Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins World Series: Boston Red Sox vs Los Angeles Dodgers
Boston Red Sox in 4 2 25.00%
Boston Red Sox in 5 1 12.50%
Boston Red Sox in 6 4 50.00%
Boston Red Sox in 7 0 0%
Los Angeles Dodgers in 4 0 0%
Los Angeles Dodgers in 5 0 0%
Los Angeles Dodgers in 6 1 12.50%
Los Angeles Dodgers in 7 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-18, 01:14 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 53,435
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
World Series: Boston Red Sox vs Los Angeles Dodgers

World Series: Boston Red Sox vs Los Angeles Dodgers
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-23-18, 01:16 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,092
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Yawn.

IMagine the ratings will be big with two huge pop areas but I think many people just wont care much.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-18, 03:34 PM
atthemike atthemike is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-09-11
Posts: 30
atthemike is on a distinguished road
Don't care much for the WS, especially with FOX covering the games. Too much Buck everywhere in sports today. These sports do not have a voice that you can relate to. NASCAR is popular because they have media you can relate to that exclusively cover that sport! I for one am tired of the Albert family, Al Michaels, Buck and ex Dallas Cowboys! I almost wish the networks would employ "homers" to cover these events and make it more interesting for the home fans!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-25-18, 07:01 AM
Raymo Raymo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-30-09
Location: PRO FOOTBALL HOF CITY
Posts: 5,378
Raymo is on a distinguished road
Too much to watch,baseball puts you to sleep.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-25-18, 07:53 AM
Omar Omar is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-05-16
Posts: 989
Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Iím pro Analytics in sports, but it goes too far when youíre benching your 4 top HR hitters the first two games of the WS.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-25-18, 07:59 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,092
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Iím pro Analytics in sports, but it goes too far when youíre benching your 4 top HR hitters the first two games of the WS.
I am so-so on the analytics of the game.

I think over the long haul is when analytics are the correct play but in situations like this you have to get your best players on the field and do what you do best. There are some left handed hitters who should be able to produce for the LAD even though a lefty is on the mound.


It is sort of like football and lets say you were playing against Manning, or Brady, etc. Put 7 in the box to stop the pass, good for you. Many times early in the game they audible to runs because of the defensive looks, but when push comes to shove no matter the look the defense gives you have to go with your bread and butter of passing the ball.



I know there were times when I was coaching that I went with gut feelings during situations (such as intentionally walking a guy with a man on first to put the tying run on second).


I mentioned it during the Brewers series when they started a lefty reliever who pitched one batter. Many pundits said it "forced" the LAD to put their right handed lineup in and it burned a few of those bats eary.

Balderdash. I hate when they say a manager HAS to do something in terms of a matchup
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-18, 11:18 AM
Omar Omar is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-05-16
Posts: 989
Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I am so-so on the analytics of the game.

I think over the long haul is when analytics are the correct play but in situations like this you have to get your best players on the field and do what you do best. There are some left handed hitters who should be able to produce for the LAD even though a lefty is on the mound.


It is sort of like football and lets say you were playing against Manning, or Brady, etc. Put 7 in the box to stop the pass, good for you. Many times early in the game they audible to runs because of the defensive looks, but when push comes to shove no matter the look the defense gives you have to go with your bread and butter of passing the ball.



I know there were times when I was coaching that I went with gut feelings during situations (such as intentionally walking a guy with a man on first to put the tying run on second).


I mentioned it during the Brewers series when they started a lefty reliever who pitched one batter. Many pundits said it "forced" the LAD to put their right handed lineup in and it burned a few of those bats eary.

Balderdash. I hate when they say a manager HAS to do something in terms of a matchup
I think theyíre useful in scouting other players. It has to be useful to know something like JD Martinez swings the bat 60% of the time on a 3-1 count. Itís not useful when itís dogmatic, bc context and flow of the game are what matter most. The best managers can blend analytics with their own intuition.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-18, 10:45 AM
brianwr112 brianwr112 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-25-05
Location: richmond KY
Posts: 2,465
brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Yawn.

IMagine the ratings will be big with two huge pop areas but I think many people just wont care much.
Ratings are actually way down. Think this could be a real eye opener for MLB. Maybe even allow people to post videos on Twitter before they do like an hour later. You know, kinda use the NBAs model of getting fans involved with how we consume sports nowadays.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-18, 04:07 PM
Omar Omar is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-05-16
Posts: 989
Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought last night was awesome. I went to bed around midnight, woke up around 3, checked and saw the game was still going. Pretty cool having a WS game going on in the middle of the night.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-27-18, 09:20 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,699
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Puig just hit the f**kin titties out of that ball
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-27-18, 11:13 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,513
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Hope Machado gets benched for G5. Unbelievable
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-28-18, 06:05 AM
Raymo Raymo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-30-09
Location: PRO FOOTBALL HOF CITY
Posts: 5,378
Raymo is on a distinguished road
Baseball needs to end in September,at least because of the weather and fan interest.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-28-18, 06:46 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,438
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Hope Machado gets benched for G5. Unbelievable
Missed it, what did he do?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-28-18, 07:02 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,978
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Missed it, what did he do?
Dogged it down the first base line while blowing a bubble then spiked the firstbasemen.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-28-18, 08:35 AM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,699
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Roberts deserves all the credit for that loss
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-28-18, 11:56 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,438
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Roberts deserves all the credit for that loss
For pulling Hill?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-28-18, 12:17 PM
Omar Omar is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-05-16
Posts: 989
Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Roberts deserves all the credit for that loss
NL managers are supposed to be more intelligent with strategy and heís completely blown this series.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-28-18, 12:20 PM
Omar Omar is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-05-16
Posts: 989
Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Dogged it down the first base line while blowing a bubble then spiked the firstbasemen.
It looked intentional. No way somesoneís foot points in that direction if thereíre running a straight line. If it werenít the WS, Cora should have Price plunk him.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-28-18, 02:36 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,699
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
For pulling Hill?
Yes.

Supposedly Hill said “keep an eye on me”, so he walks a guy on 3-2 count, no big deal. Comes back and strikes the next guy out on 4 pitches and looks great doing so. We’re in the 7th inning, Hill has allowed ONE hit, zero runs and thrown 90 pitches. He just struck the last guy out with ease, so that’s the time to pull him? It’s just so effing stupid. You introduce variability for no reason, exactly what Boston wants to happen.

Not to mention you just ate up your bullpen the night before. Every additional pitcher you use in a game increases the probability that you’ll hit on one that’s not got his best stuff
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-28-18, 02:40 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 5,100
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
The NL = AAAA
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-28-18, 02:49 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,513
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Missed it, what did he do?
Hit a pretty hard ball to 3B and Devers bobbled it for a second. Machado wasn't running full speed and is out by two feet as he blows a bubble. Then he spikes Pearce's achilles as he runs by. Had he reached Bellinger would've been the tying run. He's a pos
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-28-18, 02:53 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,513
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Yes.

Supposedly Hill said ďkeep an eye on meĒ, so he walks a guy on 3-2 count, no big deal. Comes back and strikes the next guy out on 4 pitches and looks great doing so. Weíre in the 7th inning, Hill has allowed ONE hit, zero runs and thrown 90 pitches. He just struck the last guy out with ease, so thatís the time to pull him? Itís just so effing stupid. You introduce variability for no reason, exactly what Boston wants to happen.

Not to mention you just ate up your bullpen the night before. Every additional pitcher you use in a game increases the probability that youíll hit on one thatís not got his best stuff
Jansen has been trash since he came back from the irregular heartbeat. But Roberts continues to go back to him in key situations
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-29-18, 08:03 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,092
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Yes.

Supposedly Hill said ďkeep an eye on meĒ, so he walks a guy on 3-2 count, no big deal. Comes back and strikes the next guy out on 4 pitches and looks great doing so. Weíre in the 7th inning, Hill has allowed ONE hit, zero runs and thrown 90 pitches. He just struck the last guy out with ease, so thatís the time to pull him? Itís just so effing stupid. You introduce variability for no reason, exactly what Boston wants to happen.

Not to mention you just ate up your bullpen the night before. Every additional pitcher you use in a game increases the probability that youíll hit on one thatís not got his best stuff
I judged Roberts negatively..until I heard the story behind it and Hill really started to backtrack.


You don't tell a coach/manager/Dr/Trainer to "keep an eye on me" if everything is going great. When he told Roberts that, and I am no buying HIll's explanation after he got vilified, he basically was telling him...'I am almost done'.

Roberts jogged out to the mound, not something you do when you take a guy ou tand Hill gave him the ball without even asking for it.....so Hill took himself out.


In talking to other coaching buddies the last couple of days since then we all pretty much agreed there are diff thoughts/reasons going through your head when you go out there;
1. Times you KNOW you are taking him out, no matter what.
2. Time you are just going to talk strategy, slow down momentum with no intention of taking him out.
3. Unsure. YOu are going out to guage how he looks, acts, talks , demeanor and body language. Many times a pitcher takes himself out in not so many words by how he acts.

We always had a nonverbal with the catcher. If I looked at him when I got out there and he shook his head yes then that mean he was still good.


Hill took himself out NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT and his narrative changed only when he was mocked for taking himself out.

WHile I hated Roberts not having the HR hitters in the first two games even though it worked in season, this is NOT ON HIM taking HIll out



Also, Bosox were the better team
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-29-18, 02:31 PM
troyboy73 troyboy73 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-05
Location: springfield
Posts: 3,599
troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Get your Sox on !!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-29-18, 05:04 PM
Raymo Raymo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-30-09
Location: PRO FOOTBALL HOF CITY
Posts: 5,378
Raymo is on a distinguished road
Almost November and no more baseball,thats nuts...BAM!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-30-18, 07:34 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,994
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
I caught parts of all the world series games and it was much closer than most will ever remember. Lost is the fact that the Dodgers were up 4-0 in game 4 and needed only 9 outs to tie the series. Boston proved itself to be the best team during the regular season, and in the postseason, so kudos to them. But they were also opportunistic during the post season, scoring most of their runs with two outs.

I'll miss baseball and will be ready for the 2019 season!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-30-18, 08:26 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 7,092
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I caught parts of all the world series games and it was much closer than most will ever remember. Lost is the fact that the Dodgers were up 4-0 in game 4 and needed only 9 outs to tie the series. Boston proved itself to be the best team during the regular season, and in the postseason, so kudos to them. But they were also opportunistic during the post season, scoring most of their runs with two outs.

I'll miss baseball and will be ready for the 2019 season!
Still, it was 4 games to 1.

and the 1 took them 18 innings.


I hate to say it as I love me some baseball and coached it for a number of years but unless its my team in it.....the postseason and WS just don't do it for me like the NFL and NHL playoffs. I can watch those random games/teams but come baseball this time of year and I am burned out.


and they take way tooooo long.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
08/22 - American Legion Baseball World Series - Championship, awards, etc seclmw Baseball 0 08-22-18 04:11 PM
08/19 - Day 3 American Legion Baseball World Series seclmw Baseball 0 08-19-18 07:14 AM
08/18 - Day 2 American Legion Baseball World Series seclmw Baseball 1 08-18-18 03:01 PM
08/17 - Midland Berryhill Post 165 starts the American Legion World Series with a wi seclmw Baseball 0 08-17-18 07:39 AM
08/16 - American Legion World Series notes - unoffcial seclmw Baseball 0 08-16-18 01:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz