Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-17, 10:14 PM
Varsity

cat_lover is on a distinguished road
4. She Loves You- F. -I'll Get You.
Old 02-16-17, 11:07 PM
All Ohio

Bevo is on a distinguished road
cat-lover - love that answer as it is correct! 4 - f (I believe that was my draft classification, also.)
Old 02-16-17, 11:08 PM
All Ohio

12- A is correct for cat-lover with the great John Lennon blasting out Help and Paulie covering I'm Down on the B side.
Old 02-16-17, 11:11 PM
All Ohio

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Strictly a wild guess. If nothing else, it may eliminate one wrong option.

5. I Want to Hold Your Hand
C. - I Saw Her Standing There
Old 02-16-17, 11:22 PM
All District

80greyhound
Hope I do better with this than the 1979 NBA draft. Straight from the orange and black Capital Records label..
9. I Feel Fine = D. If I Fell

One of my favorite flip flop 45's.
Old 02-17-17, 01:04 AM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Well before we tip off the Beatles' B side quiz, I heard the song Sit Down I Think I Love You by The Mojo Men today. We have talked about this tune before; probably on one of J.B.s great yearly quizzes. Anyway, as they use to say on that college academic show from long ago, "This one is a toss up" but I'm putting my money on JB.

Who wrote this song? Who produced this song? (Hardest part)- Who arranged this song? What was unique about the drummer?

Now, for the world's greatest group. I've offered two mini quizzes so far so this will be part C. Funny, the first B side quiz was easier because the B sides stick out more noticeably.

With the Liverpool lads, all of the songs were great - so not so easy. I said leading up to this that The Beatles were the kings of two-sided hits. That's just my opinion. I'm sure Elvis had many more and probably other performers as well. To me - other than Dylan - there just wasn't any one performer or band better than "Ladies and gentlemen The Beatles!"

There are two parts to the quiz. Let's go two guesses tonight until tomorrow noon. Then two more from noon until ten. Then we will see where we are.

A sides:

1. Love Me Do

2. Please, Please me

3. From Me to you

4. She Loves You

5. I Want to Hold Your Hand

6. Can't By Me Love

7. A Hard Day's Night

8. And I Love Her

9. I Feel Fine

10. Eight Days A Week

11. Ticket To Ride

12. Help

B sides:

A. - I'm Down

B. - Thank you Girl

C. - I Saw Her Standing There

D. - If I Fell

E. - P. S. I Love you

F. - I'll Get You

G. - Yes It Is

H. - You Can't Do That

I. - Things We Said Today

J. - I Don't Want to Spoil The Party

K. - Ask Me Why

L. - She's A Woman
Bevo,

Nice quiz on the boys from Liverpool, but I'm responding to your questions about The Mojo Men and their mini hit, "Sit Down I Think I Love You".

I couldn't tell you the last time I've heard that tune, but it's been many, many years. The song was actually on the second Buffalo Springfield album that had the big hit " For What It's Worth" and The Mojo Men covered the song about the same time. I do know that the song was written by Stephen Stills while he was a member of Buffalo Springfield.

I'm taking an educated guess that The Mojo Men's version may have been produced by Sly Stone prior to Sly and The Family Stone since he produced several San Francisco area garage bands in the late 60's including The Mojo Men, and The Beau Brummels. Incidentally, he also produced some songs for Bobby Freeman, who just passed away a couple of weeks ago. The arranger of the song was Brian Wilson's pal Van Dyke Parks.

Regarding the band's unique drummer, the only thing I can think of was the fact that The Mojo Men had a female drummer, Jan Errico, a real rarity at the time and nearly as rare even today.

JB
Old 02-17-17, 05:48 AM
All Ohio

Someone get the man a drink! Correct on all four!! Song had that period piece sound of Carnaby Street.

I was in Toledo yesterday and found a great fm station - 97.7. These kinds of obscure gems were all they played. Felt like I was in the Hills' brothers' basement and Bob had turned the 45 box upside down on the floor.
Old 02-17-17, 06:20 AM
All Ohio

Eagle guy - right on 5 - C I Want to hold Your Hand and I Saw Here Standing There.

80 greyhound - I am in a quandry on this one. I show a different answer which I just rechecked. Yet, you have the Capitol record label in your hand. Maybe a reshuffing and a reissue? I'll keep looking.
Old 02-17-17, 10:29 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Eagle guy - right on 5 - C I Want to hold Your Hand and I Saw Here Standing There.

80 greyhound - I am in a quandry on this one. I show a different answer which I just rechecked. Yet, you have the Capitol record label in your hand. Maybe a reshuffing and a reissue? I'll keep looking.
Bevo/80 greyhound,

Your two sided quandary has taken me back to my college era juke box days and I'm pretty certain that the flip-side of " I Feel Fine" was " She's A Woman".

Let me leave you with a related question concerning the Beau Brummels, the San Francisco garage band I just mentioned in your Mojo Men question from yesterday. . . .both the Mojo Men and the Beau Brummels at one time had Sly Stone as their manager, but do you know what the Beau Brummels are most well known for among most rock historians ? They have a pretty interesting niche in pop music that most people would be surprised to learn.

JB
Old 02-17-17, 10:37 AM
All Ohio

So, I was going to ask you to solve my Beatles' dilemma and instead you have given me a third option!

Now, I have:

I Feel Fine/ If I Fell

And I Love Her/If I Fell

I Feel Fine/She's A Woman

Your Beau Brummels' question is intriguing so let me ponder. Loved Laugh, Laugh, and Try Just A Little.
Old 02-17-17, 01:47 PM
All District

80greyhound
Smile

Bevo,

No quandaries, I'm probably mistaken. That was many moons ago and I played a lot Beatle 45s both A and B sides. They all seem to run together at this point. I didn't put a lot thought into my answer, I was trying to entertain my grandkids and answer trivia at the same time.
Old 02-17-17, 02:21 PM
All Region

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Bevo,
Sorry for not participating in this one. Back then, I didn't buy 45 records anymore. I only bought albums. I'm not sure why since you and I are the same age.
Anyway, just seeing the names of these tunes brings them back to me. Even their stuff from their early years is incredible. Amazing how we all still know the words, isn't it?
A big thank you as usual.
Old 02-17-17, 04:47 PM
All Ohio

80greyhound. Grandpa did good! The committee is taking the variety of answers under consideration. Sort of reminds me of Howard Hughes' various wills! (I believe I was mentioned in one but got screwed "by the man".)

45's and lp's? You had more dough. I suppose you had a nice basement, also? We had a cellar. I was 35 before I knew that not everyone "roded" out their plugged sewer. Rotor for the tv - yes, my dad and his plumber's pliers - when he wasn't busy "snaking" out the sewer.

Still in therapy over all of this!!

Yes, the early Beatle stuff was achingly beautiful. I have read recently that many believe that the fact that both John and Paul lost their mothers at an early age, contributed to this soulful melancholy. Paul said it was never discussed but he believed that it was in their songs - especially the one tender ones about yearning.
Old 02-17-17, 05:55 PM
All Region

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
As I said, I'm not sure why I bought albums by then instead of 45s. Dough? We moved 6 times between my ages of 6 and 14. Why? I still don't know. I got an allowance of 50 cents a week.
I did work summers at the school bookstore between 7th and 9th grade, so maybe that was where my big dough for a few albums came from.
Our basements were actually nice dwelling areas.....for the rats that came over from the pizza restaurant next door to our house. I got a good education, though, on how to kill them (one of my jobs to earn that big allowance).
If I recall, the reason I bought the albums instead of the 45s was that I got more songs for my total $$$ by purchasing an entire album.
Other than that, though, we were rich.
Old 02-17-17, 08:32 PM
All Ohio

Alright!

Fumbling around to see the significance of the Beau Brummels - other than two super '65ish songs. I even looked and couldn't find anything that unusual. So, I give - J.B., what is it? I did see the Rolling Stone top 500 song reference for "Laugh, Laugh" and the band being credited with the San Francisco sound of that time.

Just saw A Hard Day's Night on something and I love it all a lot! Really like the part with the boys playing "I Should have Known Better" in the rail car, with a very young Jennifer Boyd sitting there. John's harmonica is so good and goes on for so long.

This reminded me that 76 year old Delbert McClinton has a new album out called "P#ick of The Litter" that is suppose to be very, very good.

I knew this and I am sure some of you did also, but while Delbert McClinton was touring with Bruce Channel ("Hey Baby") in '62, Delbert played the harmonica part of that famous song. And, it was while on this tour that the Hamburg - saturated but still fledgling Beatles crossed paths with Channel and McClinton and Delbert taught John a few things about how to play blue's harmonica.

Just messing around tonight and watched and listen to the Lyle Lovett video "Friend of The Devil". It's from the Red Rocks' Amphitheater. It's really great and if unfamiliar, check it out. "I got a wife in Chino babe and one in Cherokee".

Back to The Beatles' quiz soon. It's a very hard quiz because all of the songs just run together in our minds. I thought we may bag a few based upon relative release dates. I'll close it out tomorrow if no one gets hot and publish Part D of the Beatles' B side quiz.

Last edited by Bevo; 02-17-17 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 09:15 PM
All Ohio

I am making an arbitrary decision and saying that 9 and D do not go together. If anyone has this 45, take a look and let us know. But, in an effort to stay with my listing, I am going to disallow. I have a feeling we are grinding to a halt, anyway.

The Upper Sandusky boys made 21 out of 35 3's tonight enroute to scoring 96 against Wynford.
Old 02-17-17, 10:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

Pretty surprised I got this right after all these years. As two of the early Beatles' songs, I can only imagine I memorized this more than "knew" it. Can think of only two of their albums I bought, naturally coming later than these songs: Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road.
Old 02-18-17, 12:14 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
... Just messing around tonight and watched and listen to the Lyle Lovett video "Friend of The Devil". It's from the Red Rocks' Amphitheater. It's really great and if unfamiliar, check it out. "I got a wife in Chino babe and one in Cherokee"...
Lovett's version of "Friend of the Devil" first appeared on the Grateful Dead tribute album "Deadicated" from about 25 years ago (which I once owned). It was one of my two or three favorite songs from that album. Very good version.

The original Grateful Dead's version is off their classic album, "American Beauty", when the Dead was at it's peak, IMO.

"I lit out from Reno, I was trailed by twenty hounds..." Good stuff.
Old 02-18-17, 12:49 PM
All Ohio

Blackhawk - it is really good, isn't it. So mournful a song of loss and time. Someone a long time ago on The Huddle (When this video was being discussed) said that the girl in the background was a then girlfriend who was mad at Lyle because he was messin' around. To placate her, he put her in the video. Adds a lot, I think, really.
There's a Dylan version of this live where Bob's crowd is basically on the stage. He just keeps playing. It was free at the time but I think it was getting so many views that now you have to pay to watch it. It was a really great long version.

As for The Beatles' quiz, to quote Woody Allen again from Annie Hall, "What we have here is a dead shark."

So...

1. Love Me Do/P.S. I Love You
2. Please, Please Me/Ask Me Why (beautiful song)
3. Fro Me To You/Thank You Girl
4. She Loves You/I'll Get You
5. I Want To Hold Your Hand/I Saw Her Standing There
6. Can't Buy Me Love/You Can't Do That
7. A Hard Day's Night/Things We Said Today (another hidden gem)
8. And I Love /If I Fell
9. I Feel Fine/She's A Woman
10. Eight Days A Week/I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
11. Ticket To Ride/Yes It Is (great tune!)
12. Help/I'm Down

Still have Part D of the Beatles' B side quiz which will be reduced into smaller groups. Later... .

Last edited by Bevo; 02-18-17 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 01:27 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Alright!

Fumbling around to see the significance of the Beau Brummels - other than two super '65ish songs. I even looked and couldn't find anything that unusual. So, I give - J.B., what is it? I did see the Rolling Stone top 500 song reference for "Laugh, Laugh" and the band being credited with the San Francisco sound of that time.

Just saw A Hard Day's Night on something and I love it all a lot! Really like the part with the boys playing "I Should have Known Better" in the rail car, with a very young Jennifer Boyd sitting there. John's harmonica is so good and goes on for so long.

This reminded me that 76 year old Delbert McClinton has a new album out called "P#ick of The Litter" that is suppose to be very, very good.

I knew this and I am sure some of you did also, but while Delbert McClinton was touring with Bruce Channel ("Hey Baby") in '62, Delbert played the harmonica part of that famous song. And, it was while on this tour that the Hamburg - saturated but still fledgling Beatles crossed paths with Channel and McClinton and Delbert taught John a few things about how to play blue's harmonica.

Just messing around tonight and watched and listen to the Lyle Lovett video "Friend of The Devil". It's from the Red Rocks' Amphitheater. It's really great and if unfamiliar, check it out. "I got a wife in Chino babe and one in Cherokee".

Back to The Beatles' quiz soon. It's a very hard quiz because all of the songs just run together in our minds. I thought we may bag a few based upon relative release dates. I'll close it out tomorrow if no one gets hot and publish Part D of the Beatles' B side quiz.
Bevo,

The little known fact about the Beau Brummels and their hit song "Laugh, Laugh" is that this was the first hit by an American band, considered to be influenced directly by the Beatles, to have a hit record nationally hit the top twenty pop charts after the Beatles and entire British Invasion took America by storm. "Laugh, Laugh" reached #15 in January of 1965. The band was also the first successful rock band to emerge nationally from the San Francisco rock scene. Their second hit " Just A Little" was actually their biggest hit, reaching #8 in May of 1965.

Glad to learn that Delbert McClinton has a new album released. I've been a fan of his for nearly 40 years and have much of his earlier stuff. His teaching John Lennon the harmonica is a piece of music trivia that is well worth repeating. I am looking at a concert ticket stub as I type this from one of the five best concerts I ever attended and it happens to be from Friday, October 30. 1992 at Bogarts in Cincinnati when Delbert was the headliner and Joe Ely was the opening act. The concert was sponsored by Benson & Hedges cigarettes and there were "cigarette girls" strolling around passing our packs of cigarettes to attendees, a very weird scene right out of a 1940's nightclub act, I even was given a souvenir Benson & Hedges lighter that night. Ah, but I digress, Delbert and Joe Ely were absolutely amazing that night. Great memories.

JB
Old 02-18-17, 03:46 PM
Varsity

Diva is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am making an arbitrary decision and saying that 9 and D do not go together. If anyone has this 45, take a look and let us know. But, in an effort to stay with my listing, I am going to disallow. I have a feeling we are grinding to a halt, anyway.

The Upper Sandusky boys made 21 out of 35 3's tonight enroute to scoring 96 against Wynford.
I must say I miss going to the games during the Diebler dynasty era.
Old 02-18-17, 05:06 PM
Junior Varsity

rdlwolverine is on a distinguished road
My two favorite Beatles 45 combos were I Want to Hold Your Hand/I Saw Her Standing There and one that was not on your list - Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane.
Old 02-18-17, 08:15 PM
All Ohio

Part D still to come... .
Old 02-18-17, 08:18 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlwolverine View Post
My two favorite Beatles 45 combos were I Want to Hold Your Hand/I Saw Her Standing There and one that was not on your list - Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane.
Now, I'll be singing, humming or whistling PL for days! Cute song about a street in the boys' history?
Old 02-18-17, 08:26 PM
All Ohio

Beatles' B side hits Part D.

Ok; it's difficult; I wouldn't get any of these right - except the one just mentioned. Let's go with two before midnight and two tomorrow starting at noon. If anyone is still alive, this will be a quickie, I believe.

13. Yesterday
14. We Can work It Out
15. Nowhere Man
16. Paperback Writer

A. Day Tripper
B. What Goes On (Good one - seldom heard)
C. Act Naturally
D. Rain (Remember this one?)

17. Yellow Submarine
18. Penny Lane
19. All You Need Is Love
20. Hello, Goodbye

E. Baby You're A Rich Man
F. Strawberry Fields
G. Eleanor Rigby
H. I Am The Walrus

21. Hey Jude
22. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
23. Get Back
24. Something
25. Twist And Shout

I. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
J. There's A Place ( My favorite of all of them)
K. Don't Let Me Down
L. Revolution
M. Come Together

This might push us over 50,000 views. Not bad for a bunch of soggy bottoms from foggy bottom!
Old 02-18-17, 11:31 PM
Varsity

14. We Can Work It Out.- A. Day Tripper
Old 02-18-17, 11:38 PM
Varsity

15. Nowhere Man/B.- What goes on. What goes on is a very good song that is seldom mentioned as a good song.
Old 02-19-17, 12:34 AM
All Ohio

cat-lover with We Can work It Out and Day Tripper - correct.

catlover again with Nowhere Man and What Goes On? Nowhere Man is such a classic plea by John. Isn't What Goes On sung by Ringo?

Check out Bad to Me by Billy J,. Kramer. Written mostly by John and such a nice pop sing. It is so Beatles.
Old 02-19-17, 12:41 AM
All Ohio

rdl with two great songs by the guys with Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane. The writing on these is so layered. Certainly can see the George Martin influence with the instruments and arrangements. Hard to believe these thoughtful songs of things observed in the present and the past were written by men in their 20's who had amazing powers of observation and reflection, and yet had not lived long lives by any calculation.
Old 02-19-17, 01:05 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
How about:

13. Yesterday and C. Act Naturally (?)

ROCK ON!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: