Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-07-18, 08:17 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
I'm really looking forward to tonight's home opener. Soccer being played in football weather is always fun. My understanding is that all the General Admission tickets have been sold and they're expecting 25,000 or more at the match.

I became an FCC season ticket holder this year after attending a couple of games last year and being blown away by the experience. I think FCC will only increase in popularity if they make the MLS and are playing in a new stadium.

I also don't buy the argument that higher prices will drive fans away. First off, the really cheap seats are mostly located in the horseshoe end zone and last year I was paying $25 per seat between the 25 yard lines. Also don't forget that parking and concessions are high so it's not like an FCC game is all that cheap now when playing such stalwarts as Bethlehem, PA and the Richmond Kickers!

My final point would be that the mass majority of folks going to FCC games are actually into the soccer and they know that a move to MLS from the USL will see a big improvement in the quality of play. I also noticed that virtually everyone in the stadium was wearing FCC gear ($$$$$). It's alright to hate soccer and I get it's an acquired taste. Heck, I can't stand basketball. But don't let your dislike of soccer color the reality that FCC will make it in the MLS and IMO they will make it big.
Old 04-07-18, 08:20 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
This incredibly dumb saga is probably nowhere near over but they actually have a deal now. I will never support this team after the shenanigans they've pulled throughout this process; will be hilarious if they ultimately get turned down by the MLS anyway. Jeff Berding is a snake

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...l-with-fc.html
What shenanigans are you referring to? It seems to me that FCC was a victim of the usual urban politicking that holds Cincinnati back. BTW, the final deal that will be worked out between the City, County, State and FCC will be by far the most tax payer friendly of all the major league sports teams in Ohio. The Reds & Bengals look like welfare queens compared to FCC.
Old 04-07-18, 08:47 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
What shenanigans are you referring to? It seems to me that FCC was a victim of the usual urban politicking that holds Cincinnati back. BTW, the final deal that will be worked out between the City, County, State and FCC will be by far the most tax payer friendly of all the major league sports teams in Ohio. The Reds & Bengals look like welfare queens compared to FCC.
Right. the shenanigans were not a product of FC. As usual it was the Dems (5 of them) in City council that caused most of the pain.
Old 04-07-18, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
If FC Cincy fails, it won't be because soccer cannot succeed in Cincinnati. There is massive potential for soccer across Ohio.
Old 04-07-18, 08:44 PM
All Region

Tom.OH is on a distinguished road
Quick, who won the mls championship last year? Who won the super bowl? I knew you could answer the last one...
Old 04-08-18, 11:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
Quick, who won the mls championship last year? Who won the super bowl? I knew you could answer the last one...
I concede that the NFL is a lot bigger than MLS and that the Super Bowl is a lot bigger then the MLS championship. BTW, who won last years Stanly Cup and who was the NBA champ?

As for last night's game while the outcome was disappointing the team looks to be playing better soccer. A crowd of 25,677 on a very cold night was also pretty impressive IMO. And while tickets are cheaper then Bengal's games it was interesting to watch the folks around me slamming $9 beers all night long and as usual most of the fans were decked out in all sorts of FCC gear. And while you will NEVER catch me wearing a freaking scarf to a sporting event, it's clever how soccer has convinced folks to drop $25 on one! And these people wear the scarfs in July when it's 100 degrees out!

I also noticed that they've upgraded the Nippert Stadium replay board big time! It's on par with the ones in PBS. They've also added those annoying electric signs all along the sidelines that keep changing colors & advertisements. Damn those things can be distracting. But again, the sponsors are paying big bucs to advertise on them and I suspect they've been added by MLS request for the two years FCC's MLS franchise plays at Nippert while the new stadium is being built.

One final note that shows me that the FCC management gets it. At half time they recognized all the LOCAL Ohio high school boys & girls state soccer champs. The Boys D1 winner was Beavercreek! This clearly shows that FCC counts the Dayton metro area as its backyard. Smart move IMO that will only boost the long term stability of this franchise.
Old 04-08-18, 12:01 PM
All Ohio

Tardis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
Pros - Toronto FC (MLS), Eagles (NFL), Astros (MLB), Warriors (NBA), Penguins (NHL), Martin Truex Jr. (NASCAR), Chelsea (EPL), Real Madrid (La Liga a UCL), Bayern Munich (Bundesliga), PSG (Ligue 1), New Zealand (Rugby 7's Word Series), Ireland (Six Nations rugby), Justin Thomas (PGA FedEx Cup).

College - Bama (NCAAF), Nova (NCAAB), Notre Dame (NCAAW), Duluth (NCAAH), Maryland (Lacrosse), Florida (Baseball).

That's just a quick round-up thinking through every recent sports champ off the top of my head. Turns out you can like multiple sports and attend multiple events. Go to a Reds game does not also preclude one from an FCC game.
Old 04-08-18, 12:07 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Can confirm no one other than a portion of the hipster demographic cares about the Crew in Columbus. The Clippers are probably more popular.
Old 04-08-18, 12:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Can confirm no one other than a portion of the hipster demographic cares about the Crew in Columbus. The Clippers are probably more popular.
I would agree. I was a Crew season ticket holder the first 7 years of their existence (3 years playing at the Shoe and 4 in the new stadium) and I've seen more passion out of the FCC crowd then I ever saw from a Crew crowd. It seemed to me that besides the 5,000 committed supporters waving Crew flags and chanting during a game the bulk of a Crew crowd were parents taking their soccer playing kids to a pro game. Heck, 5 years in there was as much Ohio State gear being worn to Crew games as their was Crew gear.

Though I do hope that Columbus can keep the Crew but with local ownership. The threat of their leaving has actually galvanized that community and lit a fire to keep the Crew. A Cincinnati/Columbus MLS rivalry would be very cool. We saw a bit of what it might look like at the Open Cup game last year when FCC played the Crew at Nippert.
Old 04-08-18, 12:26 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
The most common comment I receive about the Crew goes something like "I've always wanted to check out a game". The Crew have simply failed to reach their audience, and that starts at the top with ownership that has been dispassionate at best.
Old 04-08-18, 12:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
The most common comment I receive about the Crew goes something like "I've always wanted to check out a game". The Crew have simply failed to reach their audience, and that starts at the top with ownership that has been dispassionate at best.
Agree 100%. They didn't seem to do the little things right. Sure "buck a brat" night was funny but it's not the kind of thing a MAJOR league franchise does. And once the Hunt's, who were absentee owners but not actively hostile to Columbus, sold the team the Crew were in real trouble.

Watching FCC honor the Beavercreek's boys D1 state title holder under the auspice of saluting LOCAL HS teams was very clever.
Old 04-08-18, 01:03 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
That’s good, because it offers much less than either in return.
Old 04-08-18, 07:05 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
Pros - Toronto FC (MLS), Eagles (NFL), Astros (MLB), Warriors (NBA), Penguins (NHL), Martin Truex Jr. (NASCAR), Chelsea (EPL), Real Madrid (La Liga a UCL), Bayern Munich (Bundesliga), PSG (Ligue 1), New Zealand (Rugby 7's Word Series), Ireland (Six Nations rugby), Justin Thomas (PGA FedEx Cup).

College - Bama (NCAAF), Nova (NCAAB), Notre Dame (NCAAW), Duluth (NCAAH), Maryland (Lacrosse), Florida (Baseball).

That's just a quick round-up thinking through every recent sports champ off the top of my head. Turns out you can like multiple sports and attend multiple events. Go to a Reds game does not also preclude one from an FCC game.
No, but there’s a lot of overlap. I’d like to know how well the Kansas City franchise does. They’re similar to Cincy being a small mkt and having an MLB team.
Old 04-08-18, 07:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
No, but there’s a lot of overlap. I’d like to know how well the Kansas City franchise does. They’re similar to Cincy being a small mkt and having an MLB team.
The original Kansas City Wizards MLS team struggled big time but they relaunched with a new stadium and name in 2012 and have had over 100 consecutive sellouts!

https://www.thebluetestament.com/201...ts-sporting-kc

Now the stadium is small (about 21,000) but I was surprised they have this kind of streak. It's quite impressive given that they compete with the Royals & Chiefs.
Old 04-08-18, 09:35 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:

Doesn’t answer your question directly, but I read the FC Cincinnati game this weekend outdrew 5 MLS teams by 10,000 in attendance.

Beat Nashville, who just got selected to be in the MLS, by 18,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-18, 09:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The original Kansas City Wizards MLS team struggled big time but they relaunched with a new stadium and name in 2012 and have had over 100 consecutive sellouts!

https://www.thebluetestament.com/201...ts-sporting-kc

Now the stadium is small (about 21,000) but I was surprised they have this kind of streak. It's quite impressive given that they compete with the Royals & Chiefs.
21k looks to be the capacity of FCC's stadium as well.

Are there any plans to use it for HS football games?
Old 04-08-18, 09:57 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
21k looks to be the capacity of FCC's stadium as well.

Are there any plans to use it for HS football games?
I would hope they'd use the hell out of it. UC isn't allowed to host the 8-10 Skyline showcase games anymore because it's in August. FCC's stadium would be a natural fit for it. Could also host playoff games. Artificial turf would be necessary for football games, not sure what MLS's thoughts on that are
Old 04-08-18, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

Off the top of my head, Seattle, Portland, Toronto, Atlanta, and Vancouver play on artificial turf. I think their position is more or less that they prefer grass but if it makes more sense to go fake then so be it.

Toronto's stadium opened with artificial turf but has since been converted to grass.
Old 04-08-18, 10:59 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Regardless, soccer stadiums are pretty much perfect for HS football games. Crew Stadium isn't utilized nearly enough imo.
Old 04-09-18, 04:59 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
I believe the MLS requires natural grass for all new franchises.
Old 04-09-18, 12:02 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
Right. the shenanigans were not a product of FC.
I'm more put off by the MLS and all its demands for where a stadium can be and the soccer-only thing. It's stupid that FCC could not get a bid while playing at Nippert of PBS. But as long as I don't have to pay anything for it, I'm cool.
Old 04-09-18, 12:05 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I don't blame MLS for requiring a soccer-specific stadium. Would the NFL allow a team to play indefinitely at a college stadium?
Old 04-09-18, 12:11 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
I don't blame MLS for requiring a soccer-specific stadium. Would the NFL allow a team to play indefinitely at a college stadium?
The MLS is absolutely NOT the NFL. And for years, plenty of teams played in multi-purpose stadiums.
Old 04-09-18, 12:31 PM
All Yappi

Playing in huge NFL stadiums was part of reason why the league struggled so much early on. New England is now the only original MLS team without it's own stadium and that's only because they're owned by Bob Kraft.
Old 04-09-18, 12:49 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
Doesn’t answer your question directly, but I read the FC Cincinnati game this weekend outdrew 5 MLS teams by 10,000 in attendance.

Beat Nashville, who just got selected to be in the MLS, by 18,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of all the teams in the League, KC is far and away the most comparable to Cincy. Both have ~2.1 mm people in the metro area, similar demographics, culture, with an established MLB Franchise. If you want to forecast how succesful FC Cincy would be LT, that’s who you’d want to look at.
Old 04-09-18, 01:19 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
The MLS is absolutely NOT the NFL. And for years, plenty of teams played in multi-purpose stadiums.
As a professional sports league, I don't see why you wouldn't require a stadium that is specifically built for your sport. I'm not sure what your point of contention is regarding that matter.
Old 04-09-18, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Of all the teams in the League, KC is far and away the most comparable to Cincy. Both have ~2.1 mm people in the metro area, similar demographics, culture, with an established MLB Franchise. If you want to forecast how succesful FC Cincy would be LT, that’s who you’d want to look at.
They tried those comparison's with the street car. Hopefully more intelligent people are involved with FC Cincinnati.
Old 04-09-18, 04:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
And given the huge success the current KC soccer team enjoys then the future of FCC looks good if KC is the model to compare to. This is especially true considering that FCC will enter the MLS with a lot of momentum unlike KC which stumbled out of the gate when entering the league.
Old 04-09-18, 04:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
They tried those comparison's with the street car. Hopefully more intelligent people are involved with FC Cincinnati.
SWJ, the folks running FCC have either been very lucky or they've executed one of the best new franchise establishments in history. Or maybe it's a little of both. Bottom line is that entering their 3rd season of existence they have over 17,000 SEASON TICKET HOLDERS for a MINOR LEAGUE soccer team and are on the cusp of getting into MLS.

Even more impressively their gear can be seen all over Cincinnati (and it ain't cheap) and they're well on their way to regionalizing FCC to all of SWO, Northern KY and SE Indiana.
Old 04-10-18, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Yeah, I think it's pretty clear at this point that FCC isn't some niche entertainment. They will be successful, especially if they stay relatively competitive. The Reds are bad more than they are good. Even when they are good I don't see the two competing for fans. Plenty of people to go around.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: