Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #931  
Old 02-13-17, 07:17 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 2,395
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Ok, I rewatched the ending and there were a couple guys in the crowd. The first time around they all looked like chicks. Now this was near the boat that Rick had been to before and had not run into these folks, so, I have a hunch their camp is elsewhere.
I think they wanted the fans to think it was the woman camp that Tara stumbled upon. Just like Rick smiling?

Like lotr10 said there is no need for cliff hangers anymore. At least not all the time. It has gotten to the point that one could watch the 1st episode and last couple episodes of every season and not miss much.

It will be interesting to see what the junk yard people are all about (I now believe that spiked walker to be a walker junk yard dog so to speak)? Is Negan aware of them? If not then how?

Much like it was with the Governor this whole Negan saga will be long and drawn out.

I will say I like the Negan character far more and Steve Ogg plays a great psycho bully . I'll stick around just to see these two suffer. Just hope its good enough.
Reply With Quote
  #932  
Old 02-14-17, 09:13 AM
Spille Spille is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 4,909
Spille is on a distinguished road
If they play it close to the comic, which Gimple does, then this back half will consist of "March to War" with the actual war happening in Season 8. For me, that's too long to put on screen. In the comic, "All Out War" was fine for 2 volumes but I'm hoping they finish it up inside half a season.
Reply With Quote
  #933  
Old 02-14-17, 09:18 AM
Spille Spille is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 4,909
Spille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
It will be interesting to see what the junk yard people are all about (I now believe that spiked walker to be a walker junk yard dog so to speak)? Is Negan aware of them? If not then how?
Curious of this myself. This group is not in the comic, so they could go in any direction with them. Since I am a comic reader, I thought the Garbage Pail Kids was a nice twist from the comic, since it often follows the comic closely.

GPK was the name given to this new group after I dug up some info on them.
Reply With Quote
  #934  
Old 02-19-17, 10:43 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 18,571
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
IMO, tonight's episode was awful. It suffered from all the issues that have increasingly been plaguing this series over the last couple of years. In fact it seemed like they let some of the writers from Fear the Walking Dead on the set.

I'll go into more details of why I really disliked this episode and why I'm worried about the quality of the rest of the season in a couple of days so people can get a chance to see tonight's show before I drop to many spoilers. I'll be interested to hear what other folks have to say.
Reply With Quote
  #935  
Old 02-20-17, 12:11 AM
SportsGenius SportsGenius is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-04-13
Posts: 2,155
SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
I thought it was a slow episode, but I wouldn't say bad. Its setting up for a huge war.
Reply With Quote
  #936  
Old 02-20-17, 12:47 AM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 40,815
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Did not like this episode either. The "new" group just seems ridiculous. They can't speak in complete sentences. They collect things. They need help because their stuff is running out. They kind of remind me of an episode of Star Trek Next Generation:

Reply With Quote
  #937  
Old 02-20-17, 08:43 AM
Spille Spille is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 4,909
Spille is on a distinguished road
New group is strange. Not my favorite episode for sure. I do not trust this new group. What's with the haircut? Looked like the female version of Lloyd Christmas.

The effects of the junkyard were terrible, very unwalking dead like, although the spiked junkyard walker was pretty cool.
Reply With Quote
  #938  
Old 02-20-17, 08:49 AM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 2,359
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
What are we, a couple years since the virus? And in that short period of time these people forgot how to talk? Not my favorite episode.
Reply With Quote
  #939  
Old 02-20-17, 11:30 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 18,571
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
The new tribe was beyond ridiculous. They were a bit slow on the uptake and I'm curious why Rick would be happy to have them in the fight. Giving them guns seems like a recipe for a lot of "friendly fire" causalities.

I'm also frustrated at how the series presents almost EVERY emerging post apocalyptic human society as either deranged, bizzare or grotesque. It seems to me that in the immediate aftermath of society's collapse military & para military units would have established numerous "safe zones" all over the country that over time would have flowered into small proto-states with relatively effective governance & access to resources.

And given the number of military bases on the east coast I think scavenging would have resulted in these proto-states being well armed. Add to that the fact that most of the police & armed services people I have known are decent men & women the "safe zones" would have been good places to live. Heck why haven't we seen any air power? Do you know how many small planes & helicopters must be sitting around? Emerging proto-states should be able to take to the sky at will and reap the benefits of air power & surveillance.

Spoiler Alert

This brings me to my biggest complaint about this episode and that's the scene between Daryl & Richard along the highway. Ok I get that once Daryl figures out that Richard is setting up Carol to take the fall for their ambush he would object but instead of fighting why doesn't either Daryl or Richard simply say "Dude, my bad we'll need to rework the plan so it doesn't put Carol at risk." Instead they fight it out?
Reply With Quote
  #940  
Old 02-20-17, 12:43 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 40,815
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Spoiler Alert

This brings me to my biggest complaint about this episode and that's the scene between Daryl & Richard along the highway. Ok I get that once Daryl figures out that Richard is setting up Carol to take the fall for their ambush he would object but instead of fighting why doesn't either Daryl or Richard simply say "Dude, my bad we'll need to rework the plan so it doesn't put Carol at risk." Instead they fight it out?
Agreed. It was one of those scenes that really didn't make logical sense.
Reply With Quote
  #941  
Old 02-20-17, 01:50 PM
Sykotyk Sykotyk is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Location: Lowellville, OH
Posts: 3,113
Sykotyk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
The new tribe was beyond ridiculous. They were a bit slow on the uptake and I'm curious why Rick would be happy to have them in the fight. Giving them guns seems like a recipe for a lot of "friendly fire" causalities.

I'm also frustrated at how the series presents almost EVERY emerging post apocalyptic human society as either deranged, bizzare or grotesque. It seems to me that in the immediate aftermath of society's collapse military & para military units would have established numerous "safe zones" all over the country that over time would have flowered into small proto-states with relatively effective governance & access to resources.

And given the number of military bases on the east coast I think scavenging would have resulted in these proto-states being well armed. Add to that the fact that most of the police & armed services people I have known are decent men & women the "safe zones" would have been good places to live. Heck why haven't we seen any air power? Do you know how many small planes & helicopters must be sitting around? Emerging proto-states should be able to take to the sky at will and reap the benefits of air power & surveillance.
Ideally, that would happen. However, there's two issues. One was at least lampshaded in FTWD at the outbreak. Panic sweeps quickly. Those in control (Military) tried to setup a safe-zone, but the problem is the virus has already spread. The non-zombies were living time bombs. Just one person needs to die in a 'safe-zone' to cause more terror. And it perpetuates. As moving of goods and supplies to these safe-zones dries up, those in command will have to make tough decisions. And that's not even like in FTWD where the government, still functioning, decides to eradicate the 'safe zone' in Los Angeles.

It's clear, there's mass casualties in a very short amount of time. Men like Negan, and other 'mini-rulers' who probably exist throughout the country to some extent more than likely have one thing going for them: Power. Negan exerts it through fear. Others with force (weapons, tanks, etc they might have had access to). Others, such as Ezekiel, became a statesmen, bartering his (and his community's) safety with trade.

In the end, most 'good people' have died. Either unable to defend themselves from the virus, or from the others.

Based on timeframe, there's probably far less than 1% of the population in the U.S. surviving. Children are near non-existent, elderly are few and far between. I know it strains reality to think they traveled so much further north than a) the shooting locations indicate and b) traveling that far without working gas stations and tremendous road blocks and major cities potentially full of walkers, that it would make sense that they're just hours from Atlanta, at best.

My only major complaint about TWD is simply the walkers have taken a backseat to the power-struggle story between the various groups of survivors. Early episodes, they FEARED getting even scratched by one in hand-to-hand fighting, and you had to really demolish their head quite brutally because it was the brainstem controlling their actions. Now, a simple arrow or knife anywhere into the cranium drops them like a lead weight. It can be argued it's EASIER to kill them since their bones have softened and weakened so the skull is easier to penetrate. And they're slower as they've deteriorated. But, the zombies WERE the reason this show was so interesting. Now, they're about as intriguing as jobs for characters in sitcoms. Only there when needed, otherwise barely even referenced.
Reply With Quote
  #942  
Old 02-20-17, 02:36 PM
SportsGenius SportsGenius is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-04-13
Posts: 2,155
SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-wal...y-carl-grimes/

New theory for how it might end
Reply With Quote
  #943  
Old 02-20-17, 07:52 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 2,395
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Lotr, spot on.

Every Kirkman comic book fantasy has to be created at the expense of the show. Why bother with this group? Why are they so weird? Rick falling for the old look over the edge while I push you trick reminded me of Fonzie jumping a shark. Then these weirdo junkyarders had some spiked walker, what a joke.

Film and TV classes should look at Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead on how to and how not to end a great series.
Reply With Quote
  #944  
Old 02-21-17, 12:52 AM
Possessed Possessed is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-22-16
Posts: 1,179
Possessed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Did not like this episode either. The "new" group just seems ridiculous. They can't speak in complete sentences. They collect things. They need help because their stuff is running out. They kind of remind me of an episode of Star Trek Next Generation:

exactly!

PS I always wondered how those dudes mastered space travel.
Reply With Quote
  #945  
Old 02-21-17, 05:45 AM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 2,359
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
I have to admit that I thought of a Star Trek episode as well. The community seemed very Borg like, but this chick was certainly not on par with Jeri Ryan as seven of nine (who was incredably hot).
Reply With Quote
  #946  
Old 02-21-17, 07:34 AM
Uncle Ted Uncle Ted is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-25-14
Location: Cooling Off
Posts: 7,391
Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Maybe they are making the group unlikeable for a reason. Probably going to get slaughtered somewhere along the lines.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz