Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-09-18, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Dayton Daily News... Beware, is this even legal?

I got a letter today by the Dayton Daily News. It came in a form of a bill and stated that I would automatically be put in a subscription unless I called them and cancelled it.

I have never subscribed to the paper and I feel this is a desperate attempt by them to trick people into subscribing to their paper. I feel it is a criminal act. I almost threw the letter out as I thought it was just another attempt to get me to subscribe.

Is this even legal?

I called them and they told me it was a marketing tool in an attempt to get new subscribers. I told them that I felt it was criminal and a waste of my time that I had to call them and cancel something that I never subscribed to.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-18, 10:29 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I got the same thing last year. I did nothing except laugh at their poor marketing technique. Between that and the harrassing me with phone calls every other day. So, no they arenít going to actually sign you up.
Old 04-09-18, 10:35 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I got a letter today by the Dayton Daily News. It came in a form of a bill and stated that I would automatically be put in a subscription unless I called them and cancelled it.

I have never subscribed to the paper and I feel this is a desperate attempt by them to trick people into subscribing to their paper. I feel it is a criminal act. I almost threw the letter out as I thought it was just another attempt to get me to subscribe.

Is this even legal?

I called them and they told me it was a marketing tool in an attempt to get new subscribers. I told them that I felt it was criminal and a waste of my time that I had to call them and cancel something that I never subscribed to.

Thoughts?
You should have simply ignored it.
Old 04-09-18, 10:53 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/subscriptionfraud/

Looks like it's bogus...
Old 04-09-18, 12:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
No, that is not it.

The letter I got IS from Dayton Daily News, it does not match any on the link you provided. The number to call matches up with Dayton Daily News as well as the PO Box. This is not a scam from somebody outside of the Dayton Daily News but a scam from Dayton Daily News.

The number the letter told me to call is 1-888-397-6397. The PO Box is 742622 Cincinnati Ohio 45274-2622

It is like if you go home and look in your mailbox and there is a letter from Hot Rod Magazine stating that you have automatically been subscribed to receive their magazine and you will be billed $36.00. If you do not want the magazine you must call to cancel. This is illegal and it is being done by Dayton Daily News.
Old 04-09-18, 12:13 PM
All World

Quote:
No, that is not it.

The letter I got IS from Dayton Daily News, it does not match any on the link you provided. The number to call matches up with Dayton Daily News as well as the PO Box. This is not a scam from somebody outside of the Dayton Daily News but a scam from Dayton Daily News.

The number the letter told me to call is 1-888-397-6397. The PO Box is 742622 Cincinnati Ohio 45274-2622

It is like if you go home and look in your mailbox and there is a letter from Hot Rod Magazine stating that you have automatically been subscribed to receive their magazine and you will be billed $36.00. If you do not want the magazine you must call to cancel. This is illegal and it is being done by Dayton Daily News.
Again, no action other than ignoring it is required on your part.
Old 04-09-18, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
Again, no action other than ignoring it is required on your part.
this is exactly what the letter stated:

"For your convenience, your service will continue into the next renewal period unless you notify Customer Service. If you wish to make a change to your service or cancel your subscription, you must call 888-397-6397"

I am not subscribed to the DDN and never had been. It specifically states that I must contact them or else I will be charged $25.87 for service. I called them up and they admitted that it is a marketing tool. Even if I ignored it and nothing happens it is still wrong for a business like this to be doing this.

Last edited by vamp2syd; 04-10-18 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 10:10 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

"For your convenience, your service will continue unto the next renewal period unless you notify Customer Service. If you wish to make a charge to your service or cancel your subscription, you must call 888-397-6397"

I am not subscribed to the DDN and never had been. It specifically states that I must contact them or else I will be charged $25.87 for service. I called them up and they admitted that it is a marketing tool. Even if I ignored it and nothing happens it is still wrong for a business like this to be doing this.
I would be shocked that any company would feel this is a good way to market their product. My guess is most people who were even considering getting the DDN is now never going to get it.
Old 04-10-18, 10:52 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
File a complaint with your local BBB and the State Attorney General.

:>---

EGA
Old 04-10-18, 11:06 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
ITT: old people dealing with scammers. A story as old as time.
Old 04-10-18, 12:04 PM
All World

Quote:

"For your convenience, your service will continue unto the next renewal period unless you notify Customer Service. If you wish to make a charge to your service or cancel your subscription, you must call 888-397-6397"

I agree that it's a crappy (but probably not illegal) way to sell product. Not responding would not constitute a contract, and any "bill" could safely be circular-filed.
Old 04-10-18, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
ITT: old people dealing with scammers. A story as old as time.
It's as if they're trying to figure out how to use their turn signals.
Old 04-10-18, 12:29 PM
Cooling Off

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Vamp - I am an attorney in the Dayton area and have had multiple other people complain about this letter. You are indeed correct, it is illegal.

Would you be able to provide a picture of the letter?
Old 04-10-18, 01:09 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Not sure what direction this troll job is going....
Old 04-10-18, 02:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Vamp - I am an attorney in the Dayton area and have had multiple other people complain about this letter. You are indeed correct, it is illegal.

I still have the letter though I did rip it in half. I have no cell but I do have a digital camera that does not work that good but could take a picture of it.
Old 04-10-18, 03:00 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
No cell vamps?
Old 04-10-18, 03:50 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post

You do need a copy. I am not a lawyer but I know that it is generally not illegal to say you are going to do something. Saying "I am going to rob that bank" or "I am going to beat the heck out of that guy" is not illegal in and of itself. If you are doing other things that cause someone to think the threatened crime is imminent which incites a reaction then you might be guilty of something (disorderly conduct for example). I believe in this case the paper does not do what they say they are going to do (charge them for a subscription they did not request). Doing what they apparently said they were going to do would be illegal. Saying that they are going to do something that they never intend on doing usually isn't.
Old 04-10-18, 04:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
You do need a copy. I am not a lawyer but I know that it is generally not illegal to say you are going to do something. Saying "I am going to rob that bank" or "I am going to beat the heck out of that guy" is not illegal in and of itself. If you are doing other things that cause someone to think the threatened crime is imminent which incites a reaction then you might be guilty of something (disorderly conduct for example). I believe in this case the paper does not do what they say they are going to do (charge them for a subscription they did not request). Doing what they apparently said they were going to do would be illegal. Saying that they are going to do something that they never intend on doing usually isn't.
It did incite an action. The waste of my time by calling them and dealing with their robo response and wait until I got an actual person.

The DDN even had an account number set up in my name. Why would they have anything on me in their computer if I am not a subscriber or had been one....
Old 04-10-18, 04:11 PM
All Yappi

They don't. The account # was fake, I'd assume. Sounds like a pretty textbook scam. Just ignore it next time.
Old 04-10-18, 04:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
They don't. The account # was fake, I'd assume. Sounds like a pretty textbook scam. Just ignore it next time.
When you state scam are you talking about an outside source pretending to be DDN and scamming?

Because, this is not the case. This is actually the DDN trying to scam in order to get new subscribers.
Old 04-10-18, 04:23 PM
All World

Of course Mickey ridicules vamps itt. So sensitive when it comes to his industry. Pathetic attempt to get more subscribers by the DDN.
Old 04-10-18, 04:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
When you state scam are you talking about an outside source pretending to be DDN and scamming?

Because, this is not the case. This is actually the DDN trying to scam in order to get new subscribers.
I guess scam probably isn't the right word for it. More like unethical attempt by DDN to get more subscribers. It's a dying business and they will use any tactic to stay afloat just a bit longer.

I would still just ignore it. It wouldn't be legal for them to automatically sign you up for a subscription without your consent.
Old 04-10-18, 04:40 PM
All World

Ignoring it would of course be the appropriate response.
Old 04-10-18, 05:11 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
If DDN doesn't have your billing information how do you expect them to bill you? Like others have said just ignore it.
Old 04-10-18, 05:12 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Should of wiped your with it and attached a letter saying you were charging them for your fecal matter on the letter as well as the envelope.

Then end it with:

Warm Regards.
Vamp
Old 04-10-18, 06:28 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If you typed that correctly, it says "If you wish to make a charge to your service" . Guess they are saying if you wish to be charged for our paper give us a call. Probably nothing illegal about that.

I have had similar technique used on me recently by a company calling me and saying that since I am a member of the Blue Diamond time share, they can help me get my money back since it went under. Wording makes you want to call to straiten out the fact you are not a member of the Blue Diamond Time Share.
Old 04-10-18, 06:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
If you typed that correctly, it says "If you wish to make a charge to your service" . Guess they are saying if you wish to be charged for our paper give us a call. Probably nothing illegal about that.

I have had similar technique used on me recently by a company calling me and saying that since I am a member of the Blue Diamond time share, they can help me get my money back since it went under. Wording makes you want to call to straiten out the fact you are not a member of the Blue Diamond Time Share.
I'm sorry... misprint... "If you want to make a change to your service or cancel your subscription, you must call .... "
Old 04-10-18, 07:57 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
It's quit apparent you aren't a lawyer based on you noting two examples that are actually against the law. Honestly some of the only "notes" that are constantly prosecuted.
Old 04-10-18, 08:05 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
It's quit apparent you aren't a lawyer based on you noting two examples that are actually against the law. Honestly some of the only "notes" that are constantly prosecuted.
It's 'quite', happy.
Old 04-11-18, 06:24 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Please give examples of such notes, that were not exchanged during the actual attempt to commit a crime (for example a note passed during a bank robbery or a note for ransom or black mail or where the note is, in and of itself, the crime as in a witness intimidation or harassment case) where there is the actual intent to commit the crime and the note is an instrument used to effectuate the crime.

What is the underlying crime here?

Last edited by Purplemojo; 04-11-18 at 08:51 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: