Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Elks 19 50.00%
Knights 19 50.00%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-18, 09:25 PM
Varsity

FredG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Because a large amount of their fanbase believes they're too good to play a smaller division team even though year in and year out they're one of the better teams in the state. They bring more harbin points than most DI schools in the area but they're scared to death to lose. A lot of fans are under the assumption they're an elite program in the state when they aren't even that in the Dayton area.
Your still whining and crying about going to D3and never getting past trotwood in tourney play. Oh look at us, we are Alter, we win at Div 4. We so awesome...Not no mo
Old 07-08-18, 09:35 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
For me, it'd just make sense for both teams to try to work towards an annual game. I know Alter already has Fairmont but up until recently, the Firebirds didn't really offer much more than a game in front of a large early season crowd.

Centerville vs Alter would be one of the biggest non conference games in the Dayton area year in and year out. A loss counts the same no matter who it's against. A win get's them points and the possibility that over time some of the Cville kids stay with their home district in HS.
Old 07-09-18, 10:15 AM
All American

InTheDarke is on a distinguished road
Play the damn game.
Old 07-09-18, 10:29 AM
All American

King Arthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
A win get's them points and the possibility that over time some of the Cville kids stay with their home district in HS.
How many Centerville kids are on Alter's roster that didn't go through a pararochial feeder school (Incarnation)?
Old 07-09-18, 11:27 AM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Play the GAME!

How many times has Centerville played some non-conference/conference game and beat a team that finished 0-10 or maybe had a record or 1-9 or 2-8 which screwed the ELKS out of a playoff birth. My point is this, you beat a DIII All-Star Alter team who will then go on to win 8 or 9 games is worth more points than the 2 schools Centerville plays every year who can't hardly win a game to save their lives.

On the other hand, if the ELKS lose, so be it! Like someone else said, a loss is a loss regardless of who you lose to. Therefore play the game and do something great with the extra revenue.
Old 07-09-18, 11:51 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I am dumbfounded here. Why would Centerville not want this game. Full gate, Tons of Harbins.... I doubt they have to worry about losing kids to Alter unlike Wayne would with CJ. Are they actually afraid that they could lose this game? That would never happen. Even a down Centerville team should be able to handle Alter. I know Wayne would love to host CJ if they had open dates on the same week.
Old 07-09-18, 11:53 AM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Fear of loosing forces people to make irrational decisions. It warps the mind sometimes.
Old 07-09-18, 12:36 PM
Varsity

FredG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by playboi12 View Post
Fear of loosing forces people to make irrational decisions. It warps the mind sometimes.
Loosing or losing? Wow
Old 07-09-18, 12:47 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Loosing or losing? Wow
Losing* there, I fixed it for you. Are you Happy? I have fat fingers and I was typing from a phone. What do you want me to say? Hopefully that did not take away from the substance of the post.
Old 07-09-18, 04:16 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Your still whining and crying about going to D3and never getting past trotwood in tourney play. Oh look at us, we are Alter, we win at Div 4. We so awesome...Not no mo
Uh, I'm from Lebanon. Simply making the playoffs is big for them. I do have a State Championship ring from my playing days though. I think Alter vs Centerville is good for football in the Dayton area. And I happen to be a HS football fan who would enjoy the matchup.

I'm not sure where you see this being a bad thing for the Elks. You won't give any reasoning.
Old 07-09-18, 04:45 PM
All American

unbiased1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Many reasons were given......

Lose 17 starters

Might start a freshman qb for first time in history

Have 1 D1 player on defense.....going to Akron.

Have 1 D1 player on offense & he has never played a down

*****most importantly, if it’s a 2 or 4 year deal, then it’s a done deal.
Old 07-09-18, 05:02 PM
All American

^ So you have a minimum standard for the composition of the Centerville football team to play Alter? Curious... what is that standard specifically. I suspect your minimal standard would have been blown away in 2010.

And, a 2-4 year deal would allow you to comfortably lower that standard for play this year? So redemption potential factors into your criteria?
Old 07-09-18, 06:08 PM
All American

Always a di** response from the King.

No high or low minimum to play or not play. You Alter fans kill me. No school in the Dayton area over the last 30+ years has played a harder list or number of ranked teams. Would you ever classify Ciach Gregg or Coach Ullery to run from anyone??????

Please remember 2 things. 1, this was just dropped into both teams lap 2 weeks ago. 2, unless you have a recording of Brent Ullery saying it’s not happening, be not heard that from anyone at Centerville.

So him/AD taking some time to find a D1 opponent or a winnable game is not a big deal.

You have 1 or 2 teams on your schedule that will play in week 11. The Elks have 6, so I think it’s smart to give a young and inexperienced team a winnable game.

As far as 2 or 4, I stated is was not a good situation for Alter in 2010. I think it’s better for both schools to play multiple times and even if it’s every 3 or 4 years. Does not have to be consecutive.
Old 07-09-18, 06:20 PM
All Region

HSFB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased1 View Post
Many reasons were given......

Lose 17 starters

Might start a freshman qb for first time in history

Have 1 D1 player on defense.....going to Akron.

Have 1 D1 player on offense & he has never played a down

*****most importantly, if itís a 2 or 4 year deal, then itís a done deal.
I think Ryan Hawk started at QB toward the end of his freshman year.
Old 07-09-18, 06:56 PM
All American

I don’t think that’s correct, he may have come in at the end of the last game or 2. But he did not start.

Pretty sure he even shared the duties at the start of his sophomore year.
Old 07-09-18, 07:31 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Heard Centerville tried reaching out to a team from Maryland to play... Centerville and Alter should be a game for week 3... Alter gave the green light. Now, they are just waiting on Ullery...
Old 07-09-18, 07:37 PM
All Region

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
How many Centerville kids are on Alter's roster that didn't go through a pararochial feeder school (Incarnation)?
I haven't seen the Alter roster this year, but I don't think there is any kid from Centerville that did not go through Incarnation. Typically, Incarnation kids stay at Alter and Centerville public school kids stay at Centerville.
Old 07-09-18, 07:49 PM
All American

unbiased,

There's not really any other options for Centerville at this point. ADs can easily search open dates and I'm sure they knew right away that it was either a team from out of state, Alter or a even lower division team.

I've said all along that I wanted it to be a yearly rivalry and thought it made sense for both. I don't think anyone's said that Centerville has really ever shied away from anyone outside of Alter.

And you're the one who keeps pointing to possible skill/experience reasons as why Centerville shouldn't take this game. So you're perfectly fine playing Alter if you know you're the superior team?
Old 07-09-18, 08:05 PM
All American

Quote:
Always a di** response from the King.

No high or low minimum to play or not play. You Alter fans kill me. No school in the Dayton area over the last 30+ years has played a harder list or number of ranked teams. Would you ever classify Ciach Gregg or Coach Ullery to run from anyone??????

Please remember 2 things. 1, this was just dropped into both teams lap 2 weeks ago. 2, unless you have a recording of Brent Ullery saying itís not happening, be not heard that from anyone at Centerville.

So him/AD taking some time to find a D1 opponent or a winnable game is not a big deal.

You have 1 or 2 teams on your schedule that will play in week 11. The Elks have 6, so I think itís smart to give a young and inexperienced team a winnable game.

As far as 2 or 4, I stated is was not a good situation for Alter in 2010. I think itís better for both schools to play multiple times and even if itís every 3 or 4 years. Does not have to be consecutive.
Are you done whining now?
Old 07-09-18, 08:07 PM
All American

I’m amazed how hard this is for people to read.

I just said above that I don’t think that Centerville has said no.

This can’t be this difficult to understand that “team A”, has lost 17 starters, which includes the qb, both starting rb’s, top 4 wr’s and all but 1 defensive playmakers. They have a very difficult schedule already, and will potentially start a freshman qb.

All that team is doing is looking at their best option. Pretty sound thinking.

Being superior has nothing to do with it, that’s why I have said from post #1 on this subject it should be ongoing. In addition, I even said skip a few years, play random years, or every 4......that’s what would be fair to both programs.

Alter would be doing the same thing if this was 2019, and they lost Bazelak, Bivens, and that group. I would understand and know they would be discussing the scenario of losing to Fairmont and & Centerville.....would that prevent us from getting to week 11.
Old 07-09-18, 08:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Iím amazed how hard this is for people to read.

I just said above that I donít think that Centerville has said no.

This canít be this difficult to understand that ďteam AĒ, has lost 17 starters, which includes the qb, both starting rbís, top 4 wrís and all but 1 defensive playmakers. They have a very difficult schedule already, and will potentially start a freshman qb.

All that team is doing is looking at their best option. Pretty sound thinking.

Being superior has nothing to do with it, thatís why I have said from post #1 on this subject it should be ongoing. In addition, I even said skip a few years, play random years, or every 4......thatís what would be fair to both programs.

Alter would be doing the same thing if this was 2019, and they lost Bazelak, Bivens, and that group. I would understand and know they would be discussing the scenario of losing to Fairmont and & Centerville.....would that prevent us from getting to week 11.
Not buying it.

Wayne lost a ton as well and had a Canadian team coming in to eat up the Harbins as no one was available. Hoban became available, Canadian team was dropped, Hoban now on the schedule. Wayne also has a tough schedule.

Wayne also attempted to get Alter on the schedule many many years ago. Both teams had opponents drop on them... in Wayne's case is was Massillon that bounced.... Wayne contacted Alter but Alter said no. Alter had at that time a long winning streak. They opted to play a way game up near Toledo instead.

I can understand Alter not wanting to pick up a game against a D1 power house but I can not under stand a D1 so called power house not wanting to play Alter??? Makes no sense no matter how one spins it.
Old 07-09-18, 09:00 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Not buying it.

Wayne lost a ton as well and had a Canadian team coming in to eat up the Harbins as no one was available. Hoban became available, Canadian team was dropped, Hoban now on the schedule. Wayne also has a tough schedule.

Wayne also attempted to get Alter on the schedule many many years ago. Both teams had opponents drop on them... in Wayne's case is was Massillon that bounced.... Wayne contacted Alter but Alter said no. Alter had at that time a long winning streak. They opted to play a way game up near Toledo instead.

I can understand Alter not wanting to pick up a game against a D1 power house but I can not under stand a D1 so called power house not wanting to play Alter??? Makes no sense no matter how one spins it.
I wonder if that was the year Alter picked up Napoleon, like around 2011?...
Old 07-09-18, 09:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
I wonder if that was the year Alter picked up Napoleon, like around 2011?...
Sounds right, was that in week 3? Wayne ended up playing a Canadian team instead.
Old 07-09-18, 09:20 PM
All American

Vamps, it’s pretty obvious they will be playing the game.....this late in Summer.

Also, the warriors are returning a 3 year starter at QB, 2 of the top 5 wr’s in the league, and a good amount of starters. Just McKee, Mullins, and Victoria alone are a great start for Wayne. You obviously know there’s no comparison between that and what the elks are returning.

The Hoban game is a great pick up! What is the COF team like? Max preps says they play 2 preview games, but they have a stacked schedule.
Old 07-09-18, 11:35 PM
All American

Quote:
The Hoban game is a great pick up! What is the COF team like? Max preps says they play 2 preview games, but they have a stacked schedule.
Doesn't appear COF will actually field a team. According to twitter they only have two coaches and only two players list themselves as team members. There's been some rumor that a few kids declared academically ineligible at their previous schools may go there. Their website provides no way to contact any staff or apply for the school. Looks like 11 schools will have open dates and it will cause damage that will keep the school from ever getting off the ground.
Old 07-12-18, 07:30 PM
All Region

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Official yet?

I haven't heard anything official yet but did find out that both JV and Frosh play Alter on Saturday, September 8th. I am not sure if that was already scheduled since I am guessing the Canadien team wasn't going to bring a JV and Frosh team.
Old 07-13-18, 11:02 AM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
I haven't heard anything official yet but did find out that both JV and Frosh play Alter on Saturday, September 8th. I am not sure if that was already scheduled since I am guessing the Canadien team wasn't going to bring a JV and Frosh team.
Centerville Football just released their football schedule on Facebook today and it's still showing the Oakridge Secondary game for 9/7.
Old 07-16-18, 01:42 PM
Varsity

JustAGuy5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
Point spread: Elks -3.5
Lmao you cannot be serious??
Old 07-16-18, 05:33 PM
All District

Bull_Elk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKSONE View Post
Centerville Football just released their football schedule on Facebook today and it's still showing the Oakridge Secondary game for 9/7.
The varsity football schedule at the Centerville Athletics website currently does not show a game for 9/7:

https://centervilleelkathletics.com/...sity/schedule#
Old 07-16-18, 05:46 PM
All American

I doubt a contract has been signed at this time which is probably why nothing's being listed on each teams sites. A lot of districts are kinda dead during the month of July before picking things up for the new year on Aug 1. Even if this is a down year for the Elks it makes no sense to just have a bye week. Those reps could significantly help down the road.