Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-09-18, 02:55 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Not at all. I know Billy's transgressions. He never hit or got on base alot in the minors, so I don't know why people are surprised he's not hitting at the major league level.

But, with that said, he still does things that no other major league baseball player can do. I understand it's a "value" thing.
I made posts in 2013 that Billy should be traded bc he cant get on base. Sell high. Only idiots thought he would get on base when he couldnt as a minor leaguer. Guess the shoe fits
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-18, 04:18 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not at all. I know Billy's transgressions. He never hit or got on base alot in the minors, so I don't know why people are surprised he's not hitting at the major league level.
Who is surprised? Name anyone.
Old 11-09-18, 06:11 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
What kind of pitching talent do the padres have in the farm?
The Padres are loaded with talent however most of the pitching talent is AA or lower. They're at least 2 years away. They also have 8 big league or big league ready outfielders.

I would imagine it would take 4 players at a minimum, maybe 5 to get Suarez. Probably 3 pitchers and at least 1 outfielder.

It's not a bad idea to consider if you can get a solid starter, a stud bullpen guy, a AA prospect pitcher and at least 1 above average outfielder.

The money saved could go towards a number 1.

Suarez is the biggest asset they have. He should bring a serious haul if moved.
Old 11-09-18, 07:42 PM
All Yappi

I would think with so many years of control with a contract that could end up being team friendly in the long run they could get a good haul like IndianDad said. I am not sure the Reds would deal him considering they just extended him for what 7 years?....the price would have to be high like IndianDad said. If they do move him hopefully it is pitching heavy. The Reds just drafted India who played 3B in college, if they think he will be a solid MLB player then maybe that entices the Reds to make the trade if it is a great deal.

I dont know their farm system and what type of pitching prospects they have. IndianDad you said they have talent at AA and lower, what type of prospects do they have, how many "good" ones do they have, and who would you want to see included. If they have high end prospects at pitching I would certainly consider the deal.
Old 11-09-18, 07:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Who is surprised? Name anyone.
He is for sure. Couple of years ago he was talking about how he would improve and not be a liability at the plate.
Old 11-09-18, 10:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I would think with so many years of control with a contract that could end up being team friendly in the long run they could get a good haul like IndianDad said. I am not sure the Reds would deal him considering they just extended him for what 7 years?....the price would have to be high like IndianDad said. If they do move him hopefully it is pitching heavy. The Reds just drafted India who played 3B in college, if they think he will be a solid MLB player then maybe that entices the Reds to make the trade if it is a great deal.

I dont know their farm system and what type of pitching prospects they have. IndianDad you said they have talent at AA and lower, what type of prospects do they have, how many "good" ones do they have, and who would you want to see included. If they have high end prospects at pitching I would certainly consider the deal.
Mackenzie Gore pitched at A level last year, ranked 2 overall in Padres system. He would likely be a centerpiece in a deal like this.
Michael Baez AA pitcher lots of upside and 2 years away.
I would then look for a guy like Logan Allen AAA who could pitch next season.

These 3 might be a bit steep for the Padres liking especially if the Reds want to get an outfielder as well. Perhaps add Billy Hamilton to the mix and ask for two outfielders in return.

Billy would be a valuable player in a big ballpark on a team that has postseason aspirations.

Moving Suarez and Hamilton would free up $17M next season which could be used to sign Gennett (4/$48M) and the rest added to the pool for pitching.
Old 11-10-18, 07:16 AM
All World

The Padres are a team that needs serious help at 2B as well as 3rd. If the market for pitching becomes prohibitive and the Reds can't get FA to come to Cincy the Padres might be a team to work deals with. Scooter could bring back a couple of minor league prospects.
Old 11-10-18, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
I doubt the Reds part with Suarez. Management is always afraid of fan pushback in dealing players like him. Same with Gennett. Hamilton so useless I could see them trying to send him somewhere, but he will bet next to nothing. Too bad the reds front office is inept, it would be fun to discuss the possibilities.
Old 11-10-18, 11:07 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I doubt the Reds part with Suarez. Management is always afraid of fan pushback in dealing players like him. Same with Gennett. Hamilton so useless I could see them trying to send him somewhere, but he will bet next to nothing. Too bad the reds front office is inept, it would be fun to discuss the possibilities.
I agree. A trade of Suarez is not likely.
Old 11-12-18, 08:14 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
I agree with the thoughts that Suarez will almost certainly not be traded. In my list, he is one of the few that are nearly untouchable, with that age, ability and contract.

As for the Padres having "playoff aspirations", LOL. Their roster is a lot further from that than the Reds. They had a worse record than the Reds last season also.

And while they may have OF guys to deal, they won't be trading pitching prospects. Their MLB pitching rotation is worse than the Reds. ERA and WHIP look a little better but that is 100% due to the home ballpark. Luchessi and Lauer are probably the only guys they have that could makes the Reds rotation. Why would they empty out their pitching prospects for a 3B or 2B?
Old 11-12-18, 08:41 AM
All Yappi

If we propose a trade of Billy and 14red I think that in itself is worth the equivalent of Kershaw/Bailey type talent
Old 11-12-18, 10:26 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
I agree with the thoughts that Suarez will almost certainly not be traded. In my list, he is one of the few that are nearly untouchable, with that age, ability and contract.

As for the Padres having "playoff aspirations", LOL. Their roster is a lot further from that than the Reds. They had a worse record than the Reds last season also.

And while they may have OF guys to deal, they won't be trading pitching prospects. Their MLB pitching rotation is worse than the Reds. ERA and WHIP look a little better but that is 100% due to the home ballpark. Luchessi and Lauer are probably the only guys they have that could makes the Reds rotation. Why would they empty out their pitching prospects for a 3B or 2B?
I'm not sure we have an "untouchables". Suarez, while having a great contract, if he would bring us a solid starting pitcher, I think we have to look at it. It would also open up 3rd base for Senzel to move into, his natural position.
Old 11-12-18, 10:27 AM
All World

Quote:
If we propose a trade of Billy and 14red I think that in itself is worth the equivalent of Kershaw/Bailey type talent
Sorry, I've got a no-trade clause, and I've been a Reds fan for 52 years, not changing now.
Old 11-12-18, 11:47 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I'm not sure we have an "untouchables". Suarez, while having a great contract, if he would bring us a solid starting pitcher, I think we have to look at it. It would also open up 3rd base for Senzel to move into, his natural position.
That is why my post says "nearly untouchable". But the entire goal of a baseball front office is to identify impact players early, and get them into fair contracts that are team friendly down the road. We have that with Suarez.

You don't trade him for prospects. You don't trade him for a "solid" pitcher just so Senzel can play. You rebuild around him. The only trade I would consider would be an all star pitcher with good team control on the contract, since he is an all star himself.
Old 11-12-18, 11:53 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
+1 for the Kershaw/Bailey reference.
Old 11-12-18, 12:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
That is why my post says "nearly untouchable". But the entire goal of a baseball front office is to identify impact players early, and get them into fair contracts that are team friendly down the road. We have that with Suarez.

You don't trade him for prospects. You don't trade him for a "solid" pitcher just so Senzel can play. You rebuild around him. The only trade I would consider would be an all star pitcher with good team control on the contract, since he is an all star himself.
I understand, and I love the Suarez deal, he could put up huge numbers for his career in Cincy. Don't forget the "Votto" effect on players. Pretty much anyone we've had has hit better than their career averages batting before and after Joey. Bruce, Phillips, Duval, Gennett, Cozart, and Suarez. Not diminishing what Suarez does, just saying our lineup is built around Votto.
Old 11-12-18, 06:29 PM
All World

Quote:
I understand, and I love the Suarez deal, he could put up huge numbers for his career in Cincy. Don't forget the "Votto" effect on players. Pretty much anyone we've had has hit better than their career averages batting before and after Joey. Bruce, Phillips, Duval, Gennett, Cozart, and Suarez. Not diminishing what Suarez does, just saying our lineup is built around Votto.
Gennett's BA is 30 points lower batting in front of Votto than behind him.

Suarez's Slash line is far superior batting 5th as opposed to 4th or 2nd.
Old 11-14-18, 11:42 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
I say go all in on hitting the ball a long way and then find pitching on the back end as its.
Old 11-14-18, 04:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I say go all in on hitting the ball a long way and then find pitching on the back end as its.
So what players fit that profile? Which ones do you target?
Old 11-14-18, 07:46 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Sorry, I've got a no-trade clause, and I've been a Reds fan for 52 years, not changing now.
We've chosen to release you outright. Best of luck in the future
Old 11-14-18, 08:26 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Touted as one of the best offseason moves the Reds have made in decades
Old 11-15-18, 10:14 AM
All World

Quote:
Sorry, got a lifetime membership.
Old 11-15-18, 11:20 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Thoughts and prayers?
Old 11-15-18, 11:24 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Rip
Old 11-15-18, 04:59 PM
All Ohio

HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road
REDS are in a tough spot...No one is really untouchable on this team but several are not MARKETABLE...
Contracts given to some current REDS players would restrict their movement or require the REDS to eat money in the contract in a trade deal.

Homer Bailey, will be tough to move, Same with Billy Hamilton. REDS will need to try to free up cash to go out to get what they need to be competitive...

If not getting back to 2012/2013 is going to be hard to do...It maybe a few more years of cellar dwellers 60 win seasons.
Old 11-15-18, 06:42 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFB Fan View Post
REDS are in a tough spot...No one is really untouchable on this team but several are not MARKETABLE...
Contracts given to some current REDS players would restrict their movement or require the REDS to eat money in the contract in a trade deal.

Homer Bailey, will be tough to move, Same with Billy Hamilton. REDS will need to try to free up cash to go out to get what they need to be competitive...

If not getting back to 2012/2013 is going to be hard to do...It maybe a few more years of cellar dwellers 60 win seasons.
The first step is to sign (or attempt to sign) FA pitching targets. I believe the GM meetings were the first steps at gauging the FA pitching market. I believe the Reds are currently deciding if they can realistically contend if they sign the FA at the asking price.

Step 2 is trades. What will it cost in prospects to finish out a contending roster? Is it worth it?

Step 3 determine if Steps 1 and 2 get you where you want to be both short and long term.

Step 4 Either sign the FA and make the trades to upgrade or rebuild the rebuild by trading away Suarez, Gennett, Hamilton, Iglesias, etc.
Old 11-15-18, 08:30 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFB Fan View Post

Homer Bailey, will be tough to move.
The Mets might consider a Jay Bruce for Homer Bailey swap. Both are owed $28M. Bruce is over 2 seasons while Bailey is one. Clearly a move like this would be good for the Reds as it would free up $14M this season and add an outfield bat, albeit Bruce was pretty bad last season.

This would make sense for the Mets if they felt 2020 was their year as opposed to 2019. Their payroll for 2020 would be around $70M and they would still have their pitching intact.
Old 11-16-18, 10:31 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
The Mets might consider a Jay Bruce for Homer Bailey swap. Both are owed $28M. Bruce is over 2 seasons while Bailey is one. Clearly a move like this would be good for the Reds as it would free up $14M this season and add an outfield bat, albeit Bruce was pretty bad last season.

This would make sense for the Mets if they felt 2020 was their year as opposed to 2019. Their payroll for 2020 would be around $70M and they would still have their pitching intact.
Why would the Mets want to do that?
Old 11-16-18, 10:36 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post

And why in the world would the Reds want anything to do with Jay Bruce?
Old 11-16-18, 12:04 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And why in the world would the Reds want anything to do with Jay Bruce?
Indiandad is the George Costanza of Yappi with his wild proposed trades.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: