Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-18, 11:38 AM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the list OWK! I used to be obsessed with listing the top 100 songs of the year as they'd play them on December 31, with #1 played at midnight. Every year I'd listen faithfully to the countdown.

I noticed Herman's Hermits have two places on there. I'm listening to Pete Townshend's book "Who I Am", and in it The Who went on tour with Herman's Hermits.

I wasn't a fan, per se, of The Who, though I know their songs. I just watched a few videos on YouTube of them playing in concert back in the day. Keith Moon could play!! He screwed around back there and got his share of attention, never missing a beat. They were all so young.

No running today; I've had a headache for two days so I'm just doing easier things. Gotta finish canning peaches today because they're starting to go bad.

I give piano lessons in a half hour. Look up The Who Live in Texas 1975, Baba O' Riley, and "Don't Get Fooled Again".

I can't figure out how to share it from my phone.

Last edited by Diva; 07-11-18 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 01:40 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Thanks for the list OWK! I used to be obsessed with listing the top 100 songs of the year as they'd play them on December 31, with #1 played at midnight. Every year I'd listen faithfully to the countdown.

I noticed Herman's Hermits have two places on there. I'm listening to Pete Townshend's book "Who I Am", and in it The Who went on tour with Herman's Hermits.

I want a fan, per session, of The Who, though I know their songs. I just watched a few videos on YouTube of them playing in concert back in the day. Keith Moon could play!! He screwed around back there and got his share of attention, never missing a beat. They were all so young.

No running today; I've had a headache for two days so I'm just doing easier things. Gotta finish canning peaches today because they're starting to go bad.

I give piano lessons in a half hour. Look up The Who Live in Texas 1975, Baba O' Riley, and "Don't Get Fooled Again".

I can't figure out how to share it from my phone.
Thanks Diva and I hope the headache goes away. Those can really be nasty!

I, too, loved to listen to the year's Top 100. In fact, I listened to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 almost every Sunday morning.

Here's The Who's "Baba O'Riley":

ROCK ON!
Old 07-10-18, 08:14 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Back in '68 - '69 CKLW use to do a top 500 countdown over several weeks. I recall once the number one song was Day In The Life by the boys. We would drive a round in our cars just so we could listen to the tunes.

Was never a big Who fan (Can't Explain is very good); really liked Let My Love Open The Door by Pete Townsend.

Satisfaction - was "dirty".

The Four Tops - we just did Bernadette; didn't they also do Reach Out?

Cara Mia - saw the current crop of Jay and The Americans a few times the last few years. Use to mimic teh original Jay with my pantomine peformance. When they were little kids thought it was sick; now it makes them sick.

Mr. Tambourine - Bob. Loved the Byrds. Favorite song - I Feel A Whole Lot Better. Got a nose bleed at a co-ed party when an older girl (two years; that was A LOT when I was 13!) sat on my lap while Turn, Turn Turn was playing.

Ton Jones must be close to 80 and is still ate it. His bio was pretty good.

What The World - seemed so sad.

Herman - well it's not No Milk Today but Henry and Wonderful World are certainly pop gems.
Old 07-11-18, 02:04 AM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
In fact, I listened to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 almost every Sunday morning.
Remembering the car scene in the 2014 movie Ping Pong Summer where a family is heading to Ocean City, Md. for their annual summer vacation, in 1985. Wasn’t a fan of the song Casey plays, but the scene reminds me of my younger years and of my family’s annual summer road trips to Nags Head, NC.

Never been to OC, but one of my sisters just got back from there (this was her family’s second trip), and they seem to really like it.

Old 07-11-18, 08:38 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Thanks, OWK, for the link. That's the one I was watching.
Old 07-11-18, 10:25 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Wow - I had forgotten I did the same my freshman year in high school. I was at a friend's house listening to the radio while our parents were out to dinner on New Year's Eve.

Back then I used to record songs on my cassette player by placing the mic near my little Zenith transistor radio. Managed to get part of "Frankenstein" (the full LP version) on there, and some others.

And that brought to mind the immortal Keith Hampshire and his larger-than-life voice. He had bigger hits with "Daytime, Night-time" and a cover of "The First Cut Is the Deepest", but the one I always got a kick out of was this:

Old 07-12-18, 06:39 AM
All American

Where to begin...still pondering the segue from Frankenstein to Keith Hampshire. I missed Keith, somehow, along the journey. He did have a bit of a growl; Frankinstein always had that guttral noise he made whether he was happy, sad, or mad!

I am sure this is not lost on anyone on here but the difference between the Thai Wild Boar soccer team and the immigrant children couldn't more stark.

The world wanted those boys rescued; whether it's the Chiliean miners, or Baby Jessica in the well, the prospect of humans conquering horrible adversity appeals to our very essence of who we are as living thinking and feeling individuals. When these things happen we are all just part of the human race and show so by working together.

Somehow the empathy for the immigrant children seems muted. That is taking into account the hyper response by many who are very worried about their destiny. It would be great if the human race could generate that feeling toward not only the U.S. border immigrant children - but all refugees world wide.

Another segue... .

To paraphrase the John Denver song made popular by Peter, Paul and Mary, The Bevos are Leaving In A Rental Car next week for Tybee Island, outside Savannah (sp.?). Our son is staying here because of his job. I am sure he and his girlie will have everything under control! So, expect a quiz today or tomorrow.
Old 07-12-18, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Spanish Moss country ~ have a safe trip.

:>---

EGA
Old 07-12-18, 12:14 PM
All American

Spanish Boots From Spanish Leather - B. Dylan

Here we go again!! Four correct responses again until midnight. Once again names or references to people - real or fictitious.

1. An enemy to Samson and a friend to Tom Jones.

2. He went out tiger hunting with his elephant and gun. In case of accidents he always took his mom. The White Album.

3. Our conversation was short and sweet; it nearly knocked me off of my feet. But I'm back in the rain. You are on dry land. Blood On The Tracks. Great emotional song writing.

4. Their other big hit that year was Big Girls Don't Cry.

5. Pretty as a mid summer's morn.

6. In one movie she said, "Well, are you going to go for it?" Good thing she kept marrying rich guys. Every rock star wants a babe and then gives her a house and goes and marries Patti Scialfa. This "girl" is in the video.

7. If you go when snow flakes fall; when the rivers freeze and summer ends. Rememeber me to one who lives there; she once was a true love of mine.

8. Four hungry children and a crop in the field. B.B. King's guitar.

9. Wonder where I'd be if she had married me ? Probably be driving kids to school. Great song of a lost relationship.

10. Bad news, bad news, came to me where I sleep. Turn, turn, turn again. One of your friends is in trouble deep. Turn, turn to the wind and the rain. Another great Dylan song that no one knows.

11. Tex Mex with a yodel or two. Love it!

12. I was born and raised on a farm down in Alabama.

13. Now we're sharing the same dream. No more love on the run. Great sax in the middle. Getcha moving!!

14. The great Leslie Gore singing that it's time for another girl to be upset because Johnny's come back to me.

15. John Fred and His Playboy Band. We've covered this group. Texas, maybe! Had a funny hit.

16. Sweet, sweet Patti Boyd's song that was killing Clapton.

17. There's something about her hand holding mine. It's a feeling so fine.

18. The Beatles backed him up on this song and performed with him a lot in Hamburg.

19. Well I wake up in the morning fold my hands and pray for rain. Electric at Newport. Great version, also.

20. Paul McCartney's sheep dog.

21.___.____where you going to. Monkees.

22. Joey Powers was going for his Masters at OSU when he did this song with some session work from Simon and McGuinn.

23. As I got on a city bus, and found a vacant seat I thought I saw my future bride walking down the street. Rock and Roll could have just been called his name.

24. Down in Louisanna where the alligators grow so mean there lives a girl I'd swear to the world makes the alligators look tame.

25. How come he don't need PIP with me down at the meter no more. Great jazzy one time hit for this lady cool kitten.

26. You don't want to call nobody else. Send it off in a letter to yourself.

27. White Album Beatles' song about the Maharhshi.

28. Old pal Tommy Roe. Opens with drums from '62.

29. Great holiday standard by E. L. and P.

30. It's him versus the Red Baron.

Quiz is complete! Start when you want!!
Old 07-12-18, 12:38 PM
All Region

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
26. "Ricki Don't Lose That Number" -- Steely Dan

30. "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" -- The Royal Guardsmen...this was a favorite of mine as I was coming of age.
Old 07-12-18, 12:46 PM
All American

Good, quick start by coldshoulder! I gotta run so I'll check back around 6:00.
Old 07-12-18, 12:47 PM
All Ohio

1. Delilah - Tom Jones
4. Sherry - The Four Seasons
6. Uptown Girl - Billy Joel (Joel's ex-wife, Christie Brinkley, is featured in the music video and also uttered that famous line, in the movie Vacation).
13. Caribbean Queen (No More Love On The Run) - Billy Ocean
Old 07-12-18, 12:50 PM
All Yappi

4. Their other big hit that year was Big Girls Don't Cry.

Frankie V. & Summer + Fall + Winter + Spring

Sherry...

Just so happens I was dating a girl by that name when this hit the charts.

- - -

FF1795 beat me to it!

Ugliest...

EGA
Old 07-12-18, 12:54 PM
All Yappi

28. Old pal Tommy Roe. Opens with drums from '62.

Sheila ~

Knew a girl in H.S. named Sheila _ had the biggest, most beautiful brown eyes.

~ ~ ~
7. If you go when snow flakes fall; when the rivers freeze and summer ends. Rememeber me to one who lives there; she once was a true love of mine

Paul and Art- the spice album
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

Baddest...

EGA
Old 07-12-18, 12:55 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
7. Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme -- Simon and Garfunkel

14. Judy's Turn To Cry -- Lesley Gore (or was it Leslie?)

15. Judy in Disguise -- John Fred & His Playboy Band (gotta be one of the worst hit records ever made)

24. Polk Salad Annie -- Tony Joe White
Old 07-12-18, 12:59 PM
All Yappi

^

beat you by a few seconds

nastiest...

EGA
Old 07-12-18, 04:31 PM
All District

cat_lover is on a distinguished road
2. Bungalo Bill- The Beatles
Old 07-12-18, 05:40 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
8. "Lucille" - Kenny Rogers

25. "Chuck E's in Love" - Rickie Lee Jones
Old 07-12-18, 06:51 PM
All American

Ok - where am I. We are off to the usual flying start and a few of these are "deep state" material. Several are really, really hard!

coldshoulder -
26. Is on Ricki Don't Lose That Number. I always thought this was about drugs. 'round these parts a "number" was a joint.

30. - All of the songs in the 60's were good sort of in some way. Big hit! Snoopy Versus The Red Baron

FootballFan 1795 - is locked and loaded!

1. Deliah by Mr. Tom Jones. Took Tom out of the Welsh mines over 50 years ago.

4. I heard Sherry at a friend's house on a cold January day that year. The family had the old style furniture turntable. Pretty classy.

6. I was never a big Billy J. Liked Piano Man and We Didn't Start The Fire. A few years back Joel had a standing gig somewhere huge in New York on a regular basis. Anyone know where? Christie Brinkley - what is it 6 hubbies!!

13. Carribean Queen should be done by a guy whose name is Ocean. Just a great Carribean sound, I guess. And the sax!!!

Ohio pup -

28. Greets us with old Pal Tommy Roe's Shelia. From '62 and it has that late 50's sound. Nice drum to start the song.

7. It is not Parsley, ... . remember it is a name of a person or something like a noun for a person.

Monclova - Obviously waiting for the brains of the outfit to get home.

See 7 above with ohio pup. For both of you who would be singing about a love left behind in a cold climate? First indication of an enormous talent.

14. Leslie or Lesley Gore is overlooked as a great early female rocker and singer of girl songs of heart break and lament. Passed several years ago and has a decent catalogue.

15. Judy In Disguise - what was this about? I believe JB expounded long ago about this group. John Fred And His Playboy Band. I believe the word "bra" is in the lyrics which I thought was pretty cool and hot. I was a dork.

24. Seems like Tony Joe White had some mental problems (didn't all of us and some still?!) Polk Salad Annie is swamp music, I guess. It's a kicker!

cat_lover - from deep in the vault for number 2 comes cat with Bungalo Bill.

Blackhawk is always good for a few I believe will trouble you all.

25. The hipster chick Ricki Lee Jones with Chuck E's In Love. great jazz, rocky song. Hard to believe this was out in '79 and it was all she had. Sounded like a major talent.

8. When I was teaching school a group of women in the office would fight to the death anyone who ragged on Kenny Rogers. This is Lucille. In keeping with the times - just not my bag! Although I did like Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In.

I saw the First Edition sing that song on The Today Show one morning during a snow day.

I believe John Dailey would say that is 13 down and 17 to go.
Old 07-12-18, 07:18 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Whew! Degree of difficulty: high

17. "Love Goes Where My Rosemary Goes" - Edison Lighthouse
Old 07-12-18, 07:56 PM
All American

17. Excellent! Love Goes Where My Rosemary Goes by Edison Lighthouse. 14 down and 16 to go.

Can be answered by most of you: 5, 11, 16, 20, 21, 27 and 29.

Love and Mercy is on some channel right now.

Last edited by Bevo; 07-12-18 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 10:57 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
A late start, but here we go:

5. Pretty as a mid summer's morn.
"Dawn", The Four Seasons

12. I was born and raised on a farm down in Alabama.
"Patches", Clarence Carter, not Dicky Lee

21.___.____where you going to. Monkees.
"Mary, Mary", The Monkees

23. As I got on a city bus, and found a vacant seat I thought I saw my future bride walking down the street. Rock and Roll could have just been called his name.
"Nadine", Chuck Berry

ROCK ON!
Old 07-12-18, 11:28 PM
All American

The midnight rambler has paid us a visit. Good thing I heard someone yell, "Last call!"

5. Dawn by The Four Seasons may be my favorite song by the group. Did these guys hit on a winning formula or what?! And as has been mentioned on here many times, Jersey Boys is beyond enjoyable.

12. Patches was such a sad song; good almost a gospel, spiritual rendering by Clarence Carter.

21. Skip the Mickey Dolenz show if he is around. He'll be in Findlay this coming year. I believe I would have rather heard Boyce and Hart back in the day. Still, I watched their show.

23. Keith Richards said, they should have just called rock and roll, Chuck Berry. Nadine, indeed!

Starting at 8:00 a.m., how about five more correct responses until Friday evening. I'll be gone from noon until evening but will check in then.

18 down and 12 to go.
Old 07-13-18, 12:45 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Love and Mercy is on some channel right now.
It’s easy to understand why Paul Dano was chosen for the role of a young Brian Wilson, considering he played an odd character in the 2013 movie Prisoners and also acted as the Nietzsche-inspired-me-to-take-a-vow-of-silence brother, in the 2006 movie Little Miss Sunshine.
Old 07-13-18, 06:31 AM
All American

We enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine a lot!
Old 07-13-18, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

Happy Birthday...

Harrison Ford (76)...

Ford vs. Snakes

Cheech Marin (72)...

nastiest...

Salute
Old 07-13-18, 09:28 AM
All American

How old is his wife Clolista Flochhart? Remember Ally McBeal? Remember the dancing baby?
Old 07-13-18, 09:59 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Remember Ally McBeal? Remember the dancing baby?
A few months ago, my kid's mind was blown when I happened to mention the dancing baby from Ally McBeal. I had no idea that there are still a lot of references to the dancing baby online today, while my kid had no idea the origins of the baby and was surprised that I knew.

As for the quiz, the only one left that I know (I think) is:

16. Layla – Eric Clapton
Old 07-13-18, 11:19 AM
All American

Baby, you are correct on 16 - LAYLA! You got me on my knees!!

Calista is 54.
Old 07-13-18, 03:03 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Bevo,

Read that you are heading to Tybee Island, Ga. next week and wanted to put in writing just how envious I am. One of the most relaxing vacations I've ever experienced was our trip to Tybee Island and Savannah. The last time we were in Tybee was in September of 2013. I began keeping a journal of all of our vacations about 10 years ago and wished I had done the same many years earlier when our kids were younger.

For the last 10 years or so we have taken a vacation with two other couples about our age and typically either rented a beach house or large condo somewhere and enjoyed whatever the particular locale had to offer. Prior to our 2013 vacation in Tybee we had visited Savannah several years earlier as a side day-trip while were staying in a condo at Hilton Head and had taken a boat cruise to Savannah for the day but never made it to Tybee. Tybee is actually considered the "beach" for the city of Savannah.

The first time we visited Savannah was about the time that the best seller book " Midnight In The Garden Of Good and Evil" had hit the charts and was sometime in 1994. I forget the year the movie of the same name was released, but what was amazing was how every store, restaurant, and bar we were in had signage about the book with some places just saying "we have the book" while other places said " we don't have the book, and we hate the book, don't believe it" or something to that effect. It was extremely controversial at the time and I ended up buying the book and then saw the movie once it was released and never real understood the hoopla honestly. One thing I would highly recommend if you visit Savannah is to take one of the many trolley tours available. We took one each time we were in Savannah and they were well worth the money. Very interesting !

Our trip to visit Savannah again in 2013 found another controversy running throughout the city and that involved the Paula Deen Restaurant in downtown Savannah which had just been in the national news due to the owner, Paula Deen having her cooking show come under fire for some racist remarks she had been accused of and I believe her show was cancelled and her restaurant had been the scene of some demonstrations. I'm guessing the good folks in Savannah are hoping I don't return for a while since I'm the damn yankee who showed up with the book controversy and the chef controversy. Feel like the plague of the 17 year locust returning ( although it was 19 years between my visits) lol.

Getting back to Tybee for a minute. . .we rented a beach house right on the beach and I mean literally right on the beach, as you stepped off of the deck at the rear of the house you were standing on the beach ! and a straight shot to the surf, no crossing the street or walking to a public beach access entry it was right there. Perfect weather the entire time.

As I am now looking at my journal notes I just remembered the evening we arrived at Tybee Island was the night of the Ohio State- Cal football game which ended in a 52-34 win for the Buckeyes with Kenny Guiton leading the charge. According to my notes the game ended at 11:30 PM and all of the wives had fallen asleep. Interestingly enough we had called and ordered pizzas to be delivered for the game from a place called " Pizza On Wheels" and since we didn't know the Island well enough and had arrived and settled in just before kickoff we ordered from the phone book and paid a ten dollar delivery fee and here is the great part, the next morning as I was taking a walk looking for a place to buy a newspaper I passed the pizza shop " Pizza On Wheels" and it was about 200 yards from our Beach house, I bet they had a great laugh when we gave them the address to deliver the pizza ! Now we know why the pizza was so hot when they delivered it. The final journal entry for the night said Bucks win, wives are asleep and we are starting on our final pitcher of Bloody Marys for a nightcap.

Some spots we visited and hopefully they are still in operation:

The Crab Shack ( no jokes please) Great setting in a jungle like atmosphere. I came back with a photo of me sitting on a large alligator. Food was good as I recall.

The Tybee Grill was a decent place for burgers, quesadillas, fish sandwiches and cold brew plus it was walking distance from our house. Across the street was the Sugar Shack a pricey place for ice cream cones and shakes. Shakes were $8.00 bucks and that was 5 years ago !

"Doc's Bar" in the downtown area, (if you can it the downtown area as there really isn't a down town in the true sense) is billed as the oldest bar in Tybee and has been open since 1948. I am assuming it will still be open since this year will mark its 70th anniversary. We guys walk in to kill a couple of hours while our wives hit all the tourist trap sea shell shops and the like in the area.

The first thing that strikes me is the black cat asleep at the end of the bar, and I'm not talking about Samuel L. Jackson, I mean a real bushy tailed black cat. He looks up at me, purrs and heads toward me, I was thinking about inquiring about some bar food but wanted to make certain there wasn't a litter box sitting near the stove. We all order a draft and decide to hold off on asking for a menu until we scope the place out some more. In the meantime this cat strolls down the bar weaving between our draft glasses and never touches anything at all. lays down beside me and again goes right back to sleep. Moments later some maniac with an artificial leg comes in the place (I guess he is a regular) looks at the three of us and proclaims we are the three ugliest looking MFers he has seen all week and tells us his name is Wild Bill and he truly did look like Wild Bill Hickock. long flowing hair with a handlebar mustache and must have been nearly 80 years old and somehow, just like the cat had done earlier singled me out and proceeded to tell me his life story, every time a female would walk by the bar, the door was open and he would hobble out the door and flirt with the lady and try unsuccessfully to get her to come inside and let him buy her a "cordial" as he put it.
Wild Bill once even climbed into a golf cart with two women before the began screaming. The more beer we drank, the funnier he got and the party ended about the time our wives returned from the souvenir shops and walked in to get us. The bartender took a photo of the 6 of us with Wild Bill standing in the middle giving a single finger salute to the rest of the patrons in Doc's.

Another place we hit was called "The North Beach Bar & Grill" and is listed as one of the Top 50 Sea Food Dives according to Coastal Living Magazine. It was very close to the famous Tybee Lighthouse if you happen to visit there. Mrs JB informed me there are 178 steps in the Lighthouse and I advised her to take some photos as I would be waiting for her when she came back down.

Place called Marlin Manson's Surside Grill near Beachside Colony had great grouper sandwiches and portabella mushroom sandwiches.

Found a really good place for breakfast in the "downtown" area called " The Breakfast Club". Very small, but very good. Excellent spicy hot omlette . They only let one party at a time in the restaurant and all others wait in line outside, no waiting room inside, but it is worth the wait. As soon as one table leaves, the let one table in and the wait continues. Although there aren't too many tables inside the line moved fairly quickly actually. No line jumping or saving places, kind of like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld as far as rules go. Hope you enjoy your vacation next week.

Oh yeah, Have some guesses on the latest quiz also:

20. "Jet" was song named for Paul McCartneys dog.

22. "Midnight Mary" was the big hit for Joey Powers

27. "Sexy Sadie" from the White album

29. "I Believe in Father Christmas" was the only seasonal song I can associate with
Emerson, Lake and Palmer ???

JB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: