Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-14-17, 10:29 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 41,630
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Revere knocked off Kenmore tonight 48-33.

IMO, Revere is the darkhorse in this district. I can see them knocking off East Tech and University School to get to the district semis.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-15-17, 09:53 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 12,194
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Revere knocked off Kenmore tonight 48-33.

IMO, Revere is the darkhorse in this district. I can see them knocking off East Tech and University School to get to the district semis.
Benny beat them by 19 on the 2nd night of a back to back. They will compete with US but they do not have the athletes to keep up with an East Tech.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-15-17, 02:59 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,475
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ora et labora View Post
Per mapquest:
Orange HS to SMF HS is 29.4 miles, so unless the school bus is traveling 60 MPH down Rt 91 during rush hour and stopping at no traffic lights, I think you estimate of "30 minutes at most" is a little off.
Benedictine is 31.6 miles from SMF HS. Mapquest has it 46 minutes by car under normal traffic, so again, on a school bus in rush hour, you are talking over an hour.
I'm sure the good people of the Orange school district can afford GPS in their Hummers. If rush hour on 91 scares them as it does you, I'm sure they can find alternate routes, such as Liberty Road from Solon into Twinsburg, and Stow Road from Twinsburg into Stow; left on Fishcreek to Graham, which is just a few hundred yards from Stow High. Thirty minutes, even during rush hour. You're really making a mountain out of a mole-hill.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-15-17, 03:16 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,475
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Agree it's not the end of the world but there are better options if so pursued. What about Bedford? They have no problems hosting football games and are right off the freeway. Warrensville use to host the Div I Districts and always can use the $s. Maple is another gym the right size for Div II, this is one that may be lacking the desire to host but then again a similar demographic in Garfield Hts who hosts a District so I could see Maple doing it. I suspect there may be another motive behind the placement of this District and it is not race.
Years ago, and I'm talking 1960s-early '70s, Bedford hosted the big-school sectional/district. Bedford hasn't hosted a basketball tournament since. Bedford's gym isn't real big for today's crowds, and it's a rather old gym. And I'm not sure Bedford wants to host. If they did, we probably would have seen tournaments there since they last hosted; if not boys, then girls.

While it's true that Warrensville hosted D1 a few years ago, their gym was woefully inadequate for the event. It's really small and run-down. The only reason that Warrensville hosted was that Cleveland South, where the district had been held previously, closed down and the Northeast Board needed another host fast. Solon was hosting a girls' sectional at the time. Solon later dropped the girls' tourney and picked up the boys'.

Maple has a decent sized gym. Back in the 80s, the Mustangs hosted the D1 tourney that is now in Solon. But the Maple Heights Police Department bullied the school district into dropping the tournament. Maple police panicked over fears of gangbangers taking over the gym and turning it into a war zone. I used to go there every year and never had a problem. But the cops over-reacted over groundless fears. That's why Maple won't host the event.

There really aren't any better places than Stow. Shaker's gym is nice, but too small. Twinsburg's is too small. Hudson's is nearly as far as Stow's and not as big. Kenston has a nice gym, but it's harder to reach than Stow's. It's on the edge of dairy farm-ville.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-15-17, 08:37 PM
Bennies'01 Bennies'01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-28-04
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 18,942
Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
I would like to think that perhaps since districts are only hosting thee games for district tournaments that there could be a discussion of some sites hosting multiple tournaments for multiple levels. For instance, Garfield Heights and Solon are already hosting DIII and DI, respectively, so why couldn't one of them also host DII? Why couldn't some of the better sites (centrally-located with decent facilities) host district tournaments at multiple levels?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-16-17, 09:16 AM
the123kidz the123kidz is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-21-10
Posts: 1,049
the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Revere knocked off Kenmore tonight 48-33.

IMO, Revere is the darkhorse in this district. I can see them knocking off East Tech and University School to get to the district semis.
Revere and CVCA will knock off a top 4 seed each.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-16-17, 07:44 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 41,630
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
Revere and CVCA will knock off a top 4 seed each.
That wouldn't surprise me. Revere has played a very competitive schedule this year. Their 10-10 record is a little deceiving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-17-17, 11:41 AM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,475
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
I would like to think that perhaps since districts are only hosting thee games for district tournaments that there could be a discussion of some sites hosting multiple tournaments for multiple levels. For instance, Garfield Heights and Solon are already hosting DIII and DI, respectively, so why couldn't one of them also host DII? Why couldn't some of the better sites (centrally-located with decent facilities) host district tournaments at multiple levels?
It's a good idea in theory. It would be feasible if the gym was open for the scheduling of that many events, and if enough volunteers could be rounded up to work the games.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-18-17, 07:36 AM
Bennies'01 Bennies'01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-28-04
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 18,942
Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
That wouldn't surprise me. Revere has played a very competitive schedule this year. Their 10-10 record is a little deceiving.
I'm selling Revere. They haven't been competitive against their competitive schedule, except for a "good" loss to Cornerstone Christian. The Nance kid is a solid player, but he's not been enough to get them over the hump in even just one of those games against top area teams.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-28-17, 10:47 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 41,630
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Revere 57, East Technical 46

This will come as a surprise to many but not to some of us in the Akron area. Revere is a much better team than their record and played a much tougher schedule than East Tech to get ready for the tournament. The win last week against Kenmore was the game that solidified my opinion of this game.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-28-17, 10:52 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 41,630
Yappi will become famous soon enough
DII Stow games tonight:

Benedictine 100, Ravenna 44
Revere 57, East Tech 46
CVCA 65, Streetsboro 36
Crestwood 85, Chagrin Falls 77
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-01-17, 09:04 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 12,194
Auggie is on a distinguished road
You guys called the Revere result last night, maybe the Senate is very down this year? What's the thinking on Woodridge? A lot of Ws but nobody of note on the schedule.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-01-17, 09:11 AM
BigWorm BigWorm is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-07-12
Posts: 3,502
BigWorm can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
You guys called the Revere result last night, maybe the Senate is very down this year? What's the thinking on Woodridge? A lot of Ws but nobody of note on the schedule.
They are okay...They play in the worse league in the state of Ohio though
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-01-17, 07:36 PM
the123kidz the123kidz is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-21-10
Posts: 1,049
the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
You guys called the Revere result last night, maybe the Senate is very down this year? What's the thinking on Woodridge? A lot of Ws but nobody of note on the schedule.
There signiture win this year was against CVCA. In that game CVCA couldn't buy a bucket. Woodridge deserved the win.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-01-17, 09:33 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 41,630
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
You guys called the Revere result last night, maybe the Senate is very down this year? What's the thinking on Woodridge? A lot of Ws but nobody of note on the schedule.
They are a good team. I would put them on the same level as I would put Revere. The CVCA/Woodridge game is going to be a very good game. Not sure who I would take as I could see it going either way.

Unfortunately for Woodridge, the PTC had three teams that really struggled this year (Ravenna, Field, Cloverleaf) and some of their OOC opponents were a little down (Firestone, Kent, Walsh, Garfield). Their schedule just wasn't as good as it could have been during normal years. With that said, they still played very well and pulled out the wins. Blowing out most of the teams they were supposed to.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-01-17, 10:09 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 475
CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Yeah, Id say Coventry played better OOC schedule with Ursuline, Mooney, and Alliance, then Woodridge did. The thing to remember is that these games are scheduled well in advance, and you can never be sure what the strength of schedule is gonna actually look like until the season is underway. And, you cant control what the rest of your league is gonna do. I really dont think there is another league more suitable for the likes of woodridge or coventry in their ambitions. We are both too small for the Suburban league. The city series is for the city. Pac is too much drive, and im not sure the pac is any better than the ptc. Any other league is too far to be considered. So ptc metro it is. After all the PTC metro is basically the fit for us small suburban/larger rural areas. It is what it is. Regardless, I wish Woodridge the best of luck, and will be pulling for them in their districts-we are impossible shots to meet deeper in the playoffs so yeah, no conflict there. Hopefully Woodridge will get the privilege to take on Benedictine, and Coventry will win the privilege to get drilled by SVSM again. Should be good.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-01-17, 10:39 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 41,630
Yappi will become famous soon enough
I thought the one curious decision by the PTC was adding Cloverleaf. That is a heck of a drive and didn't add to the top end of the league. If Tallmadge continues to shrink, they might end up in the PTC. Popular opinion is Field dropping down to the County but it wouldn't be a major surprise to see Cloverleaf look out their way for a closer league.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-01-17, 11:19 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 475
CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Ive said this before, but on another thread. Cloverleaf out. Field to PTC county, which is a mess by the way. Tallmadge and CVCA to PTC metro. I think it could be a fairly solid league across many sports, for the schools sizes. Football could be ok if not great. Basketball would be good with 5 decent teams in CVCA, Coventry, Woodridge, Tallmadge, and Streetsboro.. with Norton and Springfield as decent mid tier teams (I perhaps could compare a league containing those schools to the city league btw, albeit with much controversy). Wrestling would be good. Cross Country would be pretty good with Woodridge and CVCA perennial state contenders. Track would be really good with Coventry, Woodridge, Streetsboro, Tallmadge, and CVCA, and the other teams on the rise. Would be a great move to pick up those two schools imho. Although Im a bit biased because the implications for my area of expertise, Track and Field, would be AMAZING for the league.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-02-17, 09:58 AM
BigWorm BigWorm is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-07-12
Posts: 3,502
BigWorm can only hope to improve
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Yeah, Id say Coventry played better OOC schedule with Ursuline, Mooney, and Alliance, then Woodridge did. The thing to remember is that these games are scheduled well in advance, and you can never be sure what the strength of schedule is gonna actually look like until the season is underway. And, you cant control what the rest of your league is gonna do. I really dont think there is another league more suitable for the likes of woodridge or coventry in their ambitions. We are both too small for the Suburban league. The city series is for the city. Pac is too much drive, and im not sure the pac is any better than the ptc. Any other league is too far to be considered. So ptc metro it is. After all the PTC metro is basically the fit for us small suburban/larger rural areas. It is what it is. Regardless, I wish Woodridge the best of luck, and will be pulling for them in their districts-we are impossible shots to meet deeper in the playoffs so yeah, no conflict there. Hopefully Woodridge will get the privilege to take on Benedictine, and Coventry will win the privilege to get drilled by SVSM again. Should be good.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
No they are not! At maximum these games are scheduled unofficially as a "home and home" which would be a year in advance. Not far at all. It is not like college football where they are decades ahead of time.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-02-17, 11:22 AM
3out2in 3out2in is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-06-01
Location: Lakewood,OH,USA
Posts: 3,240
3out2in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I thought the one curious decision by the PTC was adding Cloverleaf. That is a heck of a drive and didn't add to the top end of the league. If Tallmadge continues to shrink, they might end up in the PTC. Popular opinion is Field dropping down to the County but it wouldn't be a major surprise to see Cloverleaf look out their way for a closer league.
Agree Yap. Cloverleaf would probably be best served by getting into the Patriot. There would be more schools around them and shorter bus rides. It is not a very difficult league so they could be more competitive.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-02-17, 11:32 AM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 475
CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
No they are not! At maximum these games are scheduled unofficially as a "home and home" which would be a year in advance. Not far at all. It is not like college football where they are decades ahead of time.
A few months is a long time at the high school level, especially in basketball. A single injury or two could set a team with promise way back. An athelete could have a major breakout season. Those minor changes could radically alter a team in basketball. You cant predict how a teams season is going to go a few months in advance very well. You can get some idea, but life happens. Hell, I had no idea what my Coventry was going to do this year, seeing as we graduated everybody from last season. This season could have gone many different ways, however it seemed to have gone as well as I could have reasonably hoped for thus far. When we scheduled Alliance for last season, we did not expect Alliance to be as good as they were. Or perhaps Coventry just exposed Alliance. Although Alliance did beat Buchtel, so idk. Anyway, point is, in a sport like Basketball, where one or two people can make or break a team, there is a large degree of uncertainty just a few months out.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-02-17, 11:38 AM
NEOballer NEOballer is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-27-12
Posts: 93
NEOballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Ive said this before, but on another thread. Cloverleaf out. Field to PTC county, which is a mess by the way. Tallmadge and CVCA to PTC metro. I think it could be a fairly solid league across many sports, for the schools sizes. Football could be ok if not great. Basketball would be good with 5 decent teams in CVCA, Coventry, Woodridge, Tallmadge, and Streetsboro.. with Norton and Springfield as decent mid tier teams (I perhaps could compare a league containing those schools to the city league btw, albeit with much controversy). Wrestling would be good. Cross Country would be pretty good with Woodridge and CVCA perennial state contenders. Track would be really good with Coventry, Woodridge, Streetsboro, Tallmadge, and CVCA, and the other teams on the rise. Would be a great move to pick up those two schools imho. Although Im a bit biased because the implications for my area of expertise, Track and Field, would be AMAZING for the league.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
PTC does not want CVCA.

Friday night's game should be terrific just like their previous meeting. Woodridge's record might be inflated because of their schedule, but they are a good team. Finally putting their pieces together.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-02-17, 01:01 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 475
CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOballer View Post
PTC does not want CVCA.

Friday night's game should be terrific just like their previous meeting. Woodridge's record might be inflated because of their schedule, but they are a good team. Finally putting their pieces together.
Disagree with ptcs choice. I think CVCA would be a terrific fit.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-03-17, 08:50 PM
chemlab chemlab is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-26-15
Posts: 54
chemlab is on a distinguished road
Woodridge 60 CVCA 58

CVCA shot really well early. Lydic scored 11 in for Woodridge to help them get the lead back in the 4th.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-03-17, 09:29 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 41,630
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Revere 68, University School 52
Benedictine 76, Orange 44
Cleveland Central Catholic 98, Crestwood 58
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-03-17, 10:20 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 41,630
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
IMO, Revere is the darkhorse in this district. I can see them knocking off East Tech and University School to get to the district semis.
I'm not right very often so I need to quote this post for posterity!!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-04-17, 12:59 AM
FootsWalker FootsWalker is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 02-02-07
Posts: 1,477
FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I'm not right very often so I need to quote this post for posterity!!
Great call Yap.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-06-17, 09:33 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 475
CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Good luck Woodridge. You now carry the mantle of the PTC Metro alone.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-08-17, 08:45 PM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 12,194
Auggie is on a distinguished road
The Revere run ends, they lose 62-51 to Benny. It was never really close, with 1:30 left and starters pulled it was 60-41.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-09-17, 09:11 PM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 3,125
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
District final set

Central Catholic vs Benedictine
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brecksville Holiday Tournament (12/29-30) cruiser_96 Wrestling 177 01-01-17 01:23 PM
Perrysburg D-1 District Rankings McClearn7 Wrestling 29 11-15-16 10:45 AM
Hoover D-1 District Rankings #2 McClearn7 Wrestling 5 11-11-16 06:07 PM
Garfield Heights D-3 District Rankings McClearn7 Wrestling 6 10-21-16 09:55 PM
Alliance D-2 District Preview McClearn7 Wrestling 7 12-02-15 05:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz