Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-14-18, 05:50 PM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
Car for sale?

Looking for a car for my 16 year old daughter. Doesn't have to be super nice but don't want junk either. If you have or know someone that does, please let me know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-18, 06:54 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
www.cars.com
Old 04-15-18, 07:59 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
KBB and Edmunds are really good sites for value info to get an offer together on something.

If you're cheap, I'd be patient and look for a Granny Camry in the '98-'01 range with low miles if you have time. Maybe the biggest reliable 4 cyl cars out there. Super safe and mechanically indestructible. Best first cars, and you won't flip out if she trades paint a little.
Old 04-15-18, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Will be giving my 8 yo immaculate Acura TL to my new driver in a few months. Will likely upgrade to an RLX.
Old 04-15-18, 03:36 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
You’re gonna have some spoiled kids, EP. probably already do. No way they end up as good as cabe’s.
Old 04-15-18, 03:37 PM
All World

Why no Tesla, btw?
Old 04-15-18, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

Don’t love the styling of tesla.
Old 04-15-18, 07:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Youíre gonna have some spoiled kids, EP. probably already do. No way they end up as good as cabeís.
He probably won't even get upset if the kid scuffs it up.

Hopefully they don't have the same self-important a-hole in real life that we're stuck with in here, or they'll be insufferable little turds....
Old 04-15-18, 07:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post

Hopefully they don't have the same self-important a-hole in real life that we're stuck with in here, or they'll be insufferable little turds....
You homeschooled your kids.
Old 04-15-18, 07:18 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Could you imagine? Him as your dad? His self righteous overcompensation BS due to getting severely picked on as a spoiled kid ("vintage" BMW) would have gotten old on a 24 hour 365 basis. I'd a thumped him by 14.
Old 04-15-18, 07:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Could you imagine? Him as your dad? His self righteous overcompensation BS due to getting severely picked on as a spoiled kid ("vintage" BMW) would have gotten old on a 24 hour 365 basis. I'd a thumped him by 14.
You’d thump me? That’s hilarious irritable bowel.
Old 04-15-18, 07:49 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Spille, if possible a mid size sedan with front and side air bags about 10 years old. Camry, Fusion etc.. type vehicles. Your insurance will be reasonable
and they have a little metal around them.
Old 04-15-18, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
The "iconic" BoxMW

If you'd have broken his insulin syringe tossing him around, his dad could sue your dad.
Old 04-15-18, 09:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
You homeschooled your kids.
And I highly recommend it for early elementary to anyone that doesn't have to send the wife out to work. If "mom" is at the center of a woman's identity, the results are outstanding.
Old 04-16-18, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
Spille, if possible a mid size sedan with front and side air bags about 10 years old. Camry, Fusion etc.. type vehicles. Your insurance will be reasonable
and they have a little metal around them.
Looked at a couple over the weekend, one we saw in a neighborhood near ours while driving though and the other belongs to a couple my wife and inlaws know. A 2002 BMW 325 i. Very well built, solid car and I liked the drive but don't feel it's practical for my daughter. I like the feel of the car around her, but would rather her have something not so peppy. The miles and the cost of maintenance are a concern, but when you are looking for a cheaper affordable car for your kid to drive, that's about what you'd expect.

Also looked at a 2003 Camry. Again, more miles than I'd hoped but the car is literally in excellent condition. Looks to have been garaged and the interior is in excellent condition as well. It's an XLE model. It rides and drives like a brand new car, owner has records of the maintenance done, including new rack and pinion, new shocks and struts, new brakes and newer tires. The engine has a little tick (not a knock) but more like a vibration or possibly a hose is loose. Took it to my neighbor who is a mechanic and he said nothing to worry about. Nothing I can say negative about it except for the miles, but for my daughter to go back and forth to school and work (we will limit her driving), it seems like a really good fit. it would also be much better on gas as it's only a 4 cylinder.
Old 04-16-18, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
Looked at a couple over the weekend, one we saw in a neighborhood near ours while driving though and the other belongs to a couple my wife and inlaws know. A 2002 BMW 325 i. Very well built, solid car and I liked the drive but don't feel it's practical for my daughter. I like the feel of the car around her, but would rather her have something not so peppy. The miles and the cost of maintenance are a concern, but when you are looking for a cheaper affordable car for your kid to drive, that's about what you'd expect.

Also looked at a 2003 Camry. Again, more miles than I'd hoped but the car is literally in excellent condition. Looks to have been garaged and the interior is in excellent condition as well. It's an XLE model. It rides and drives like a brand new car, owner has records of the maintenance done, including new rack and pinion, new shocks and struts, new brakes and newer tires. The engine has a little tick (not a knock) but more like a vibration or possibly a hose is loose. Took it to my neighbor who is a mechanic and he said nothing to worry about. Nothing I can say negative about it except for the miles, but for my daughter to go back and forth to school and work (we will limit her driving), it seems like a really good fit. it would also be much better on gas as it's only a 4 cylinder.
You'll be paying out the nose top keep that BMW running. My VW is 6 years old and I'm ready to get rid of it because cost of ownership is so high. A 17 year old BMW would be ridiculous
Old 04-16-18, 10:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
You'll be paying out the nose top keep that BMW running. My VW is 6 years old and I'm ready to get rid of it because cost of ownership is so high. A 17 year old BMW would be ridiculous
Have ruled out the BMW. Before we went to look at it, I told my wife of a friend who worked for BMW. I recall him saying parts were hard to get and the cost is outrageous. I did a little research and sure enough, the brand of car most expensive to repair and maintain, the BMW. Not to mention, the steering had a groan whenever you turn the wheel and he said it was using oil. Even though the car was fairly priced all things considered, the maintenance costs was enough to rule it out for me.
Old 04-16-18, 10:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
And I highly recommend it for early elementary to anyone that doesn't have to send the wife out to work. If "mom" is at the center of a woman's identity, the results are outstanding.
Sounds like a miserable failure.
Old 04-16-18, 10:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Agree on the bmw for a new driver, not a good choice. I owned a Passat back in the day. Loved driving it, but it was always in the shop. Would never buy another vw.
Old 04-16-18, 11:10 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Why are VWs in the shop a lot? I thought they ran forever
Old 04-16-18, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post

4 cyl Camry sounds like a winner. Just enough zip to merge on the highway, but not enough to get away from her. Solid car around her that you can put 20k miles on and sell for about the same as you paid if she doesn't bang it up. If she does, the 4-year increase on your policy might cost more than the car. Not the end of the world.

Some of the 4cyl Toyotas MUST have the timing belt changed after 100k. Not sure which engine. Lots of labor there, so maybe check on that in those repair records if applicable.
Old 04-16-18, 11:23 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Sounds like a miserable failure.
Not that I needed any validation, but it's nice to read confirmation that we made the right choices.

Do your kids live with you, or with that prototypical high-achieving modern female that kicked you to the curb like an old kleenex ?
Old 04-16-18, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
An anglicized nazi wheelbarrow isn't really the same as a real nazi wheelbarrow. Daimler made Cherokees for a while, too.....
Old 04-16-18, 11:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not that I needed any validation, but it's nice to read confirmation that we made the right choices.

Do your kids live with you, or with that prototypical high-achieving modern female that kicked you to the curb like an old kleenex ?
Itís too bad you view that massive failure as a success.

Of course my kids live with me.
Old 04-16-18, 11:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
That wasnít my experience.
Old 04-16-18, 12:08 PM
All Yappi

Honestly, if you are looking for a budget friendly lower mileage reliable car, I’d look into a later model sonata rather than chase a higher mileage older camry, unless you knew the history of the camry. I’d take a later model sonata with 40k on it over an older Camry with 80k+.
Old 04-16-18, 12:18 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
My neighbor did a wise thing when his teen-age daughter wanted a car. He gave her his 15 year-old Z which was in incredible condition. The wise thing was that you could only fit two people in it (or maybe three is someone sat on the passenger's lap). So no car with 5 or 6 kids yammering away distracting the driver.
Old 04-16-18, 12:19 PM
All World

By God, he's a genius.
Old 04-16-18, 12:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
My neighbor did a wise thing when his teen-age daughter wanted a car. He gave her his 15 year-old Z which was in incredible condition. The wise thing was that you could only fit two people in it (or maybe three is someone sat on the passenger's lap). So no car with 5 or 6 kids yammering away distracting the driver.
Doesn’t Ohio restrict new drivers to one non-family member in car until age 18 anyway? I could be wrong on that.
Old 04-16-18, 12:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Mine really isn't, it's just that when you need maintenance you get owned. New brakes are $670, I think I payed $700 or some ridiculous price for tires, needs full synthetic oil, etc. New throttle body cost me $1400, needed to get a new valance panel which was $330 for a 8"x4' wide piece of plastic. Parts are crazy expensive

But for the price I don't think you'll find a car that is more fun to drive. I've thought about getting a Mazda 3, gotta be a stick though

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: