Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-16-18, 07:16 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Boston Marathon

Today is the Boston Marathon, it's going to be between 45-49 degrees, 100% chance of rain and 25-35 mph winds.
My question, and I don't follow it, has the Boston Marathon ever been postponed, cancelled, or do they run in no matter what??
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-18, 07:28 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
As far as I can tell, they run no matter what. They came close to cancelling due to weather in 2007, that's it.
Old 04-16-18, 07:45 AM
All World

I just think the run itself, over 26 miles is tough enough, throw in wind and rain and it would be brutal...or more brutal.
Old 04-16-18, 07:47 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
You're right - which is why marathon runners will insist on running. They are a different breed, God bless 'em.
Old 04-16-18, 08:00 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Never been Canceled no mention of postponement...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Marathon

Interesting...

...Walter A. Brown was the President of the Boston Athletic Association from 1941 to 1964. During the height of the Korean War in 1951, Brown denied Koreans entry into the Boston Marathon. He stated: "While American soldiers are fighting and dying in Korea, every Korean should be fighting to protect his country instead of training for marathons. As long as the war continues there, we positively will not accept Korean entries for our race on April 19."

- - - - - -

List of winners...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...oston_Marathon

:>---

EGA
Old 04-16-18, 08:36 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Today is the Boston Marathon, it's going to be between 45-49 degrees, 100% chance of rain and 25-35 mph winds.
My question, and I don't follow it, has the Boston Marathon ever been postponed, cancelled, or do they run in no matter what??
The temperature itself is nearly optimal for long distance running (upon finishing, get some extra clothes on ASAP). The rain and wind could be a major problem depending on how heavy the rainfall and which direction the wind is blowing - headwind would be brutal as it would also be blowing the rain into the runners. If it does rain heavily, I wouldn't be surprised if some participants end up needing treatment for hypothermia. There could be some serious chafing going on, too, so I hope people packed their Body Glide or other skin lubricants.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 04-16-18 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 08:39 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
The temperature itself is nearly optimal for long distance running (upon finishing, get some extra clothes on ASAP). The rain and wind could be a major problem depending on which how heavy the rainfall and which direction the wind is blowing - headwind would be brutal as it would also be blowing the rain into the runners. If it does rain heavily, I wouldn't be surprised if some participants end up needing treatment for hypothermia. There could be some serious chafing going on, too, so I hope people packed their Body Glide or other skin lubricants.
I realize most runners would like it to be in the 30's/40's tops, they stay warm enough, but the wind/ rain is the issue. My guess is most don't even train in these conditions. Don't know how long of stretches they run in one direction, but imaging running into the wind for several miles at a stretch???
Old 04-16-18, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I realize most runners would like it to be in the 30's/40's tops, they stay warm enough, but the wind/ rain is the issue. My guess is most don't even train in these conditions. Don't know how long of stretches they run in one direction, but imaging running into the wind for several miles at a stretch???
The route is primarily west to east, so if the wind is blowing in from the ocean, that'll be difficult. I'd rather run hills than run into a stiff headwind for miles. Unless you're in the mountains, the hills eventually come to an end. Wind can last much longer if you pick the wrong route.

I'd say that many who end up qualifying for Boston do encounter these conditions from time to time (most people aren't good enough to qualify for Boston if they duck workouts every time the weather is bad). FWIW, I qualified once nearly 10 years ago but didn't enter (couldn't afford the trip at the time and ended up getting injured anyway). I trained in some pretty nasty crap en route to hitting my qualifying time.

Unless you're an elite racing for the win, or you're vying with your training partners for bragging rights, it'll be a day to throw the watch in the trash can and just enjoy the Boston experience.
Old 04-16-18, 11:54 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Most running probably did training runs in way worse weather.
Old 04-16-18, 02:33 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Most running probably did training runs in way worse weather.
Ya think? I don't.
Old 04-16-18, 02:34 PM
All World

Men's winner from Japan, An American woman won, first time in 33 years.

Wonder if the weather hurt the Kenyan runners?
Old 04-16-18, 02:35 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Ya think? I don't.
Anyone who qualifies for the Boston Marathon has most definitely run in subpar conditions.
Old 04-16-18, 02:47 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
lol wut
Old 04-16-18, 03:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Anyone who qualifies for the Boston Marathon has most definitely run in subpar conditions. What a blistering dumb take, even by your standards.
Stop trolling, although it's all you do. Do you honestly think these runners "volunteer" to run in conditions like today just in case the conditions in the Boston Marathon are like this...of course not. What a goof ball.
Old 04-16-18, 03:23 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
They train regardless of what the weather conditions are.
Old 04-16-18, 04:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Ya think? I don't.
Have you ran a day in your life? Iíve personally ran in harsher weather over the winter, no doubt. Even had a couple 20+ mile runs.
Old 04-16-18, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Stop trolling, although it's all you do. Do you honestly think these runners "volunteer" to run in conditions like today just in case the conditions in the Boston Marathon are like this...of course not. What a goof ball.
What do you think the conditions were like for runners in Minnesota, Wisconsin, even Cleveland over the winter training months? You think they marathon trained inside on treadmills?
Old 04-16-18, 04:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Men's winner from Japan, An American woman won, first time in 33 years.

Wonder if the weather hurt the Kenyan runners?
You know there are thousands of amateur runners running Boston, right? Nearly all of them train outside exclusively in the winter for the Boston marathon.
Old 04-16-18, 04:23 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I have plenty of friends that run distance races just for fun and every single one of them ran in similar or worse conditions than today during their training. Heck I've run in that type of stuff during long conditioning runs for wrestling. The only weather these people will change their training regimen for is lightning.
Old 04-16-18, 07:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
I have plenty of friends that run distance races just for fun and every single one of them ran in similar or worse conditions than today during their training. Heck I've run in that type of stuff during long conditioning runs for wrestling. The only weather these people will change their training regimen for is lightning.
There are some who won't even do that. There are some rather OCDed runners out there.

I always tried to juggle my schedule during the week if there was better weather to be had for more targeted efforts, but if it's the end of the week, it's raining cats & dogs, and I still hadn't gotten that long run in, you better believe I was going out to do it.
Old 04-16-18, 07:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Ya think? I don't.
You don't understand the average runner who qualifies for Boston. The weekly long run happens on either Saturday or Sunday morning (Sunday for most). It's the only time they can do the long run and still have a life outside of running. If it's raining cats and dogs or as cold as can be, that run is still going to happen.
Old 04-17-18, 07:06 AM
All World

Quote:
yes, yes they do.
Old 04-17-18, 07:37 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Have you ran a day in your life? Iíve personally ran in harsher weather over the winter, no doubt. Even had a couple 20+ mile runs.
I find that hard to believe...
Old 04-17-18, 01:44 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
It amazes me how deliberately and consistently 14Red posts out of his rear end without any regards to reality itself. You'd think he would have learned by now not to speak about things he knows nothing about. Then again taking a vow of silence is no way to live a life.
Old 04-17-18, 01:44 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
He is that good of a troll.

I get the feeling I will tell my grandkids about the troll job 14red has done. Remarkable. We are witnessing history
Old 04-17-18, 01:48 PM
All Yappi

We are witnessing some kind of history.
Old 04-17-18, 02:18 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No you dont train in those situations just in case.....you train in those situations because you have to get your miles in and stick to the schedule.

I've ran in terrible situations.....zero temps and snow, because I was getting ready for for races and ya just gotta get the miles in and I'd rather do that than try to do them on a treadmill.

Plus........ya feel a sense of accomplishment, pride and get a tough attitude by braving the elements.

I stick to zero and above. Number of yrs ago it looked nice so I went out.....got a few blocks away and it felt loke my eyes were almost freezing shut when I blinked..and the snot freezing in my noses went home, turned on twc and with the WC it was negative 15.
Since then I stick to zero or qbove. Maybe negative if no wind if I just gotta get in miles
Old 04-17-18, 02:23 PM
All World

A simple post about the weather conditions at the Boston Marathon turns into personal attacks...nice job Yappi posters.
Old 04-17-18, 02:35 PM
All World

Quote:
A simple post about the weather conditions at the Boston Marathon turns into personal attacks...nice job Yappi posters.
The attacks aren't because you made a simple post about weather conditions at the Boston Marathon. Even you know that.
Old 04-17-18, 02:37 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
He plays you guys like a Stradivarius. Cant believe how stupid the clones are to keep falling for it over and over and over

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: