Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-17-17, 01:22 PM
Junior Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
Let's not tip toe around or misunderstand why these girls are playing club.

Bottom line:

Girls playing club (High School age) top team and Mom and Dad forking out good money the focus is college soccer.
Getting out in front of the college coaches is so much more important than anything else !

The fighting between clubs and who is ranked higher and who has the best record means absolutley Nothing !

Once these girls club careers are over , NO ONE CARES ANYMORE ABOUT CLUB ! it was an avenue to get to college.

Now, how is the DA going to get these girls out in front of the College coaches ?
Exactly the focus is to identify one or two special players and the rest will be on their own.

I know for a fact that the ECNL platform does the best job at getting those kids in front of those college coaches.

That is not going to change until somone finds a better way to do that.
Completely agree. US Soccer hates the college game, so doubt they will embrace the college coaches like ECNL does. They will relax the HS issue on the girls side if it keeps them from drawing talent.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-17, 04:47 PM
Varsity

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tS0ccr View Post
Completely agree. US Soccer hates the college game, so doubt they will embrace the college coaches like ECNL does. They will relax the HS issue on the girls side if it keeps them from drawing talent.
US Soccer, particularly on the Men's side, hates college soccer because it stunts the development of the elite players (those headed for the national teams). In other countries, there is no college game. The college-aged players are on pro teams playing and training 9 months out of the year. College places severe limits on training and playing in comparison.

Interestingly, there is a growing number of college coaches that do not like high school soccer. They say that for the elite player, high school soccer does not provide the appropriate level of competitiveness and training (on average). This is a major reason why they recruit from club soccer and not high school soccer.

As for the player, there are some elite level players that have expressed desires to not play for their respective high schools. They have said that the coaching, training, and competiveness compares unfavorably to their club teams. However, they have no choice. Those players have expressed a desire to have a club option for the Fall.

Now, this may be limited to a small number of players. Still, there are players that have expressed this desire.

So, for the DA, time will tell if it will work or not. Time will tell if there are enough players interested in not playing for their respective high schools. I say let the market judge whether this is a viable proposition or not.

Whatever happens, we should not disparage the kids that want to pursue the DA. Not everyone is blinded by false promises to make it at the national team level. There are a few players that genuinely like the club experience over the high school experience.

One last point, even if the DA allows kids to play high school soccer while being on a DA team, this won't work in Ohio. The DA will play games in the Fall. OHSAA rules would make the kid ineligible. States like VA and Florida, where a kid play high school and club at the same time, would have an advantage.
Old 02-17-17, 05:20 PM
Junior Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan73 View Post
US Soccer, particularly on the Men's side, hates college soccer because it stunts the development of the elite players (those headed for the national teams). In other countries, there is no college game. The college-aged players are on pro teams playing and training 9 months out of the year. College places severe limits on training and playing in comparison.

Interestingly, there is a growing number of college coaches that do not like high school soccer. They say that for the elite player, high school soccer does not provide the appropriate level of competitiveness and training (on average). This is a major reason why they recruit from club soccer and not high school soccer.

As for the player, there are some elite level players that have expressed desires to not play for their respective high schools. They have said that the coaching, training, and competiveness compares unfavorably to their club teams. However, they have no choice. Those players have expressed a desire to have a club option for the Fall.

Now, this may be limited to a small number of players. Still, there are players that have expressed this desire.

So, for the DA, time will tell if it will work or not. Time will tell if there are enough players interested in not playing for their respective high schools. I say let the market judge whether this is a viable proposition or not.

Whatever happens, we should not disparage the kids that want to pursue the DA. Not everyone is blinded by false promises to make it at the national team level. There are a few players that genuinely like the club experience over the high school experience.

One last point, even if the DA allows kids to play high school soccer while being on a DA team, this won't work in Ohio. The DA will play games in the Fall. OHSAA rules would make the kid ineligible. States like VA and Florida, where a kid play high school and club at the same time, would have an advantage.
Well, let's be clear. No one is disparaging any kids. They don't make the decisions, pay the money, etc...for the most part. High School soccer isn't about the competitiveness of the team, development, coaching, etc, etc...it is about playing under the lights, wearing your school jersey, in front of your peers, representing your school around the city and the state, camaraderie with your teammates. Ohio HS rules make it tough for kids in Ohio to balance club and HS, but I think kids will truly miss out on a once in a lifetime experience if they skip HS soccer (unless they truly are an elite and could go play at a top school, or crack the USWNT. They can certainly choose another path, and I wouldn't fault anyone for following their dreams, but HS soccer is not the root of all evil in the soccer world, and neither is college (this is still the goal on the girls side of soccer, regardless of what anyone does or says). Our sporting culture revolves around school sports, it is our culture, and there is nothing wrong with it in my opinion.
Old 02-20-17, 11:37 PM
Junior Varsity

soccer21stcentury is on a distinguished road
The DA will now allow girls to play high school?
Old 02-21-17, 08:10 AM
All Region

werns63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer21stcentury View Post
No?
Old 02-21-17, 08:47 AM
All District

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer21stcentury View Post
I think begrudgingly allowed is more accurate. A few months ago, a representative of the DA was pressed on allowing HS play and made a curt response about permitting it.

I'm betting it's going to be a club by club decision and frowned on (Based solely on my interpretation of the response).

http://www.soccerwire.com/news/clubs...h-school-play/
Old 02-21-17, 09:50 AM
Varsity

Per DA literature, they would prefer that a kid not play club and high school at the same time because it leads to over training, and the calibre of high school training is not supposed to be as good, and could conflict with what the DA is teaching. Interestingly enough, the DA is not going to discourage a player from playing another sport while being on a DA team (like basketball).

Still, even if the DA allows player to play for their respective high school teams while being in the DA, this is a non-starter for Ohio kids. If they participate in even one DA practice during high school season, they aren't allowed to play for their high schools
Old 02-21-17, 11:19 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan73 View Post
Per DA literature, they would prefer that a kid not play club and high school at the same time because it leads to over training, and the calibre of high school training is not supposed to be as good, and could conflict with what the DA is teaching. Interestingly enough, the DA is not going to discourage a player from playing another sport while being on a DA team (like basketball).

Still, even if the DA allows player to play for their respective high school teams while being in the DA, this is a non-starter for Ohio kids. If they participate in even one DA practice during high school season, they aren't allowed to play for their high schools
This^

OHSAA Wont allow them to do both. So, they still will have to decide DA or HS.
Old 02-23-17, 08:31 AM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
DA..........says it all. Any kid that chooses this over HS will regret their decision. They will not be able to get these years back.
Old 02-23-17, 10:19 AM
Varsity

Quote:
DA..........says it all. Any kid that chooses this over HS will regret their decision. They will not be able to get these years back.
There is no such thing as a one size fits all model. Every kid's high school experience is not the stuff out of a Hollywood movie where the coach is great, the team is great, the student body supports the team, the whole town comes out to the games, and the team has a glorious run in the state tournament.

I'll keep bringing up the stats. Roughly 9% of all high school girls soccer players will end up in college, and less than 3% will play in D1. The DA is designed to appeal to a minority of high school aged soccer players. On a team of 20 high school players, on average, you are talking about 2 or fewer players per team.

For some of those elite players, they're high school experience can't match the quality of their club experience, where they have excellent coaching and play against some of the best teams in the region and country. Some of those kids value that experience over their high school experiences, and would jump at the chance to have a viable alternative. Over the years I have spoke to some of them, and I know players that are considering trying out for the DA.
Old 02-23-17, 06:34 PM
All Region

How will Turpin be this year?
Old 02-24-17, 01:57 PM
All District

Red Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Not true. You train everday after school will less talented players. It drives the good plays crazy. The elite players struggle in HS.
Old 02-24-17, 02:05 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by werns63 View Post
How will Turpin be this year?
The will be above average, but not great. They missed thier window 2 years ago.
Old 02-24-17, 06:57 PM
All Ohio

Popps is on a distinguished road
Facts Please!

[QUOTE=Red Red;6709614]Not true. You train everday after school will less talented players. It drives the good plays crazy. The elite players struggle in HS.[/QUOTE]

Can you please share with us the facts that elite players struggle in High School?
Old 02-24-17, 08:09 PM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
facts thats a good one facts on here come on
Old 02-24-17, 09:11 PM
All District

[QUOTE=Popps;6709787]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Red View Post
Not true. You train everday after school will less talented players. It drives the good plays crazy. The elite players struggle in HS.[/QUOTE]

Can you please share with us the facts that elite players struggle in High School?
I think I said it wrong then. They can't stand playing with less talented players it's frustrating to them. The don't struggle putting up stats, HS is easy. They enjoy their club team better because of the like talent around them. Make sense?

Think about it... which is the better product HS or club. So if its club that would be more enjoyable.

My facts are talking with the many elite players over the last 10 years.
Old 02-25-17, 08:33 AM
Junior Varsity

Sports_Fan_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Red View Post
Not true. You train everday after school will less talented players. It drives the good plays crazy. The elite players struggle in HS.
Red I completely disagree with that statement. I have coached and spoke with just as many "elite" players who cannot stand CUP but know where the scholarships are and play for CUP. DA, CUP, Kings whatever you want to make this is simply money. Soccer is a beautiful game but it's not hard to coach and these guys are not reinventing the wheel. It's money money money.
Old 02-25-17, 10:46 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports_Fan_ View Post
Red I completely disagree with that statement. I have coached and spoke with just as many "elite" players who cannot stand CUP but know where the scholarships are and play for CUP. DA, CUP, Kings whatever you want to make this is simply money. Soccer is a beautiful game but it's not hard to coach and these guys are not reinventing the wheel. It's money money money.
I'm more in agreement with Red. His statements match the conversations and observations that I've had over the years
Old 02-25-17, 04:35 PM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
me i am probably in line with sports fan. kids i know to include my daughter enjoyed hs better. not gonna go so far as to say hated it just liked hs overall better. this isnt about one club thats kinda an overview. you fellas can argue all day everyone has their own preference no right or wrong
Old 02-25-17, 05:55 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusCrunch View Post
me i am probably in line with sports fan. kids i know to include my daughter enjoyed hs better. not gonna go so far as to say hated it just liked hs overall better. this isnt about one club thats kinda an overview. you fellas can argue all day everyone has their own preference no right or wrong
Agree. Statistics would say that we are talking about 1-2, maybe 3 girls per team on average. So, there are bound to be some girls that don't like their high school experience and would play club if they had an alternative; while there are also girls that enjoy the experience. This is not a one-size fits all world
Old 02-25-17, 09:59 PM
All District

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Agree with Red. My daughter loves playing for her HS, but gets frustrated at times.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: