have done very well. My questions all along have been simple.
1. Why deny allowing into the ECNL a club or clubs that can compete with them even better than the current local ECNL clubs do?
2. What National players has OE had called up?
Quote:
I am jealous of the ECNL. I know what it can do for kids. I can see with no rose colored glasses what it has done for the National Team and Womens soccer as a whole. The NL is awesome, we get good to really good competition sometimes even great. Plenty of travel. Hell we've traveled more than my daughters friends in the ECNL actually, and it has allowed her the ability to land on a team at the next step.
But it's not the ECNL and just because we're jealous of it, does not mean it's not the best. Your hatred comes across as Petulant, and is unbecoming of a coach and I would have to question your ability to stay unbiased as a ref either for OE or against CUP/CU.
No reason to be jealous of the ECNL with the number of commitments the U16s have from CUP but then again I don’t believe you have a kid on that team at all.
Your assertions are about being unbiased are laughable. I dislike our current President but if needed to I would step in the way of a bullet for him because he is our President. I dislike many things our Govt Leaders do but I love the USA. I can disagree with a clubs leadership and a coach but that has nothing to do with the youth teams. They are players trying to do their best to grow as players and make no policies within the club. It’s a shame that you cant separate the differences in this situation and that you apparently would hold a grudge against teams. From your statements if you dislike Obama you must also dislike America. Please stop trying to paint me with the same colors you are. I am not like that at all. What a childish and immature thing for you to even try to say about me or any other coach. I truly hope you apologize for such a horrible thought.
Quote:
I swear I dont get this venom between fans of the 3 clubs. It's like a dirt bag hillbilly, who thinks Chevy is the best because that's what he has and anyone with a Ford or Dodge is "stupid". Cue the mullet, cut off shorts, dumb window sticker and belly overhang. SMDH....

How can anyone who says they love the sport take issue with any of the BIG 3, and what they bring to the area. Bobby/Tiffany/Tim/Doug are 4 very different people with 3 varying takes on how to play the game. Be happy we have these options for our girls. There are things I dont like about each club but holy are we lucky.

I don't like the dynamic of the DA, though it will be another good team in the area. But it's unncesssary.
You don’t get the venom because you don’t know the history involved in all of this. I suggest you either learn the history or just know that things have been said and done that cant be undone. Maybe if the ECNL did what they said a relegated clubs out and brought in the strongest clubs the clubs belong to the ECNL would look differently. Maybe just maybe of OE would step up locally and play some of the local teams they could prove what they have been saying rather than leaving it open to debate. I am sure you have heard the saying “Put up or shut up.”. I would like to see it settled on the field than by a bunch of people on yappi.
As for your statement about the DA not be necessary your wrong again. The DA will provide competition to the ECNL and they will help each other to grow and become better. This ultimately could benefit the players which is a good thing. The only people this isn’t good for is the ones in the ECNL that are profiting by having the ECNL.
Old 07-06-16, 09:09 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
Interesting read that OE put out. Are they saying OE has had 25 players called up to the national team or that the ECNL has?
Can anyone answer the question I asked a few days ago? I am trying to figure out what OE was saying in their release.
Old 07-06-16, 12:05 PM
All American

OE players being called into National Teams. WAKE UP COACH!! Over OE's history I would bet. Look, I have said it until I am blue in the face. ECNL is the BEST League with the overall BEST players. This is TRUE! Not to say there are some nuggets on other teams, but OVERALL the ECNL is the BEST platform. At some point you have to play the BEST to be the BEST. Nice to hide your kid on a subpar team, thinking she is a STUD, but at some point she has to come out of hiding.
Old 07-06-16, 12:12 PM
Varsity

sebbyb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, my issue is not with you. I was just using your post as a guide for the ability to play more.

It's aimed at coachg and belied dat. Although belied dat may have cognitive issues, so perhaps he should be excused from the conversation.

Coach G, almost every current ECNL girl at OE plays for their HS team. Same with CUP and Hammer. Including the girls that have been called up to the National team. If OE was so anti play for your school don't you think it would be more pervasive kids not doing it? And leaving to play for CUP or Hammer? From lower level ECNL girls to Ravin. I have yet to see or read of a highly recruited player from the ECNL that didn't play for their High school.

You seem to be very anti ECNL, it looks to the trained eye to stem mainly from your dislike of DB. Being at CUP I can tell you there are some very polarizing coaches here as well. Hammer is no different. But it does not change the fact that the 3 produce awesome soccer players and have made South Western Ohio a hot bed for top athletes. That cannot be denied.

Simply because one league, the ECNL has shown over and over again with undeniable proof that it is the premier league in the country for producing top soccer players, you seem to want to drag it down. Perhaps because CUP has not been able to get in. Jealousy looks suspiciously like your constant beratement.

I am jealous of the ECNL. I know what it can do for kids. I can see with no rose colored glasses what it has done for the National Team and Womens soccer as a whole. The NL is awesome, we get good to really good competition sometimes even great. Plenty of travel. Hell we've traveled more than my daughters friends in the ECNL actually, and it has allowed her the ability to land on a team at the next step.

But it's not the ECNL and just because we're jealous of it, does not mean it's not the best. Your hatred comes across as Petulant, and is unbecoming of a coach and I would have to question your ability to stay unbiased as a ref either for OE or against CUP/CU.

I swear I dont get this venom between fans of the 3 clubs. It's like a dirt bag hillbilly, who thinks Chevy is the best because that's what he has and anyone with a Ford or Dodge is "stupid". Cue the mullet, cut off shorts, dumb window sticker and belly overhang. SMDH....

How can anyone who says they love the sport take issue with any of the BIG 3, and what they bring to the area. Bobby/Tiffany/Tim/Doug are 4 very different people with 3 varying takes on how to play the game. Be happy we have these options for our girls. There are things I dont like about each club but holy are we lucky.

I don't like the dynamic of the DA, though it will be another good team in the area. But it's unncesssary.
EC, Practice what you preach. What's holding you back from leaving CUP for OE and the ECNL? I'm very familiar with the CUP 16s and every player on that team would make the OE team. Your daughter would have a better chance of earning playing time at OE. I'll let David know that you think CUP is a minor league operation and you want to play in the Major League's.
Good luck at Nationals!(really)

This is what you get when you specialize in the sport of soccer, attend a professional soccer academy and spend your whole life with a soccer ball at your foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LX4MoNZ6po
Old 07-06-16, 12:23 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbyb View Post
This is what you might get when you specialize in the sport of soccer, attend a professional soccer academy and spend your whole life with a soccer ball at your foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LX4MoNZ6po
Fixed it for you

Because truth be told, spending your entire childhood on a soccer field could very well leave you sick and tired of doing it, eventually quitting, and ending up here...

https://youtu.be/Q9eSOMWRmAw
Old 07-07-16, 08:07 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
OE players being called into National Teams. WAKE UP COACH!! Over OE's history I would bet. Look, I have said it until I am blue in the face. ECNL is the BEST League with the overall BEST players. This is TRUE! Not to say there are some nuggets on other teams, but OVERALL the ECNL is the BEST platform. At some point you have to play the BEST to be the BEST. Nice to hide your kid on a subpar team, thinking she is a STUD, but at some point she has to come out of hiding.
BS- Shooter- Don't get them in a wad. I am asking a question based off OE's statement below. I am trying to figure out if they meant they have had 25 players called up to the USNT's teams or are they saying the ECNL has? If OE has who were the players that were called up to the full squad is all I am asking. I would think that question would be easy to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOELITE5 View Post
Since 2002 Ohio Elite Soccer Academy has strived to put players in the most competitive training and competition environment possible. We have done so more aggressively and on the leading edge than any club in our community. We have also been the risk takers while others sat idle. This effort has resulted in hundreds of players moving on to the college ranks. “This philosophy has also resulted in 25 players being called into US National Teams from U14 to the Full Women’s National Team.”
Old 07-07-16, 08:15 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Fixed it for you

Because truth be told, spending your entire childhood on a soccer field could very well leave you sick and tired of doing it, eventually quitting, and ending up here...

https://youtu.be/Q9eSOMWRmAw
....or you could be making 5K Euro a week playing soccer in Germany at age 17.(Not missing out on his HS soccer experience)

https://www.theguardian.com/football...a-america-2016
Old 07-07-16, 08:58 AM
All World

Quote:
....or you could be making 5K Euro a week playing soccer in Germany at age 17.(Not missing out on his HS soccer experience)

https://www.theguardian.com/football...a-america-2016
Every kid is different. You need to let their passion be the guide, not what you think is their passion. Unfortunately the idea that a kid like that is more common than they really are is what drives parents to have their kids specializing by age 5 with private trainers and spending more time on the field each week than they do at school. The fact that every team, organization, class, camp, gym has "select" or "elite" or "(fill in the blank with whatever brand name you want that makes people feel their kid is special)", just feeds into the problem of every parent thinking their kid is special, and all they need is just be more dedicated (and spend more money) and they can be just like the kid you're touting.

In the end, it's far more likely a kid spending every waking moment with a soccer ball at their feet starting in elementary school, won't make it to high school still playing soccer, let alone to the pros. Notice I didn't say it wasn't possible, just saying my scenario is more likely than yours. Again, it completely depends on the kid, their passion, their natural athleticism, their temperament, and many other factors. Without all of those things being lined up perfectly, no amount of hours of training is going to turn you into a pro athlete. Those kids are a fraction of a fraction of a percent of our population.
Old 07-08-16, 07:26 AM
Junior Varsity

soccer21stcentury is on a distinguished road
Will the DA Clubs be holding open tryouts? How much will it cost parents to have their daughter play on a DA team?
Old 07-08-16, 01:25 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Every kid is different. You need to let their passion be the guide, not what you think is their passion. Unfortunately the idea that a kid like that is more common than they really are is what drives parents to have their kids specializing by age 5 with private trainers and spending more time on the field each week than they do at school. The fact that every team, organization, class, camp, gym has "select" or "elite" or "(fill in the blank with whatever brand name you want that makes people feel their kid is special)", just feeds into the problem of every parent thinking their kid is special, and all they need is just be more dedicated (and spend more money) and they can be just like the kid you're touting.

In the end, it's far more likely a kid spending every waking moment with a soccer ball at their feet starting in elementary school, won't make it to high school still playing soccer, let alone to the pros. Notice I didn't say it wasn't possible, just saying my scenario is more likely than yours. Again, it completely depends on the kid, their passion, their natural athleticism, their temperament, and many other factors. Without all of those things being lined up perfectly, no amount of hours of training is going to turn you into a pro athlete. Those kids are a fraction of a fraction of a percent of our population.
Why USA's Girls' Development Program is Long Overdue.

Looks like Ellis is trying to get away from the multi-sport "athletes" and trying to actually develop soccer players.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/stor...inrichs-022316
Old 07-08-16, 01:51 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
I bag on Top Drawer Soccer because I find it to be primarily a marketing platform for clubs, CUP and OE use it fairly often for that very reason, and for self-aggrandizing parents to promote Johnny and Suzy. It's mostly rubbish. I did, though, come across this interesting column that weighs in a bit on the GDA. Since OE is prominently featured in the article, though, the seed was more than likely planted by the club. If it had been a column in another publication, Soccer America for instance, I wouldn't be as skeptical. Still, though, it's worth a read. Just take it FWIW and in context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer21stcentury View Post
Will the DA Clubs be holding open tryouts? How much will it cost parents to have their daughter play on a DA team?
Hopefully the team selection will be apolitical. I'm pessimistic, though.

Costs probably will not be known until sometime in the summer of '17. We're still over a year away from this kicking off. It will be a lot of money due to travel expenses alone.

Last edited by Rohbino; 07-08-16 at 10:30 PM..
Old 07-08-16, 01:52 PM
All World

Quote:

Looks like Ellis is trying to get away from the multi-sport "athletes" and trying to actually develop soccer players.

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't read a single part of that article that had anything to do with playing other sports.
Old 07-08-16, 03:14 PM
All District

Upper 90 is on a distinguished road
It is kind of a mixed bag on costs but there are many boys DA's that charge 0 for the top 3 teams, everything included - unis, coaching, field fees, hotel, bus, air trip, etc. If you make the team you are golden and riding on the backs of those teams below you. Crew is like that, although you would have to talk to a parent to see if it is truly "free", who knows if they tack on extras here and there. Honestly I don't like the totally free concept, you have to have some skin in the game. I hate to bring this up but what are you putting down on your clearinghouse paperwork if someone else paid your way? If anyone from a college that you end up going to works for the club or feeder clubs that could be a problem. Something to think about.
Old 07-08-16, 09:45 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper 90 View Post
It is kind of a mixed bag on costs but there are many boys DA's that charge 0 for the top 3 teams, everything included - unis, coaching, field fees, hotel, bus, air trip, etc. If you make the team you are golden and riding on the backs of those teams below you. Crew is like that, although you would have to talk to a parent to see if it is truly "free", who knows if they tack on extras here and there. Honestly I don't like the totally free concept, you have to have some skin in the game. I hate to bring this up but what are you putting down on your clearinghouse paperwork if someone else paid your way? If anyone from a college that you end up going to works for the club or feeder clubs that could be a problem. Something to think about.
Their skin in the game is literally their own skin, their personal success. If you start to slack because it's free, you eventually won't make the cut and be gone. If the purpose of the DA is to truly foster the best American talent, a fully funded program will accomplish that. Oherwise you need to change your goal to "foster the best American talent that can afford it," because if you make money one of the biggest obstacles a player has to overcome to get top training US soccer is in no better position today than it was yesterday.
Old 07-09-16, 07:29 AM
All American

Quote:

Interesting article. I find this proclamation, within the article, to not always be true:

"More telling, however, is the swift shift in style that has suddenly, but finally, taken hold. The U.S. women are free from the longball and the direct style of play that characterized their identity going back to 1991, when Michelle Akers and the other famous U.S. national team pioneers put soccer on the map not just for girls, but for U.S. Soccer.

"The U.S., they've definitely under Jill have changed their style. For sure. It used to be very direct. They used to work off of Wambach. They're using other strengths,''

I still see the USWNT playing a direct style at times. I will concede that it has gotten better but it is still there. I'm hoping that this will filter down to the collegiate, club, and high school levels as well. At high school games it isn't a surprise to see a player in the back or a keeper boot the ball into the mid-field without any effort to play it out. It becomes repetitious: keeper or center back with a big foot boots the ball to a middling midfield that can't keep possession. What is surprising is to see club teams, that are supposedly "high level", do the same thing over and over. More surprising is when the coach allows it to happen over and over. It's no wonder that the direct style has been so hard to extinguish.

As to this whole multi-sport argument; someone brought up Urban Meyer and tOSU football. There was an article about all of this not too long ago. I made similar comments at that time and will again. It's not surprising to see multi-sport football players. Football players don't play club football. They don't play for a high school team in the fall and a club team in the spring. It's easier for them to be multi-sport athletes. It's also not unique to tOSU football. Just about every college team, regardless of division, has a roster full of multi-sport athletes. If a soccer player can be a multi-sport athlete then that's great. Too often, though, it's not easy to do so. One team ends up not getting the attention that it should, practices are skipped, school work and grades suffer, etc. Additionally, the kids do need time to relax and rejuvenate - physically and mentally. Kids should get some cross training and, particularly prior to high school, try some other sports. But there does come a time when it becomes too much. The comments about all of the multi-sport athletes on tOSU roster are old and stale. There's nothing unique about it. It would, though, be unique to see football players that aren't multi-sport athletes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper 90 View Post
It is kind of a mixed bag on costs but there are many boys DA's that charge 0 for the top 3 teams, everything included - unis, coaching, field fees, hotel, bus, air trip, etc.
Look at those DA clubs that aren't paying fees and you'll see that they're aligned with MLS teams. Ask the parents of the boys that play on the ISC DA teams how much they're paying. It's quite disparate from the parents of kids at Crew.

Last edited by Rohbino; 07-09-16 at 08:55 AM..
Old 07-09-16, 02:10 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccermadness View Post
One club on the list
Cincinnati Development Academy (Kings Hammer/CUP) (Cincinnati, Ohio)

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club...clubs_aid39396
28 additional clubs named to DA

http://www.ussoccerda.com/girls-da-w...ditional-clubs
Old 07-10-16, 07:38 AM
All Ohio

Soccer Toe is on a distinguished road
The Girls DA is listing a huge scholarship amount. Is that's per year or just the first year? Where is that money coming from?
Old 07-10-16, 05:02 PM
All World

The DA just added 28 more clubs and many were from the ECNL. One has to wonder if the ECNL was ever the best why so many clubs seem to be joining the DA or was it that many of them did agree with the direction of the ECNL? I wonder why they would want to join the DA since the ECNL is the best ever, or so many one here say?
Old 07-11-16, 11:12 AM
All American

Guys , start looking at the facts.
The ECNL clubs doing the DA are still doing the ECNL and Why not ? Great chance to pull even more top players from other clubs.

Secondly nothing is for free the scholarship is only for families that average houshold income is below 27,500 a year ?

So tell me how many kids are at the Elite level with a household income of that or below ?

What costs can a player or club expect?

Clubs will only pay a flat registration fee for players and coaches. Clubs are responsible for all team travel expenses to their league games and events.

Okay , who is paying the coach, travel, training facilities and what does the Club get out of all of this ?

The Academy strongly believes that no player should face a (financial) barrier to play soccer. Therefore, clubs are encourages to subsidize costs for players in financial need. In addition, U.S. Soccer offers a scholarship program, open to any full-time Academy player, to assist players with covering Academy travel cost. For more information, visit the scholarship program page.

So Clubs are encouraged to Subsidize the costs ? where is that money coming from ?

By combining age groups 14/15 16/17 18/19 you only end up with 3 teams and here locally not one club was good enough to get the DA alone, so they had to combine to get accepted, so you have a ton of kids going to get left out with only three teams.

Also put a fork in the 18/19 as they are already getting ready for college and could careless about the DA.

I am just waiting for the Clown Fight that is going to take place on Who will coach the teams CUP or KHA , I would buy tickets to that, Because I think Tiffany can Take Bobby

Does this mean No More ODP ?

Just a ton of questions to be answered as they fly by the seat of their pants.

Let's just see how this all evolves.
Old 07-11-16, 02:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer Toe View Post
The Girls DA is listing a huge scholarship amount. Is that's per year or just the first year? Where is that money coming from?
It's not as much as it appears to be. As per US Soccer's web site, there are 758 full scholarship players. As of now, the GDA has 58 clubs. At 58 clubs x 3 teams at each club, that's a total of 174 teams. 174 teams x an average of 23 players per team (I just came up with that number - it could be less or more) = 4002 players. 758/4002 = about 19% of the players on full scholarship. This is based on the number of GDA clubs as of today. The number of clubs will probably be higher than that. Additionally, I doubt that 19% of the players will qualify for those scholarships.

If the Federation were serious about growing the game it would offer full scholarships to kids much younger than the age in which the GDA starts. It would be going into the inner-cities and attempting to grow the game in areas that are largely underserved. Until I see them make a serious effort in that regard the scholarships for the GDA players are just fluff and window dressing. Those younger kids from the underserved areas will never get the opportunity to play at a high level because they will never develop the skills necessary to do so.

The chairman of CUP's BOD made this statement:

Quote:
We're talking about 60+ players playing for the entire DA club that could not play HS soccer. As a former HS coach I would highly recommend Freshman and Sophomore not play HS as the coaching and quality of play isn't anywhere close to club ball. But realistically HS soccer can absorb losing 60+ players especially since about 20+ wouldn't be on varsity anyway. My town has about 65 high school teams and yes there are a few high school that seem to "attract" more than their fair share of players to their school but by and large the effect of those 60+ players will be negligible.
This is a rather vague statement. I can understand the GDA players not being allowed to play high school soccer due to the rules of the GDA, but his statement makes it sound as if he recommends all freshmen & sophomore players not play high school soccer. If this is the case, is CUP, CU, or KHA going to offer a larger fall ball program for the non-GDA players?

(As a point of clarification, I really don't understand why GDA players are being asked not to play high school soccer. I only "understand" the point that the players in the GDA are going to be asked not to play high school soccer. The reality is that is is a silly rule. There will be a very small percentage of GDA players that will even make it into the NT pools. Everything else was just a pissing match between US Soccer and the ECNL.)
Old 07-11-16, 05:37 PM
All Ohio

Popps is on a distinguished road
Interesting Read!

http://equalizersoccer.com/2016/07/1...academy-clubs/

Anson • a day ago

You have to ask yourself how important is it to me to practice 4 times a week for 10 months, travel the USA, miss playing for my High School, missing school and being frowned upon because I'm not playing for my high school(traitor) and having to go ask my teachers and administration for my homework and notes since I'm going to go out of town for the 15th time. And by the way we have 23 players on my team and I'm number 20 and haven't played in a game in 2 months. Oh no re-entry thank goodness Coach says I might play the last 20 minutes because I'm working hard. I got a project I need to get done and were going to California this week. My grades are failing. Don't tell my parents!
But I like to practice and race to my car to get to practice 2 hours away and will get yelled at since traffic is all backed-up. I missed the Christmas Ball and will probably miss my Prom. No one has offered me and I'm not sure when I can go see any Colleges. Plus I'm not sure I want to play in College. I miss my friends!

Share ›

#1Fan • 11 hours ago

so everything you have written ex HS soccer part pretty much applies to the ECNL. Feels like DA will be cheaper, less travel. fewer games.and max rosters of 20. Like everything, people will decide what sacrifices they want to make for a sport. Nothing you have written is new or original.

Share ›

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: