Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Colerain vs. St. Xavier - PLAYOFF EDITION
Cardinals win by 14+ 29 30.21%
Cardinals win by 7-13 26 27.08%
Cardinals win by 1-6 12 12.50%
Bombers win by 1-6 25 26.04%
Bombers win by 7-13 2 2.08%
Bombers win by 14+ 2 2.08%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-18, 11:08 PM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Region 4: St. Xavier (5-5) @ Colerain (10-0)

14th post-season meeting all-time for these two storied programs.

Let's have some good, constructive conversation surrounding this titanic struggle.

Nothing is guaranteed. Everything must be earned.

Cards.
Bombers.
Week 11.

-CardinalsFan
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-18, 07:19 AM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Cards by 10
Old 10-28-18, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
What are the past results in the playoffs? There have been some big ones. Canít believe 14 times though.
Old 10-28-18, 08:14 AM
This is the year

gocards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
What are the past results in the playoffs? There have been some big ones. Canít believe 14 times though.

St X leads 7-6. This will be the 14th.
Old 10-28-18, 08:19 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
28-10 cards
Old 10-28-18, 09:03 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
St X leads 7-6. This will be the 14th.
Is that front loaded or back loaded Gocards ? Seems like coach Bolden has done a pretty good job catching up and closing the gap lately. Maybe that's just the overall series between the two.
Either way should be a great game.

Looks like the Cards kicker is back full time practicing with the team. Not sure if this favors the Cards or not because St. X is always so good at special teams.
Old 10-29-18, 06:00 AM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
I just hope X can keep it close
Old 10-29-18, 06:13 AM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Coldrain 35
3OT
Old 10-29-18, 08:51 AM
All District

Warrior Watcher is on a distinguished road
Eagle Fan that would be a game to remember!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-18, 09:03 AM
All Ohio

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
I would ask Colerain fans how much better has the team gotten since early in the year. Besides the game between St X and Colerain, the only common opponent was LaSalle which both teams beat handily. From an outsider perspective it is difficult to know how much better they have gotten since they routinly rout the GMC schools.

The question on St X is are they better, worse or the same as early in the year. That is a tough one to evaulate given the stretch of losses in the middle of the season. The two areas where I believe they have improved is the running game and the kicking game. Last week their kicker made 2 30yard fields goals in the pouring rain. If they can count on this kicker from 35 yards then it will add a dimension that didn't exist early in the year.
Old 10-29-18, 09:36 AM
All Region

Colerain Fan is on a distinguished road
The Option is running a lot smoother now than Week 2. Better decision making and blocking from what I've seen. Given that.... St. X always plays disciplined Run Defense and contains the Option well.

In Week 2 St. X led in about every category. Though they only rushed I think for 50+ yards or so. Colerain can't expect on getting 5 turnovers in this weeks match up.

I think the Cardinals need to get up quick on the Bombers and break their will. Let them hang around in a close one and this could easily slip away for the Cards.

It's going to come down Colerain's Offense VS St. X Defense. Slip a TE outside for a few pass completions and open the Defense up and the Cards may Roll.

My Prediction:

Colerain 28
St. X: 20
Old 10-29-18, 09:44 AM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
Cards +16
Old 10-29-18, 09:45 AM
All American

birdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colerain Fan View Post
The Option is running a lot smoother now than Week 2. Better decision making and blocking from what I've seen. Given that.... St. X always plays disciplined Run Defense and contains the Option well.

In Week 2 St. X led in about every category. Though they only rushed I think for 50+ yards or so. Colerain can't expect on getting 5 turnovers in this weeks match up.

I think the Cardinals need to get up quick on the Bombers and break their will. Let them hang around in a close one and this could easily slip away for the Cards.

It's going to come down Colerain's Offense VS St. X Defense. Slip a TE outside for a few pass completions and open the Defense up and the Cards may Roll.

My Prediction:

Colerain 28
One thing is for sure. This is the absolute worse draw a #1 seed could have. I don't mean in Region 4, I mean in all 28 regions. If Colerain brings anything less than their A game (on offense) this could get away from them. St. X generally does as good a job preparing for the option as anyone. One or two unforced errors by either team could spell disaster. GBM
Old 10-29-18, 09:50 AM
All World

L Hand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
Is that front loaded or back loaded Gocards ? Seems like coach Bolden has done a pretty good job catching up and closing the gap lately. Maybe that's just the overall series between the two.
Either way should be a great game.

Looks like the Cards kicker is back full time practicing with the team. Not sure if this favors the Cards or not because St. X is always so good at special teams.
St. X place kicking is the worst I can remember this year. Definitely special teams in favor of the Cards on this one. Heck, everything is in favor of the Cards.

Anyone know if this game will be live on TV and if not, what streaming options might exist?
Old 10-29-18, 10:03 AM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post
One thing is for sure. This is the absolute worse draw a #1 seed could have. I don't mean in Region 4, I mean in all 28 regions. If Colerain brings anything less than their A game (on offense) this could get away from them. St. X generally does as good a job preparing for the option as anyone. One or two unforced errors by either team could spell disaster. GBM
Very good point. It is what it is but this is probably the toughest game Colerain could have drawn for the first round because historically Specht's defense does seem to know how to shut down the Colerain option.

If it's a low scoring game I have to go with X by a TD or less. If it's high scoring then I'd go with Colerain by >=14
Old 10-29-18, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
How has Colerain been with ball security this year?

If Colerain doesn't turn the ball over, they win. As long as they are even or plus on the differential, I can't see X winning this game.

Colerain - 23
X - 13
Old 10-29-18, 11:01 AM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

My Prediction:

Colerain 28
I hate to agree with Colerain fans, but I agree with all of your points.
Hoping for good weather and an injury-free game.
Winner will represent Southwest Ohio in Region 4.
Old 10-29-18, 11:11 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
I just don't see how X is going to score on Colerain's defense with a backup QB. Chris Payne could surprise, but it's going to be tough. X's defense will have to score for X to win IMO. I think it will be low-scoring with Kiessling leading X's defense against the option.

I'm thinking a 14-10 type game.
Old 10-29-18, 11:18 AM
All Region

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Colerain +16 is a huge spread for this game IMO. X covers for sure. I think Cards take it 21-20, X goes for 2 at the end to win and misses
Old 10-29-18, 11:24 AM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Hand View Post
St. X place kicking is the worst I can remember this year. Definitely special teams in favor of the Cards on this one. Heck, everything is in favor of the Cards.

Anyone know if this game will be live on TV and if not, what streaming options might exist?
Not 100% sure but donít think Tournament Games can be shown Live on TV or Live Streamed in Ohio except the State Finals. St. X should have its usual Radio Broadcast though.
Old 10-29-18, 11:25 AM
Varsity

bomberinmonroe is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

My Prediction:

Colerain 28
I think the bullets you're making are pretty spot on, but I think the score is a a little high. If Colerain scores 28, they win easy. If X can keep their defense off of the field like they did in their last 3 wins, they are going to make it a game. It's a strength vs strength matchup: Cards run offense vs X run defense. Not the first round opponent either wanted to face.
Old 10-29-18, 11:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post
Definitely a great match up birddog. If St. X does as good of a job preparing for the option as they did in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 playoff games I like the Cards chances.
The Cards just need to settle in and play defense. Props to coach Specht for exploiting the defense in game one this year and for hindering the offense in the first half.
Both teams are well coached and know each others tendencies to a fault. Which team will out execute the other this time around ?
Old 10-29-18, 12:22 PM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
Is the lineman returning for Colerain? Fath is it? I had heard he might make it back yet this year. Any truth to that?
Old 10-29-18, 12:50 PM
All Region

CardSharp is on a distinguished road
Throw out the records and stats kids, it's a 5-5 X team playing Colerain and they don't have a chance.... hmmm, where have I heard that before???
Cards by 10 or less, and if that happens then the Cards cruise through the rest of R4.
Old 10-29-18, 12:58 PM
Freshman

GrimeTime is on a distinguished road
A 5-5 season for the Bombers is the recipe for an OHSAA State Championship! =)
Old 10-29-18, 12:59 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Not 100% sure but donít think Tournament Games can be shown Live on TV or Live Streamed in Ohio except the State Finals. St. X should have its usual Radio Broadcast though.
Unless they changed the rules, they broadcast tournament games every year.
Old 10-29-18, 01:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Definitely a great match up birddog. If St. X does as good of a job preparing for the option as they did in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 playoff games I like the Cards chances.
The Cards just need to settle in and play defense. Props to coach Specht for exploiting the defense in game one this year and for hindering the offense in the first half.
Both teams are well coached and know each others tendencies to a fault. Which team will out execute the other this time around ?
I am a little surprised you included the 2016 game in your list. That was one of my favorites (although 2005 is way up there). Led to my 3rd trip to watch the Bombers win a State Championship since 2005. I really feel for the Card fans who haven't been able to enjoy trips like that during that time period.

Sadly, I do see this more like 2015 or 2017. It would be a huge surprise if X could keep this within 3 touchdowns.
Old 10-29-18, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Unless they changed the rules, they broadcast tournament games every year.
Is that Friday or Saturday though ? Might even be a student only broadcast. Was hoping to watch the game with sand between my toes. Will listen to it on wearecolerain.com if no video.

Funny how the Bombers and Cards keep meeting like this.
Old 10-29-18, 01:18 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is that Friday or Saturday though ? Might even be a student only broadcast. Was hoping to watch the game with sand between my toes. Will listen to it on wearecolerain.com if no video.
Without special permission of the OHSAA, there are no live video streams allowed of football tournament games.
Old 10-29-18, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I am a little surprised you included the 2016 game in your list. That was one of my favorites (although 2005 is way up there). Led to my 3rd trip to watch the Bombers win a State Championship since 2005. I really feel for the Card fans who haven't been able to enjoy trips like that during that time period.

Sadly, I do see this more like 2015 or 2017. It would be a huge surprise if X could keep this within 3 touchdowns.
Can't look at the offense getting slowed down when they put up 409 yards on a St. X defense in the 2016 playoffs LHand. Give credit to Sean Clifford for coming in and running the ball down the throat of a pretty good defense over and over again late in the game. Very impressive come from behind win.

Not the same as putting up 439 yards in 2017 or rushing for over 500 yards against the vaunted stack in 2015. That was unprecedented especially after the close first game. Obviously none of this has anything to do with 2018 but just trying to enlighten those thinking the Cards haven't moved the ball against St. X in the recent playoffs.

You just can't negate how well St. X played in game one sans all the turnovers this year.