Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-12-17, 03:57 PM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
#1 Over all Draft Pick for the NWSL

Awesome to see CUP Alum Rose Lavelle selected as the #1 overall draft pick in the NWSL by the Boston Breakers!
Congrats to Rose and her family.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-17, 05:29 PM
All Ohio

Soccer Toe is on a distinguished road
What a great honor for Rose.
Old 01-12-17, 08:52 PM
Freshman

everton1 is on a distinguished road
For those that did not get to watch it Doug Conway taped it (thanks!). I watched live and was hoping someone taped it.

How exciting for her and her family. Touching tribute to her parents at the end around them going to the event - very special!

Old 01-12-17, 09:25 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
And Rose even gave a nod to her high school. That will be something that future GDAers won't be able to do when they get drafted. It's a shame, really.

It almost seems unfair with the amount of talent the Breakers picked up. Morgan Andrews is a beast as is Margaret Purce. I don't know a lot about Onumonu but she played at Cal and hit 33 goals and dished out 17 assists. Anyone that can do that in the PAC-12 is very capable.

I don't follow women's soccer past college. I peripherally follow the USWNT around the time of the World Cup & the Olympics and that's it. I just can't get interested. Anyway, how did Boston come to acquire so many picks? I think that they had 4 of the first 11 or 12.

Last edited by Rohbino; 01-13-17 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 01-13-17, 06:59 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by everton1 View Post
For those that did not get to watch it Doug Conway taped it (thanks!). I watched live and was hoping someone taped it.

How exciting for her and her family. Touching tribute to her parents at the end around them going to the event - very special!

Thanks for posting the video. Great to see Rose go at #1.
Old 01-15-17, 12:29 AM
Varsity

fearthekeeper is on a distinguished road
Great honor for her. I know it's a great marketing tool for CUP, but the endless tweets, posts, etc are a little much. We get it, she only got there because of CUP.
Old 01-15-17, 08:19 AM
Junior Varsity

mykids1fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by everton1 View Post

I thought she handled herself very well as she was introduced. I always hate the way the NFLers slobber all over the commissioner, bro-hugging, etc when they get drafted.
Old 01-15-17, 12:35 PM
All Ohio

Juan Pelota is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthekeeper View Post
Great honor for her. I know it's a great marketing tool for CUP, but the endless tweets, posts, etc are a little much. We get it, she only got there because of CUP.
Cup isn't doing anything differently than what any other club would have done had one of its former players been drafted #1. Oe, kha, op, or whatever club, would be doing the same. as a matter of fact I'm surprised that oe hasn't tried to somehow take some credit based on the fact it's in the same city as cup. perhaps they already did?
Old 01-15-17, 02:21 PM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
one day it will be about kids and not adults but not this day. egos for days, man does it get old
Old 01-15-17, 04:58 PM
Varsity

fearthekeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Pelota View Post
Cup isn't doing anything differently than what any other club would have done had one of its former players been drafted #1. Oe, kha, op, or whatever club, would be doing the same. as a matter of fact I'm surprised that oe hasn't tried to somehow take some credit based on the fact it's in the same city as cup. perhaps they already did?
Maybe so, maybe not. Doesn't make it any less annoying.
Old 01-15-17, 05:27 PM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykids1fan View Post
I thought she handled herself very well as she was introduced. I always hate the way the NFLers slobber all over the commissioner, bro-hugging, etc when they get drafted.
She did very well later in the draft when she was interviewed on the live stream also.
Old 01-16-17, 09:30 AM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
The only good thing in this whole deal is that she graduated from Wisconsin with a degree and that degree is not in soccer?

Since her new gig pays her $19,500 dollars a year?

According to Obama that makes her eligible for assistance, since she would be considered below the poverty level ?

Nothing is going to change in womens soccer until they start paying some good money to play.

The best thing Soccer has ever done for her up to this point is paid for her college education which in the end is what will make her successful
It is what it is !

What are the retired womens players doing these days ? Exactly
I heard Hope Solo is now a bouncer at a country western bar
Old 01-16-17, 11:32 AM
All District

Fulham is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
Nope. She failed the background check. Even Country Western Bars have standards.
Old 01-17-17, 09:57 AM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
The only good thing in this whole deal is that she graduated from Wisconsin with a degree and that degree is not in soccer?

Since her new gig pays her $19,500 dollars a year?

According to Obama that makes her eligible for assistance, since she would be considered below the poverty level ?

Nothing is going to change in womens soccer until they start paying some good money to play.

The best thing Soccer has ever done for her up to this point is paid for her college education which in the end is what will make her successful
It is what it is !

What are the retired womens players doing these days ? Exactly
Women professional players are truly doing it for the love of sport and competition because there is no money....If you look at the bio of Xavier's new coach, you can see what Rose will have to do to make a living while playing professional -- pick up a little cash from being on the WMNT, get a part-time club coaching gig, state ODP, local camps/clinics, go to grad school if time permits in off-season, maybe help out at Balconi.....try to move into college coaching towards end of playing career
Old 01-19-17, 05:34 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
A "behind the scenes" look at the NWSL draft with the Boston Breakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan73 View Post
Women professional players are truly doing it for the love of sport and competition because there is no money....If you look at the bio of Xavier's new coach, you can see what Rose will have to do to make a living while playing professional -- pick up a little cash from being on the WMNT, get a part-time club coaching gig, state ODP, local camps/clinics, go to grad school if time permits in off-season, maybe help out at Balconi.....try to move into college coaching towards end of playing career
It is true that the NWSL doesn't pay well. Players in the NWSL that are not allocated by the United States and Canadian federations will make between $7,200 and $39,700 for the six-month season, up from $6,842 to $37,800 in 2015. In 2013, salaries ranged from $6,000 to $30,000. The salary caps are $278,000 in 2016, up from $265,000 in 2015. In the league's inaugural season in 2013, the salary cap was $200,000. Most players will need to supplement their income. Also there is always the option of playing in Europe. In general the European clubs pay more than the NWSL clubs. Alex Morgan will be playing on loan to the French club, Olympique Lyonnais.

Alex Morgan is not a good example to pull out as an example of what women soccer players are capable of earning. She moonlights as Suzie Chapstick and also has endorsement deals with Nike, Panasonic, AT&T, Chobani, McDonalds, P&G, Mondelez International, and Coca-Cola. She's paid very well and not strapped for cash. Christen Press is another player that makes the bulk of her income from endorsements. In addition to being Ms. Coppertone she has endorsement deals with Nike, General Mills, and Genesis Today. So the other option for players is to have the supermodel looks of Morgan or Press and wrangle some endorsement deals.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: