Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-13-17, 07:17 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Ok, I rewatched the ending and there were a couple guys in the crowd. The first time around they all looked like chicks. Now this was near the boat that Rick had been to before and had not run into these folks, so, I have a hunch their camp is elsewhere.
I think they wanted the fans to think it was the woman camp that Tara stumbled upon. Just like Rick smiling?

Like lotr10 said there is no need for cliff hangers anymore. At least not all the time. It has gotten to the point that one could watch the 1st episode and last couple episodes of every season and not miss much.

It will be interesting to see what the junk yard people are all about (I now believe that spiked walker to be a walker junk yard dog so to speak)? Is Negan aware of them? If not then how?

Much like it was with the Governor this whole Negan saga will be long and drawn out.

I will say I like the Negan character far more and Steve Ogg plays a great psycho bully . I'll stick around just to see these two suffer. Just hope its good enough.
Old 02-14-17, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
If they play it close to the comic, which Gimple does, then this back half will consist of "March to War" with the actual war happening in Season 8. For me, that's too long to put on screen. In the comic, "All Out War" was fine for 2 volumes but I'm hoping they finish it up inside half a season.
Old 02-14-17, 09:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
It will be interesting to see what the junk yard people are all about (I now believe that spiked walker to be a walker junk yard dog so to speak)? Is Negan aware of them? If not then how?
Curious of this myself. This group is not in the comic, so they could go in any direction with them. Since I am a comic reader, I thought the Garbage Pail Kids was a nice twist from the comic, since it often follows the comic closely.

GPK was the name given to this new group after I dug up some info on them.
Old 02-19-17, 10:43 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
IMO, tonight's episode was awful. It suffered from all the issues that have increasingly been plaguing this series over the last couple of years. In fact it seemed like they let some of the writers from Fear the Walking Dead on the set.

I'll go into more details of why I really disliked this episode and why I'm worried about the quality of the rest of the season in a couple of days so people can get a chance to see tonight's show before I drop to many spoilers. I'll be interested to hear what other folks have to say.
Old 02-20-17, 12:11 AM
All American

SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
I thought it was a slow episode, but I wouldn't say bad. Its setting up for a huge war.
Old 02-20-17, 12:47 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Did not like this episode either. The "new" group just seems ridiculous. They can't speak in complete sentences. They collect things. They need help because their stuff is running out. They kind of remind me of an episode of Star Trek Next Generation:

Old 02-20-17, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

New group is strange. Not my favorite episode for sure. I do not trust this new group. What's with the haircut? Looked like the female version of Lloyd Christmas.

The effects of the junkyard were terrible, very unwalking dead like, although the spiked junkyard walker was pretty cool.
Old 02-20-17, 08:49 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
What are we, a couple years since the virus? And in that short period of time these people forgot how to talk? Not my favorite episode.
Old 02-20-17, 11:30 AM
All Yappi

The new tribe was beyond ridiculous. They were a bit slow on the uptake and I'm curious why Rick would be happy to have them in the fight. Giving them guns seems like a recipe for a lot of "friendly fire" causalities.

I'm also frustrated at how the series presents almost EVERY emerging post apocalyptic human society as either deranged, bizzare or grotesque. It seems to me that in the immediate aftermath of society's collapse military & para military units would have established numerous "safe zones" all over the country that over time would have flowered into small proto-states with relatively effective governance & access to resources.

And given the number of military bases on the east coast I think scavenging would have resulted in these proto-states being well armed. Add to that the fact that most of the police & armed services people I have known are decent men & women the "safe zones" would have been good places to live. Heck why haven't we seen any air power? Do you know how many small planes & helicopters must be sitting around? Emerging proto-states should be able to take to the sky at will and reap the benefits of air power & surveillance.

Spoiler Alert

This brings me to my biggest complaint about this episode and that's the scene between Daryl & Richard along the highway. Ok I get that once Daryl figures out that Richard is setting up Carol to take the fall for their ambush he would object but instead of fighting why doesn't either Daryl or Richard simply say "Dude, my bad we'll need to rework the plan so it doesn't put Carol at risk." Instead they fight it out?
Old 02-20-17, 12:43 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Spoiler Alert

This brings me to my biggest complaint about this episode and that's the scene between Daryl & Richard along the highway. Ok I get that once Daryl figures out that Richard is setting up Carol to take the fall for their ambush he would object but instead of fighting why doesn't either Daryl or Richard simply say "Dude, my bad we'll need to rework the plan so it doesn't put Carol at risk." Instead they fight it out?
Agreed. It was one of those scenes that really didn't make logical sense.
Old 02-20-17, 01:50 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The new tribe was beyond ridiculous. They were a bit slow on the uptake and I'm curious why Rick would be happy to have them in the fight. Giving them guns seems like a recipe for a lot of "friendly fire" causalities.

I'm also frustrated at how the series presents almost EVERY emerging post apocalyptic human society as either deranged, bizzare or grotesque. It seems to me that in the immediate aftermath of society's collapse military & para military units would have established numerous "safe zones" all over the country that over time would have flowered into small proto-states with relatively effective governance & access to resources.

And given the number of military bases on the east coast I think scavenging would have resulted in these proto-states being well armed. Add to that the fact that most of the police & armed services people I have known are decent men & women the "safe zones" would have been good places to live. Heck why haven't we seen any air power? Do you know how many small planes & helicopters must be sitting around? Emerging proto-states should be able to take to the sky at will and reap the benefits of air power & surveillance.
Ideally, that would happen. However, there's two issues. One was at least lampshaded in FTWD at the outbreak. Panic sweeps quickly. Those in control (Military) tried to setup a safe-zone, but the problem is the virus has already spread. The non-zombies were living time bombs. Just one person needs to die in a 'safe-zone' to cause more terror. And it perpetuates. As moving of goods and supplies to these safe-zones dries up, those in command will have to make tough decisions. And that's not even like in FTWD where the government, still functioning, decides to eradicate the 'safe zone' in Los Angeles.

It's clear, there's mass casualties in a very short amount of time. Men like Negan, and other 'mini-rulers' who probably exist throughout the country to some extent more than likely have one thing going for them: Power. Negan exerts it through fear. Others with force (weapons, tanks, etc they might have had access to). Others, such as Ezekiel, became a statesmen, bartering his (and his community's) safety with trade.

In the end, most 'good people' have died. Either unable to defend themselves from the virus, or from the others.

Based on timeframe, there's probably far less than 1% of the population in the U.S. surviving. Children are near non-existent, elderly are few and far between. I know it strains reality to think they traveled so much further north than a) the shooting locations indicate and b) traveling that far without working gas stations and tremendous road blocks and major cities potentially full of walkers, that it would make sense that they're just hours from Atlanta, at best.

My only major complaint about TWD is simply the walkers have taken a backseat to the power-struggle story between the various groups of survivors. Early episodes, they FEARED getting even scratched by one in hand-to-hand fighting, and you had to really demolish their head quite brutally because it was the brainstem controlling their actions. Now, a simple arrow or knife anywhere into the cranium drops them like a lead weight. It can be argued it's EASIER to kill them since their bones have softened and weakened so the skull is easier to penetrate. And they're slower as they've deteriorated. But, the zombies WERE the reason this show was so interesting. Now, they're about as intriguing as jobs for characters in sitcoms. Only there when needed, otherwise barely even referenced.
Old 02-20-17, 02:36 PM
All American

SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-wal...y-carl-grimes/

New theory for how it might end
Old 02-20-17, 07:52 PM
All World

Lotr, spot on.

Every Kirkman comic book fantasy has to be created at the expense of the show. Why bother with this group? Why are they so weird? Rick falling for the old look over the edge while I push you trick reminded me of Fonzie jumping a shark. Then these weirdo junkyarders had some spiked walker, what a joke.

Film and TV classes should look at Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead on how to and how not to end a great series.
Old 02-21-17, 12:52 AM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Did not like this episode either. The "new" group just seems ridiculous. They can't speak in complete sentences. They collect things. They need help because their stuff is running out. They kind of remind me of an episode of Star Trek Next Generation:

exactly!

PS I always wondered how those dudes mastered space travel.
Old 02-21-17, 05:45 AM
All World

I have to admit that I thought of a Star Trek episode as well. The community seemed very Borg like, but this chick was certainly not on par with Jeri Ryan as seven of nine (who was incredably hot).
Old 02-21-17, 07:34 AM
Cooling Off

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Maybe they are making the group unlikeable for a reason. Probably going to get slaughtered somewhere along the lines.
Old 02-21-17, 08:06 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
Curious of this myself. This group is not in the comic, so they could go in any direction with them. Since I am a comic reader, I thought the Garbage Pail Kids was a nice twist from the comic, since it often follows the comic closely.

GPK was the name given to this new group after I dug up some info on them.

On Talking Dead, the actress who plays Jadis (the leader) said their official name is "The Scavengers".

Also, as far as the way they talk, they said they did it so that it was portrayed as something unique that banded their community together more than just a group of people saying they were a group of people. In other words, not that they can't speak normally, but they choose not to. That's not exactly how it was explained on Talking Dead, but along those lines. I guess it's supposed to tie into their lifestyle. Take, don't bother. Don't use 5 words when 2 words will do. "minimalist" I think was a word used.

I imagine we might see them explain that during the actual show at some point.
Old 02-21-17, 08:20 AM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
I did not care for this episode, either, except for Daryl finding Carol. Wish he would have told her about Glenn, Abraham, etc...but I understand him wanting to protect her.

The tiger likes Daryl...foreshadowing of him taking over the Kingdom? (I don't read the comics). Replace Ezekiel and join forces w Rick.

Would be cool if that happened.
Old 02-21-17, 09:26 AM
Cooling Off

Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
Maybe they are making the group unlikeable for a reason. Probably going to get slaughtered somewhere along the lines.
Or turn on Ricks group. "Take don't bother" minimalist attitude would lead them to get things through as little trouble as possible, which I think makes them easily bought.
Old 02-26-17, 10:21 PM
All World

Is it just me or was Eugene channeling Steve Martin?
Old 02-26-17, 10:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Is it just me or was Eugene channeling Steve Martin?
I'm not sure about that but so far this season has been a big disappointment. The last thing we needed was another documentary on how things work in Neganville. I mean we didn't learn anything new except that Negan doesn't know the difference between a "real" doctor and a guy who claims to have a PhD.

The mistake they are making this year is the story needs to focus on the gathering of allies in the coming war with Negan. The episodes need to be focused like a laser on that end point. The narrative should be charging forward like a freight train not wheezing and sputtering along like a broken down jalopy. I guess this is what happens when the source material is weak.
Old 02-27-17, 07:58 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
I'm not sure about that but so far this season has been a big disappointment. The last thing we needed was another documentary on how things work in Neganville. I mean we didn't learn anything new except that Negan doesn't know the difference between a "real" doctor and a guy who claims to have a PhD.

The mistake they are making this year is the story needs to focus on the gathering of allies in the coming war with Negan. The episodes need to be focused like a laser on that end point. The narrative should be charging forward like a freight train not wheezing and sputtering along like a broken down jalopy. I guess this is what happens when the source material is weak.

I have a completely different take. This episode completely set up Dwight and Eugene helping take down Neganville from the inside.
Old 02-27-17, 10:19 AM
All World

Yeah but do we need to be shown that? I could have deduced that without tonight's episode.

By the time they actually get around to killing Negan I'm no longer going to care.
Old 02-27-17, 01:17 PM
All Yappi

I'm a big Walking Dead fan but the show is losing me. Very disappointed so far this half.

Dwight tried to escape Negan last season. Huge clues have been dropped all season long about his and others discontent. It's no surprise he and others are trying to get away. Move the story along. The Walking Dead used to be so good about opening story arcs and closing them, they were in such a rush to introduce Negan and they have stalled on the story and we get the same Neganisms over and over.

I agree with lotr, they should be moving full steam ahead gathering forces and weapons to take down Negan. The war will take all of season 8, who wants to see that? Ratings are dropping, and it doesn't appear they are going to be able to gain those viewers back.
Old 03-04-17, 04:13 PM
All World

Get ready for another bore fest filler episode.
Old 03-04-17, 04:25 PM
Cooling Off

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
It would take a lot for people to just stop watching now. Too much time invested to not see it through.
Old 03-05-17, 09:51 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
It would take a lot for people to just stop watching now. Too much time invested to not see it through.
That's my problem. I'm addicted to this stupid show and can't quit. But the quality has plummeted as they continue to eliminate the most interesting characters while maintaining a story narrative without any momentum.

A couple more bad episodes and this series will have entered the Fear the Walking Dead zone of complete crap. It's kind of sad if it happens. Hopefully the writers/producers will play like the Patriots and rally back from getting their butts kick. Maybe starting tonight?
Old 03-05-17, 12:00 PM
All World

Quote:
I agree 100% which is why I continue but I do not watch like I used to. TWD used to be an event in my household. My boys and I would make popcorn and the whole gamut and we'd be glued to the TV for an hour. Now I'm half watching while doing other things because as you said, I'm so darn invested at this point.
Old 03-05-17, 12:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Maybe starting tonight?
I love your optimism but do not hold your breath. From the previews this looks like a heavy dose of Rick and Michonne scavenging and reinforcing their love (as if we need more of that). Probably get in a pickle and at the last minute get out of it as usual.

You nailed it earlier when you said they should be working toward revenge against Negan. Period. Making bullets, staging guns, systematically killing one or two of the saviors on their "runs".
Old 03-05-17, 10:32 PM
All Yappi

I was wrong about things kicking off tonight. Very strange episode that didn't seem to make a lot of sense.

BTW, was it me or did Rick & Michone seem like they were on some kind of tranquilizer? They were awfully laid back given the supposed stakes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: