Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-15-17, 08:42 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
There Will Be Blood - 7.9/8

The wife probably won't forgive me for making her watch it
Definitely in my top 5 all-time.
Old 02-15-17, 08:56 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Definitely in my top 5 all-time.
Such a satisfying ending.
Old 02-16-17, 07:12 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Nashville (1975) - Fine film. One of the best of 1975. You get a little dizzy trying to follow all of the many subplots but fine film. If you watch it, look for John Candy in an uncredited crowd scene.

6.5/8

Ice Station Zebra (1968) - A good Cold War thiller. While watching it I felt like it was a Guns of Navarone on ice and later found out that the same guy wrote both novels upon which each of the films were based.

5.5/8

Last edited by Purplemojo; 02-18-17 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-16-17, 09:20 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Such a satisfying ending.
There are roughly three scenes in the movie (the ending is one) that are all-time greats. Simply incredible acting and writing
Old 02-16-17, 10:51 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
OJ: Made in America 8/8

I'm not sure you can consider a 6 episode, 5 hour documentary a movie, but the Academy seems to be doing it so I guess it's a movie.

Despite being in my 40s and having lived through the whole OJ thing I found this awfully good. Lots of new stuff in here I've never heard before and it totally sucked me in. There are interviews with almost all the major figures from OJs life past and present, the trial, his friends and certainly some enemies.

Really good stuff here folks.
Old 02-16-17, 11:28 AM
All Yappi

Interview with a Vampire- 2.5/8. Great cast, awful movie

Last edited by Descartes; 02-16-17 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-16-17, 11:31 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
There are roughly three scenes in the movie (the ending is one) that are all-time greats. Simply incredible acting and writing
Old 02-18-17, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrival

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I don't know if I could ever take Forest Whitaker seriously...ever, but he didn't detract from the story.

6.5/8
Old 02-18-17, 02:06 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
Arrival

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I don't know if I could ever take Forest Whitaker seriously...ever, but he didn't detract from the story.

6.5/8
Goes to those opinion things, he's one of my favorite actors, I look forward to seeing Arrival but I can't fathom the love for "There Will Be Blood." Too many like that movie though, I'll watch it again someday just to see if my opinion has changed. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for the movie, when I first saw it. Speaking of rewatch

Saving Private Ryan 8/8. Still can barely watch the scene when the car is coming up to the Ryan farmhouse.
Old 02-18-17, 05:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Arrival

6.5/8
Just finished it, I give it a 5.75.
Old 02-18-17, 07:23 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I don't know if I could ever take Forest Whitaker seriously...ever....
This won't help....

Old 02-18-17, 11:13 PM
All World

Arrival - Outstanding syfy film. A real smart film that challanges the viewer. Amy Adams was excellent in this role.

Forest Whitaker? it was hard to take him seriously in this. Not because of his acting but because he could have never gotten into the army with his eye issue, let alone rise to the rank of COL. As far as his acting is concerned, he does a decent job in this film and was excellent in The Last King of Scotland (2006), so, he definately can act.

6.7/8
Old 02-19-17, 11:36 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
The Legend of Tarzan - 2/8

Awful movie that ruins the Tarzan story. PC treatment seriously distorts history and the use of lousy CG effects only makes matters worse. Samuel Jackson is completely out of place in what may be the worst movie he's ever been in. The guy playing Tarzan is a mannequin.

The Hateful Eight - 5/8

Well at least it's a great looking film and as always with Tarantino there are moments of sheer brilliance but in the end it's not about a damn thing. And when the ONLY characters you care about in the whole damn movie are the horses, you know you've got story telling problems.

Forbidden Planet - 8/8

Classic science fiction film that proves Gene Roddenberry didn't have an ounce of imagination when he "created" Star Trek. Much ahead of it's time with interesting special effects for when it was made in 1956. Great story which borrows from Shakespeare! Don't be put off by Leslie Nielsen in the title role - he plays it straight. The thing that strikes you is that there is NO music score beyond a series of bizarre sounding tonal notes. Enhances the eerie character of the film.

I've always wondered why they haven't remade Forbidden Planet and I guess the answer is they have but always call it something else. You can see it's influence on a lot of the last quarter century of science fiction TV & movie making.
Old 02-19-17, 12:33 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Keeping Up With The Jones: 5/8

Not as great as you would hope with four solid actors, but still a fun movie.
Old 02-19-17, 12:37 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Split: 6.5/8

Great, great movie accompanied by great performances by James McAvoy and Anna Taylor-Joy. In the case of McAvoy, quite possibly one of the best acting jobs I've ever seen. He plays a character with split personality disorder and you seem him prominently play about 13 of his (23) personalities throughout the movie.

I knew there was a twist ending, but it's not one you see at all coming, and while I'll disagree with some reviewers that it makes you view the entire movie differently, it certainly intrigues you going forward (and Shymalan has said he's already writing a sequel).

Last edited by PantherProud; 02-19-17 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 04:45 PM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Saw "Split" yesterday. Loved it. Very cool concept, and intriguing movie.

Saw "Cure for Wellness" today. Goofy plot. Predictable and boring. Save your money and time. I wanted to leave about halfway through but I was with my family and didn't want to "cause a scene" getting everybody up. Upon leaving, my son said he slept through it.
Old 02-19-17, 05:00 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post

Forbidden Planet - 8/8

Classic science fiction film that proves Gene Roddenberry didn't have an ounce of imagination when he "created" Star Trek. Much ahead of it's time with interesting special effects for when it was made in 1956. Great story which borrows from Shakespeare! Don't be put off by Leslie Nielsen in the title role - he plays it straight. The thing that strikes you is that there is NO music score beyond a series of bizarre sounding tonal notes. Enhances the eerie character of the film.

I've always wondered why they haven't remade Forbidden Planet and I guess the answer is they have but always call it something else. You can see it's influence on a lot of the last quarter century of science fiction TV & movie making.
One of my favorites. "Forbidden Planet" set the bar high for sci-fi flicks more than 60 years ago. It has aged extremely well and is still worth watching today.

SPOILER ALERT BELOW:

Altaira (Anne Francis) goes swimming on the Forbidden Planet...nekkid...well, sorta nekkid.
Old 02-19-17, 06:19 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
One of my favorites. "Forbidden Planet" set the bar high for sci-fi flicks more than 60 years ago. It has aged extremely well and is still worth watching today.

SPOILER ALERT BELOW:

Altaira (Anne Francis) goes swimming on the Forbidden Planet...nekkid...well, sorta nekkid.
and not all of them do age well. It's not a complicated story but it still strike the imagination.
Old 02-19-17, 07:38 PM
All World

Quote:
Forbidden Planet - 8/8

Not quite an "8/8" but Anne Francis is so incredably hot in this film. She is a 9 1/2/10 but the film is very good and rates a 6.5/8
Old 02-19-17, 07:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Not quite an "8/8" but Anne Francis is so incredably hot in this film. She is a 9 1/2/10 but the film is very good and rates a 6.5/8
It was my 5th time watching the film and I was showing it to some of my nephews for their first time. They loved it and could see how far ahead of its' time it was.

As an aside I try to introduce them to the "old classics" when I can and they are now in their mid to late teens and the one thing they've noted is "gee uncle &&&& all the women in these old movies are hot and stacked"! I explained that back in the day, the movies couldn't just strip their characters naked like today so there were some strict anatomical requirements for certain parts.

BTW, another great movie to introduce modern teens to is "The Searchers"! They're always impressed with this movie and after seeing it they can't get enough John Wayne & John Ford movies!
Old 02-19-17, 11:39 PM
All World

Quote:
BTW, another great movie to introduce modern teens to is "The Searchers"! They're always impressed with this movie and after seeing it they can't get enough John Wayne & John Ford movies!
I watched a John Ford film tonight in fact Mister Roberts (1955) with Henry Fonda and James Cagney. Great film. Very funny and serious at the same time. Jack Lemmon appears as a very young man and is the source of much of the humor.

7.2/8

I used to have a film festival every summer for my kids while they were growing up. One year we would watch classic westerns then Universal monster movies, then war movies, gangster movies, MGM musicals, adventure films...etc. One of my kids went to CCM for film, another to OU for creative writing and all the rest maintain a keen interest in quality films of all eras. My kids are some of the most culturally literate young people I know. It makes a papa proud.
Old 02-20-17, 08:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I watched a John Ford film tonight in fact Mister Roberts (1955) with Henry Fonda and James Cagney. Great film. Very funny and serious at the same time. Jack Lemmon appears as a very young man and is the source of much of the humor.

7.2/8

I used to have a film festival every summer for my kids while they were growing up. One year we would watch classic westerns then Universal monster movies, then war movies, gangster movies, MGM musicals, adventure films...etc. One of my kids went to CCM for film, another to OU for creative writing and all the rest maintain a keen interest in quality films of all eras. My kids are some of the most culturally literate young people I know. It makes a papa proud.
It's fun showing young people some of the old classics. What impresses them the most (outside of the starlets) is how tightly paced and solid the story's are. I also think they like the good versus bad nature of many of the plots.

BTW, the kids really liked John Ford's "Cavalry Trilogy" (Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon & Rio Grande) and they were stunned by The Grapes of Wrath. It was news to them just how poor folks were not so long ago (during their grandfathers youth). This is the scene that really stuck with them:

It's both heartbreaking & uplifting at the same time. IMO, Ford was the best American director and it's not even close.
Old 02-20-17, 10:53 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Great clip!

Depression: My grandparents sold a bushel of tomatoes for a nickel at their farm stand. And, fed many drifters looking for work as they passed by. Some days, my grandfather could get an hour or two a day working at Goodyear - sometimes not. This is how they paid for the things they could not produce themselves. That's the story I have been told and I imagine it is pretty spot on.
Old 02-21-17, 09:21 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ice Station Zebra (1968) - A good Cold War thiller. While watching it I felt like it was a Guns of Navarone on ice and later found out that the same guy wrote both novels upon which each of the films were based.

5.5/8
Alistair McLean...read them all in high school.

BTW...Ice Station Zebra is most famous for one cultural touchstone that has nothing directly to do with the movie. When Howard Hughes had lost his mind, he allegedly watched this movie repeatedly.
Old 02-21-17, 09:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
OJ: Made in America 8/8

I'm not sure you can consider a 6 episode, 5 hour documentary a movie, but the Academy seems to be doing it so I guess it's a movie.

Despite being in my 40s and having lived through the whole OJ thing I found this awfully good. Lots of new stuff in here I've never heard before and it totally sucked me in. There are interviews with almost all the major figures from OJs life past and present, the trial, his friends and certainly some enemies.

Really good stuff here folks.
Exceptional television. I was working as a prosecutor at the time. To borrow a word, the impact of OJ's case on my work was HUUUUUGE.

This documentary is excellent. I was concerned that ESPN might expend some effort suggesting maybe OJ didn't do it. They didn't. Great stuff. If you're under 35, you might learn something about America...why it is where it is on certain issues.
Old 02-21-17, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Manchester By The Sea - Outstanding film. My choice over LaLa Land, Hacksaw Ridge and Hell or High Water (I have not seen the rest) for best picture.

7.5/8
I really liked this movie...I also understand that some may not. I wouldn't call it "dark". It is more "sad" than dark. Went with another couple...3 out of 4 thought it was really good. The fourth thought it was crap.

Also recently saw Lion. Really liked that as well.
Old 02-21-17, 10:46 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
The Girl In The Photographs (2015)

Horror: A woman receives photographs of murdered women. Not sure if they are real or staged she soon fears that she might be next... 3.5/8

Sunburst (1975)

Drama: Shame, shame, shame, shame .... this is one of those repackaged deals where they changed the title to "Slashed Dreams" and try to sell it as a thriller. Well, it does have Robert Englund in it but this is basically a couple of post hippies heading out to the mountains to find their friend Michael who is living off the grid. They run into some bad dudes.... 2.5/8
Old 02-21-17, 10:51 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
A Howling In The Woods (1971)

Thriller: Liza (Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie) leaves her husband (Larry Hagman also from I Dream of Jeannie) to go back to her family lake house to discover the town is not as nice as it once was and there is a howling in the woods. Well, this one falls apart... 3.0/8
Old 02-22-17, 05:31 AM
All World

Pride of the Marines (1945) - Not as good as The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), it is still a good coming home movie from late in WWII and based on a true story of a heroic Marine coming home with a serious war wound.

5.5/8
Old 02-22-17, 09:18 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Doctor Strange

A solid movie in the Marvel arc that introduces an important character for the next phase of movies. Mostly fun and not too dark.

6.5/8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: