Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-06-17, 09:53 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
If I understand correctly, this is the current schedule:

@Cath
Open
Lincoln
Eds
@Ignatius
X
@Moe
WW
Open
LS

I know it won't be the popular opinion, but if they can get a 5-6 win team for Week 2, I'd leave it at 9 games for this year.
Finding a week 1 opponent shouldn't be too difficult, even if it means going out of state. Finding a week 9 opponent could be more difficult, but I'm with you. If you can't find someone that'll win 4-6 games for Week 9, just let it go and take the open week.
Old 12-06-17, 10:09 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Let's eliminate some teams for week 1.

Colerain vs LaSalle
Oak Hills vs Milford
Hamilton vs Moeller
Lakota East plays Walnut Hills
All of those were showdown games that got turned into 2 year deals.

Mason plays Springboro in week 1 usually.
Old 12-07-17, 11:54 AM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina View Post
Let's eliminate some teams for week 1.

Colerain vs LaSalle
Oak Hills vs Milford
Hamilton vs Moeller
Lakota East plays Walnut Hills
All of those were showdown games that got turned into 2 year deals.

Mason plays Springboro in week 1 usually.
I'd say Lakota West is open, but that failure Larry Cox is still inexplicably the HC, so I doubt he puts himself in position to get embarrassed again.
Old 12-07-17, 07:53 PM
All Region

ELDERfbfan is on a distinguished road
Any chance of getting a big name team from D2 in ohio? Hoban? Massilon?etc....how about a Columbus team?...KY teams? Cov cath, Ryle, Scott?....IN team like East Central or Lawrenceburg?
Old 12-07-17, 08:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDERfbfan View Post
Any chance of getting a big name team from D2 in ohio? Hoban? Massilon?etc....how about a Columbus team?...KY teams? Cov cath, Ryle, Scott?....IN team like East Central or Lawrenceburg?
I think Hoban has Ignatius Week 1 and Massillon has Mentor. They have to be careful not to overload the schedule, especially early. With no OH or Broward, there's zero let up in this schedule. Whatever happened to the Series with Benedictine?
Old 12-07-17, 08:43 PM
All Region

Elder4Life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yea I'd love if we could find a team from NE Ohio to get on there for Week 1. A lot of good names and I'd bet a few would be willing to sign 2 year deals. We don't have to have the same Week 1 opponent for 10 years straight.
Old 12-11-17, 09:21 AM
All Region

ELDERfbfan is on a distinguished road
From the main board looks like Mentor has a week 1 open date and Hoban has a week 9 open date. Elder should try to pick up one of those teams IF they are willing to play.
Old 12-11-17, 11:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
From the main board looks like Mentor has a week 1 open date and Hoban has a week 9 open date. Elder should try to pick up one of those teams IF they are willing to play.
You're wrong. Schedule is already stacked and it is a dumb suggestion.
Old 12-11-17, 09:24 PM
All American

Cincinnati Elder
08/24 N Unknown Opponent ()
08/31 A Indianapolis Cathedral (IN)
09/07 H Gahanna Lincoln
09/15 H Lakewood St. Edward
09/22 A Cleveland St. Ignatius
09/28 H Cincinnati St. Xavier
10/05 A Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/12 H Cincinnati Winton Woods
10/19 N Unknown Opponent ()
10/26 H Cincinnati La Salle

So this is what the main board is saying.

If you look at the rest you have a few results that could fit

Region 4
Milford
Oak Hills
Princeton

Region 3
Dayton Wayne
Springfield
Pick Central
Lancaster
Grove City Central Crossing

Region 2
Westerville Central
Lorain

Region 1
Massillon Perry
Mentor
Austintown Fitch

A lot of good options. Its just a matter of convincing a few of the local teams to a home and home. Milford or Princeton would be good fits, just have to convince them of that.

If the Gahanna Lincoln game is a 2 year deal, we could try to move that game to week 1 then find someone else in week 3, because week 3 has a bunch of openings too.

Week 9 is harder.

Region 1
Cleveland John Marshall
Cleveland Rhodes
Stow-Munroe Falls

Region 4
West Hi

With those options, I would rather go out of state or take a bye.
Old 12-11-17, 09:32 PM
All American

http://yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308858

If you go down to D2 Region 8 gives us some cool games for week 1. Anderson or Harrison. Week 9 gives us Turpin or Withrow.
Old 12-11-17, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Cincinnati Elder
08/24 N Unknown Opponent ()
08/31 A Indianapolis Cathedral (IN)
09/07 H Gahanna Lincoln
09/15 H Lakewood St. Edward
09/22 A Cleveland St. Ignatius
09/28 H Cincinnati St. Xavier
10/05 A Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/12 H Cincinnati Winton Woods
10/19 N Unknown Opponent ()
10/26 H Cincinnati La Salle

So this is what the main board is saying.

If you look at the rest you have a few results that could fit

Region 4
Milford
Oak Hills
Princeton

Region 3
Dayton Wayne
Springfield
Pick Central
Lancaster
Grove City Central Crossing

Region 2
Westerville Central
Lorain

Region 1
Massillon Perry
Mentor
Austintown Fitch

A lot of good options. Its just a matter of convincing a few of the local teams to a home and home. Milford or Princeton would be good fits, just have to convince them of that.

If the Gahanna Lincoln game is a 2 year deal, we could try to move that game to week 1 then find someone else in week 3, because week 3 has a bunch of openings too.

Week 9 is harder.

Region 1
Cleveland John Marshall
Cleveland Rhodes
Stow-Munroe Falls

Region 4
West Hi

With those options, I would rather go out of state or take a bye.
West Hi would be nice. My whole point is they don't need to kill themselves loading up the schedule. Missing the playoffs was a fluke, no need to overdo the schedule to get back in.

My ideal scenario is Milford week 1, West Hi week 9. That's 2 wins and 7+ wins b/w the both of them. Much better than the 1 total win b/w OH & Broward
Old 12-12-17, 05:32 PM
All Region

typeman
I heard a team from Arizona in week 9.
Old 12-12-17, 05:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeman View Post
I heard a team from Arizona in week 9.
Chandler and Hamilton are the big dogs out there. Brophy is the only large catholic school in the area and they're not very good at the moment.
Old 12-13-17, 07:54 AM
All Ohio

CHS~Irish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One of two rumors are true. Either the Showdown is done or Oak Hills is off the schedule. This year week 2 was played on September 2nd. If you remember That game was suppose to be September 1st, but got moved for "rain". In years past the season has started on August 24th, making week 2 August 31st, as happened in 2012. 2011 started on August 19th, 2008 started on August 23rd, so I am thinking this is a week 2 game meaning the Oak Hills game is done because of the GMC 8 game schedule.

In 2009 the season didn't start till August 29th, so It could be the showdown too.

Cathedral is a good team. They are sort of in the same boat Elder is in, they need to travel to get games. This year they went to Louisville, Detroit, and Columbus before playing a game in Indy. They also came to Cincy twice to play X and Ryle. Indiana usually starts a week before Ohio so this would probably be game 3 for them. My boss's kids went to Cathedral, so I keep an eye on them.

Week 1 is August 24, 2018 http://ohsaa.org/OpenDates#2018
Yes Cincinnati Elder will be a Week 3 game for Cathedral.

Their Schedule is:

Aug. 17 Noblesville {6A} 7:00 pm
Aug. 24 at Brownsburg {6A} 7:00 pm
Aug. 31 Cincinnati Elder (Ohio) 7:00 pm
Sep. 7 at Indianapolis Chatard {3A} 7:00 pm
Sep. 14 Cincinnati St. Xavier (Ohio) 7:30 pm
Sep. 21 at Jeffersonville {6A} 7:00 pm
Sep. 28 Ryle Union (Ky.) 7:30 pm
Oct. 6 at Cleveland St. Edward's (Ohio) 7:00 pm
Oct. 12 at Center Grove {6A} 7:00 pm

This past year they were definitely on the road. They actually didn't have a home game until week 6 against Jeffersonville. They had 3 total home games (Jeffersonville, St. Edward, and Center Grove). They only played 3 games against Indiana teams over the season this past year (Chatard, Jeffersonville, and Center Grove).

It will be an interesting year for Cathedral next year. Their Head Coach Rick Streiff (10 State Titles) retired soon after the season ended (he will continue to be a teacher at the school). A couple of weeks later they hired an Alumni and former Assistant Coach in Bill Peebles. Coach Peebles had done a terrific job turning around Southport over a 10 year period and spent the last 2 years at Lawrence Central making them a contender in the MIC (conference with Ben Davis, Warren Central, Carmel, and Center Grove). He was Offensive CoOrdinator at Cathedral the last time Elder and Cathedral were playing several years back.
Old 12-13-17, 10:14 AM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Milford seems like the logical choice given the connections with Grippa. It would be good for Milford to play better competition considering their league as well.

I would love to see West High on the schedule as well. They typically win 3 or 4 games a year and are D1.
Old 12-13-17, 10:54 AM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
Milford seems like the logical choice given the connections with Grippa. It would be good for Milford to play better competition considering their league as well.

I would love to see West High on the schedule as well. They typically win 3 or 4 games a year and are D1.
I agree that West Hi being back on the schedule would benefit Elder (less of a gauntlet of a schedule, guaranteed (for the most part) win and Harbins, don't have to travel).

But how does this game benefit West Hi? Is there usually some type of payment with these type of games? Otherwise, why would they do it?

Scheduling is alot like dating. You can like a girl, but if she doesn't like you back, you're not playing ball.
Old 12-13-17, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
I agree that West Hi being back on the schedule would benefit Elder (less of a gauntlet of a schedule, guaranteed (for the most part) win and Harbins, don't have to travel).

But how does this game benefit West Hi? Is there usually some type of payment with these type of games? Otherwise, why would they do it?

Scheduling is alot like dating. You can like a girl, but if she doesn't like you back, you're not playing ball.
They could play the game at Elder every year and split the profit down the middle. I'm sure Elder is paying the same rate if not more for the teams flying in from Florida.
Old 12-13-17, 11:23 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They could play the game at Elder every year and split the profit down the middle. I'm sure Elder is paying the same rate if not more for the teams flying in from Florida.
Pretty sure that's how it was the last few years Elder did play West Hi. Last 3-4 years were all at Elder and I'm sure there was some sort of deal whether 50/50 split or 60/40.
Old 12-13-17, 11:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Pretty sure that's how it was the last few years Elder did play West Hi. Last 3-4 years were all at Elder and I'm sure there was some sort of deal whether 50/50 split or 60/40.
As long as West High stays in D1 I think they would love to play the game. They know they aren't making the D1 playoffs so it's just a much needed money game for them. They also play Elder, Moe, and LaSalle in basketball for the money.
Old 12-13-17, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Exactly. Might have to hold off on West Hi for another year, given the Ignatius and Lincoln series are ending.
Old 12-13-17, 11:53 AM
All American

Would seem to be a good week 1 fit. Get some positive momentum going early in the year.
Old 12-13-17, 12:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Would seem to be a good week 1 fit. Get some positive momentum going early in the year.
Milford or WH?
Old 12-13-17, 12:19 PM
All American

WH...going forward over next 5-10 years. New tradition. WTH.
Old 12-13-17, 02:50 PM
All Region

purpleandwhite
Wh
Old 12-18-17, 01:16 PM
Freshman

AZElder85 is on a distinguished road
I've heard the rumor of Elder playing a team from here in Phoenix too and have done some checking with a friend who covers high school football in Arizona. He thinks it's probably Peoria Centennial. They're another big suburban school like those in the GMC. They won the 5A state title this year and beat St. Thomas Aquinas from Florida.

Chandler Hamilton traveled to Ohio to play Massillon a few years ago, but I think they're unlikely here. They're having MAJOR issues right now with a hazing scandal, including lawsuits, their coach being fired and possible criminal charges.

Chandler High School could also be a possible here. They hosted IMG Academy from Florida this past season and lost 27-14.
Old 12-18-17, 01:51 PM
All Yappi

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZElder85 View Post
I've heard the rumor of Elder playing a team from here in Phoenix too and have done some checking with a friend who covers high school football in Arizona. He thinks it's probably Peoria Centennial. They're another big suburban school like those in the GMC. They won the 5A state title this year and beat St. Thomas Aquinas from Florida.

Chandler Hamilton traveled to Ohio to play Massillon a few years ago, but I think they're unlikely here. They're having MAJOR issues right now with a hazing scandal, including lawsuits, their coach being fired and possible criminal charges.

Chandler High School could also be a possible here. They hosted IMG Academy from Florida this past season and lost 27-14.
That would be a terrible addition to the schedule. You want to fit that team in b/w WW and LS? Anyone who thinks its a good idea is a moron. That's a good way to get key players hurt down the stretch, just use it as a bye week.
Old 12-18-17, 02:09 PM
All American

10-15 years ago, I'd say go for it. The football academies didn't really exist yet. But in today's climate, Elder can't compete with the football academies (or schools like them).

No clue if the above is true, but damn, the schedule is already difficult enough. These type of games could be playoff killers.
Old 12-18-17, 02:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
10-15 years ago, I'd say go for it. The football academies didn't really exist yet. But in today's climate, Elder can't compete with the football academies (or schools like them).

No clue if the above is true, but damn, the schedule is already difficult enough. These type of games could be playoff killers.

Seriously, tell me how it makes any friggin sense to complain about playing teams in your league that "recruit" then voluntarily scheduling an OOS that does it blatantly bc it's within their state rules? I'm probably getting way too worked up over something that's just been guessed at by someone outside the program.

Edit:

Doing the very briefest of research, Centennial plays this crappy Willow Ridge team every year during Ohio's Week 9. If Elder didn't have Cathedral, Eds, Ignatius, and WW as part of the non conf schedule, I'd say go for it. However, the schedule is already loaded, so what would there be to gain by playing this game?

Last edited by Descartes; 12-18-17 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-20-17, 06:30 AM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
SO La Salle signed up with International School of Broward for their week 9? lol.
Old 12-20-17, 08:58 AM
All American

cinelder80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Seriously, tell me how it makes any friggin sense to complain about playing teams in your league that "recruit" then voluntarily scheduling an OOS that does it blatantly bc it's within their state rules? I'm probably getting way too worked up over something that's just been guessed at by someone outside the program.

Edit:

Doing the very briefest of research, Centennial plays this crappy Willow Ridge team every year during Ohio's Week 9. If Elder didn't have Cathedral, Eds, Ignatius, and WW as part of the non conf schedule, I'd say go for it. However, the schedule is already loaded, so what would there be to gain by playing this game?

What's annoying is during a good discussion of potential opponents you have to go to the name calling route like a 12 year old girl. Grow the hell up!