Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-07-18, 10:02 AM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Depends on Matt Bevin and his band of nitwits.
Depending on politicians isn't much of a retirement plan. You might try saving on your own to supplement what might be left of your government plan when your time comes to retire.
Old 04-07-18, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
Depending on politicians isn't much of a retirement plan. You might try saving on your own to supplement what might be left of your government plan when your time comes to retire.
Sounds like he is saying he may be able to retire earlier if his pension survives intact, not that he isnít also saving money outside of his pension.
Old 04-07-18, 10:16 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Sounds like he is saying he may be able to retire earlier if his pension survives intact, not that he isnít also saving money outside of his pension.
You certainly chose to read more into his post than most would.
Old 04-07-18, 12:49 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Quote:
Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin vetoed a bill that would have given relief to city and county governments facing increased pension payments.

Louisville Metro Government would have saved $27 million under House Bill 362.

A provision in the bill lets local governments phase in the increased contributions needed to shore up the pension plans.

The governor said he vetoed the bill because another part would help agencies, including health departments, leave the system.

Bevin said he supports the phase-in provision and encouraged lawmakers to pass a bill with that language in it when they reconvene next week.

http://www.wlky.com/article/gov-bevi...nsion/19697205
Old 04-07-18, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Many people with public jobs have, over the years, been consistently encouraged to take much of their compensation packages in the form of benefits rather than in larger wage increases. This can make individual retirement savings a little more difficult for them.

This emphasis helped their employers contain short term costs like unemployment insurance and workers' comp premiums on top of wage savings. Unfortunately, most jealous tax payers can easily be encouraged to support later efforts to pull the rug out from under pensions. It's even easier to sell screwing them over if you can privatize and stop hiring young people with a longer wait to collect on the pension plan. Easier to justify blowing up a plan that you've weakened

Any time the rules change the little people get the shaft.
Old 04-07-18, 01:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Many people with public jobs have, over the years, been consistently encouraged to take much of their compensation packages in the form of benefits rather than in larger wage increases. This can make individual retirement savings a little more difficult for them.

This emphasis helped their employers contain short term costs like unemployment insurance and workers' comp premiums on top of wage savings. Unfortunately, most jealous tax payers can easily be encouraged to support later efforts to pull the rug out from under pensions. It's even easier to sell screwing them over if you can privatize and stop hiring young people with a longer wait to collect on the pension plan. Easier to justify blowing up a plan that you've weakened

Uh yeah, like I said depending on politicians is not much of a retirement plan.
Old 04-07-18, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

What public sector do you work in Weirdo?
Old 04-07-18, 02:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I didnít really read anything into it; youíre the one who assumed he was solely depending on politians for retirement.
Old 04-07-18, 02:59 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Not sure how i feel on the whole "teachers deserve more pay movement"

I feel like any benefit/ pension deals should be honored.

Pay scale is a different story for me.
Old 04-07-18, 03:37 PM
All Region

Salesman is on a distinguished road
Retired in June of last year after some health scares. Now doing some part-time work and volunteering Have received some interesting offers to return full time but the wife says absolutely not. I have never handled stress well and she is afraid a stressful (though well-paying) job will put me in the ground. I guess she loves me.
Old 04-07-18, 04:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Uh yeah, like I said depending on politicians is not much of a retirement plan.
And I'm saying he may not have much of a choice, given most compensation packages in state employment
Old 04-07-18, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
What public sector do you work in Weirdo?
I'm a public school teacher, obviously.
Old 04-07-18, 04:40 PM
All District

king kong is on a distinguished road
Started teaching in 99’, had about a years worth of service from pers, so I have 19 years invested at 48 years old. With strs changes I am looking at retiring at 64 years old and 35 years teaching. That is if nothing else changes! Lol
Old 04-07-18, 05:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm a public school teacher, obviously.
Lol. Why is it obvious?
Old 04-07-18, 05:21 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Not sure if cabez is serious (I think he is joking) but i never pegged him for a teacher.
Old 04-07-18, 08:52 PM
All Region

Tom.OH is on a distinguished road
My full retirement age for social security is 66 years 2 months, September 2021 not much more time to go...
Old 04-07-18, 10:12 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Not sure how i feel on the whole "teachers deserve more pay movement"

I feel like any benefit/ pension deals should be honored.

Pay scale is a different story for me.
Ohio teachers in STRS have a very nice pension set up. For those that teach for 35+ years, their monthly pension is 80% of the average of their 3 highest years salaries. Thirty years gets 72%. Not bad when you make up to $90,000 in the upper years.

I'm most familiar with Akron Public Schools. Their teachers have many avenues to supplement their salaries, (teach summer school, coach, advisor, playground/breakfast/lunch monitors, building committees, extended time activities are some) that also add to the yearly amount.

They can also get Soc. Security on top of that through spouse. A family member of mine(cousin) gets 1/2 her husband's monthly pmt, less 2/3 her STRS pension. She never paid into SS.

The health care available is great also.
Old 04-07-18, 10:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I didnít really read anything into it; youíre the one who assumed he was solely depending on politians for retirement.
No, you need to go back and re-read his post. His answer to the original post on this thread was it depends on Blevins and his band of nitwits. No mention of saving on his own. I took the man at his word, you added something that wasn't there.
Old 04-07-18, 10:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
And I'm saying he may not have much of a choice, given most compensation packages in state employment
He had plenty of choices, another career being among them...
Old 04-08-18, 05:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
He had plenty of choices, another career being among them...
Well, sure....... e_p doesn't have to choose to be an a-hole all the time either, but things are what they are. You are being a bit obtuse here.

For one thing, MM is near retirement now, so I'm sure that for the entire first half of his career his retirement picture seemed an absolutely iron-clad thing. People get sort of "pot-committed" to a career. Maybe he could easily choose to deny himself and put more aside, put it's not so easy to get Ma Mantle on board ? Maybe he's chosen to bail out a family member from his wages and counted solely on his pension ? There could be any number of reasons.

The point is that he's probably made whatever choices that he has along the way based upon one set of rules. He's held up his end enough that he hasn't been terminated. He and every other public employee should have every expectation that they won't get the rug pulled out from under themselves.
Old 04-08-18, 05:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Not sure if cabez is serious (I think he is joking) but i never pegged him for a teacher.
You are correct. I am actually a fry cook on Venus. It's a great job, because the servers cut me in on all the tips. This guy brings in some real big spenders -

enjoying_penis usually leads the 'nati-clone charge in bagging on my family and I because my wife home-schooled our boys for the early elementary grades, so that teacher claim was a little joke.
Old 04-08-18, 07:16 AM
All Yappi

It was hilarious weirdo! The fry cook on Venus thing was pretty lame, but probably gave lotr and ranchhand a boner. So well done.
Old 04-08-18, 07:20 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
No, you need to go back and re-read his post. His answer to the original post on this thread was it depends on Blevins and his band of nitwits. No mention of saving on his own. I took the man at his word, you added something that wasn't there.
The question was ďhow closeĒ are you to retirement. He simply said it depends on Blevins. Pretty obvious heíd be closer to retirement if his teachers pension was honored. You assumed he isnít saving at all outside of that, which likely isnít the case.
Old 04-08-18, 07:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
It was hilarious weirdo! The fry cook on Venus thing was pretty lame, but probably gave lotr and ranchhand a boner. So well done.

No it wasn't. It was just a little grin.

And the Ferris Bueller reference was just as probable to any reader with a memory as me being a school teacher.

And "well done"? You "hanging out" with ranch hand today, enjoying_p ?
Old 04-08-18, 07:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
No it wasn't. It was just a little grin.
I mean hilarious for you nitwit.
Old 04-08-18, 09:15 AM
All Yappi

Once again, e_p=0 value added
Old 04-08-18, 11:02 AM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
What is PanthoerVOR talking about itt? The status of one’s pension will have some impact on your retirement whether you’ve got nothing else saved, or $1 million saved. Very few people who have pensions would be 100% unimpacted in retirement if something happened to the pension.
Old 04-08-18, 08:42 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
I can retire anytime, but I have no plans to do so. I'm having too much fun! My employer currently allows us to work to age 74, either full time or part-time and I would like to do that. Currently "part-time" averaging 38 hrs. per.
Old 04-08-18, 09:03 PM
All District

king kong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Ohio teachers in STRS have a very nice pension set up. For those that teach for 35+ years, their monthly pension is 80% of the average of their 3 highest years salaries. Thirty years gets 72%. Not bad when you make up to $90,000 in the upper years.

I'm most familiar with Akron Public Schools. Their teachers have many avenues to supplement their salaries, (teach summer school, coach, advisor, playground/breakfast/lunch monitors, building committees, extended time activities are some) that also add to the yearly amount.

They can also get Soc. Security on top of that through spouse. A family member of mine(cousin) gets 1/2 her husband's monthly pmt, less 2/3 her STRS pension. She never paid into SS.

The health care available is great also.
During the 08’ recession, Strs board made changes. Now members receive 2.2% for each year at 5 highest years averaged. You are eligible for a benefit at age 65 with 5 years of service, or any age at 32 years of service to be bumped up to 33 years in 19’, 34 years in 21’, and 35 years in 23’.

In 26’ members must be 60 with 35 years or 65 with 5 or more service years. There are ways to retire early with reduced benefits. As for the insurance, you must now be 65 to receive it.

So as you can see, once you hit a few years, you are pretty much locked in. These changes are going to be tough on districts as teachers will have to work more years, meaning less turnover and higher budgets due to most teachers being older.
Old 04-09-18, 11:38 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Retired 10 years ago, and I have spent a great deal of that time going to various doctors as my health deteriorates.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: