Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-21-17, 11:11 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
The Fundamental Fallacy Behind the Concept of White Privilege

So, this morning, my wife shares with me a Facebook post from a "typical white woman". I happen to know the woman and her family fairly well, and I am familiar with the track that her life has taken.

In her post, she has a video that features a man in a park speaking to a large, racially diverse group of people in their late teens. He lines everyone up along a long starting line, and holding up a $100 bill, he tells the kids that they are going to have a foot race in which the winner will get that $100. First, though, there are some conditions.

The man says, "If you know both of your parents, take two steps forward.". Then he says, "If you come from a home with two parents, take two steps forward.". Then, "If you've never been forced to go without a meal, take two steps forward.".......... On and on for a bit with similar qualifiers, including education, until some kids are halfway to the finish line.

I'm sure that most of us by now have seen similar exercises or heard analogies trying to convey the same concept - maybe the most familiar being, "He started life on third base, and he thinks he hit a home run.". This is why the whole "white privilege" thing as typically presented, while often somewhat accurate in portraying a relative discrepancy that may exist, to me is ultimately a large, onerous pile of crap.

If the man in the video that I referred to wanted to be intellectually honest, and in doing so not doom his eventual argument in many circles from the beginning, perhaps he should have issued a different set of instructions to those kids racing for his $100 bill ?

How about, "If you don't know both of your parents, take two steps backward."? And, "If you live in a single-parent household, take two steps backward."? And, "If there was ever a second day without enough food in your house to have breakfast, take two steps backward."...........?

Or, for the common "third base" baseball analogy, how about, "We all have to step up to the plate. The problem is that some parents don't bother taking their kid to the park to even get in the game."

The truth is, in America, we have made nearly every opportunity available to every child via social services from government and before that, churches. In the course of pandering to certain groups, we ignore their personal responsibilities or those of their parents. The current popular presentation from the Left is a lie.

The woman that I referred to came from a very large family. She worked very hard to gain help in having her college education paid in part. She lost her great job post-market collapse and reinvented herself. She's put up with some crap from her husband and hung in for her kids. Her husband has rewarded her patience and faith in him. The husband came from meager means, and has worked just as hard. Are the kids blessed ? You bet they are - by their parents. Let's not pretend it's dumb luck, though. Do they have a better shot than other kids that were spawned by idiots ? Sure.

Is that "Privilege"? Nope. It's the fruit of hard work and self-sacrifice, in lieu of self-indulgence and short-sightedness.

When we return as a culture to looking such truths in the eye, maybe we can return to the advances in race relations that were made in 20th century America, and move on from the stupidity that we are currently mired in today ?

From where I stand, America has gone backward, and in large part because of such bigoted buzzwords as "White Privilege", and the purveyors of such concepts.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 10-22-17 at 08:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-17, 11:36 AM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
That.
Old 10-21-17, 12:06 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
What does your post have to do with being "white"?
Old 10-21-17, 12:08 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
I saw that video and thought it was one of the dumbest videos to see on Twitter.

Basically, the guy was saying that people make a bunch of choices in their lives that affect their children. Somehow, that turned in to "white privilege."

It was that video that was the spark for my racism versus culturism thread. There are plenty of people from both races that make very good decisions for their kids. There are plenty from both races that make bad decisions for their kids. Look at the culture that you are bringing up your kids in. Is it good for them? If not, make a change. Make sacrifices.

Graduating high school. Getting married before having kids. Staying together without getting divorced. Don't allow yourself to get addicted to drugs and alcohol. If the people that you surround yourself with live by those standards, you probably will too. If they live by other standards, you probably will too.
Old 10-21-17, 12:09 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
That's what the video was titled. All the kids that took several steps forward were white and the video implied that it was because white kids have "white privilege" that wasn't available to other races.
Old 10-21-17, 12:22 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
I would have those who do not live their lives as if others are out to get them, take four steps forward. There's some value in the video but no solution. There is also something to being born within the predominant culture as the skills to be successful are more inherent by definition. It's also easier to recover from prior "mistakes" when there's income in the house, so economy does play but shouldn't be looked at as the unclimable wall.

Most of those I meet whose kids are heading to "not successful," and by that I mean not self-sufficient ARE trying everything they know. But they are not as good at it as families with history of success, no one is teaching THEM how to do it, how to reverse from prior "mistakes." We have social programs of support but those are not always instructional.

We put all the concentration on trying to reach and teach the kids when the problem is sourced in prior generations. While that video can be instructional to the kid, the parent hoping to turn it around that looks at the video, can they see anything but blame, worry their kid will see blame, not solution?
Old 10-21-17, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Anyone would any sense would wonder wtf the parents are doing that the kids are still standing having never stepped forward.
Old 10-21-17, 12:46 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
We put all the concentration on trying to reach and teach the kids when the problem is sourced in prior generations.
Agreed. When I look at my grandparents (born around 1900), what I see is stable people who worked extremely hard. All their children did the same.

Trying to break a cycle is very tough, especially when the cycle starts with having children at very young ages.
Old 10-21-17, 12:46 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
That's what the video was titled. All the kids that took several steps forward were white and the video implied that it was because white kids have "white privilege" that wasn't available to other races.
Ahhh ok. You could take people of all creeds and colors and have different results in regard to who is "ahead" every time?
Old 10-21-17, 02:05 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
So, this morning, my wife shares with me a Facebook post from a "typical white woman". I happen to know the woman and her family fairly well, and I am familiar with the track that her life has taken.

In her post, she has a video that features a man in a park speaking to a large, racially diverse group of people in their late teens. He lines everyone up along a long starting line, and holding up a $100 bill, he tells the kids that they are going to have a foot race in which the winner will get that $100. First, though, there are some conditions.

The man says, "If you know both of your parents, take two steps forward.". Then he says, "If you come from a home with two parents, take two steps forward.". Then, "If you've never been forced to go without a meal, take two steps forward.".......... On and on for a bit with similar qualifiers, including education, until some kids are halfway to the finish line.

I'm sure that most of us by now have seen similar exercises or heard analogies trying to convey the same concept - maybe the most familiar being, "He started life on third base, and he thinks he hit a home run.". This is why the whole "white privilege" thing as typically presented, while often somewhat accurate in portraying a relative discrepancy that may exist, to me is ultimately a large, onerous pile of crap.

If the man in the video that I referred to wanted to be intellectually honest, and in doing so not doom his eventual argument in many circles from the beginning, perhaps he should have issued a different set of instructions to those kids racing for his $100 bill ?

How about, "If you don't know both of your parents, take two steps backward."? And, "If you live in a single-parent household, take two steps backward."? And, "If there was ever a second day without enough food in your house to have breakfast, take two steps backward."...........?

Or, for the common "third base" baseball analogy, how about, "We all have to step up to the plate. The problem is that some parents don't bother taking their kid to the park to even get in the game."

The truth is, in America, we have made nearly every opportunity available to every child via social services from government and before that, churches. In the course of pandering to certain groups, we ignore their personal responsibilities or those of their parents. The current popular presentation from the Left is a lie.

The woman that I referred to came from a very large family. She worked very hard to have help in having her college education paid in part. She lost her great job post-market collapse and reinvented herself. She's put up with some crap from her husband and hung in for her kids. Her husband has rewarded her patience and faith in him. The husband came from meager means, and has worked just as hard. Are the kids blessed ? You bet they are - by their parents. Let's not pretend it's dumb luck, though. Do they have a better shot than other kids that were spawned by idiots ? Sure.

Is that "Privilege"? Nope. It's the fruit of hard work and self-sacrifice, in lieu of self-indulgence and short-sightedness.

When we return as a culture to looking such truths in the eye, maybe we can return to the advances in race relations that were made in 20th century America, and move on from the stupidity that we are currently mired in today ?

From where I stand, America has gone backward, and in large part because of such bigoted buzzwords as "White Privilege", and the purveyors of such concepts.
Yup. Pretty decent post cabe.
Old 10-21-17, 04:52 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I've never really disagreed with the idea of "white privilege". Have white people had an easier go of things throughout our history? Absolutely. Should I feel sorry for that? Absolutely not.
Old 10-21-17, 05:36 PM
All Yappi

Like a lot of things the Progressives believe, it's almost true. What they see as white privilege is just wealth and culture privilege that exists anywhere in the world. What's pretty unique to the West, which they ironically despise, is its available to anyone in the world. All one has to do is possess valuable skills and assimilate.

Last edited by Crusaders; 10-21-17 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 06:55 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
I think I was about 13 years old when I learned that privileges are earned.
Old 10-21-17, 06:56 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
I've never really disagreed with the idea of "white privilege". Have white people had an easier go of things throughout our history? Absolutely.
How "easier" was it for my Irish ancestors when they were starving to death?
Old 10-21-17, 08:37 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
I was laughing at the "evidence" being used for white privilege - married parents, not being hungry, etc. It's evidence of people doing the right thing. It's evidence of morals and ethics. It's evidence of hard work. It's evidence of people caring for each other...... If I was black, I'd be incensed that the person making the point assumed that black people are incapable of having morals and ethics, that they don't care, that they can't do the right thing.......

The racist point isn't that there is white privilege, it's that black people are supposedly incapable of operating in polite society AS A RACE.
Old 10-21-17, 08:44 PM
All Yappi

They get away with it by playing the "it's not your fault" card.
Old 10-21-17, 08:44 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
How about placing blame where blame is due? Let's be honest, white priv came from some white apologist or a black. Let's call it what it really is "lack of effort by blacks". Like cabe pointed out. It's not that whites get a head start, it's just that blacks make choices that put their children behind. My wife works in a predominantly black elementary school, only a handful of kids entering kindergarten can name more than 3 letters!! Wtf!
Old 10-21-17, 08:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
How "easier" was it for my Irish ancestors when they were starving to death?
This really has nothing to do with the fact that white people have had it easier than other races throughout US history. Still, no one should have to feel sorry about it.
Old 10-21-17, 09:12 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
It's all part of The Plan.
Old 10-21-17, 09:14 PM
All Region

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
How about placing blame where blame is due? Let's be honest, white priv came from some white apologist or a black. Let's call it what it really is "lack of effort by blacks". Like cabe pointed out. It's not that whites get a head start, it's just that blacks make choices that put their children behind. My wife works in a predominantly black elementary school, only a handful of kids entering kindergarten can name more than 3 letters!! Wtf!
I have said it before and I will say it again: boarding schools.

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/fr...les/seed23.pdf
Old 10-21-17, 09:37 PM
All Yappi

Those SEED schools aren't feasible in most areas if they cost $40k per student (that seems ridiculously, alarmingly high but I don't know anything about how boarding school costs are calculated).
Old 10-21-17, 09:57 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
taking a point of view that it's a priviledge to have been born in this country, the analogy of white priviledge holds but it's weak argument for anything. It's a by definition argument.

If the demand is that some kid should give something up because of their "white" birthright then by definition, it becomes "non-white" priviledge. If the goal is only to get someone to "acknowledge" their priviledge well if it would shut someone up, I'd do it. Even if I ain't.

Nothing wrong with asking society to double check their pre-judgments but stupid to wait for everyone within that society to get it right before making a personal effort to achieve.
Old 10-21-17, 10:07 PM
All Yappi

Good post east.
Old 10-21-17, 10:14 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again: boarding schools.

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/fr...les/seed23.pdf
From the introduction of the article:

Subgroup analyses show that the effects are entirely driven by female students. We argue that the large impacts on reading are consistent with dialectical theories of language development.

Interesting.
Old 10-21-17, 11:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Thank you.

Not much. Yet, when whites enjoy the fruit of their own labors, it must have come to them easier, somehow, because today they are often portrayed as the beneficiaries of "white privilege".
Old 10-21-17, 11:07 PM
All World

Quote:
This really has nothing to do with the fact that white people have had it easier than other races throughout US history. Still, no one should have to feel sorry about it.
Some people of other races have had it easier than some white people.

We need to stop making generalizations about people based upon the color of their skin, or is that racist?
Old 10-21-17, 11:10 PM
All World

Graduate from high school.

Don't have kids unless you're married.

If you have kids, stay married.

Don't abuse alcohol or illegal drugs.

Only white people can do that?
Old 10-21-17, 11:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Given all the advantages or benefits extended to minorities today in America, it would seem that at this point in US history, no one has it easier than a bright black woman that values those things that breed success.
Old 10-21-17, 11:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

We need to stop making generalizations about people based upon the color of their skin, or is that racist?
Again, what you're saying is irrelevant.
Old 10-21-17, 11:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

It's bigotry, I think.

The Left's plan of giving easier tested entry for blacks into educational programs, or guaranteeing that a certain number of jobs or contracts must go to blacks - that is racist. Such policies assume inherent inferiority.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: