Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #91  
Old 11-02-18, 07:17 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,438
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Not a starter.... A bullpen pitcher.

Sean Doolittle
Koda Glover
Matt Grace

Any of these would be a good get for the Reds.
Doolittle? You mean Seth Rogan?

Meh. I’d keep Gennett and go the softball team route. They have the ballpark to do it. They aren’t going to contend for a while anyway, may as well be entertaining.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #92  
Old 11-02-18, 07:19 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,438
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
The Reds have to be thinking of moving Gennett or Senzel to the OF though.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 11-02-18, 10:06 AM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,513
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
I thought they were going to try out Senzel in CF?

Would be really dumb to trade Scooter for just a bullpen guy. It's a waste of time for a bad team to try and build a bullpen when the starting pitching is so bad. Need to add quality starters first. Bullpen guys can usually be signed as cheap FA's and are usually the last additions to good teams. Which is why it was so stupid to keep Chapman for an extra 1.5 years when the team was nowhere close to contending
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 11-02-18, 10:17 AM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,513
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
In other news the Reds hired the Brewers pitching coach a free days ago. Have no idea how they pulled that off, but it should lead to more analytical and unconventional management based on how the Brewers used their staff this year
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 11-02-18, 10:29 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,107
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
In other news the Reds hired the Brewers pitching coach a free days ago. Have no idea how they pulled that off, but it should lead to more analytical and unconventional management based on how the Brewers used their staff this year
Outside a little Reds action and the world series I didn't pay attention to the MLB this year. What did the Brewers do with their pitching staff this year?
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 11-02-18, 03:40 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,438
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
In other news the Reds hired the Brewers pitching coach a free days ago. Have no idea how they pulled that off, but it should lead to more analytical and unconventional management based on how the Brewers used their staff this year
Derek Johnson is a good hire. Brewers also lost their hitting coach to the diamondbacks.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 11-02-18, 05:32 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,977
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Outside a little Reds action and the world series I didn't pay attention to the MLB this year. What did the Brewers do with their pitching staff this year?
They had the 4th best ERA in the NL over the last 3 years (his tenure).

The Brewers were very quick to go to the pen when the matchup dictated it. They also didn't really have defined roles. It was more about the right matchup.

They had a very cheap pitching staff during his tenure.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 11-02-18, 05:41 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,977
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Doolittle? You mean Seth Rogan?

Meh. Id keep Gennett and go the softball team route. They have the ballpark to do it. They arent going to contend for a while anyway, may as well be entertaining.
To be clear, I was theorizing based on the Reds wanting to free up as much money as possible to land a pair of TOR starters (probably need at least $35M/year).

The Nats have a need at 2B and extra arms in the pen as well as money so they could be a fit.

In reality I see them keeping Gennett and adding more low risk high reward pen guys as well as starters like Cahill and Harvey.

I don't think they go the trade route until mid summer or next offseason. They need to prove they are close first.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 11-02-18, 05:44 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,977
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
The Reds have to be thinking of moving Gennett or Senzel to the OF though.
An outfield of Winker, Senzel, Schebler and Markakis would be really good offensively.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 11-02-18, 08:56 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,977
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
I thought they were going to try out Senzel in CF?

Would be really dumb to trade Scooter for just a bullpen guy. It's a waste of time for a bad team to try and build a bullpen when the starting pitching is so bad. Need to add quality starters first. Bullpen guys can usually be signed as cheap FA's and are usually the last additions to good teams. Which is why it was so stupid to keep Chapman for an extra 1.5 years when the team was nowhere close to contending

A trade of Gennett for Matt Grace and Koda Glover would bring back a proven bullpen arm and a good potential bullpen arm.

Move Billy either trade or non tender and sign Markakis (projects 2yrs/$16M) and play Senzel at 2B everyday. That gives an outfield of Winker, Schebler, Markakis and Ervin. All can hit well.
The infield would be very solid with Votto, Senzel, Peraza, Suarez and Barnhart/Casali.

That's a pretty good everyday 8.

Eovaldi projects 3yrs/$45M (probably a little low IMO).
Ryu 3yrs/$33M
Cahill and Harvey both 2yrs/$22M and Derek Holland 2yrs/$15M.
Korean league pitcher (projects as a solid 3, maybe a 2) 6yrs/$42M.

Sign Eovaldi, Ryu and Harvey or Cahill. That's a $45M increase (including Markakis) before subtracting Gennett and Hamilton's expected $18M for a net increase of $27M. 2019 payroll would be ~ $128M in 2019.
That gives the Reds a solid rotation, bullpen and position group.

Once Bailey is off the books his salary relief will go in part to Disco, Lorenzen, Schebler and Peraza in arbitration raises.

This would give the Reds a solid window of contention in 2019 and 2020 without giving up any of the farm studs and it is affordable even by the Reds standards.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 11-02-18, 09:53 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,438
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
A trade of Gennett for Matt Grace and Koda Glover would bring back a proven bullpen arm and a good potential bullpen arm.

Move Billy either trade or non tender and sign Markakis (projects 2yrs/$16M) and play Senzel at 2B everyday. That gives an outfield of Winker, Schebler, Markakis and Ervin. All can hit well.
The infield would be very solid with Votto, Senzel, Peraza, Suarez and Barnhart/Casali.

That's a pretty good everyday 8.

Eovaldi projects 3yrs/$45M (probably a little low IMO).
Ryu 3yrs/$33M
Cahill and Harvey both 2yrs/$22M and Derek Holland 2yrs/$15M.
Korean league pitcher (projects as a solid 3, maybe a 2) 6yrs/$42M.

Sign Eovaldi, Ryu and Harvey or Cahill. That's a $45M increase (including Markakis) before subtracting Gennett and Hamilton's expected $18M for a net increase of $27M. 2019 payroll would be ~ $128M in 2019.
That gives the Reds a solid rotation, bullpen and position group.

Once Bailey is off the books his salary relief will go in part to Disco, Lorenzen, Schebler and Peraza in arbitration raises.

This would give the Reds a solid window of contention in 2019 and 2020 without giving up any of the farm studs and it is affordable even by the Reds standards.
That starting 8 seems pretty meh to me. I’d give them a 50/50 shot at winning >70 games next year.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 11-02-18, 10:03 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,438
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Ironically, the Reds drafted Markakis twice before he finally signed a first rd deal with Baltimore s few years later.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 11-03-18, 05:14 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,977
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
That starting 8 seems pretty meh to me. Id give them a 50/50 shot at winning >70 games next year.
Which positions would need upgraded in your opinion?
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 11-03-18, 06:46 AM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 777
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Man the Dodgers are dumb. Just extended Kershaw 3 years / $93M. Don't they realize he and Homer Bailey are the same?
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 11-03-18, 06:50 AM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 777
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
A trade of Gennett for Matt Grace and Koda Glover would bring back a proven bullpen arm and a good potential bullpen arm.

Move Billy either trade or non tender and sign Markakis (projects 2yrs/$16M) and play Senzel at 2B everyday. That gives an outfield of Winker, Schebler, Markakis and Ervin. All can hit well.
The infield would be very solid with Votto, Senzel, Peraza, Suarez and Barnhart/Casali.

That's a pretty good everyday 8.

Eovaldi projects 3yrs/$45M (probably a little low IMO).
Ryu 3yrs/$33M
Cahill and Harvey both 2yrs/$22M and Derek Holland 2yrs/$15M.
Korean league pitcher (projects as a solid 3, maybe a 2) 6yrs/$42M.

Sign Eovaldi, Ryu and Harvey or Cahill. That's a $45M increase (including Markakis) before subtracting Gennett and Hamilton's expected $18M for a net increase of $27M. 2019 payroll would be ~ $128M in 2019.
That gives the Reds a solid rotation, bullpen and position group.

Once Bailey is off the books his salary relief will go in part to Disco, Lorenzen, Schebler and Peraza in arbitration raises.

This would give the Reds a solid window of contention in 2019 and 2020 without giving up any of the farm studs and it is affordable even by the Reds standards.
Interesting. I doubt the Reds would commit to that salary increase, but I'll play along. My preference would be keep Scooter and only sign 2 of those pitchers, and land about the same place salary-wise. IMO your version weakens the starting 8 / offense too much. If you really want to contend, Scooter has to stay.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 11-03-18, 07:25 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,438
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Which positions would need upgraded in your opinion?
Entire outfield.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 11-03-18, 07:30 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,977
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Entire outfield.
You're probably right. The Outfield is pretty weak.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 11-03-18, 08:06 PM
brianwr112 brianwr112 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-25-05
Location: richmond KY
Posts: 2,465
brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Tragedy in the DR today as the Reds had three players involved in a serious accident. One has passed away while another is critical.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 11-03-18, 09:06 PM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 1,413
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Definitely sad news; much more important than anything having to do with baseball. It's always sad when young guys like this -- one dead, one critical, one stable -- are cut down with such promising days ahead of them.

On a baseball note, it seems that a simple solution for upgrading the roster would be 1) to keep Gennett; and 2) use Senzel in a role similar to the way the Cubs use Kris Bryant.
It's not necessary to trade anyone of value for bullpen pieces. Effective relievers are (right now, anyway) plentiful, not very expensive, and very available.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 11-04-18, 06:38 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,977
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Tragedy in the DR today as the Reds had three players involved in a serious accident. One has passed away while another is critical.
Our sympathy to his family and prayers for a full recovery for the two young men. It truly is a tragedy to see youthful dreams struck down so swiftly.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 11-04-18, 06:46 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,977
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post

On a baseball note, it seems that a simple solution for upgrading the roster would be 1) to keep Gennett; and 2) use Senzel in a role similar to the way the Cubs use Kris Bryant.
It's not necessary to trade anyone of value for bullpen pieces. Effective relievers are (right now, anyway) plentiful, not very expensive, and very available.
I was looking at a Gennett trade as a salary relief to be reinvested in starting pitching more than upgrading the bullpen.
I think Senzel everyday in one position is important for his development. I like him in LF or 2B.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 11-04-18, 06:54 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,977
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
What to do with Billy....

His bat is a massive liability but his glove and speed are great assets. A 4 year/$12M deal is probably what it would take to keep him in Cincinnati in 2019.
Anything other than a bench/role player salary (including his projected arbitration salary) is to much and should trigger a trade or release.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 11-04-18, 05:50 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,438
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
They need to just walk away from billy.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 11-04-18, 06:07 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,977
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
They need to just walk away from billy.
$3M a year is not bad for a pinch runner/defensive replacement if they "get the pitching" first.

Otherwise, he needs to go.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 11-04-18, 09:52 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,513
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Billy STILL hasn't won a gold glove. Most overrated fielder in the game? It's probably time to move on.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 11-05-18, 03:02 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,994
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Billy STILL hasn't won a gold glove. Most overrated fielder in the game? It's probably time to move on.
Yep, all players who don't win gold gloves are bad players....
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 11-05-18, 04:24 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,438
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Yep, all players who don't win gold gloves are bad players....
Lolz
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 11-05-18, 07:15 PM
Gh0st Gh0st is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 3,814
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Yep, all players who don't win gold gloves are bad players....
Players that can't hit better be winning gold gloves. Otherwise, why are they playing?
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 11-05-18, 08:49 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,977
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
Players that can't hit better be winning gold gloves. Otherwise, why are they playing?
Or they better be really cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 11-06-18, 12:26 PM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 777
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Yep, all players who don't win gold gloves are bad players....
Has Kershaw won Gold Gloves? not since 2011. He stinks as bad as Bailey.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Division I Schedules EagleFan Football 95 10-28-18 06:16 AM
2018 Weekly Schedules by Date and Time EagleFan Football 12 07-23-18 03:52 AM
History of Baseball State Championships (1928-2018) Yappi Baseball 35 06-05-18 01:28 PM
2017-2018 Basketball Schedules Yappi Boys Basketball 60 11-30-17 01:53 PM
2017 Division I Schedules EagleFan Archives 66 10-25-17 11:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz