Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-26-17, 11:42 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma77 View Post
That type of score is definitely not politically correct these days.
The Cleveland Press criticized Coach Belich for applying a full-court press well into the second half. Solon had started out playing half-court zone and they fell behind and actually trailed late in the first quarter. Belich used a time-out to change to a press. In the last two minutes of the opening period, Solon erased the deficit and built a 22-12 lead. By then, the rout was on. Solon outscored Aurora something like 36-5 in the second period.

Milan Belich went on to become the AP Division 1 Player of the Year, which was the closest thing back then to what "Mr. Basketball" is today. He averaged over 30 points per game his senior year. He played at Clemson University but died tragically in '84 or '85 when the car he was driving slid into a lake.

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-27-17 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-28-17, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

Solon beat Shaker Heights, 66-63 last night on Trent Williams' three point shot from the wing with one second left. The Comets improved to 12-4 on the season and 5-4 in Greater Cleveland Conference play. I'm not sure of Shaker's record. I believe the Red Raiders are 8-8.

The winning basket was set up by a great feed from sophomore Michael Bekelja, who dribbled from one basket to the opposite key, blowing right past several Raider defenders. Bekelja flicked the ball to Williams, who was all alone to the right of the circle.

Solon overcame a poor start to earn last night's road triumph. The Comets were outscored, 35-22 in the first two periods and looked listless in comparison to Shaker, which played inspired ball in the first half.

The Comets got their mojo working in the third period, outscoring Shaker, 24-11 for a 46-all tie heading into the fourth. Junior guard Sincere Carry basically willed Solon's comeback with a tremendous second-half performance. Penetrating the lane, hitting layups, getting fouled and converting, or stopping and popping threes; Sincere brought the Comets back on a night when no one else was scoring much. I believe Carry finished with 25 points.

Williams opened the fourth period with a triple to give Solon its first lead. The lead kept changing hands in the fourth period. Neither team ever led by more than three. Williams hit another three in the final quarter, one in which he tallied nine of his 11 points.

Shaker looked much better than they did in December, when the Comets rolled them. The Raiders have some talented kids, most of whom are underclassmen. They're becoming a really good team.

Solon reversed fortunes in the second half by playing aggressively on offense. The Comets drove the lane and kept getting fouled. Though total fouls were about even for each team, Solon went to the line more than Shaker because the Raiders committed shooting fouls. Sophomores Nick Close and David Marbury were huge in Solon's comeback, because they hit key free throws when the Comets still trailed. They helped make Sincere's and Trent's heroics possible.

Solon's got an important week ahead. Brunswick at home Tuesday and Mentor at home on Friday. I hope Comet Nation turns out to support this team. They deserve it.
Old 02-02-17, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. Solon dropped to 5-5 in Greater Cleveland Conference play with Tuesday's 64-58 loss to Brunswick. It was a frustrating, disappointing defeat, because the Comets had victory in their grasp and let it slip away. Solon had a 58-53 lead with just over four minutes remaining. The Comets had trailed most of the game but rallied with fury in the fourth quarter to grab their five point lead. Solon had taken momentum with an aggressive full-court press defense and offensive penetration, mixed in with some timely wide-open outside shots.

Unfortunately, the Comets decided to play stall-ball with a five point lead, and they never scored again. Solon threw the ball away a couple of times, missed two key layups and passed up too many open shots. The Comets lost their aggressiveness, lost their mojo, and lost the game. The Comets killed their own momentum by taking the air out of the ball.

Sincere Carry played a super game, with 20 points and his usual great defense and ball-handling. Michael Bekelja tallied 13 and Ryan Bergen added 12. Bergen had a great night on the boards, pulling down one key rebound after another. David Gulley had seven points and David Marbury added six. Marbury also played outstanding defense on the press.

Those five were the only Comets to score. A few of the other guys just had off-nights shooting the ball.

The "crowd" at Tuesday night's game was downright shameful. I've seen bigger crowds loitering on street corners. And it pains me to say this, but Brunswick had more fans in attendance than Solon did. And the Comets were the home team.

The Comets are home to arch-rival Mentor Friday night. Just in case any of you care.
Old 02-02-17, 12:15 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
I wonder what Solon's strategy for the game against Mentor will be. I know that they missed some free throws down the stretch and were worn down by Mentor's size.

If Solon is going to win that game, they have to knock down long range shots to compensate for their height disadvantage. Mentor is a big team that can grab boards at will. And Tuesday games don't really draw that well. Friday's will be big though.
Old 02-02-17, 12:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
I wonder what Solon's strategy for the game against Mentor will be. I know that they missed some free throws down the stretch and were worn down by Mentor's size.

If Solon is going to win that game, they have to knock down long range shots to compensate for their height disadvantage. Mentor is a big team that can grab boards at will. And Tuesday games don't really draw that well. Friday's will be big though.
Attendance has been on the decline at Solon in every sport for the last several years. I don't think any particular night of the week matters. I guess there aren't many regulars like me left. Nowadays, people watch their kids play religiously. But as soon as the kid graduates, they're never seen again. They don't become Solon fans, like they once did. Time was when those parents would keep coming after their kids were gone. But that's all in the past, I guess.

Regarding strategy vs. Mentor, Solon usually tries to beat Mentor at its own game: outrun, out-quick, out-shoot 'em. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 02-03-17, 09:21 PM
All Ohio

Enigma77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Solon 75
Mentor 73

What a game. Solon is so scrappy.
Old 02-04-17, 12:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma77 View Post
Solon 75
Mentor 73

What a game. Solon is so scrappy.
Both teams were scrappy last night. It was really an exciting game between two evenly-matched teams. Solon pulled out the win on Sincere Carry's running floater that found net with three seconds left. The Comets got the ball with just under a minute left. Carry dribbled above the key until a lane opened, and he chose to drive the net instead of dishing the ball off.

Solon improved to 13-5 overall; 6-5 in Greater Cleveland Conference play. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Mentor is now 14-4 overall; 8-3 in the GCC.

The Comets jumped out to an early 12-0 lead, which seemed too good to be true, and it was. By the middle of the second period, Mentor had fought back to tie. From that point, the game was a back-and-forth affair. I believe that neither team led by more than six from that point on.

Both teams did what they do best; pressing, running, driving and popping threes. Carry had his usual outstanding all-around game: 23 points and great defense on the press. David Gulley had perhaps the best game of his career, with 21 points and quick hands on defense. Ryan Bergen had nine points and Michael Bekelja added eight.

The Korsok kid from Mentor was tremendous (I can't remember his first name). He had 20 points and played great D on the open floor for the Cards. Tadas Tatarunas had 12 points and was big on the boards for Mentor. Big man Xavier Cheek (6-9) had 10 points in limited minutes and I was glad he didn't play more, because he's a tough matchup for the Comets.

It was nice to see cardzfan1234 and MentorGrad02 again. I wouldn't be surprised if Solon and Mentor cross paths again at the Euclid district.
Old 02-04-17, 02:21 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Good game and a great win for Solon. The GCC is incredibly competitive this year. Good to see you yesterday!

Teams like Cleveland Heights, Glenville, and Brush might have something to say about it - but I hope that was a preview of the district final. Euclid will be a battle this year. Mentor didn't do themselves any favors in seeding by dropping last night's game. With a win last night, I would have felt pretty confident in the top overall seed. We shall see how the seeds end up and where coaches place themselves. I hope Mentor and Solon are on the opposite side of the bracket.
Old 02-04-17, 03:54 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Good to see you again Meta. That was one of the better high school basketball games I've seen in the last 5 years. Hope it happens again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-17, 12:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Good game and a great win for Solon. The GCC is incredibly competitive this year. Good to see you yesterday!

Teams like Cleveland Heights, Glenville, and Brush might have something to say about it - but I hope that was a preview of the district final. Euclid will be a battle this year. Mentor didn't do themselves any favors in seeding by dropping last night's game. With a win last night, I would have felt pretty confident in the top overall seed. We shall see how the seeds end up and where coaches place themselves. I hope Mentor and Solon are on the opposite side of the bracket.

Euclid appears to be wide-open this year. I, too, hope Solon and Mentor are on opposite sides of the bracket, so they can meet in the final. It would be an exciting game between two well-matched teams. It just remains to be seen how much love Heights gets for its schedule and Brush gets from the other WRC coaches.
Old 02-07-17, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

Solon visits Euclid Friday and Cleveland St. Ignatius on Saturday. The Comets struggled vs. Euclid last month before rallying late for a 63-51 victory. The Wildcats are ranked #1 in the latest PD poll. St. Ignatius is tall and talented and they beat the Comets at last year's Cleveland State regional. Comet Coach Tony DeCesare is a St. Ignatius alumnus. A Solon win over the Wildcats would be absolutely huge, not just for the boost Solon would get in the rankings. It would also be a major confidence-booster for a talented young team with designs on big things in their future.
Old 02-07-17, 01:24 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
I wonder where Solon will end up ranked in the Euclid District. Their shooting has definitely carried them this season and led to some pretty impressive victories.

They're gonna be a threat no matter where they're ranked. Matter of fact, the GCC is pretty impressive from top to middle this year.
Old 02-07-17, 03:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
I wonder where Solon will end up ranked in the Euclid District. Their shooting has definitely carried them this season and led to some pretty impressive victories.

They're gonna be a threat no matter where they're ranked. Matter of fact, the GCC is pretty impressive from top to middle this year.
I could see Solon being seeded as high as 2 and as low as 5. The gap between the top teams looks very minuscule on paper. All have a similar record. Schedule strength will be brought up.

As for the GCC, I could see a lot of these teams being tough outs in districts. Medina and Brunswick will be tough at Copley. Mentor and Solon are right there with anyone at Euclid. Elyria will be a favorite to make the final against Lorain. Even Shaker could make a run to the district semifinal or further as the Solon district is a bit down.
Old 02-13-17, 12:45 PM
All Yappi

I'm so sorry that I've been away from the computer for a few days. Solon played two games this past weekend. By now, most of you know the results. But since both games were roadies, few know any of the details. I'll try to fill in the blanks.

The Comets narrowly avoided an upset at Euclid Friday night. Solon trailed the Panthers by 19 points midway through the third period, before mounting a spirited comeback to win, 85-81. I'm still trying to figure out how Euclid hasn't won more games. Against Solon, they haven't looked like a bad team at all. The Panthers blitzed the Comets with 54 first-half points. It was like watching an NBA game. The Comets ran, Euclid ran some more, and the Panthers just couldn't miss. Everything they shot went in. Euclid's freshman guard, Garvin Clarke was amazing. He tallied 26 points before halftime. He finished with 32.

The Comets fell even farther behind in the third period. But about midway through the third, something clicked for Solon. Because the Comets were so far behind, they picked up their pace, both offensively and defensively. They attacked the basket. They attacked Euclid's ballhandlers. When Solon began playing at warp speed, the Comets played better. And Euclid melted away. The Panthers began playing out-of-control. They started throwing the ball away. A lot. They fouled and fouled some more. Solon kept going to the foul line, and the Comets kept hitting.

Solon melted the 19-point deficit and tied it, 66-all, late in the third. The Comets then fell behind by 11 again before going on the late scoring binge that gave them the lead. A Jason Steele steal and layup put Solon ahead with just over a minute to go. Garvin Clarke's layup was whistled off for charging (Euclid committed seven or eight charges Friday). Michael Bekelja made it 83-81 with a free throw with 19 seconds left. After a Panther miss, Steele iced it with two more free throws. Solon held Euclid to 27 points in the second half.

Sincere Carry had 25, if I remember. Steele had 16 or 17. Bekelja had 14 or 15. All played well. So, too, did David Marbury, who was a defensive demon on the press.

Last edited by Metacomet; 02-13-17 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-13-17, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

Saturday, Solon played well but fell to St. Ignatius, 90-80. It was the Comets' first ever visit to Sullivan Gymnasium.

The Comets led after one quarter and for awhile, the Wildcats looked uncomfortable playing at Solon's frenzied pace. But St. Ignatius settled down. The Cats leaned on their big men, 6-7 Matt Davet and 6-8 Austen Yarian, who led the Ignatius offense by combining for 57 points. Because the Comets are so small, they're vulnerable to opponents with big men who can score. The Cats' big guys can do that, and more. They surprised me with their ballhandling ability in the open court.

St. Ignatius gradually pulled away, leading by 14 midway through the third. But Solon again rallied late. Sincere Carry led a comeback charge that enabled the Comets to get within four points of the Cats with three minutes left. It looked as if they might pull out another late win. But Ignatius clinched it at the foul line.

Sincere played the best game of his career. At least of those games I've seen in person. He scored 38 points on the Plain Dealer's top ranked local team. Michael Bekelja had 11, I believe, and Trent Williams had nine or 10.

Solon wasn't awed by the surroundings and they certainly weren't intimidated by St. Ignatius. The Cats are still a better team than the Comets, for now, because they are taller and more experienced. But if Solon played them on the right night, they're capable of beating the Cats. And I hope the Comets schedule St. Ignatius next year, because it might be the Comets who have the upper hand.

I enjoyed the visit to Sullivan Gym, by the way. It has a nice, intimate atmosphere.

Last edited by Metacomet; 02-14-17 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-13-17, 04:09 PM
All American

bluengold
Metacomet,

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Sullivan Gym. Solon has a good team and considering their youth (4 juniors and 8 sophomores), they should be one of the top teams in NE Ohio next year. Sincere Carry played a tremendous game.

For this year, their opportunity to beat Ignatius would have been last Saturday night.
The Wildcats clearly had tired legs and were flat after their overtime win at St. Edward the night before. Lot of shots were short, their defensive effort and intensity was clearly lacking (as compared to many other games I have seen them play this season), mental focus not there – clearly signs of a tired team. I thought coach DeCesare had a really good game plan – keep pushing and pushing the ball quickly on offensive and swarm Davet and Yarian when they had the ball down low. Ultimately though, the Comets themselves tired out with their fast pace – note the # of short shots and air balls, even by Carry – and as evidenced by the scores in the 2nd quarter (Cats 27 – Comets 16) and 4th quarter (Cats 27 – Comets 22), especially the differentials in the last 3-4 minutes of those quarters.

The same happened to the Wildcats vs. North Canton Hoover after the first overtime win vs. St. Ed’s last month – the Cats were lethargic and soundly beaten. It would not have surprised me if Solon would had won if the game was a home game for the Comets.

If both are fortunate to play each other again in the regionals, I would expect Ignatius to have a bigger margin of victory. The Wildcats would play their typical style of defense and the size and talent of Davet and Yarian, inside and outside, would be too much to overcome.

Next year though, the Comets will be a force with Carry as a senior. They just need one or two guys with 6’5” height. Any in the system?
Old 02-14-17, 11:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold View Post
Metacomet,

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Sullivan Gym. Solon has a good team and considering their youth (4 juniors and 8 sophomores), they should be one of the top teams in NE Ohio next year. Sincere Carry played a tremendous game.

For this year, their opportunity to beat Ignatius would have been last Saturday night.
The Wildcats clearly had tired legs and were flat after their overtime win at St. Edward the night before. Lot of shots were short, their defensive effort and intensity was clearly lacking (as compared to many other games I have seen them play this season), mental focus not there – clearly signs of a tired team. I thought coach DeCesare had a really good game plan – keep pushing and pushing the ball quickly on offensive and swarm Davet and Yarian when they had the ball down low. Ultimately though, the Comets themselves tired out with their fast pace – note the # of short shots and air balls, even by Carry – and as evidenced by the scores in the 2nd quarter (Cats 27 – Comets 16) and 4th quarter (Cats 27 – Comets 22), especially the differentials in the last 3-4 minutes of those quarters.

The same happened to the Wildcats vs. North Canton Hoover after the first overtime win vs. St. Ed’s last month – the Cats were lethargic and soundly beaten. It would not have surprised me if Solon would had won if the game was a home game for the Comets.

If both are fortunate to play each other again in the regionals, I would expect Ignatius to have a bigger margin of victory. The Wildcats would play their typical style of defense and the size and talent of Davet and Yarian, inside and outside, would be too much to overcome.

Next year though, the Comets will be a force with Carry as a senior. They just need one or two guys with 6’5” height. Any in the system?
Solon doesn't have much height in the system. There's a 6-2 kid on the freshman team. And there's a 6-3 eighth-grader who, I've heard, is going to be good, but I'll be surprised if he'll be ready to help next year's varsity. Nate Leskovic, a sophomore who is listed at 6-1, is a reserve who sees a lot of varsity action. He's probably 6-2 right now. I'm not sure why he's listed at 6-1. He's 6-2 on the football roster.

So, Solon will be really good next year. But they'll still give away height to every opponent. The Comets have been smaller than every opponent this year.

As to how Solon and St. Ignatius would match up later this year: I hope we all get the chance to find out. That would mean both teams reach the Sweet 16.

Last edited by Metacomet; 02-21-17 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-14-17, 04:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Solon doesn't have much height in the system. There's a 6-2 kid on the freshman team. And there's a 6-3 eighth-grader whom, I've heard, is going to be good, but I'll be surprised if he'll be ready to help next year's varsity. Nate Leskovic, a sophomore who is listed at 6-1, is a reserve who sees a lot of varsity action. He's probably 6-2 right now. I'm not sure why he's listed at 6-1. He's 6-2 on the football roster.

So, Solon will be really good next year. But they'll still give away height to every opponent. The Comets have been smaller than every opponent this year.

As to how Solon and St. Ignatius would match up later this year: I hope we all get the chance to find out. That would mean both teams reach the Sweet 16.
I also thought David Marbury looked at least 2-3 inches taller than listed on the roster. He was matching up with Mentor's 6'9 Xavier Cheek at times. He did not look 8 or 9 inches smaller than Cheek. I think Solon's coach likes underselling his height on paper.
Old 02-15-17, 02:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I also thought David Marbury looked at least 2-3 inches taller than listed on the roster. He was matching up with Mentor's 6'9 Xavier Cheek at times. He did not look 8 or 9 inches smaller than Cheek. I think Solon's coach likes underselling his height on paper.
Marbury is listed at 6-foot in basketball, 6-1 in football. He's every bit of 6-1, and maybe closer to 6-2. If our coach is underselling our players' height, he wouldn't be the first. Maybe he's looking for sympathy - The Poor Little Comets.
Old 02-15-17, 02:46 PM
All Yappi

cardz - Do you know the current league standings? I've lost track.
Old 02-15-17, 04:50 PM
All Yappi

Elyria (9-2)...at Mentor, home vs Shaker, at Solon
Medina (9-3)...at Shaker, home vs Mentor
Mentor (9-3)...home vs Elyria, at Medina
Brunswick (8-4)...home vs Euclid, at Shaker
Solon (7-5)..at Strongsville, home vs Elyria

Solon is in 5th place. That is a great sign of how good this league is. The Comets are a good team that can go toe to toe with most of the top teams in the state.
Old 02-15-17, 04:58 PM
All Ohio

Enigma77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Solon is in 5th place. That is a great sign of how good this league is. The Comets are a good team that can go toe to toe with most of the top teams in the state.
Tough league this year from top to bottom. Agree all of these teams listed can beat anyone on any given night. The tournament should be very exciting.
Old 02-16-17, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Solon will probably finish fifth. Or tied for fourth, in a best-case scenario. I'd love to ruin Elyria's championship plans. I'm sure Mentor would like that, too.
Old 02-16-17, 02:23 PM
Junior Varsity

TribeBuckeyeFan is on a distinguished road
It's going to be tough for Elyria to win it, no doubt about it. Strongsville played us very strong two nights ago. We ended up winning in OT with 1.3 on the clock, and their last second heave went off the front of the rim; another 4-6 inches and we were on our way to a 2nd OT. Two road games against Mentor and Solon are far from certain wins, that's for sure. I've been pleasantly surprised with Elyria this year, esp. after losing Furcron to graduation. We don't have one main guy, but our starters and first 3 off the bench are indeed a very good rotation.
Old 02-18-17, 10:42 AM
All Yappi

Solon looked solid last night, as the Comets romped over Strongsville, 93-63. Solon improved to 15-6 overall; 8-5 in GCC play. The Mustangs fell to 4-16 overall. The Comets never trailed in this one, scoring the first four points, then building the lead gradually. Strongsville made a couple of runs to hang close with the Comets for awhile; once getting back to within six points early in the third period. At that point, the Comets put their run-and-gun game into overdrive and put the Mustangs in their rear-view mirror. Solon's fast pace just wore Strongsville down.

Sincere Carry led Solon with 22 points and played his usual great defense and floor game. Michael Bekelja had a terrific game, with 17 points and great D and ballhandling. Michael hit five three-pointers. Jason Steele had 14 points; David Marbury had 12; Trent Williams had 11, and Ryan Bergen had 10. It was great to see Bergen stroking from beyond the arc again. He hadn't been taking many outside shots lately. Marbury excelled on defense. I seem to say that after every game. He's really an outstanding defender, and he's becoming one of my favorite players. Marbury is all-out, all the time.

Junior center Shaun Csire led Strongsville with 20 points. Omari Peek tallied 11 and Bernie McGivern added nine. Peek is the kid who became eligible at mid-season. All three of those guys are juniors, and they give Strongsville a nice nucleus for next year.

The Mustangs have some talent. They've got some good athletes; some height and some shooters. But something is missing there. That team should be better than it is.

Solon hosts Elyria next Friday. Regular season finale, folks.

Last edited by Metacomet; 02-20-17 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-18-17, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

Just a reminder - Solon begins play in the Euclid sectional tournament on March 4 at 2 p.m., when the Comets host the winner of the Painesville Riverside/Willoughby South first-round match.

If the Comets win that one, they will advance to the district semifinal at Euclid, with Cleveland Heights as the likely opponent.
Old 02-20-17, 12:39 PM
All Yappi

Another reminder - Friday's homer with Elyria is Senior Night. But let's be real here. Since Solon has only one senior, let's tell it like it is: Friday is Jason Steele Night! Jason, you're about to be the guest of honor at one grand celebration. This is your night!!!
Old 02-25-17, 11:29 AM
All Yappi

Very disappointing loss last night. Solon let a 17-point lead slip away and lost to Elyria, 76-73, in overtime. The Comets had never trailed in regulation and had chances to win late in both regulation and OT, but couldn't convert when it counted. Solon finished its regular season at 15-7; 8-6 in Greater Cleveland Conference play, good for a fifth place finish.

Elyria clinched a share of the GCC title with last night's triumph. The Pioneers did it before the largest crowd all season at Solon's gym. Their fans celebrated like they'd won the world championship. Elyria finished 11-3 in the GCC, which earned the Pioneers a tie for the title with Mentor. They stand 18-4 overall.

Solon started off hot last night. Early on, it appeared that the Comets would run Elyria out of the gym. Solon led, 27-13 after one period and soon after, went up by 17, at 30-13. Michael Bekelja, Ryan Bergen and Jason Steele all bombed threes seemingly at will.

Elyria had chipped the margin to 42-29 at haltime. By the end of the third period, Solon's lead was down to 58-49.

By the fourth period, Solon was hanging on for dear life. The Comets went ice-cold from the outside, except for Bergen. Sincere Carry kept driving the lane and kept getting rejected by Elyria's tall inside men, Justin Koepp and Josh Lotko. Anthony Blanton, the Pioneers' outstanding guard, had beaucoup success scoring both inside and outside.

Solon kept the lead into the final minute. The score was 66-64 when Carry went to the line with about 20 second left. Two free throws probably would have clinched a Comet win. But Sincere missed the front end, and Elyria tied it moments later.

Carry had a chance to win it in overtime. Solon trailed by one and had the ball for the last shot. Sincere drove the lane and put up a shot that was rejected by one of Elyria's big men. An Elyria player picked up the ball and drove for a layup at the buzzer to give the Pioneers the three point win.

The Comets played their hearts out. Solon shortened its bench last night. I thought our guys looked gassed in the fourth period and OT. It was Sincere, Bergen, Bekelja, Gulley and Steele for just about that whole stretch. David Marbury played less than he normally does. Trent Williams only played a few minutes and Nate Leskovec didn't play at all.

I also thought that Solon should have called a time out late in OT to set up a final play. The Comets had been having no luck driving on Elyria's big men. Something should have been set up to get the ball out on the wing, preferably to Bergen, who'd had the hot hand all night.

Bergen led Solon with 18 points. He kept Solon in the lead for most of the second half when everyone else cooled. He also had a huge night on the boards, out-fighting Elyria's taller frontcourt for rebounds all game long. Steele and Gulley each had 14. Bekelja had 13, all in the first half. Sincere had 10. Carry played great defense and piled up the assists, but his shooting was off.

Blanton had 26 to lead Elyria. He's one of the best players in the league. Very impressive. Koepp added 13.

Solon takes a week off, then begins sectional play on March 4, with a Saturday afternoon home tilt with the winner of the Willoughby South-Painesville Riverside match.
Old 02-27-17, 05:54 AM
Junior Varsity

TribeBuckeyeFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Their fans celebrated like they'd won the world championship.
It WAS a very big win for us, considering we had very questionable officiating in our last game against Mentor (loss) and in this game as well. Even the scorekeeper was messing up against us when he was supposed to hit the buzzer to stop play when Blanton (Antonio, BTW, not Anthony) scored his 1000th career point.

That being said, I honestly did not think our boys had it in them to pull out another win like that after the way they played in the first half. They have done that numerous times this season, and it looked to me like Solon really had their number this time around. Our defense got their act together in the 2nd half and just kept fighting.

I think Elyria will be down next year, and Solon is going to be way, way up. If they do not challenge for the conference crown, I'll be shocked, and Sincere Carry, as a senior, will be regarded as one of the best in the state next season, and should get some very interesting D1 college offers, IMHO.

Last edited by TribeBuckeyeFan; 02-27-17 at 09:36 AM. Reason: name spelled wrong
Old 03-06-17, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

Sorry that I didn't get to post this weekend. I know it's old news, but Solon advanced to the Euclid District tournament with Saturday's 74-72 win over Willoughby South. The Comets had beaten the Rebels, 110-85 back in early December.

Some brief observations regarding Saturday's game: Solon played an outstanding first half. The Comets led, 42-32 at intermission. Early in the third period, Sincere Carry went to the bench with his third foul and momentum shifted to South. Willoughby got to within one point, at 62-61 a couple of minutes into the fourth period. The Comets built the lead back up to six or seven points in the last minute, but let the Rebels close the deficit because of some poor free throw shooting. South put in a shot at the final buzzer to get to within two.

Once Sincere went off with foul trouble, Solon never got the momentum back. Not even after Sincere returned. This game went much like the Elyria game the previous week, when the Comets took a big lead, only to let Elyria chip away and steal the victory. This time, the Comets played just well enough to hang on. And, of course, South isn't quite at good as the Pioneers.

Lately, the Comets play much better when they're behind and making a comeback than they do when they're trying to protect a lead. Also, at times, I think Solon gets a little too dependent upon Sincere. The Comets play their best when everyone chips in on offense. Of course, it can go the other way, too. Against Elyria, other guys like Jason Steele and Ryan Bergen shot well but Sincere had a rare off night offensively.

Against South, Sincere had 27, along with his usual all-around excellence. He was the best player on the floor, when he was on the floor. Steele had 14 and Bergen and Michael Bekelja each netted 11. I'd like to see both guys shoot a little more.

Willoughby is a decent team, not great. The Rebels are maybe a little taller than the Comets, and they've got a couple of good athletes, especially their 6-3 forward who scored about 25. The Rebels had two other guys in double figures.

I'm a little concerned that Solon didn't put the Rebels away when they had the chance. Lately, the Comets seem to play to the level of their competition.

Solon faces Cleveland Heights Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Euclid. Let's hope the Comets are at their best.

Last edited by Metacomet; 03-07-17 at 10:52 AM.