Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-09-17, 11:43 AM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
I agree with Thurgood. I believe that the best way to stave off the incessant private school recruiting efforts is to maintain strong youth programs with close ties to the high school, and promote the image that playing for the local high school team, alongside players whom a kid has played with his whole life, is going to be a solid option for the kids future. That effectively makes the district area very difficult to recruit from. An example of this is Walsh. They used to recruit the surrounding communities to death, to maintain their solid football program. Then Hudson, Stow, and now Woodridge have all stepped up their youth programs as well as their high school programs. Now Walsh must search for new fertile recruiting grounds, and in the meantime, they remain starved of talent. Of course, strong youth programs are generally easier said then done in inner city schools. which is why, I think, that Privates tend to find a lot more of their recruits in the inner cities, then the prosperous Suburbs. Here in Akron, Ellet tends to do a decent job of defending itself from recruiting efforts. But Firestone Park and Kenmore, not so much. A lot of potential talent in Firestone Park waiting to be recruited, believe me.
Old 02-09-17, 12:13 PM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Agreed but I live in a community with one of the best and most successful youth programs around in both football and basketball. Been very mediocre for years at the HS level. In just a few short years LeBrons kids are gonna be in HS, it will be sick to see the talent they draw from within and outside of the state. You gonna tell Coventry, Norton and Marlington to build their youth programs, work harder and get better coaching. I mean really is that gonna work for them?
Old 02-09-17, 12:30 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Maybe the public school guys here should be more worried about the quality of education that their districts provide. That alone keeps kids home - free vs up to $10k (at least for us guys who pay sticker).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-17, 01:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
Maybe the public school guys here should be more worried about the quality of education that their districts provide. That alone keeps kids home - free vs up to $10k (at least for us guys who pay sticker).

Yep, Danny Clark transferred from Columbus to Massillon for a better education, then to Hoban for yet a better education. That'll keep those superb athletes in your school, OK.
Old 02-09-17, 01:13 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
Yep, Danny Clark transferred from Columbus to Massillon for a better education, then to Hoban for yet a better education. That'll keep those superb athletes in your school, OK.

For the great, great majority of us it matters. Not many kids have a full scholarship "offer" to Ohio State to play football in their freshman year of high school.

Old 02-09-17, 01:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Agreed but I live in a community with one of the best and most successful youth programs around in both football and basketball. Been very mediocre for years at the HS level. In just a few short years LeBrons kids are gonna be in HS, it will be sick to see the talent they draw from within and outside of the state. You gonna tell Coventry, Norton and Marlington to build their youth programs, work harder and get better coaching. I mean really is that gonna work for them?
Improving youth programs are having some effect for Coventry I do believe. Still a lot of work to be done down here, obviously, but we have the resources for it, and I think the progress being made over the last 5 years is reflecting on the high school level. I don't think outside recruiting is too much of a problem here in Coventry, at least, that is not the problem keeping us down. We probably bring in more from Open Enrollment anyways, then lose to private schools. So, private school recruiting cannot be our excuse. Anyways that's our situation, I don't know about any of the other inner suburb districts.
Old 02-09-17, 02:13 PM
All American

Orangeman89
I love the bogus "quality of education" argument.
It's all about the student and the effort. Let's take any group of kids from an inner city Cleveland school, throw them in Hoban and watch them get smarter.
Academic opportunities are overblown.
Quality of environment might be a better argument.
Old 02-09-17, 02:25 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buchtalgriffs View Post
What do you call an 8th Grade player attending a Hoban basketball open gym which is what happened last fall? Did he just show up on his own?

Just cause not everyone he recruits does not enroll does not mean it doesn't happen. Just cause some of his players are c.y.o. does not mean they were not recruited. depending on how you define the term. Just cause your son wasnt recruited doesnt mean others aint.
Um that is normal. Are you saying that 8th graders attending open gyms is recruiting? Next you're going to tell me that basketball camps are recruiting, right? There are no districts to private schools, so you are saying ALL students are recruited then? Or are you just using that argument if a top athlete happens to choose a private over their home public?
Old 02-09-17, 02:34 PM
All Region

stoike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurgood75 View Post
Thats horse crap. The ACS coaches need to put more into the programs. Kids who take their craft serious (academics or athletics) want to go to a school and program that will help prepare them for the future. The kids are going to go where they think the have the best opportunity to succeed. When i'm at the various youth football games in the Akron area the privates have a presence and ACS coaches don't. It doesn't take much to show up to a youth football game with your schools shirt. The kids love that it makes em feel as if they are being recruited even though most never get spoken to besides hello or good game.

The publics need to step it up and stop looking for a handout. Coaches have to work with what you have and stop worrying about who is not there.

You wouldn't be saying that if the shoe was on the other foot. Frustrating seeing talent work it's way through your system only to have them jump ship right before joining your team.
Old 02-09-17, 03:14 PM
Junior Varsity

buchtalgriffs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Um that is normal. Are you saying that 8th graders attending open gyms is recruiting? Next you're going to tell me that basketball camps are recruiting, right? There are no districts to private schools, so you are saying ALL students are recruited then? Or are you just using that argument if a top athlete happens to choose a private over their home public?
from what i'm told it is not normal that non enrolled 8th Graders attend hobans open gyms but I'm willing to be educated on that. The basketball open gyms are for Hoban students planning to try out for the basketball team. someone invited the young man who happens to be one of the best 8th graders in the area. So...why was this one invited but not all the rest in the area???? And do you think anyone would have license to do so but the coaches??? you know what is going on - stop trying to deny it.

your arguments make no sense? I said nothing bout basketball camps or every student that attends. you said no recruiting goes on and i countered with a single example of where it clearly is going on. and we can be sure this is not isolated incident. where smoke there is fire.
Old 02-09-17, 04:13 PM
Junior Varsity

ksu315 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
from what i'm told it is not normal that non enrolled 8th Graders attend hobans open gyms but I'm willing to be educated on that. The basketball open gyms are for Hoban students planning to try out for the basketball team. someone invited the young man who happens to be one of the best 8th graders in the area. So...why was this one invited but not all the rest in the area???? And do you think anyone would have license to do so but the coaches??? you know what is going on - stop trying to deny it.

your arguments make no sense? I said nothing bout basketball camps or every student that attends. you said no recruiting goes on and i countered with a single example of where it clearly is going on. and we can be sure this is not isolated incident. where smoke there is fire.
I don't know legalities of it but said 8th grader is the relative of an existing player. and to my knowledge it was not an every time occurrence and there was not multiple 8th grade players there. So its very possible that TK had nothing to do with it. Where Hoban is at with OHSAA I highly doubt TK would do something that is a known violation.
Old 02-09-17, 04:26 PM
All Ohio

I heard rumors that the particular kid that Hoban got in trouble over wound up at St. Eds. Is that true?
Old 02-09-17, 04:28 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
It's all about the student and the effort. Let's take any group of kids from an inner city Cleveland school, throw them in Hoban and watch them get smarter.
I agree. And changing an environment is much easier said then done.
Old 02-09-17, 04:32 PM
Junior Varsity

ksu315 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
I heard rumors that the particular kid that Hoban got in trouble over wound up at St. Eds. Is that true?
yes. but football. had zero to do with basketball
Old 02-09-17, 10:06 PM
All Region

Hoban2019 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Yes. It was very disturbing about the situation.
Very disturbing? Inappropriate, yes. A coach spoke to an 8th grader, ostensibly to get him to come to his high school. It's not like this is gonna scar the kid for life.
Old 02-09-17, 10:07 PM
All Region

Hoban2019 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
I doubt TK would do anything that would violate OHSAA rules or do anything that could be a violation. He would actually self-report something unlike some of the Hoban administration. TK is liked around the coaching community. He might be the only head coach that people have respect for at Hoban. Why can't more people at Hoban be like him?
Agreed. TK is good people.

He must be the only person at the school that you speak fondly of.
Old 02-10-17, 08:18 AM
All District

KentuckyKlondikeBars is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
yep
Old 02-10-17, 08:20 AM
All District

KentuckyKlondikeBars is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

You do realize you spelt Buchtel wrong right?
Old 02-13-17, 12:21 PM
All Ohio

Thurgood75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Every elite basketball player in the area goes to those open gyms. They attend them at all of the area high schools. Anyone can play thats why its OPEN GYM but you normally have to get invited by a player from the school or a known area athlete. This has been going on since I was born so i'm not sure what the problem is.

Elite athletes at all levels rather its Youth, AAU, High School, or College are going to try to put themselves in the best programs that will position them for success. If you are a top law school candidate you don't turn down Harvard Law or any Ivy League School to go to the University of Akron just because its your hometown school. Elite athletes are always going to align themselves with winning programs. Kids don't train to go .500 and be mediocre.
Old 02-13-17, 12:25 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoike View Post
[/B]

You wouldn't be saying that if the shoe was on the other foot. Frustrating seeing talent work it's way through your system only to have them jump ship right before joining your team.
No I am a witness. I am 100% a public school supporter. But I have the opportunity to attend both and I am familiar with the process. You can't honestly tell me that the local privates at the moment are not putting out a better product than the area publics. The football played in the area right now is less than desirable. Who wants to play for teams that average 10-15 penalties a game, multiple blocked kicks, and no fundamentals.
Old 02-13-17, 12:59 PM
All Region

Quote:
No I am a witness. I am 100% a public school supporter. But I have the opportunity to attend both and I am familiar with the process. You can't honestly tell me that the local privates at the moment are not putting out a better product than the area publics. The football played in the area right now is less than desirable. Who wants to play for teams that average 10-15 penalties a game, multiple blocked kicks, and no fundamentals.
So the privates that usually have coaches that came from publics, did nothing at publics but now all of the sudden are world beaters as coaches didn't teach fundamentals until they got to privates? Is it easier to teach fundamentals to superb athletes or up and comers? If all law schools have the same opportunity to get these top law students then it is what it is. Unfortunately all publics can't go to 5 counties and get top athletes.
Old 02-13-17, 02:40 PM
Junior Varsity

buchtalgriffs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Every elite basketball player in the area goes to those open gyms. They attend them at all of the area high schools. Anyone can play thats why its OPEN GYM but you normally have to get invited by a player from the school or a known area athlete. This has been going on since I was born so i'm not sure what the problem is.

Elite athletes at all levels rather its Youth, AAU, High School, or College are going to try to put themselves in the best programs that will position them for success. If you are a top law school candidate you don't turn down Harvard Law or any Ivy League School to go to the University of Akron just because its your hometown school. Elite athletes are always going to align themselves with winning programs. Kids don't train to go .500 and be mediocre.
you dont know the rules if its open then it has to be open for everyone. There can be no individual invitations. i have an internet. From the OHS website:

10. Open Gymnasiums or Facilities Member Schools
10.1.6) No individual invitations, written or oral, are permitted.

not saying the kids are doing anything wrong. others said 'no recruiting going on', and i said b*?*s*?*. And my main point is that it kills the city programs while the private coaches get a free pass on recruiting. not saying its gonna stop Just admit its going on is all i ask
Old 02-14-17, 05:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
So the privates that usually have coaches that came from publics, did nothing at publics but now all of the sudden are world beaters as coaches didn't teach fundamentals until they got to privates? Is it easier to teach fundamentals to superb athletes or up and comers? If all law schools have the same opportunity to get these top law students then it is what it is. Unfortunately all publics can't go to 5 counties and get top athletes.
I agree so i'm baffled on what head coach went from a being the HC at a public to a HC at a private and had success? If so why was this person attractive to the powers that be at the private school?

The point is just focus on what you can control and put your best foot forward. If you build a culture in your program that kids want to be a part of it will be hard for them to leave.
Old 02-15-17, 12:37 AM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
10 and 10.1 also apply to the High School Weight rooms until Students are officially notified they are accepted into their Private school after February 15th. Clearly OHSAA Violations. Ross, Price & Moore will do nothing!!!
Old 02-17-17, 07:25 AM
All Region

linebacker05 is on a distinguished road
Ptc???

I believe someone said PTC would destroy city in track ? Are any PTC teams faster than buchtel? Most likely not. As for basketball why say PTC teams would smash most of the city? What 5 or 6 teams with about 4 of them struggling communities ? So we are mentioning this for PTC teams to finish second every year to Ellet or buchtel ? I mean let's be serious here. Let's not pound our chest here. So let's say this if Ellet or buchtel was in PTC league would any PTC team come out on top? Most likely not. So I don't get what all the chatter is about from the comet side of town. Don't tell me coventry would hang with Ellet on court , smh..., city is down but 2 to 3 teams would smash the ptc. So worry about your own average at best league lmao.
Old 02-17-17, 07:42 AM
All Region

CometsB&G is on a distinguished road
Summit County Top 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by linebacker05 View Post
I believe someone said PTC would destroy city in track ? Are any PTC teams faster than buchtel? Most likely not. As for basketball why say PTC teams would smash most of the city? What 5 or 6 teams with about 4 of them struggling communities ? So we are mentioning this for PTC teams to finish second every year to Ellet or buchtel ? I mean let's be serious here. Let's not pound our chest here. So let's say this if Ellet or buchtel was in PTC league would any PTC team come out on top? Most likely not. So I don't get what all the chatter is about from the comet side of town. Don't tell me coventry would hang with Ellet on court , smh..., city is down but 2 to 3 teams would smash the ptc. So worry about your own average at best league lmao.
With all do respect because this crap really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, Coventry made it to the Basketball district finals last year, Buchtel did not, below is last year Regional finals for the 100m, there isn't even a competitor in it from Buchtel, we sent 7 guys to state last year, in track it really isn't an argument, I never said we would dominate anything, I just think we could compete with the City, Orangemen and Big Worm know how to get me going and I don't know why I let it happen by always bashing Coventry, Just want some respect, we have sucked forever around Coventry and we are competing finally, we are not dominating anything, just competing, that is all I am saying

Finals
1 612 Dakari Carter 11 Streetsboro 10.50 2.9 10
2 838 George Hill 12 Hubbard 10.60 2.9 8
3 333 Demetri Keaton 11 Warrensville 10.89 2.9 5.50 10.889
3 108 Dusty Burkhart 11 Coventry 10.89 2.9 5.50 10.889
5 440 Tariq Drake 11 LaBrae 10.94 2.9 4
6 301 Malik Wooldridge 11 Akron Svsm 11.00 2.9 3 10.992
7 208 Dylan Henry 10 Gilmour Acad 11.00 2.9 2 10.994
8 358 Jordan Ard 11 Wickliffe 11.23 2.9 1

Last edited by CometsB&G; 02-17-17 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 10:16 AM
All Ohio

Agree with Comets BG. We are trying to build a culture of success down here in CHS. Now I suspect that some CHS athletes stroll onto the forums. And if the general vibe on these forums is that a place like Coventry will never amount to anything, then it might damage these players, and the culture of success we are trying to build. So we cannot allow the bashing to go on uncontested. As for ptc vs city track, Im more then prepared to argue for the ptc metro. thanks for biting. Streetsboro sprinting is more then sufficient to take out Buchtel. Field distance and throwing are also pretty tough. I could also confidently predict that the bottom of our league, in Cloverleaf, Norton, and Springfield, could easily take out the bottom of the city series in Garfield and Kenmore. Woodridge I believe was 3rd place at states last year. They won both boys and girls cross country, no city team could compete with Woodridge at distance. Even Firestone. And no city team could compete against either Coventry or Woodridge across the shear number of events we are good at. Even if Buchtel did get us in the sprints, our domination in the hurdles, distance, and field events would more then make up for it. Dont get me wrong, Buchtel and firestone do have some pretty respectable teams. For the city series. But track will have to go to the PTC metro, along with wrestling, cross country, bowling, and probably futbol. Thanks for biting. I know hs track as well as anyone.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-17, 10:28 AM
All Region

CometsB&G is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Agree with Comets BG. We are trying to build a culture of success down here in CHS. Now I suspect that some CHS athletes stroll onto the forums. And if the general vibe on these forums is that a place like Coventry will never amount to anything, then it might damage these players, and the culture of success we are trying to build. So we cannot allow the bashing to go on uncontested. As for ptc vs city track, Im more then prepared to argue for the ptc metro. thanks for biting. Streetsboro sprinting is more then sufficient to take out Buchtel. Field distance and throwing are also pretty tough. I could also confidently predict that the bottom of our league, in Cloverleaf, Norton, and Springfield, could easily take out the bottom of the city series in Garfield and Kenmore. Woodridge I believe was 3rd place at states last year. They won both boys and girls cross country, no city team could compete with Woodridge at distance. Even Firestone. And no city team could compete against either Coventry or Woodridge across the shear number of events we are good at. Even if Buchtel did get us in the sprints, our domination in the hurdles, distance, and field events would more then make up for it. Dont get me wrong, Buchtel and firestone do have some pretty respectable teams. For the city series. But track will have to go to the PTC metro, along with wrestling, cross country, bowling, and probably futbol. Thanks for biting. I know hs track as well as anyone.

Dam Coventrytrackxcguy throw some gas ⛽️ on the fire I'm trying to just get out of this mess you started all cause orangemen had to bash the PTC league & I bite just like he wanted, again I'm not saying we are good, I'm just saying we compete

Old 02-17-17, 10:37 AM
All Ohio

Its alright, this is a basketball thread lol. They will not care to much about track here. Ill concede and say city series as a whole is better. At least in all the main sports. But they shouldnt denigrate the top two or three in our league, who can compete.

Old 02-17-17, 11:09 AM
All Ohio

And u also must forgive me as I can come across as pretty fanatical. I graduated recently (CHS '15) and take classes at Akron. I still have many close friends as seniors at the high school. Still should probably tone down my trump-esque ways

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 02-17-17 at 11:21 AM.