Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-11-18, 07:40 PM
All Ohio

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Copley played great and executed their game plan perfectly.

Hoban did not do enough to win.

The officiating sucked and there is no way to sugarcoat it.

Every Hoban fan knows it will be a factor when playing any local public school. We have to beat them by a lot to win by a little. Hoban had their chances and did not close. The refs still sucked. It is what it is and is nothing new.
Old 03-11-18, 08:02 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderSports View Post
I was at the game and I don't know how Hoban had 20 wins. They looked average and like the moment was too big for them.
Well thatís because you donít know a whole lot about Hoban basketball and who they have played. 21-4 isnít average. Their 3 losses were in conference to teams they also beat. Out of conference wins against St V, VASJ, Buchtel, East Tech, Green, Highland and Wooster were all quality wins. Copley is a very good team and won the game because they played better. Period. But I guess watching your home team go 2-21 would make that look average? You should have come and intoduced yourself since you have mentioned we are old friends but hiding behind the keyboard is more your style.
Old 03-11-18, 09:00 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootsWalker View Post
Thought the tech on Copley shortly before that was a momentum swing back to Hoban as well. Up 3 with the ball and a chance to use some clock turned into Knight ball plus 2 FT, although they ended up splitting the pair. Both techs seemed to swing the mo the other way briefly.
I agree with you. Hoban had their chances to take the game over and leave excuses behind but didn’t. It happens and as frustrated as I was as a spectator I was impressed with Copley’s effort from start to finish. They had a game plan and followed it all the way to the end. I don’t want my comments to take away from them deserving the win because they did. Post game evaluation is what it is.
Old 03-11-18, 09:18 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
Copley played great and executed their game plan perfectly.

Hoban did not do enough to win.

The officiating sucked and there is no way to sugarcoat it.

Every Hoban fan knows it will be a factor when playing any local public school. We have to beat them by a lot to win by a little. Hoban had their chances and did not close. The refs still sucked. It is what it is and is nothing new.

Weíve beaten Winton Woods, Avon, Trotwood Madison, Zanesville, Louisville, New Philadelphia and other public schools in football playoffs the last three years.

Does non-biased officiating only exist in boys basketball? Or we can stop complaining about officials and just accept that Copley-Hoban boys basketball this year is about a 50/50 matchup and we simply lost last night.

And like with the football team, we both return a lot (Salopek, Snyder, Reece, Easterling, Moegerle) and lose a lot (Gurley, Houser) next year.

Good season this year by the boys. Big win vs SVSM (post-game celebration not withstanding), Gurley sets all-time school scoring record, D1 district final, 20+ wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-18, 09:41 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
We’ve beaten Winton Woods, Avon, Trotwood Madison, Zanesville, Louisville, New Philadelphia and other public schools in football playoffs the last three years.

Does non-biased officiating only exist in boys basketball? Or we can stop complaining about officials and just accept that Copley-Hoban boys basketball this year is about a 50/50 matchup and we simply lost last night.

And like with the football team, we both return a lot (Salopek, Snyder, Reece, Easterling, Moegerle) and lose a lot (Gurley, Houser) next year.

Good season this year by the boys. Big win vs SVSM (post-game celebration not withstanding), Gurley sets all-time school scoring record, D1 district final, 20+ wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been very clear about tipping my hat to Copley. I would not dare diminish Hoban’s season. Thanks for the football update. I think the officiating is biased in both football and basketball which is a shame. It is my opinion. I am a Hoban fan, and see what I see. I will probably never see what The opposition sees and I am sure that reciprocates. No need to try and convince me otherwise. I was at the game and the officiating was poor on the floor and backed it up statistically. There is data behind my opinion. I am sure if Hoban won I wouldn’t be writing this. Bottom line is the team that scores the least amount of points usually does not win the game and that happened last night.
Old 03-12-18, 06:39 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
see if you can get coach T out there in the offseason recruiting for the basketball team. I think that will be enough top take your team to the next level and beat those publics.
Old 03-12-18, 06:46 AM
All Ohio

Thanks for the advice Bass. I will get right on it.
Old 03-12-18, 09:43 AM
Junior Varsity

Football330 is on a distinguished road
Officials are not biased when it comes to public or private. Officials sometimes stink weather it helps you or hurts you, its not based on your school. Copley won because they where ready and Hoban was not and they had the best player on the floor. Just my opinion!
Old 03-12-18, 11:11 AM
Varsity

RoughRiderSports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Well thatís because you donít know a whole lot about Hoban basketball and who they have played.
I think I admitted that from the get go.

Quote:
21-4 isnít average.
I agree. I said they looked average in the way they played vs copley.

Quote:
Their 3 losses were in conference to teams they also beat. Out of conference wins against St V, VASJ, Buchtel, East Tech, Green, Highland and Wooster were all quality wins. Copley is a very good team and won the game because they played better. Period. But I guess watching your home team go 2-21 would make that look average?
Well, we might not have gone 2-21 this year had two of the starters from Hoban stayed home.

Quote:
You should have come and intoduced yourself since you have mentioned we are old friends but hiding behind the keyboard is more your style.
Maybe next time.
Old 03-12-18, 11:20 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
For the record, I am not Cougarís alter ego. What is up with your obsession with him? Why are you so scorned?
Because the flight of talent to greener pastures is ruining my hometown sports program. It's one thing to move along to a new school quietly. It's another to beat your chest every time your team does well. Had Cougar chosen to do the former, we wouldn't be having this conversation. He chooses to glow in the fact that his team has assembled the best talent in the state, which they have. Congratulations on that. Don't expect those of us in the wastelands of high school sports to sit on the sidelines and cheer you on.
Old 03-12-18, 11:28 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I think I admitted that from the get go.

I agree. I said they looked average in the way they played vs copley.

Well, we might not have gone 2-21 this year had two of the starters from Hoban stayed home.

Maybe next time.
Why would they have stayed home as you call it? Home school as you call it had a ton of talent in the past only to underperform and exit in the first round. Coaching was terrible, and itís gotten worse with new coach. Also what happened to the rest of the kids who stayed home to play? They all left the program. 2 seniors this year (1 moved in this year) and a couple of JRís. So 2 kids might have won a couple of more games but not much more. Program is in the crapper. 3rd coach in 5 years. This one is the worse and will be gone soon.
Old 03-12-18, 04:51 PM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=RoughRiderSports;7008116]Because the flight of talent to greener pastures is ruining my hometown sports program. It's one thing to move along to a new school quietly. It's another to beat your chest every time your team does well. Had Cougar chosen to do the former, we wouldn't be having this conversation. He chooses to glow in the fact that his team has assembled the best talent in the state, which they have. Congratulations on that. Don't expect those of us in the wastelands of high school sports to sit on the sidelines and cheer you on.

How many kids have left Kent to private schools? Three, maybe four in the past 5 years? The flight of talent is not to somewhere but probably from somewhere. What has changed in Kent that would make kids leave? New coaches, special programs, new league? How involved is the older coaches with the middle school and youth programs? Stow, Lake, Wadsworth, Woodbridge, Hudson, Aurora just to name a few doesnt lose kids like Kent, Ravenna, Buchtel, East, and so on. Maybe these schools need to look in the mirror a little. Every program has attrition including Hoban. Kent used to be a very good program. What is your take on why they are now a wasteland?
Old 03-12-18, 06:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Because the flight of talent to greener pastures is ruining my hometown sports program. It's one thing to move along to a new school quietly. It's another to beat your chest every time your team does well. Had Cougar chosen to do the former, we wouldn't be having this conversation. He chooses to glow in the fact that his team has assembled the best talent in the state, which they have. Congratulations on that. Don't expect those of us in the wastelands of high school sports to sit on the sidelines and cheer you on.
Kids have been leaving Kent for years. 2 of the beat athletes in the 2017 class left for St Ignatus and St V. I didnít hear a word. 2 more in that class left for Stow and Woodridge their sophomore year. Why? And I didnít Hear anyone complain when the best athlete in decades came to Kent from a private middle school to attend At Kent? Fact is that kids come and go and 1-2 kids donít ruin a ďprogramĒ.

Pounding their chest on social media??? Really?? Thatís what grinds your gears that our decision to sacrifice $$ and send our son to a private school that affords him better opportunities academically and athletically. Sure they have more talent, they also play a much tougher schedule.

So if I get you correctly itís that we brag on the success of our kids?? Is that it? If we didnít boast of their success you wouldnít have a problem?
Old 03-12-18, 06:39 PM
All World

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Sat in the middle of the Hoban section. The crowd was not happy with the officials. Brian Roberts was incredible and fun to watch. Hoban returns bigs in Dom, Salopek and QE. Frosh Daryl Peterson could make impact (clearly the top player on the JV squad) at the wing. Snyder will remain a sharp Shooter from the outside. The Knights will need to find a true PG and develop some depth. Overcoming the loss of Their senior guards will be a huge hurdle.
Old 03-12-18, 07:09 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Kent used to be better in the past, I'm not sure what happened to them. Football was respectable once upon a time, I think they used to be good at basketball. I dunno, they seem to have had trouble ever since they left the ptc, for the suburban. It seems to me that Kent Roosevelt has far bigger problems then private schools poaching their talent. I mean, look at Green. Hoban and SVSM get all kinds of students and athletes from them. And yet in spite of it, Green's football team is holding its own...and getting better in the Fed, I think they knocked off a respectable Glen Oak team. And Greens basketball program has been pretty good as well, they held on pretty good against Hoban. Seems to me that kids are leaving Kent for a reason, and I'm not sure if I blame them.
Old 03-12-18, 07:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Kent used to be better in the past, I'm not sure what happened to them. Football was respectable once upon a time, I think they used to be good at basketball. I dunno, they seem to have had trouble ever since they left the ptc, for the suburban. It seems to me that Kent Roosevelt has far bigger problems then private schools poaching their talent. I mean, look at Green. Hoban and SVSM get all kinds of students and athletes from them. And yet in spite of it, Green's football team is holding its own...and getting better in the Fed, I think they knocked off a respectable Glen Oak team. And Greens basketball program has been pretty good as well, they held on pretty good against Hoban. Seems to me that kids are leaving Kent for a reason, and I'm not sure if I blame them.
You hit it on the nail. Why are they leaving is the question that roughridersports needs to answer.
Old 03-12-18, 07:30 PM
All Ohio

I asked the same question. Sounds like their problems are internal and or community based issues. ^^^^^. Doesn’t seem like Hoban is the culprit here.
Old 03-12-18, 07:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Akron St. Paul’s is closing

Some great people are graduates from that school!
I went to Saint Paul's when I was a lad. I was bullied a lot there, unlike my high school years at Coventry where I've had no problems making friends. I would say my experience with Saint Paul's is chiefly the reason why I struggle to have any respect for "a catholic education". Don't get me wrong, I am still a devout catholic myself, I have a hard time believing "a catholic education" means anything anymore. If I were to send my kids to a private school, Id probably send them to CVCA over SVSM, Hoban, or Walsh, and I say this as someone who has two sisters that went to SVSM.
Old 03-12-18, 08:57 PM
Varsity

ArmChairCoach is on a distinguished road
Truly sorry to hear that, I was bullied at public and then when i went to an area Catholic high school had no problem, which is why I in return have a bad view about public education. Each person has a different experience and walks down a different road in life. Glad to read that you are still a devote Catholic and it didn't turn you away from the faith. Godspeed.
Old 03-12-18, 09:44 PM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
What athletes or students came from Kent to Green, confused?
Old 03-13-18, 08:41 AM
Varsity

Quote:
That doesn’t make any sense to have a bad view on public schools just because you were picked on.

You would be surprised how bad it is at private schools with bullying...especially with top athletes getting away with everything!
Cool you disagree with me and I'll continue to disagree with you, that plus other things are major reasons why I have a bad view about public schools. It's my opinion just like the other poster stated theirs about "catholic education."

Maybe try to listen to other people before stating that their views are stupid, it will help in the long run. .
Old 03-13-18, 09:06 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Where did I say your view was stupid? Youíre acting irrational and jumping the gun.

ďI was bullied at public and then when i went to an area Catholic high school had no problem, which is why I in return have a bad view about public education.Ē

You didnít state your other reasons....
Not going to argue/ debate this over the internet.
Old 03-13-18, 05:02 PM
Junior Varsity

Iwouldlike to reply is on a distinguished road
It's not personal towards the people for choosing private schools. It's frustrating losing the best athletes to private schools. Privates have the luxury to not have to deal with that frustration as they are welcoming all the best to their schools. You can surely put yourself in the public's situation and understand why the publics are a little salty.
Old 03-13-18, 05:33 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
What athletes or students came from Kent to Green, confused?
Nobody transfers to Green. I was using Green as an example of a school that loses a lot of students to private schools, and yet manages to do ok athletically. I was using that to point out that Kent Roosevelts athletic woes is not because of their students leaving for private schools.
Old 03-13-18, 06:28 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Akron St. Paulís is closing

Some great people are graduates from that school!
Sad news, I used to walk down Mission to Brown St. every school day, until we outgrew our little bungalow on Sunset, and moved to Stow. Sorry to see it go.
Old 03-16-18, 06:43 AM
Varsity

Quote:
So 2 kids might have won a couple of more games but not much more.
You are selling your kid short, which is unlike you. He is likely to be an all-state basketball selection (at some level), and the other is also very good and will be a D1 football player. Did you ever think that perhaps, had you stayed, that some of the others wouldn't have left? And that you (along with the rest) could have helped turn the program around?