Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-18, 08:42 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
None of these songs from '73 were in my 3-CD set.

9. " Live And Let Die " - Paul McCartney? Just listened to the Guns N' Roses cover this morning from the Use Your Illusion I album they released in '91.
11. "Ramblin' Man " - Allman Brothers Band
12. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John My dad had this album on cassette tape and played it on a family vacation road trip or two.
Old 01-12-18, 08:51 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
I'll fade out soon on these as "life" responsibilities tore me away at the time. In other words I heard the songs but I didn't HEAR the songs.

7. Paul Simon

8. The Carpenters - have appeared on more than a few of our discussions.

10. Rhymin' Simon again - a giant even more so than I believe most people know.
Old 01-12-18, 09:35 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
None of these songs from '73 were in my 3-CD set.

9. " Live And Let Die " - Paul McCartney? Just listened to the Guns N' Roses cover this morning from the Use Your Illusion I album they released in '91.
11. "Ramblin' Man " - Allman Brothers Band
12. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John My dad had this album on cassette tape and played it on a family vacation road trip or two.
Mr. Slippery,

That 3-CD Box Set is becoming a well known fixture on these pages, I love it!
Your co-workers did some excellent planning on your behalf. I think that questions 1, 2, and 6 would all qualify to be in that box set !

9. "Live and Let Die" certainly had Paul McCartney in the band for this song from the James Bond movie of the same name. I need the name of the Band that is credited with this song.

11."Ramblin' Man" - Allman Brothers is correct

12. " Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John is correct. Your dad had great taste for a good road song/album.

JB
Old 01-12-18, 09:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
9. "Live and Let Die" certainly had Paul McCartney in the band for this song from the James Bond movie of the same name. I need the name of the Band that is credited with this song.
JB
I didn't know McCartney performed this song as part of a band. Someone else will have to bail me out on this one because I do not know the answer.
Old 01-12-18, 09:43 PM
All American

Mr. Slippery - you know this.
Old 01-12-18, 09:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Mr. Slippery - you know this.
I wish.

'73 was before my time. Somebody else will know it and respond accordingly.
Old 01-12-18, 09:48 PM
All American

Quote:
I'll fade out soon on these as "life" responsibilities tore me away at the time. In other words I heard the songs but I didn't HEAR the songs.

7. Paul Simon

8. The Carpenters - have appeared on more than a few of our discussions.

10. Rhymin' Simon again - a giant even more so than I believe most people know.

Bevo,

7. " Kodochrome" Paul Simon is correct. Did you know that " Kodochrome" did not chart in England ? Because "Kodochrome" was a registered trademark for color film, radio stations in Great Britain were banned from playing the song and therefore it wasn't eligible to chart.

8."Yesterday Once More" - The Carpenters is correct.

10. " Loves Me Like A Rock " Paul Simon is correct again. Ah, the old "Dixie Hummingbirds"

JB
Old 01-12-18, 09:53 PM
All American

Quote:
I wish.

'73 was before my time. Somebody else will know it and respond accordingly.
Mr. Slippery,

I'm still going to give you credit for Paul McCartney, but ask your parents for the name of Sir Paul's Band.

JB
Old 01-12-18, 10:00 PM
All American

Favorite song from Paul McCartney's other band - Jet.
Old 01-12-18, 10:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Favorite song from Paul McCartney's other band - Jet.

I'm going with " Band On the Run" and "Jet" a close second

JB
Old 01-12-18, 10:32 PM
All American

Yep; without the Fab Four this band would be viewed as a major group and, in fact, probably were.
Old 01-12-18, 10:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Mr. Slippery,

I'm still going to give you credit for Paul McCartney, but ask your parents for the name of Sir Paul's Band.

JB
Doubt my folks even know the band's name, so if someone else knows it, please give them their propers. My folks were too busy listening to Jethro Tull back then.

Aside from my dad introducing me to what would become my favorite band (Rush), the majority of our musical tastes differ.
Old 01-12-18, 11:25 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I wish.

'73 was before my time.
Ah, those darn whippersnappers. I salute your taste in Rush.

I see you left some memorable tunes for me:

2. " Also Sprach Zarathustra ( 2001) - Deodato
4. " The Cisco Kid" - War
6. " Playground In My Mind" - Clint Holmes

"Playground" has always been a personal favorite. When my sons were in kindergarten and first grade, I would take them to the playground at our elementary school after supper, the same school I had attended as a child.

I would sit and watch them climb and play on the same pieces of equipment I had played on 35 years earlier - the swings, the slide, the large concrete pipes, amazing they were still there - and I would hear that song in my head .......
Old 01-12-18, 11:55 PM
All American

Zunardo - your wistful recollections sound like what I did with my son and daughter. The best thing for me having kiddos was I got to play all over again - swim, play ball, shoot hoops, fish, etc. I am sure they enjoyed it but I liked it a lot also.

My 27-year old daughter were talking tonight about all of the times when she was a tyke that I would take her to the park in the winter and pull her around on her blue sled. One of the great things about mine and probably most little kids was that all I had to say was that I was going on an errand or whatever and they always wanted to come. When she was about two or three, I taught a class in the early evening at Tiffin University. She would hear me pulling in the drive and be standing at the door waiting on me. Great times... .
Old 01-13-18, 02:31 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
5. "Daniel" -- Elton John

Mr. Slippery,
Like the rest of the old-timers, let me take a shot at helping you with the name of Paul's OTHER band. As you may have determined, we all just know it clearly as it was part of our "young man" lives (You know, back when things didn't hurt all the time? lol).

Anyway, you're preparing the feast for your Super Bowl Party. Since you won't settle for less than the best (since you are the esteemed Mr. Slippery, of course), you will be serving delicious Buffalo ______ to your hungry guests. And I don't mean Chips !

Last edited by Monclova Steve; 01-13-18 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-13-18, 08:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post

Mr. Slippery,
Like the rest of the old-timers, let me take a shot at helping you with the name of Paul's OTHER band. As you may have determined, we all just know it clearly as it was part of our "young man" lives (You know, back when things didn't hurt all the time? lol).

Anyway, you're preparing the feast for your Super Bowl Party. Since you won't settle for less than the best (since you are the esteemed Mr. Slippery, of course), you will be serving delicious Buffalo ______ to your hungry guests. And I don't mean Chips !
McCartney was in a band called Chicken Dip? Buffalo chicken dip is pretty good stuff, BTW.

OK, I'm just kidding with you. The answer you must be looking for is Wings. The only Wings I knew of was that '90s sit-com on NBC which I found less than funny.
Old 01-13-18, 09:40 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Since this thread came from the old JJ site I thought I would report here that JJ is completely gone now. Up until a short time ago you were able to go back and look at the archived Posts etc JJ name is gone and it is now just Maxpreps. Even Now I still miss some of the people that were on that site even though I did not know a real name.
Old 01-13-18, 10:14 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
[B]...Note: ohiopup answered # 10 correctly this afternoon but I had already answered the question shortly after noon see post # 4821.

Sorry, but not too sorry when I read you were just returning from Hawaii ! That can not be used for an excuse in mid January for an Ohio based quiz. Were you shoveling snow in your floral shirt and flip-flops this afternoon ? lol.

After reading your post again, now I'm not sure if you were returning from Hawaii or just arriving in Hawaii ???? In either case
I am extremely jealous.

JB

I missed your post #4821... I am on station at Kaneohe Bay. It's a working
vacation for me; me working, the better half came along on (ala Connie
Francis -1962) v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n. I'll be back in Ohio around mid-March, just
in time for the State BB tourney.

:>---

SALT & stay warm.
Old 01-13-18, 10:47 AM
All American

19AL63 - I remember you from Huddle days. I would occasionally go back to the archived files. Lot of smart and funny people on there. Several of us have been "talking" for 17-18 years.

Ohiopup - you ran a list of summer songs a few days ago. If interested we had a massive summer song quiz at the end of the summer of 2016. That was early in our return so you may be able to run it down. Actually we had just restarted, I believe, in early August.
Old 01-13-18, 11:16 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
McCartney was in a band called Chicken Dip? Buffalo chicken dip is pretty good stuff, BTW.

OK, I'm just kidding with you. The answer you must be looking for is Wings. The only Wings I knew of was that '90s sit-com on NBC which I found less than funny.
Aah, yes -- the-never-to-be-forgotten band the Chicken Dips. I heard they could bring the house down with an encore of Poke Salad Annie (as another groan of "oh, Dad" goes up from the kids ).
Old 01-13-18, 11:46 AM
All American

"The gator's got your granny. Chomp... chomp, chomp, chomp. Everybody says it was a shame 'cause her mama was working on a chain gang."
Old 01-13-18, 12:12 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
No help from EG who's having an junior-senior moment vis a vis #3. I know it's in there somewhere!

Just listened to Also Sprach Zarathustra as I didn't recognize the title. Ah, yes! That jazzy instrumental. Cool "space odyssey" video.
Old 01-13-18, 12:22 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Aah, yes -- the-never-to-be-forgotten band the Chicken Dips. I heard they could bring the house down with an encore of Poke Salad Annie (as another groan of "oh, Dad" goes up from the kids ).
Don't forget the most famous band that Paul McCartney was in (even before Wings and Chicken Dip): The Quarrymen.
Old 01-13-18, 12:28 PM
All American

Sad to see that legendary broadcaster Keith Jackson has died at 89. Those opening live shots on a gray November days of numerous college football fields ( "You are looking at the Horseshoe in Columbus, Ohio) you knew it was a big, big game.

Another one of the best has left us. Hearing Keith Jackson made me think I was in England during the war listening to Churchill.

Whoa Nellie - RIP a giant of broadcasting - Keith Jackson
Old 01-13-18, 03:17 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
3] Neither One Of Us" (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye - Gladys Knight & the Pips

Had to look...
Old 01-13-18, 04:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Ah, those darn whippersnappers. I salute your taste in Rush.

I see you left some memorable tunes for me:

2. " Also Sprach Zarathustra ( 2001) - Deodato
4. " The Cisco Kid" - War
6. " Playground In My Mind" - Clint Holmes

"Playground" has always been a personal favorite. When my sons were in kindergarten and first grade, I would take them to the playground at our elementary school after supper, the same school I had attended as a child.

I would sit and watch them climb and play on the same pieces of equipment I had played on 35 years earlier - the swings, the slide, the large concrete pipes, amazing they were still there - and I would hear that song in my head .......

Zunardo,

2."Also Sprach Zarathustra" by Deodato is correct. The famous theme from the movie 2001:A Space Oddity. Won the Grammy for Best Pop Instrumental Performance also Deodato was nominated for Best New Artist but lost to Bette Midler. Most people have heard this song countless times and may even know the name of the movie it's from, but I would guess not two in a hundred would know the full title of the song and for those who may know the full title even less could spell it.

4. "The Cisco Kid" - War is correct. War originally was the backup band to Eric Burdon former lead singer of The Animals.

6. " Playground In My Mind" by Clint Holmes is correct. Thought this one might give some problems since Clint Holmes is one of our former One Hit Wonders. Something I find very unusual about Clint Holmes and that is the fact of how popular he is in Las Vegas ! Certainly he was no "A" list performer with a string of hits to live off of. However, quite a few years ago on one of our trips to Las Vegas, Mrs JB pointed out a sign to me showing that Clint Holmes was performing there and asked if I had heard of him and I told her yes and said, he only had one hit and I couldn't believe he had a Vegas act. Thought maybe it was another performer with the same name,

Couple of years later we are back in Las Vegas and Clint Holmes is still performing and then I read about him in of the brochures in our room, thought, amazing it is the same guy and he is still drawing crowds off that one big hit!

Flash forward 3 years or so, we are back in Vegas and now Clint Holmes is performing at an even bigger venue than Harrah's, I think he was at the Pallazzo where we had seen Jersey Boys back in 2009. The last time we were in Vegas we saw three different shows but still have never seen Clint Holmes perform. Some friends of ours were in Las Vegas last year and said his show was fantastic. Said it reminded them of the late Danny Gans who had a terrific act and no one outside of Las Vegas had ever heard of him. We had seen Danny Gans twice and if Clint Holmes is being compared to him then Mrs JB and I will plan on catching his show this spring. I am still amazed to learn he is so popular in Las Vegas, Maybe Branson,but Vegas ??
It's a crazy world. Now I just hope he is still performing there when we go out this year.

JB
Old 01-13-18, 04:49 PM
All American

Quote:

Mr. Slippery,

Monclova Steve,

5. "Daniel" by Elton John is correct. A controversy about this song is its' missing last verse. The song was written as a story but because of the length of the song the last verse was essentially deleted. People wanted to know who Daniel was. Bernie Taupin who co-wrote the song said it was the most misinterpreted song he and Elton had ever written. It was interpreted as a gay anthem and a family feud song among other things.

JB

Last edited by Johnstown Benny; 01-13-18 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 04:53 PM
All American

Smile

Quote:

My goodness what a great example of a total group effort in coming up with the band " Wings". Makes me proud to be an AARP Boy.

JB
Old 01-13-18, 05:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
I missed your post #4821... I am on station at Kaneohe Bay. It's a working
vacation for me; me working, the better half came along on (ala Connie
Francis -1962) v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n. I'll be back in Ohio around mid-March, just
in time for the State BB tourney.

:>---

SALT & stay warm.
ohiopup,

Thanks for clearing that Hawaiian working vacation up for me. If someone has to have a working vacation I can't think of a better place to have it than Hawaii !

Also impressed with throwing in that Connie Francis reference to v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n from 1962. . .peaked at number 9 in August of '62 as I was just getting ready to start my senior year in HS and my "vacation" would end the day after Labor Day. You have been around for a while bringing up that chestnut .

Also, I noticed that you list Grove City on your profile. Wondering if you still live there, were from there originally, or both. Reason I'm curious I am wondering if Ike Stage is still the mayor of GC. ? I was his Regional HR Manager for many years when he was Community Bank President with HNB.
Last I heard He was still mayor.

Enjoy that working vacation.

JB
Old 01-13-18, 05:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
3] Neither One Of Us" (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye - Gladys Knight & the Pips

Had to look...

EagleGuy,

Hey, it's OK you had to look, it's after 2:00 PM an perfectly legit.

I'm just happy to see another question finally answered ! We only have one more unanswered question left and I'll answer it if it's still unanswered in a few minutes.

3. "Neither One Of Us Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye"by Gladys Knight & The Pips is correct.

JB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: