Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-28-17, 10:12 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Good update. Carrasco did his job, but four hits and thirteen strikeouts won't produce many runs - in this case, only one. 63 degrees in the Space Needle City. Bats will come alive! when it warms up, 1227.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-17, 10:15 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
I agree,when it gets HOT in C_Town so will the TRIBE...BAM!
Old 05-02-17, 10:45 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Indians a bad team.
Old 05-03-17, 07:56 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Indians a bad team.
"It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."
--- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-03-17, 10:02 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Indians a bad team.
Come on, Brian. You ought to know better. On the other hand, I must admit that the Indians have stunk the last two nights in Detroit. They've undone all the good work they did in taking four of six on the homestand.

Right now, the Tribe can't hit lefty pitching. Not even mediocre lefties. They're 3-8 when the opponents start a southpaw. Encarnacion was hitting about .138 against lefties before getting two hits off Norris the other night. Most of the other righty batters aren't much better. Guyer is a platoon guy who only plays against lefties, and he's been horrible. I keep waiting for him to snap out of his funk and become the player he was last year. It hasn't happened yet. Is Ryan Rayburn available? He could do better than that. They shouldn't be THAT bad vs. lefties. They've got too many guys with track records. At some point, Encarnacion will start hitting. I also think that Kipnis and Brantley (especially Brantley) should get more ABs vs. lefties. Yes, both are lefty batters, but they've hit lefties as well as righties their whole careers. I'll bet Brantley's got one of the top two or three BAs against lefties on this team. Yet when he sits out, it's always against a lefty.

I don't know what the Tribe should do about Trevor Bauer. But he hasn't had a start yet in which he's strung six good innings together. He was absolute dog crap the other night, and he took the Tribe out of the game before they even had a chance to compete. I've always defended Bauer because he's got electric stuff. I also liked the fact that he's always looking for some sort of edge. That shows me that he's a competitor. But his act is starting to wear thin. The edge that he's looking for now appears to be nothing but endless tinkering with his mechanics. He's in his fourth year with the Tribe, yet he still hasn't settled on either his repertoire or his delivery. The guy is still trying to find himself. The front office must be running out of patience with him.

Kluber's injury scares me. If he goes on the DL (the team website says that he may), the Tribe is in big trouble. Tito tried to downplay that possibility in his post-game interview, telling reporters that Kluber had back trouble in spring training and it worked itself out. But still... Right now, Carrasco is the only starter pitching well. The other starters will have to get a lot better than they've been for the Tribe to compete.

Last edited by Metacomet; 05-03-17 at 10:28 AM..
Old 05-03-17, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

If Kluber does go on the DL, Mike Clevenger will be the call-up. He's having a great season in Columbus. He's 3-1, with a 1.50 ERA. The other Clippers' starters are struggling big-time. Ryan Merritt is 2-2, and his ERA is something like 4.84. Shawn Morimando and Adam Plutko have been downright terrible. You don't want to know their numbers; they're that bad.

Among the position players, Bradley Zimmer is now batting .261, with three homers and eight RBI. He's still striking out a lot. However, every time I read a scouting report about Zimmer, it's always noted that despite his strikeouts, he's still a productive offensive player. He bats .260, but he produces HRs, RBIs and stolen bases. He's also considered a first-rate defensive outfielder.

Tyler Naquin and Yandy Diaz have thrived since being sent down. Naquin is hitting .396 in 14 games with C-bus. Yandy is batting .395, with nine RBI in 10 games. Each has a HR. Since the Tribe is hungry for a guy who hits lefty pitching, maybe they should take another look at Diaz.

Francisco Mejia is batting .348 at Akron. Much like Andy Allanson in 1990, Yan Gomes' future for the Indians may be in the past (for those who don't know, then-GM Hank Peters made that remark about Allanson after the Tribe traded for top catching prospect Sandy Alomar in '90. We all know how that turned out. ).

Last edited by Metacomet; 05-03-17 at 10:33 AM..
Old 05-03-17, 02:45 PM
All Yappi

The offense I so bad kluber to dl. , Indians slump will continue.
Old 05-03-17, 08:12 PM
All American

Great updates, guys. Hope Tribe holds on tonight.
Old 05-04-17, 09:03 AM
All Yappi

Carlos Carrasco gave the Indians six more strong innings last night, as the Tribe held on to beat the Motor City Kitties, 3-2. The Tribe finally beat a lefty starter, in this case Matt Boyd. However, the Tribe should chalk this win up to the pitching staff. The offense still looked like a limp dishrag when facing a lefty. Cleveland got all three runs in the fourth, when Santana and Brantley singled, Ramirez tripled and Kipnis followed with a sac fly. Indians totaled only three hits in the other eight innings.

More great work by the bullpen, though Cody Allen's lack of control made things a bit hairy in the ninth.

Tribe is supposed to play the Tigers this afternoon, but that's tentative. There's a 100 percent chance of rain in Motown today.
Old 05-04-17, 11:12 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Carlos Carrasco gave the Indians six more strong innings last night, as the Tribe held on to beat the Motor City Kitties, 3-2. The Tribe finally beat a lefty starter, in this case Matt Boyd. However, the Tribe should chalk this win up to the pitching staff. The offense still looked like a limp dishrag when facing a lefty. Cleveland got all three runs in the fourth, when Santana and Brantley singled, Ramirez tripled and Kipnis followed with a sac fly. Indians totaled only three hits in the other eight innings.

More great work by the bullpen, though Cody Allen's lack of control made things a bit hairy in the ninth.

Tribe is supposed to play the Tigers this afternoon, but that's tentative. There's a 100 percent chance of rain in Motown today
Game already called. No make-up date set at this time.
Old 05-05-17, 10:10 PM
All Yappi

Indians lost to royals 3 1e 1
Old 05-05-17, 11:11 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Indians lost to royals 3 1e 1
Agreed
Old 05-06-17, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Agreed
forp ching, galb!!
Old 05-06-17, 04:35 PM
All American

Euler's Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
forp ching, galb!!
Yes. 1e is not = "-". That would be forp ching galb!! e/-e or -e/e where e = ~ 2.718281828. Obviously, 1e = 1*2.718281828 is not = "-". Just as e represents an irrational number, it is irrational to use 1e to represent a hyphen.

Unless, of course, we are using Brian-speak. Then that could be correct, I suppose...
Old 05-06-17, 06:01 PM
All American

Royals lost to Indians: 3 - 1.

That's how it's done!
Old 05-06-17, 07:14 PM
All Yappi

Old 05-08-17, 10:48 PM
All Yappi

Another pathetic loss to Toronto.
Old 05-09-17, 09:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
The offense I so bad kluber to dl. , Indians slump will continue.
Despite last night's loss, despite the offensive slump, the Indians are still 12-7 in their last 19 games. The starting pitchers, except for Bauer, are really coming around. Bauer pitched well from the fourth inning on, but so what? Once again, he took the Tribe right out of the game in the early innings by getting himself into trouble, then serving up The Big Pitch. And to who? Goins and Smoak, a couple of hacks, beat Bauer last night. The Jays didn't have Donaldson or Tulowitzki. Encarnacion now plays in Cleveland. Joey Bats looks like he's over the hill. Toronto's current lineup is not formidable. But the Jays were hitting rockets off Bauer in the first three innings.

If Clevinger continues to pitch well, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Bauer who gets demoted to Columbus when Kluber returns. Francona is loyal to his players, but only to a point. He won't jeopardize this season to let Bauer find himself.

I'm glad that Yandy Diaz is back, even though he went hitless last night. The Indians must find someone who can hit lefties. I still think most of these guys will come around. However, no one is really hot right now. Even the Tribe's best hitters so far, Ramirez, Lindor and Brantley, are scuffling. All are now under .300. Encarnacion does seem to be swinging the bat better, so that's cause for hope. Kipnis has got to get going. And I'm certainly not sold on Chizz and Almonte as 2/3 of the starting outfield. While I still believe the Indians will try to solve their outfield dilemma within the organization, the possibility of a trade gets more likely with every oh-fer.
Old 05-09-17, 10:45 AM
All Region

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
I have been in a cave since Opening Day. In reading Brian's posts, I presumed the Tribe would be 0-31, or maybe 1-30 at best. Went to MLB.com and it turns out that this terrible team is 17-14 and in first place. Hmmmm.

They haven't played to their capability yet, but still in decent shape. Their bats will pick up and they will be fine. Kluber's healthy return is obviously the one key issue to worry about.
Old 05-09-17, 07:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
I have been in a cave since Opening Day. In reading Brian's posts, I presumed the Tribe would be 0-31, or maybe 1-30 at best. Went to MLB.com and it turns out that this terrible team is 17-14 and in first place. Hmmmm.

They haven't played to their capability yet, but still in decent shape. Their bats will pick up and they will be fine. Kluber's healthy return is obviously the one key issue to worry about.
LOL I believe Brian has shocked us with one positive comment this season! Still trying to figure that one out...

May will be better (hitting anyway) and June, July better yet, imo. As MC noted, Baeur is a concern. He's giving the Tribe four (nothing to brag about) to six innings, but that's more than offset by giving up six+ runs per outing.
Old 05-09-17, 09:49 PM
All Yappi

Fantastic pitching clinic by Carlos Carrasco tonight.

Thought about what the WS rotation against the Cubs would have looked like last fall if Carrasco hadn't been injured, and I think I may have cried a little....
Old 05-10-17, 10:52 PM
All Yappi

Losing series to blue Jays sorry metacomet.this team sucks.
Old 05-11-17, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Losing series to blue Jays sorry metacomet.this team sucks.
No, Brian. The first place Indians do not suck. But they have had a few crappy games lately. Last night, for example. Now it's Danny Salazar who's springing leaks. Salazar wasted a rare offensive explosion against a lefty starter, then closer Cody Allen blew the game in the ninth because he had no command. The Tribe lost, 8-7, after squandering a 7-3 lead in the early innings. Toronto starter Francisco Liriano, a quality lefty, yielded all seven runs in two-plus innings. The Indians got three RBI apiece from Jason Kipnis and Brandon Guyer, both of whom had been scuffling.

Salazar was flat-out terrible. Unlike Bauer, who sometimes settles down after struggling for an inning or two, Danny SplitChange just didn't have it last night. He's pitched poorly his last few starts. What to do if he continues to struggle? You can't send both Bauer and Salazar down; Clevinger is the only guy in Columbus who had been pitching well. Mickey Callaway has got to get at least one of them straightened out in a big hurry.

Allen was terrible last night but if anyone deserves a pass, it's him. He's been putting up Hall of Fame closer numbers so far this year. Still, Cody has been walking too many people lately. It finally bit him last night.

Yandy Diaz went hitless for the third straight game. He also looked awful in left field. The kid is obviously pressing. But Diaz was hitting nearly .400 at C-bus, and has torn up every league he's played in since he signed with the Tribe. The organization must show him patience, at least for a few weeks.

Abraham Almonte got hurt last night - an arm or shoulder - and it looked pretty serious. He may be headed for the DL. Tyler Naquin may be back by this weekend. Naquin was hiiting .386 in Columbus the last I'd looked.

Yan Gomes seems to have found his stroke again. I believe his BA is now up over .240. He was barely above .100 two weeks ago. Good for him. And good for the Indians. The Tribe is a better team with Gomes raking.

Last edited by Metacomet; 05-12-17 at 09:18 AM..
Old 05-11-17, 08:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Fantastic pitching clinic by Carlos Carrasco tonight.

Thought about what the WS rotation against the Cubs would have looked like last fall if Carrasco hadn't been injured, and I think I may have cried a little....
That and Baeur's finger injury. Guess it was finally time to erase the curse of the goat. We have the curse of trading Colavito.
Old 05-12-17, 10:38 AM
All Yappi

I haven't seen anything about Almonte going on the DL, so I guess his injury is not that serious. I was kind of hoping we'd get to see Tyler Naquin playing in right field. Because Naquin slumped at the end last year, it's easy to forget the great season that he'd had as a rookie. The kid showed me a lot. He's got a higher ceiling than Almonte's and at least as high as Chisenhall's. He just needs to learn to lay off the high fastball. Or make an adjustment and learn to hit it. I'd like to see if maybe Naquin can be the answer in right field.

I don't think we'll see Yandy Diaz in right, after all. The organization is taking baby steps with him, as far as learning to play the outfield is concerned. He's struggling big-time in left field. Right field may be too much of a challenge for him, at least until the off-season.

It would be great to find someone in the organization who can thrive in right field. Almonte is not the answer, and I'm sure the front office isn't so deluded as to think he is.

I'm already thinking about right fielders who may become available before the trading deadline. Hunter Pence, Kole Calhoun.... Feel free to add your favorites.

Last edited by Metacomet; 05-15-17 at 08:50 AM..
Old 05-12-17, 07:34 PM
All American

Jay Bruce, who is splitting time between right field and first base, may become available. See second story in this link:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/jay-bruce
Old 05-12-17, 09:20 PM
All Yappi

Indians offense totally sucks.1 0 loss.
Old 05-14-17, 09:05 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Cold baseball sucks,more wins when it warms up...BAM!
Old 05-14-17, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

70 yesterday and scored 0 runs.
Old 05-14-17, 08:07 PM
All Yappi

Cubs are under .500, brain. Do they suck ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: