Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-17-17, 07:42 AM
All Region

CometsB&G is on a distinguished road
Summit County Top 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by linebacker05 View Post
I believe someone said PTC would destroy city in track ? Are any PTC teams faster than buchtel? Most likely not. As for basketball why say PTC teams would smash most of the city? What 5 or 6 teams with about 4 of them struggling communities ? So we are mentioning this for PTC teams to finish second every year to Ellet or buchtel ? I mean let's be serious here. Let's not pound our chest here. So let's say this if Ellet or buchtel was in PTC league would any PTC team come out on top? Most likely not. So I don't get what all the chatter is about from the comet side of town. Don't tell me coventry would hang with Ellet on court , smh..., city is down but 2 to 3 teams would smash the ptc. So worry about your own average at best league lmao.
With all do respect because this crap really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, Coventry made it to the Basketball district finals last year, Buchtel did not, below is last year Regional finals for the 100m, there isn't even a competitor in it from Buchtel, we sent 7 guys to state last year, in track it really isn't an argument, I never said we would dominate anything, I just think we could compete with the City, Orangemen and Big Worm know how to get me going and I don't know why I let it happen by always bashing Coventry, Just want some respect, we have sucked forever around Coventry and we are competing finally, we are not dominating anything, just competing, that is all I am saying

Finals
1 612 Dakari Carter 11 Streetsboro 10.50 2.9 10
2 838 George Hill 12 Hubbard 10.60 2.9 8
3 333 Demetri Keaton 11 Warrensville 10.89 2.9 5.50 10.889
3 108 Dusty Burkhart 11 Coventry 10.89 2.9 5.50 10.889
5 440 Tariq Drake 11 LaBrae 10.94 2.9 4
6 301 Malik Wooldridge 11 Akron Svsm 11.00 2.9 3 10.992
7 208 Dylan Henry 10 Gilmour Acad 11.00 2.9 2 10.994
8 358 Jordan Ard 11 Wickliffe 11.23 2.9 1

Last edited by CometsB&G; 02-17-17 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 10:16 AM
All Region

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Agree with Comets BG. We are trying to build a culture of success down here in CHS. Now I suspect that some CHS athletes stroll onto the forums. And if the general vibe on these forums is that a place like Coventry will never amount to anything, then it might damage these players, and the culture of success we are trying to build. So we cannot allow the bashing to go on uncontested. As for ptc vs city track, Im more then prepared to argue for the ptc metro. thanks for biting. Streetsboro sprinting is more then sufficient to take out Buchtel. Field distance and throwing are also pretty tough. I could also confidently predict that the bottom of our league, in Cloverleaf, Norton, and Springfield, could easily take out the bottom of the city series in Garfield and Kenmore. Woodridge I believe was 3rd place at states last year. They won both boys and girls cross country, no city team could compete with Woodridge at distance. Even Firestone. And no city team could compete against either Coventry or Woodridge across the shear number of events we are good at. Even if Buchtel did get us in the sprints, our domination in the hurdles, distance, and field events would more then make up for it. Dont get me wrong, Buchtel and firestone do have some pretty respectable teams. For the city series. But track will have to go to the PTC metro, along with wrestling, cross country, bowling, and probably futbol. Thanks for biting. I know hs track as well as anyone.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-17, 10:28 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Agree with Comets BG. We are trying to build a culture of success down here in CHS. Now I suspect that some CHS athletes stroll onto the forums. And if the general vibe on these forums is that a place like Coventry will never amount to anything, then it might damage these players, and the culture of success we are trying to build. So we cannot allow the bashing to go on uncontested. As for ptc vs city track, Im more then prepared to argue for the ptc metro. thanks for biting. Streetsboro sprinting is more then sufficient to take out Buchtel. Field distance and throwing are also pretty tough. I could also confidently predict that the bottom of our league, in Cloverleaf, Norton, and Springfield, could easily take out the bottom of the city series in Garfield and Kenmore. Woodridge I believe was 3rd place at states last year. They won both boys and girls cross country, no city team could compete with Woodridge at distance. Even Firestone. And no city team could compete against either Coventry or Woodridge across the shear number of events we are good at. Even if Buchtel did get us in the sprints, our domination in the hurdles, distance, and field events would more then make up for it. Dont get me wrong, Buchtel and firestone do have some pretty respectable teams. For the city series. But track will have to go to the PTC metro, along with wrestling, cross country, bowling, and probably futbol. Thanks for biting. I know hs track as well as anyone.

Dam Coventrytrackxcguy throw some gas ⛽️ on the fire I'm trying to just get out of this mess you started all cause orangemen had to bash the PTC league & I bite just like he wanted, again I'm not saying we are good, I'm just saying we compete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-17, 10:37 AM
All Region

Its alright, this is a basketball thread lol. They will not care to much about track here. Ill concede and say city series as a whole is better. At least in all the main sports. But they shouldnt denigrate the top two or three in our league, who can compete.

Old 02-17-17, 11:09 AM
All Region

And u also must forgive me as I can come across as pretty fanatical. I graduated recently (CHS '15) and take classes at Akron. I still have many close friends as seniors at the high school. Still should probably tone down my trump-esque ways

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 02-17-17 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-18-17, 10:51 AM
Varsity

chemlab is on a distinguished road
Woodridge clinched the PTC crown last night. Been an absolutely dominant school year for Woodridge sports in the PTC. Football, Boys Soccer, Boys and Girls Cross, Basketball and Wrestling all won league championships and combined for 1 loss and 1 tie in league contests. You can throw 2 state championships into that mix as well.
Old 02-18-17, 10:57 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemlab View Post
Woodridge clinched the PTC crown last night. Been an absolutely dominant school year for Woodridge sports in the PTC. Football, Boys Soccer, Boys and Girls Cross, Basketball and Wrestling all won league championships and combined for 1 loss and 1 tie in league contests. You can throw 2 state championships into that mix as well.
Think Woodridge won Bowling as well.

Old 02-18-17, 11:03 AM
All Region

Congrats to Woodridge. A very solid athletic program there. You set the standard for the entire league to follow. We have had some great games with your teams. I have nothing less then the utmost respect for your teams. I will now look forward to seeing you guys out on the track this spring. Great season, and good luck this post season.

Old 02-18-17, 11:09 AM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
IMO, Coventry is following the same path as Woodridge in developing their sports programs; which is a good model to follow. Build a solid middle school foundation, put some winning seasons together to build a winning attitude, get some conference titles under your belt, develop an expectation to win, then step up in class in competition to build some post season success. I'm not sure Woodridge is ready to make noise on a statewide basis in football or basketball just yet, but they are building toward that goal. As is Coventry. And the best way to maintain that ongoing success for school systems like Woodridge and like Coventry is to build through youth sports. You know, all the talk on these threads is about the competitive advantages built into the system for private schools. But the public schools who have sustained success are the ones who maximize the advantages they have over the private schools; most significant being the fact they have these kids in their programs from K-12! Successful HS programs give these youth participants a reason to stay.
Old 02-18-17, 11:14 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
IMO, Coventry is following the same path as Woodridge in developing their sports programs; which is a good model to follow. Build a solid middle school foundation, put some winning seasons together to build a winning attitude, get some conference titles under your belt, develop an expectation to win, then step up in class in competition to build some post season success. I'm not sure Woodridge is ready to make noise on a statewide basis in football or basketball just yet, but they are building toward that goal. As is Coventry. And the best way to maintain that ongoing success for school systems like Woodridge and like Coventry is to build through youth sports. You know, all the talk on these threads is about the competitive advantages built into the system for private schools. But the public schools who have sustained success are the ones who maximize the advantages they have over the private schools; most significant being the fact they have these kids in their programs from K-12! Successful HS programs give these youth participants a reason to stay.

Well said, Woodridge has done very well, 1 point separated the league champ this year, we shared the track title last year & should be fun again this year, congrats Woodridge

Old 02-18-17, 12:13 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Most of what you say is true, the problem with Coventry is at the youth level. Their youth football and basketball is a trainwreck. I couldn't get my kid out of there fast enough.
I'm close with two people currently on the football board and it's ugly. The coaching and leadership stinks. Fixing that is where you start.
Kresowaty was the only youth coach worth a damn.
Old 02-18-17, 12:23 PM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Most of what you say is true, the problem with Coventry is at the youth level. Their youth football and basketball is a trainwreck. I couldn't get my kid out of there fast enough.
I'm close with two people currently on the football board and it's ugly. The coaching and leadership stinks. Fixing that is where you start.
You clearly are more in the know there than I. And if what you say is true, then that should be the FIRST order of business to be addressed.
Old 02-18-17, 12:47 PM
All Region

Quote:
You clearly are more in the know there than I. And if what you say is true, then that should be the FIRST order of business to be addressed.

It's not true, many have enjoyed good years in our youth programs, we have won many championships in many sports, they have had few financial issues as a lot of programs have & they have corrected, I'm not in youth anymore but the 7th grade won the PTC over Woodridge this week & they are all 1st year kids out of youth, everyone is entitled to their opinion but I would strongly disagree, some of my kids best memories & friendships where built there

Old 02-18-17, 01:01 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Quote:
Perhaps you are right...we may need some housecleaning. Drain the swamp...Make Coventry great again. Where to begin...is the new AD somebody who can make necessary changes? I personally am a big fan of AD Danny Savage, as a Track and Cross Country guy. Curious how the other main sports people feel about his leadership. We need some outsiders without prior ties to the system, someone who can bring fresh ideas, fresh perspective. Danny Savage came from Hoover, taught Chemistry, became Track coach, revolutionized that team. DiFalco is one of Dambrot and Dru's Ilk, sounds like a good man to have coaching the Basketball team. Comets B&G, how much influence do these people have on the youth teams?

Edit; what do I know, I should just stick to what I know, and that is Cross Country and Track. Speaking of youth programs..... Hmmm. I wonder if a youth program could be established for those sports too... I better look into that. I know this is basketball forum, but I would love to have a state caliber cross country and track team.

Edit... Or perhaps B&G is right, and the system has improved in recent years. That could explain things, it seems like there is a lot more athleticism in the classes that came after my class of 2015 (with my class being the vanguard with Zack Lake), then the classes that came before.
Old 02-18-17, 01:32 PM
All Region

Quote:
Perhaps you are right...we may need some housecleaning. Drain the swamp...Make Coventry great again. Where to begin...is the new AD somebody who can make necessary changes? I personally am a big fan of AD Danny Savage, as a Track and Cross Country guy. Curious how the other main sports people feel about his leadership. We need some outsiders without prior ties to the system, someone who can bring fresh ideas, fresh perspective. Danny Savage came from Hoover, taught Chemistry, became Track coach, revolutionized that team. DiFalco is one of Dambrot and Dru's Ilk, sounds like a good man to have coaching the Basketball team. Comets B&G, how much influence do these people have on the youth teams?

Edit; what do I know, I should just stick to what I know, and that is Cross Country and Track. Speaking of youth programs..... Hmmm. I wonder if a youth program could be established for those sports too... I better look into that. I know this is basketball forum, but I would love to have a state caliber cross country and track team.

Edit... Or perhaps B&G is right, and the system has improved in recent years. That could explain things, it seems like there is a lot more athleticism in the classes that came after my class of 2015 (with my class being the vanguard with Zack Lake), then the classes that came before.

There has been one of the strongest travel softball programs built in Coventry in Fury Fastpitch, a couple teachers/ volleyball coaches have started youth program for volleyball, I'm old but I see Coventry competing well over at least the next 5 years. Football, baseball & girls basketball is behind & needs improvement

Old 02-18-17, 01:47 PM
All Region

I'm just concerned most about wrestling situation. All I know is our wrestling team finished last at PTC's this year. A complete embarrassment for a team that was once a perennial state contender 20 years ago. Would love to see that rebuilt.

Edit: I know this is Basketball forum, not other sports forum, but all the programs are connected in that successful program contributes to school culture of success. Which benefits other sports.
Old 02-18-17, 01:51 PM
All Region

Quote:
I'm just concerned most about wrestling situation. All I know is our wrestling team finished last at PTC's this year. A complete embarrassment for a team that was once a perennial state contender 20 years ago. Would love to see that rebuilt.

School handled that situation poorly, Shinn had varsity, JV & took any athlete that just wanted to workout to get better for other sports, we was always stronger than our competitors with Shinn, he is still doing great things for the kids that are willing to train with him on their own

Old 02-18-17, 01:53 PM
All Region

Summit County Top 10

I would also say Zach was a great athlete, Hargrove may do special things at Pitt, unique size, was at game last night, looked about 6'7" 310 with no gut

And to get this back on summit top 10

1 St V
2 Hoban
3 Copley
4 Ellet
5 Coventry
6 Woodridge
7 Buchtel
8 Stow
9 Tallmadge
10 Kenmore

Last edited by CometsB&G; 02-18-17 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 02:06 PM
All Region

Zack is already doing great things for Broadus. Knew him well personally, as a fellow class of 2015 track guy. Tremendous class, work ethic, and respect for everyone. Was a great class we had. Zack, Bryce, Trevor Burkhart, Will Morisak, Andre Martin, Luke Bedford, Devon Jones, Mickey Duvall. Was proud to have been on a team with these tremendous athletes, and classy individuals. Our class with those guys, had special significance of being the class that made the track team great. But yeah, back on track.
Old 02-18-17, 02:12 PM
All Region

I would probably move Buchtel up ahead of Coventry and Woodridge for the time being...Young squad will need to prove themselves over them in postseason.

Edit..dont get me wrong, it wouldn't be that huge of an upset if we beat Buchtel, but Id say they are favored. I'd give Buchtel a 75% chance of winning. And I'd give Coventry a 75-80% chance of beating Kenmore. Nate Silver had the chances of Hillary Clinton winning an election at 70-75%. Yeah.
Old 02-18-17, 07:18 PM
All Region

stoike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometsB&G View Post
I would also say Zach was a great athlete, Hargrove may do special things at Pitt, unique size, was at game last night, looked about 6'7" 310 with no gut

And to get this back on summit top 10

1 St V
2 Hoban
3 Copley
4 Ellet
5 Coventry
6 Woodridge
7 Buchtel
8 Stow
9 Tallmadge
10 Kenmore

You can't put Buchtel in front of Stow. Stow has the better record and beat them in January.

Coventry is rather iffy too. Copley might be underrated.
Old 02-18-17, 10:17 PM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
lol Coventry... we go through this every year...
Old 02-18-17, 10:24 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
lol Coventry... we go through this every year...
Well see. Satisfied with last year, got as far as we could, but well see what happens. Hoping we can give some good games. Best of luck to Ellet, think youll get past districts this year? I'll be pulling for the Orangemen.