Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-29-17, 05:58 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
I've dealt quite a bit with the homeless. Most of the homeless I meet are homeless due to their substance abuse or mental disability. We did not have a homeless problem until all of the institutions for the mentally ill were closed in the early 80's. While the major causes are substance abuse and mental illness, I have met a good number of families that have become homeless due to their fleeing serious domestic violence or other causes.

Here is an example that is common but not involving drugs or mental issues:

Five years ago I met a gentleman in a family homeless shelter with which I was volunteering. This guy was a hard working individual who had previously worked, as did his wife, and they had been renting a three bedroom home for themselves and their two kids. They did not have much in the way of savings but they both had decent jobs, her's with benefits. Husband had a serious infection on his foot that needed surgery, which would take him away from his construction job for about a month. Since Wife's job appeared pretty secure, they decided he should go ahead and have the surgery even though he would miss a month of work. Right after he had the surgery two things happened; his Wife lost her job and their home was condemned by the county due to an old septic system. The county was requiring the owner to hook up to the sanitation sewer, something for which he was unwilling to pay. So, they suddenly found themselves without any income and without a home, with insufficient savings to pay a deposit on a new place. They would be fine just as soon as they received their unemployment checks, or Husband would be able to return to work, but the bottom line was, they would be homeless for a month or two. They did have a family member with a small apartment who agreed to take the two kids in and the Wife, but there was little room and Husband would have to sleep in his car. Husband was ok with this except that his Wife would not let him sleep in the car alone and refused to stay in the apartment while he would be sleeping outside. Having his Wife sleep outside in the car with him was more than he could stand so they swallowed their pride and sought help from Interfaith Hospitality. This guy was unbelievable. He was extremely social and embraced every opportunity to demonstrate to the staff and volunteers how much he appreciated the help. He worked with his kids to help them with their homework, cleaned up after every meal, made sure his wife and kids were as comfortable as possible and prayed, with his family in their room, and with the staff and volunteers.

This family received their unemployment checks and the Husband returned to work with Wife actively looking for a new job. They ended up being homeless for right around two months. When they got back on their feet, they made a modest, but heartfelt, donation to Interfaith Hospitality, in an effort to help someone else in the future.

I invested twenty-four hours of my time and the providing of part of the evening meal. What I got back from these folks far outweighed my meager investment.

Please don't lump all of the homeless together. Most of them have problems beyond their control.
Old 12-29-17, 06:26 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Trying so hard, for so little.
I rarely try
Old 12-29-17, 06:28 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Stories on homeless are mostly local, either an awareness piece like the homeless man who died over the weekend in Cincinnati or stats of increases of the homeless, I think itís funny that obcdf and lotr think the media should ignore these issues because it makes their favored party look bad.
I think the media shouldn't ignore it just because a democratic is in office.

Dishonest media smh
Old 12-29-17, 06:36 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Stories on homeless are mostly local, either an awareness piece like the homeless man who died over the weekend in Cincinnati or stats of increases of the homeless, I think itís funny that obcdf and lotr think the media should ignore these issues because it makes their favored party look bad.
Please e_p it's simple - either homelessness is a serious problem worthy of comprehensive coverage or it's not. By emphasizing homelessness during republican administrations but largely ignoring it during democrat administrations is playing partisan politics with a significant societal problem.
Old 12-29-17, 06:41 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Great insight, mojo.

I occasionally pick up an "alternative" publication from the public library that focuses on homelessness and mental illness. Regarding mental illness - as a slight aside, I learned that some with mental issues don't take their prescribed medications because being on the drugs is more difficult for them than not being on them. An eye-opener for me. Glad I read outside my comfort zone from time to time...
Old 12-29-17, 07:15 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Please e_p it's simple - either homelessness is a serious problem worthy of comprehensive coverage or it's not. By emphasizing homelessness during republican administrations but largely ignoring it during democrat administrations is playing partisan politics with a significant societal problem.
Maybe your bias comes into play here a bit.
Old 12-29-17, 07:22 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Old 12-29-17, 07:44 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
We've had eight years of homeless stories. 10years, 20 years. Not everything is a political conspiracy. We have increasing substance abuse, been at war like forever, and a widening pay gap. These lead to an increase in homelessness, which naturally will lead to an increase in stories.

We're talking a small percentage of the population but a very visible one. Housing the "homeless" has become a cottage industry. It provides a major opportunity for those la-di-das in the burbs to come in and raise "awareness," as it keep the shelters FAR away from THEIR communities.

"Begging" is a cottage industry. When we see people at the highway exit that NO ONE knows, with an "out of work, need to feed the kids" sign we know they're not from here.They look more dirty than dirt, it's a make-up/sun tan booth job. They're fishing for people driving through or lonely hearts. And then there's the car that goes around picking them all up at the end of the "workshift." lol

Homelessness is real, no doubt. But like everything, predators see a scamming opportunity, they will scam.
Old 12-29-17, 07:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
We've had eight years of homeless stories. 10years, 20 years. Not everything is a political conspiracy. We have increasing substance abuse, been at war like forever, and a widening pay gap. These lead to an increase in homelessness, which naturally will lead to an increase in stories.
My point is that much of the main stream media will play up homelessness during republican administrations and tend not to cover it near as much during democrat administrations. I'm surprised folks are even disputing this.

BTW, I'm not saying this is a "political conspiracy" I'm saying that one of the ways the left wing bias of the media manifests itself is in how they cover the issue of homelessness. It may even be subconscious but the coverage differs depending on what party is in the White House.
Old 12-29-17, 07:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Maybe your bias comes into play here a bit.
No, folks who monitor news coverage have noted this phenomena.
Old 12-29-17, 07:55 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My point is that much of the main stream media will play up homelessness during republican administrations and tend not to cover it near as much during democrat administrations. I'm surprised folks are even disputing this.
Of course you're surprised, but when you clearly look at everything through such a partisan lens you are always going to come up with a conclusion that satisfies your own bias.
Old 12-29-17, 07:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
No, folks who monitor news coverage have noted this phenomena.
Such as who?
Old 12-29-17, 08:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Of course you're surprised, but when you clearly look at everything through such a partisan lens you are always going to come up with a conclusion that satisfies your own bias.
Almost EVERY study I've seen that monitors news coverage has found a clear bias in favor of the democrats/progressives and against the republicans/conservatives. Virtually EVERY contentious issue that is covered by the media is biased in favor of the liberal POV.

It's not that I see everything though partisan eyes, it's that you and others are blind to the obvious bias.
Old 12-29-17, 08:01 PM
All Yappi

So does lotr favor 14red’s original post or did he just want to throw in his usual partisan media conspiracy bluster?
Old 12-29-17, 08:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
So does lotr favor 14redís original post or did he just want to throw in his usual partisan media conspiracy post?
Are you seriously saying that the claim of media bias is partisan? And for the record, one of the places where this bias is most clearly seen is in how the media covers the issue of homelessness.
Old 12-29-17, 08:10 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are you seriously saying that the claim of media bias is partisan? And for the record, one of the places where this bias is most clearly seen is in how the media covers the issue of homelessness.
If you have anything to say in response to the topic of the thread, please feel free to do so. You may very well have some excellent ideas on possible causes and/or solutions to this problem. I, for one, would be glad to hear them. After all, this is what the thread has been about -- at least for everyone except you.

Rather than hijacking this one, perhaps you could start a thread of your own where you can rail about one of your favorite topics -- media bias. Then those here can continue to talk about the problem of homelessness.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-17, 08:32 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
It's well recognized that in the medias eyes...
Dude, you throw apostrophes around like thereís no tomorrow but now you LEAVE ONE OUT? Youíre killing me here, lotr
Old 12-29-17, 08:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
First, youíve offered no proof. Second, your constant whining about it is clearly partisan. Third, do you favor 14redís view or not?
Old 12-29-17, 09:28 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I have no numbers that would cause me not to dispute it. And I haven't noticed any difference that doesn't show up every Winter, particularly if it's a cold one. There's always an uptick over Winter then the others causes I mentioned, you don't dispute. Add in that the state just published an accounting of homeless students that has made news.

So if there's a conspiracy, maybe it's Kasich's.
Old 12-30-17, 03:40 PM
All American

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Such as who?
Breitbart of course!
Old 01-01-18, 10:56 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
I've dealt quite a bit with the homeless. Most of the homeless I meet are homeless due to their substance abuse or mental disability. We did not have a homeless problem until all of the institutions for the mentally ill were closed in the early 80's. While the major causes are substance abuse and mental illness, I have met a good number of families that have become homeless due to their fleeing serious domestic violence or other causes.

Here is an example that is common but not involving drugs or mental issues:

Five years ago I met a gentleman in a family homeless shelter with which I was volunteering. This guy was a hard working individual who had previously worked, as did his wife, and they had been renting a three bedroom home for themselves and their two kids. They did not have much in the way of savings but they both had decent jobs, her's with benefits. Husband had a serious infection on his foot that needed surgery, which would take him away from his construction job for about a month. Since Wife's job appeared pretty secure, they decided he should go ahead and have the surgery even though he would miss a month of work. Right after he had the surgery two things happened; his Wife lost her job and their home was condemned by the county due to an old septic system. The county was requiring the owner to hook up to the sanitation sewer, something for which he was unwilling to pay. So, they suddenly found themselves without any income and without a home, with insufficient savings to pay a deposit on a new place. They would be fine just as soon as they received their unemployment checks, or Husband would be able to return to work, but the bottom line was, they would be homeless for a month or two. They did have a family member with a small apartment who agreed to take the two kids in and the Wife, but there was little room and Husband would have to sleep in his car. Husband was ok with this except that his Wife would not let him sleep in the car alone and refused to stay in the apartment while he would be sleeping outside. Having his Wife sleep outside in the car with him was more than he could stand so they swallowed their pride and sought help from Interfaith Hospitality. This guy was unbelievable. He was extremely social and embraced every opportunity to demonstrate to the staff and volunteers how much he appreciated the help. He worked with his kids to help them with their homework, cleaned up after every meal, made sure his wife and kids were as comfortable as possible and prayed, with his family in their room, and with the staff and volunteers.

This family received their unemployment checks and the Husband returned to work with Wife actively looking for a new job. They ended up being homeless for right around two months. When they got back on their feet, they made a modest, but heartfelt, donation to Interfaith Hospitality, in an effort to help someone else in the future.

I invested twenty-four hours of my time and the providing of part of the evening meal. What I got back from these folks far outweighed my meager investment.

Please don't lump all of the homeless together. Most of them have problems beyond their control.
Great story purplemojo, I'm sure it's true. But I'm also sure this is about 3% of the cases. If both of them had good jobs and benefits, and had some kind of savings, a medical emergency can be handled. Look, I know these things happen, but when you live paycheck to paychek, have no savings or spend ALL of your money as soon as you get it, why should taxpayers be held responsible for your transgressions? As for those homeless due to addictions...um yes, if you think of yourself that little that you'll put yourself in that spot, then I'm not feeling sorry for you. Being cold and hungry should be MOTIVATION to not let it happen to you. Instead, we just brush aside HOW someone becomes homeless and just begin handouts.
Old 01-02-18, 08:52 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
There is a couple of people I have seen begging on an entrance ramp to Rt 35 in Dayton. On warm days I saw them with a dog on a leash. When interviewed by one of the TV news and asked where they live they said they rent a place and the begging and odd jobs they get pays of it. I am sure that begging in cold weather is not fun, but when warm easy work and no taxes take out or paid at the end of the year.
Old 01-02-18, 12:21 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
There is a couple of people I have seen begging on an entrance ramp to Rt 35 in Dayton. On warm days I saw them with a dog on a leash. When interviewed by one of the TV news and asked where they live they said they rent a place and the begging and odd jobs they get pays of it. I am sure that begging in cold weather is not fun, but when warm easy work and no taxes take out or paid at the end of the year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ma...he_Twisted_Lip
Old 01-02-18, 05:02 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
Sadly, they probably don't pay taxes anyway, anything taken out would be given back with their return.

So this is ok? This is the life they want, let them be.
Old 01-02-18, 05:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Great story purplemojo, I'm sure it's true. But I'm also sure this is about 3% of the cases*. If both of them had good jobs and benefits, and had some kind of savings, a medical emergency can be handled. Look, I know these things happen, but when you live paycheck to paychek, have no savings or spend ALL of your money as soon as you get it, why should taxpayers be held responsible for your transgressions? As for those homeless due to addictions...um yes, if you think of yourself that little that you'll put yourself in that spot, then I'm not feeling sorry for you. Being cold and hungry should be MOTIVATION to not let it happen to you. Instead, we just brush aside HOW someone becomes homeless and just begin handouts.
*Source: 14redís butt.
Old 01-02-18, 09:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Almost EVERY study I've seen that monitors news coverage has found a clear bias in favor of the democrats/progressives and against the republicans/conservatives. Virtually EVERY contentious issue that is covered by the media is biased in favor of the liberal POV.

It's not that I see everything though partisan eyes, it's that you and others are blind to the obvious bias.
You didn't use the word "homelessness" once in this post. You claimed "folks who monitor news coverage have noted this phenomena" when challenged that there is an uptic in "homelessness" coverage when Pubs are in power. So show the links please. Debate honestly.

My PERCEPTION is, your claim isn't reality. So you've been asked to support that yours also isn't as you claim it's been "noted," we're presuming by unbiased and properly done study. I'm also presuming you read these BEFORE making the claim.
Old 01-12-18, 06:50 AM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
Red is an evil genious
Actually sounds more like a ďstable genius.Ē
Old 01-12-18, 12:12 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Great story purplemojo, I'm sure it's true. But I'm also sure this is about 3% of the cases. If both of them had good jobs and benefits, and had some kind of savings, a medical emergency can be handled. Look, I know these things happen, but when you live paycheck to paychek, have no savings or spend ALL of your money as soon as you get it, why should taxpayers be held responsible for your transgressions? As for those homeless due to addictions...um yes, if you think of yourself that little that you'll put yourself in that spot, then I'm not feeling sorry for you. Being cold and hungry should be MOTIVATION to not let it happen to you. Instead, we just brush aside HOW someone becomes homeless and just begin handouts.
Good jobs!?!? Most people don't have "good" jobs. A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck because they are part of the working poor. Someone has to man the register at the gas station, or clean the cubicle where you sit. It's not fun but its the only thing they are qualified to do. So when 1 gets fired or injured it can throw their world upside down.
Old 01-12-18, 12:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
Good jobs!?!? Most people don't have "good" jobs. A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck because they are part of the working poor. Someone has to man the register at the gas station, or clean the cubicle where you sit. It's not fun but its the only thing they are qualified to do. So when 1 gets fired or injured it can throw their world upside down.
Really, "most" don't have good jobs? Then we are failing. I disagree. Look, we get what we get. There are some who are just had some bad breaks, illness, etc. But largely, the homeless are there because they put themselves there.
When you work at a job be a GREAT employee!! Be the person the company can't do without. Sadly many do just enough to keep their job, then wonder why the get downsized or their company closes.
Old 01-12-18, 12:36 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck ...
Exactly, that's called having a good job.

The only people who think living paycheck to paycheck is a horrible life are rich people.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: