Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-27-18, 05:58 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
2018 will be final Bridgestone golf tournament in Akron

Quote:
This could be the final year for Akron’s Bridgestone Invitational.

“Being told that Akron—Firestone—will get PGA Senior Players in 2018 after Bridgestone pulls out following this year’s tournament,” Golf Channel contributor John Feinstein tweeted.

Reports surfaced last year that Akron may lose the annual golf tournament at Firestone Country Club.
Read more:
http://www.wkyc.com/article/news/loc...n/95-523670536
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-18, 07:03 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I've always enjoyed watching golf tournaments at Firestone. Dad says his family once owned a farm that is now Portage Lakes adjacent to the course. Dad has a penchant for hyperbole, so...
Old 02-27-18, 08:32 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
My guess is they will move this thing to Japan to keep the title sponsor happy. Other option is one of the hot new courses in the Pacific NW.

Firestone South was a big hit with the tour players, they always thought it was a great test of PGA style tournament golf. No tricks or quirky holes, everything was right there in front of you for the taking; anything in the red would get you in contention on Sunday. Perfect for the best players of their day as Nicklaus and Woods always did well. On the other hand golf snobs hated the course because of the primarily parallel fairways and lake of distinctive character, many preferred the North course. I played there a couple times and scored well, thought it was a solid test of North American parkland golf with some memorable holes.
Old 02-27-18, 08:56 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Damn, I have been going there since I was a kid. Got Jack's autograph as a kid as he was coming out of the bathroom behind twelve. Had a great conversation when I was 7 or 8 with Chi Chi. Many, many memories. Hopefully they can attract another sponsor/tournament.
Old 02-28-18, 04:13 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Firestone is getting the Senior Players championship in 2019.
Old 03-02-18, 08:31 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Firestone is an awesome venue, that was a great tournament. I know they host some college events as well, but limited to September and April for those events to avoid weather issues.
Old 04-12-18, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Confirmed it is leaving today for... Memphis! http://www.cleveland.com/golf/index....e_in_2019.html

Should have seen this coming since Fed Ex sponsors the points standings and they are based in Memphis. A local rag even wrote how Fed Ex uses its weight to get things to Memphis: https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...rld/507997002/

I have been to Memphis and it is a S-Hole, some call it the capitol of Mississippi. I'm sure that the Pros will be happy playing at an event in Memphis in August too. Now Akron is nothing great either but the Pros loved Firestone South and the weather is more temperate in NEO at that time of year. At least the geezers will be there for a year to help lessen the blow.
Old 04-12-18, 09:28 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Senior Players Championship for 4 years- a consolation prize. You've lost the major league team, but here's a minor league team. I guess I prefer it to a web.com tour event.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/go...ior-tour-event

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: