Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-14-17, 10:29 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Revere knocked off Kenmore tonight 48-33.

IMO, Revere is the darkhorse in this district. I can see them knocking off East Tech and University School to get to the district semis.
Old 02-15-17, 09:53 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post

IMO, Revere is the darkhorse in this district. I can see them knocking off East Tech and University School to get to the district semis.
Benny beat them by 19 on the 2nd night of a back to back. They will compete with US but they do not have the athletes to keep up with an East Tech.
Old 02-15-17, 02:59 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ora et labora View Post
Per mapquest:
Orange HS to SMF HS is 29.4 miles, so unless the school bus is traveling 60 MPH down Rt 91 during rush hour and stopping at no traffic lights, I think you estimate of "30 minutes at most" is a little off.
Benedictine is 31.6 miles from SMF HS. Mapquest has it 46 minutes by car under normal traffic, so again, on a school bus in rush hour, you are talking over an hour.
I'm sure the good people of the Orange school district can afford GPS in their Hummers. If rush hour on 91 scares them as it does you, I'm sure they can find alternate routes, such as Liberty Road from Solon into Twinsburg, and Stow Road from Twinsburg into Stow; left on Fishcreek to Graham, which is just a few hundred yards from Stow High. Thirty minutes, even during rush hour. You're really making a mountain out of a mole-hill.
Old 02-15-17, 03:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Agree it's not the end of the world but there are better options if so pursued. What about Bedford? They have no problems hosting football games and are right off the freeway. Warrensville use to host the Div I Districts and always can use the $s. Maple is another gym the right size for Div II, this is one that may be lacking the desire to host but then again a similar demographic in Garfield Hts who hosts a District so I could see Maple doing it. I suspect there may be another motive behind the placement of this District and it is not race.
Years ago, and I'm talking 1960s-early '70s, Bedford hosted the big-school sectional/district. Bedford hasn't hosted a basketball tournament since. Bedford's gym isn't real big for today's crowds, and it's a rather old gym. And I'm not sure Bedford wants to host. If they did, we probably would have seen tournaments there since they last hosted; if not boys, then girls.

While it's true that Warrensville hosted D1 a few years ago, their gym was woefully inadequate for the event. It's really small and run-down. The only reason that Warrensville hosted was that Cleveland South, where the district had been held previously, closed down and the Northeast Board needed another host fast. Solon was hosting a girls' sectional at the time. Solon later dropped the girls' tourney and picked up the boys'.

Maple has a decent sized gym. Back in the 80s, the Mustangs hosted the D1 tourney that is now in Solon. But the Maple Heights Police Department bullied the school district into dropping the tournament. Maple police panicked over fears of gangbangers taking over the gym and turning it into a war zone. I used to go there every year and never had a problem. But the cops over-reacted over groundless fears. That's why Maple won't host the event.

There really aren't any better places than Stow. Shaker's gym is nice, but too small. Twinsburg's is too small. Hudson's is nearly as far as Stow's and not as big. Kenston has a nice gym, but it's harder to reach than Stow's. It's on the edge of dairy farm-ville.
Old 02-15-17, 08:37 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
I would like to think that perhaps since districts are only hosting thee games for district tournaments that there could be a discussion of some sites hosting multiple tournaments for multiple levels. For instance, Garfield Heights and Solon are already hosting DIII and DI, respectively, so why couldn't one of them also host DII? Why couldn't some of the better sites (centrally-located with decent facilities) host district tournaments at multiple levels?
Old 02-16-17, 09:16 AM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Revere and CVCA will knock off a top 4 seed each.
Old 02-16-17, 07:44 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
Revere and CVCA will knock off a top 4 seed each.
That wouldn't surprise me. Revere has played a very competitive schedule this year. Their 10-10 record is a little deceiving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-17, 11:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
I would like to think that perhaps since districts are only hosting thee games for district tournaments that there could be a discussion of some sites hosting multiple tournaments for multiple levels. For instance, Garfield Heights and Solon are already hosting DIII and DI, respectively, so why couldn't one of them also host DII? Why couldn't some of the better sites (centrally-located with decent facilities) host district tournaments at multiple levels?
It's a good idea in theory. It would be feasible if the gym was open for the scheduling of that many events, and if enough volunteers could be rounded up to work the games.
Old 02-18-17, 07:36 AM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That wouldn't surprise me. Revere has played a very competitive schedule this year. Their 10-10 record is a little deceiving.
I'm selling Revere. They haven't been competitive against their competitive schedule, except for a "good" loss to Cornerstone Christian. The Nance kid is a solid player, but he's not been enough to get them over the hump in even just one of those games against top area teams.
Old 02-28-17, 10:47 PM
Go Buckeyes

Revere 57, East Technical 46

This will come as a surprise to many but not to some of us in the Akron area. Revere is a much better team than their record and played a much tougher schedule than East Tech to get ready for the tournament. The win last week against Kenmore was the game that solidified my opinion of this game.
Old 02-28-17, 10:52 PM
Go Buckeyes

DII Stow games tonight:

Benedictine 100, Ravenna 44
Revere 57, East Tech 46
CVCA 65, Streetsboro 36
Crestwood 85, Chagrin Falls 77
Old 03-01-17, 09:04 AM
All Yappi

You guys called the Revere result last night, maybe the Senate is very down this year? What's the thinking on Woodridge? A lot of Ws but nobody of note on the schedule.
Old 03-01-17, 09:11 AM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Quote:
You guys called the Revere result last night, maybe the Senate is very down this year? What's the thinking on Woodridge? A lot of Ws but nobody of note on the schedule.
They are okay...They play in the worse league in the state of Ohio though
Old 03-01-17, 07:36 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There signiture win this year was against CVCA. In that game CVCA couldn't buy a bucket. Woodridge deserved the win.
Old 03-01-17, 09:33 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
They are a good team. I would put them on the same level as I would put Revere. The CVCA/Woodridge game is going to be a very good game. Not sure who I would take as I could see it going either way.

Unfortunately for Woodridge, the PTC had three teams that really struggled this year (Ravenna, Field, Cloverleaf) and some of their OOC opponents were a little down (Firestone, Kent, Walsh, Garfield). Their schedule just wasn't as good as it could have been during normal years. With that said, they still played very well and pulled out the wins. Blowing out most of the teams they were supposed to.
Old 03-01-17, 10:09 PM
All Region

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Yeah, Id say Coventry played better OOC schedule with Ursuline, Mooney, and Alliance, then Woodridge did. The thing to remember is that these games are scheduled well in advance, and you can never be sure what the strength of schedule is gonna actually look like until the season is underway. And, you cant control what the rest of your league is gonna do. I really dont think there is another league more suitable for the likes of woodridge or coventry in their ambitions. We are both too small for the Suburban league. The city series is for the city. Pac is too much drive, and im not sure the pac is any better than the ptc. Any other league is too far to be considered. So ptc metro it is. After all the PTC metro is basically the fit for us small suburban/larger rural areas. It is what it is. Regardless, I wish Woodridge the best of luck, and will be pulling for them in their districts-we are impossible shots to meet deeper in the playoffs so yeah, no conflict there. Hopefully Woodridge will get the privilege to take on Benedictine, and Coventry will win the privilege to get drilled by SVSM again. Should be good.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-17, 10:39 PM
Go Buckeyes

I thought the one curious decision by the PTC was adding Cloverleaf. That is a heck of a drive and didn't add to the top end of the league. If Tallmadge continues to shrink, they might end up in the PTC. Popular opinion is Field dropping down to the County but it wouldn't be a major surprise to see Cloverleaf look out their way for a closer league.
Old 03-01-17, 11:19 PM
All Region

Ive said this before, but on another thread. Cloverleaf out. Field to PTC county, which is a mess by the way. Tallmadge and CVCA to PTC metro. I think it could be a fairly solid league across many sports, for the schools sizes. Football could be ok if not great. Basketball would be good with 5 decent teams in CVCA, Coventry, Woodridge, Tallmadge, and Streetsboro.. with Norton and Springfield as decent mid tier teams (I perhaps could compare a league containing those schools to the city league btw, albeit with much controversy). Wrestling would be good. Cross Country would be pretty good with Woodridge and CVCA perennial state contenders. Track would be really good with Coventry, Woodridge, Streetsboro, Tallmadge, and CVCA, and the other teams on the rise. Would be a great move to pick up those two schools imho. Although Im a bit biased because the implications for my area of expertise, Track and Field, would be AMAZING for the league.

Old 03-02-17, 09:58 AM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Yeah, Id say Coventry played better OOC schedule with Ursuline, Mooney, and Alliance, then Woodridge did. The thing to remember is that these games are scheduled well in advance, and you can never be sure what the strength of schedule is gonna actually look like until the season is underway. And, you cant control what the rest of your league is gonna do. I really dont think there is another league more suitable for the likes of woodridge or coventry in their ambitions. We are both too small for the Suburban league. The city series is for the city. Pac is too much drive, and im not sure the pac is any better than the ptc. Any other league is too far to be considered. So ptc metro it is. After all the PTC metro is basically the fit for us small suburban/larger rural areas. It is what it is. Regardless, I wish Woodridge the best of luck, and will be pulling for them in their districts-we are impossible shots to meet deeper in the playoffs so yeah, no conflict there. Hopefully Woodridge will get the privilege to take on Benedictine, and Coventry will win the privilege to get drilled by SVSM again. Should be good.

No they are not! At maximum these games are scheduled unofficially as a "home and home" which would be a year in advance. Not far at all. It is not like college football where they are decades ahead of time.
Old 03-02-17, 11:22 AM
All World

3out2in
Quote:
I thought the one curious decision by the PTC was adding Cloverleaf. That is a heck of a drive and didn't add to the top end of the league. If Tallmadge continues to shrink, they might end up in the PTC. Popular opinion is Field dropping down to the County but it wouldn't be a major surprise to see Cloverleaf look out their way for a closer league.
Agree Yap. Cloverleaf would probably be best served by getting into the Patriot. There would be more schools around them and shorter bus rides. It is not a very difficult league so they could be more competitive.
Old 03-02-17, 11:32 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
No they are not! At maximum these games are scheduled unofficially as a "home and home" which would be a year in advance. Not far at all. It is not like college football where they are decades ahead of time.
A few months is a long time at the high school level, especially in basketball. A single injury or two could set a team with promise way back. An athelete could have a major breakout season. Those minor changes could radically alter a team in basketball. You cant predict how a teams season is going to go a few months in advance very well. You can get some idea, but life happens. Hell, I had no idea what my Coventry was going to do this year, seeing as we graduated everybody from last season. This season could have gone many different ways, however it seemed to have gone as well as I could have reasonably hoped for thus far. When we scheduled Alliance for last season, we did not expect Alliance to be as good as they were. Or perhaps Coventry just exposed Alliance. Although Alliance did beat Buchtel, so idk. Anyway, point is, in a sport like Basketball, where one or two people can make or break a team, there is a large degree of uncertainty just a few months out.
Old 03-02-17, 11:38 AM
Varsity

NEOballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Ive said this before, but on another thread. Cloverleaf out. Field to PTC county, which is a mess by the way. Tallmadge and CVCA to PTC metro. I think it could be a fairly solid league across many sports, for the schools sizes. Football could be ok if not great. Basketball would be good with 5 decent teams in CVCA, Coventry, Woodridge, Tallmadge, and Streetsboro.. with Norton and Springfield as decent mid tier teams (I perhaps could compare a league containing those schools to the city league btw, albeit with much controversy). Wrestling would be good. Cross Country would be pretty good with Woodridge and CVCA perennial state contenders. Track would be really good with Coventry, Woodridge, Streetsboro, Tallmadge, and CVCA, and the other teams on the rise. Would be a great move to pick up those two schools imho. Although Im a bit biased because the implications for my area of expertise, Track and Field, would be AMAZING for the league.

PTC does not want CVCA.

Friday night's game should be terrific just like their previous meeting. Woodridge's record might be inflated because of their schedule, but they are a good team. Finally putting their pieces together.
Old 03-02-17, 01:01 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOballer View Post
PTC does not want CVCA.

Friday night's game should be terrific just like their previous meeting. Woodridge's record might be inflated because of their schedule, but they are a good team. Finally putting their pieces together.
Disagree with ptcs choice. I think CVCA would be a terrific fit.

Old 03-03-17, 08:50 PM
Varsity

chemlab is on a distinguished road
Woodridge 60 CVCA 58

CVCA shot really well early. Lydic scored 11 in for Woodridge to help them get the lead back in the 4th.
Old 03-03-17, 09:29 PM
Go Buckeyes

Revere 68, University School 52
Benedictine 76, Orange 44
Cleveland Central Catholic 98, Crestwood 58
Old 03-03-17, 10:20 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
I'm not right very often so I need to quote this post for posterity!!
Old 03-04-17, 12:59 AM
All American

FootsWalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not right very often so I need to quote this post for posterity!!
Great call Yap.
Old 03-06-17, 09:33 PM
All Region

Good luck Woodridge. You now carry the mantle of the PTC Metro alone.

Old 03-08-17, 08:45 PM
All Yappi

The Revere run ends, they lose 62-51 to Benny. It was never really close, with 1:30 left and starters pulled it was 60-41.
Old 03-09-17, 09:11 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
District final set

Central Catholic vs Benedictine