Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-12-18, 05:02 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
The Blob (1958) - Nice mild summer night in Cincinnati last night. It was the perfect night for a drive-in movie, even without the drive-in. So, we watched The Blob, a perfect 1950's monster drive-in movie. The most important question posed by this film, and one I am sure you all want answered, is whether or not Helen Krump can run with Steve McQueen? The answer is most assuredly "no!". Steve McQueen,as Steve, in his feature film debut, is matched, romantically, with Aneta Louise Corsaut, of Helen Krump fame. The result is absolutely no chemistry. Except for Steve, the acting is atrocious. The special effects are not bad for the time and the film was actually shot very well and the direction is pretty good for this type of film. One thing you cannot help noticing is how they reveled in the rare use of color film for a B movie like this. All of the hot rods driven by Steve and his teenage friends in the film were very bright cartoony colors and the Blob itself grows more red as the film goes on.

The trailer says is all:

and the theme song is hilarious:

All in all, a fun summer film.

4.5/8
Old 07-12-18, 05:15 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
The Blob is great... I really loved the re-make as well.
Old 07-12-18, 09:56 PM
All Yappi

King Kong (1976)

Horror/Kaiju: It's King Kong so I am going to like it but this one I liked the least. Got a little emotional as instead of Kong climbing the Empire State Building in this one he climbs the Twin Towers. Jessica Lange plays the chick and she was a bit annoying meanwhile Jeff Bridges and Charles Gordin did a pretty good job.... 4.5/8
Old 07-13-18, 12:54 AM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
The Blob (1958) - Nice mild summer night in Cincinnati last night. It was the perfect night for a drive-in movie, even without the drive-in. So, we watched The Blob, a perfect 1950's monster drive-in movie. The most important question posed by this film, and one I am sure you all want answered, is whether or not Helen Krump can run with Steve McQueen? The answer is most assuredly "no!". Steve McQueen,as Steve, in his feature film debut, is matched, romantically, with Aneta Louise Corsaut, of Helen Krump fame. The result is absolutely no chemistry. Except for Steve, the acting is atrocious. The special effects are not bad for the time and the film was actually shot very well and the direction is pretty good for this type of film. One thing you cannot help noticing is how they reveled in the rare use of color film for a B movie like this. All of the hot rods driven by Steve and his teenage friends in the film were very bright cartoony colors and the Blob itself grows more red as the film goes on.

The trailer says is all:

and the theme song is hilarious:

All in all, a fun summer film.

4.5/8
4.5 out of 8 ... are you kidding me?! Back when we had the first VCRs that could record, my dad taped a rerun of this movie from his TV, diligently hitting ‘stop’ and ‘start’ each time a commercial break began and ended. He’s kept that VHS tape (and VCR) all these years and feels like The Man each time his grandkids tell him they watched this movie in his basement. My kid (now early 20s) just recently mentioned to me how much of an impression this movie made on all of them. Doesn’t multi-generational impact count for more (at least a 5?)?
Old 07-13-18, 12:56 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
King Kong (1976)

Horror/Kaiju: It's King Kong so I am going to like it but this one I liked the least. Got a little emotional as instead of Kong climbing the Empire State Building in this one he climbs the Twin Towers. Jessica Lange plays the chick and she was a bit annoying meanwhile Jeff Bridges and Charles Gordin did a pretty good job.... 4.5/8
Fay Wray and the 1933 original are the best, IMO. Funny how some people only know Lange from American Horror Story, lol.

Old 07-13-18, 10:05 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
4.5 out of 8 ... are you kidding me?! Back when we had the first VCRs that could record, my dad taped a rerun of this movie from his TV, diligently hitting ‘stop’ and ‘start’ each time a commercial break began and ended. He’s kept that VHS tape (and VCR) all these years and feels like The Man each time his grandkids tell him they watched this movie in his basement. My kid (now early 20s) just recently mentioned to me how much of an impression this movie made on all of them. Doesn’t multi-generational impact count for more (at least a 5?)?
You have a point and I almost gave it the additional .5 just for the theme song. It is a really fun movie. What if they had gone all out and gotten other actors on par with Steve McQueen? If they had gotten Natalie Woods or Sandra Dee to play Steve's love interest and Walter Matthau or Brian Keith to play the police chief it would have been a much better movie, but would it have been as fun? I don't think so. A good B movie is better than an average A movie.

You win.

5/8
Old 07-13-18, 10:31 AM
All Ohio

Old 07-13-18, 04:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Fay Wray and the 1933 original are the best, IMO. Funny how some people only know Lange from American Horror Story, lol.

No doubt, 1933 was the best King Kong.
Old 07-14-18, 11:36 AM
All World

Revolution (1985) - I had watched this film when it came out and thought it might be better the second time around. I was wrong. The film certainly had its good points. It was lavishly produced and very much accurate from a historical standpoint. The battle scene on the Brooklyn Heights was the best depiction of Revolutionary combat I have seen. All of these good points, however, are outweighed by the horrid miscasting and ponderous story line (a cross between The Patriot (2000) and The Last Mohican (1992)). As good as an actor as Al Pacino is he cannot overcome his modern New York accent. The only good performance was that of Donald Sutherland as a British sergeant major.

Bad casting, bad acting, bad score, bad story, good battle scene.

3/8
Old 07-14-18, 02:42 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Fay Wray and the 1933 original are the best, IMO.

Ma put me in the car and started driving. We stayed at a lodge in Yellowstone (back when they were actually motel costs I suppose). Movie night was a projector, pull-up screen and folding chairs in a small room. That just set little me up for the chills at bed time when the coyotes started howling.

Great flick and I agree. The Peter Jackson version wasn't bad, but only the original really tugs the heart strongs and still holds top spot.
Old 07-14-18, 03:54 PM
All Yappi

Friend Request (Germany-2016)

Horror: A college student feeling sorry for another befriends her online but quickly discovers she's a nut... 4.5/8
Old 07-14-18, 04:00 PM
All Yappi

Hang The DJ (UK-2017) ... 5.0/8

Well, this has nothing to do what so ever about a DJ being hanged. SciFi romance about an app that claims to have a 98.8 percent chance of finding your perfect mate by systematically fixing one up with relationships over a variable period of time.

Last edited by vamp2syd; 07-15-18 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 04:24 PM
All World

Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962) - A story of alienated youth in post-war Britain. It is easy to see how the UK has gotten to where it is today. All about class and culture, it is based on a short story that seems like the "Catcher in the Rye" of British literature.

The film was well done in showing working class angst in a gritty, realist manner.

6/8
Old 07-15-18, 06:32 PM
All Yappi

Bedeviled (2016)

Horror: Friends of a recently dead girl receive a strange sinister app. This was similar in ways to "Friend Request". The so called scares did not deliver but it was entertaining enough... 4.5/8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: