Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-18, 02:06 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
I love it
Old 04-15-18, 02:10 PM
All Region

My favorite airplane is the Harrier Jump Jet. Nothing cooler than that bird going straight up and down, or bowing to the crowd at the airshow we went to many times. We used to live in San Diego, so of course we'd go to Miramar every year to see the airshow.
Old 04-15-18, 04:30 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Top of the 10th Inning

The NEO Yappi All-Stars vs: MLB Also Rans? Score tied 2-2

Yappi up to bat...
Also Rans Battery (AAA) : Page Pitching ~ Berra Catching...

Page winds up he delivers...
> "Age is a question of mind over matter. If you donít mind, it doesnít matter."
Strike 1.

Page toes the rubber watch out Yappi...
> "I use my single windup, my double windup, my triple windup, my hesitation windup,
my no windup. I also use my step-n-pitch-it, my submariner, my sidearmer and my bat dodger.
Man's got to do what he's got to do."
Strike 2.

Page snarls a little, arches back...
> "When a batter swings and I see his knees move, I can tell just what his weaknesses
are then I just put the ball where I know he can't hit it."
Strike 3.

Here comes Bevo:

Page looks over the batter...
Its a slider...
Berra: "Did see that one did you? ~ You can observe a lot by watching"
Ump: Strike 1.

Page slings a side arm fast ball...
Bevo swings: nothing but air.
Berra: "Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
Ump: Strike 2.

Page reads the sign...
It's an inside curve, no; an ouside curve, no; it's a corkscrew.
Bevo can't believe his eyes;the ball crosses the plate on every corner!
Berra: "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Ump: Strike 3!

Announcer: Now substituing Rizzuto for Berra.

Johnstown-Bennie steps into the batters box.

Page lets it fly...
Rizzuto: "I like radio better than television because if you make a mistake
on radio, they don't know. You can make up anything on the radio."
Ump: Strike 1.

Page squints... he scrums the ball deep in his glove...
It goes by so fast he doesn't even see it.
Rizzuto: "They've got so many Latin players we're going to have to get a
Latin instructor up here.'
Ump: Strike 2.

Page shakes off the sign... rears back...
WHACK! Bennie hits a long fly ball.... Mays is going back, back, back, back...

And the Yappi All-Stars are retired.

Score tied 2-2

:>---

EGA
Old 04-15-18, 04:45 PM
All Yappi

Bottom of the 10th...

ohiopup pitching....

Taking a lesson from old Satch...
- - - Page:
"If a man can beat you, walk him."

Mays up to bat...
Ball 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Mays goes to 1st base.

Jackie Robinson come to the plate:
the pup winds up....
HOME RUN!!!

From 1949...

Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball?

Final score
4-2

Today is 42 day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Robinson_Day

From Wiki...
Jack Roosevelt Robinson (January 31, 1919 – October 24, 1972) was an American professional
baseball second baseman who became the first African American to play in Major League Baseball
(MLB) in the modern era. Robinson broke the baseball color line when the Brooklyn Dodgers
started him at first base on April 15, 1947. When the Dodgers signed Robinson, they heralded the
end of racial segregation in professional baseball that had relegated black players to the Negro
leagues since the 1880s. Robinson was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962.
In 1997, MLB "universally" retired his uniform number, 42, across all major league teams;
he was the first pro athlete in any sport to be so honored. MLB also adopted a new annual
tradition, "Jackie Robinson Day", for the first time on April 15, 2004, on which every player
on every team wears No. 42.

Robinson was posthumously awarded the Congressional Gold Medal and Presidential Medal of Freedom.
A Congressional Gold Medal (not to be confused with Congressional Medal of Honor) is amedal
commissioned with a unique design to honor the recipient.
(photo of obverse and reverse at bottom of post

Link to full 1950 movie The Jackie Robinson Story (1hr 17min) B&W
The Jackie Robinson Story

= = = = = =

... 9 hour drive Canton to NYC in a GMC panel truck...

My Dad would go to New York 4 times a year on business (for 3~4 days) and I fell in
love with the city; When I got old enough he would take me. At age of 11 got to visit
Ebbets Field and old Yankee Stadium but never saw any ball games there. He'd drive up
to catch the Ohio Turnpike and made the connections the other turnpikes (PA / NJ). At the
time I was excited to go thru 7 tunnels and then the Lincoln Tunnel under the Hudson River.
Once to appease me he went out of his way to cross into Manhattan via the George
Washington Bridge. The GW-Bridge in the original design was to have a facade so that the
girder work would not be exposed to the elements.

Then we proceeded down Riverside drive to Mid-town passing the piers where the Trans-Atlantic
liners berthed, as luck would have it on this trip; a rare occasion, 4 of the liners were
docked at the same time. I got to visit the SS United States, It had a piano made of aluminum
in the lounge.

EGA

- - - -

Pictured here is Robinson's C.G.M. obverse/reverse

Last edited by ohiopup; 04-15-18 at 04:52 PM. Reason: 309765
Old 04-15-18, 04:47 PM
All Yappi

pup: "I didn't plan it - it just worked out that way.

EGA
Old 04-15-18, 05:27 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
My favorite airplane is the Harrier Jump Jet. Nothing cooler than that bird going straight up and down, or bowing to the crowd at the airshow we went to many times. We used to live in San Diego, so of course we'd go to Miramar every year to see the airshow.
While not as big as the Miramar Air Show, the Dayton Air Show is a pretty good show, too. The Navy Blue Angels, the Air Force Thunderbirds and the Army Golden Knights have all performed in Dayton over the years.

Unfortunately, the Dayton Air Show has been plagued with some horrible accidents in recent years. In 2007, stunt pilot Jim LeRoy died when his plane crashed to the ground and burst in flames. In 2013, another crash during the show killed both the pilot Charlie Schwenker and the wing walker Jane Wicker. Last year, a Thunderbirds F16D Fighting Falcon jet was flipped by a gust of wind while taxing...the pilot and crew member were trapped for two hours, but were OK. A reminder of just how dangerous these air shows can be.
Old 04-15-18, 05:50 PM
All Region

Yes, they certainly can be
Old 04-16-18, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

Baseball Highlights for 4/15/2018

Lots of 42's playing...

https://www.mlb.com/video/must-c-bar...t/c-1943130783

EGA
Old 04-16-18, 02:31 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post

My Dad would go to New York 4 times a year on business (for 3~4 days) and I fell in love with the city; When I got old enough he would take me. At age of 11 got to visit Ebbets Field and old Yankee Stadium but never saw any ball games there.
That's a great memory to have. It wasn't until I read "It's Good To Be Alive" that I learned the Dodgers weren't always in LA.

At the beginning of Don Drysdale's book "Once A Bum, Always A Dodger", he recounts his first trip back to Brooklyn after retiring from the Dodgers, and how traumatic it was to see Ebbets Field gone, replace by apartments. Looking at the satellite view, it's still hard to imagine how they shoe-horned a major-league baseball stadium in there at one time.
Old 04-16-18, 04:34 PM
All Yappi

Also got to visit Forbes Field in Pittsburgh on a school 8th grade late spring field trip
just before Summer vacation... (you know; one of those school is almost out and
final tests are done... took in quick campus tour of Pitt (Cathedral of Learning),
Phipps Conservatory, and Buhl Planetarium.

Raised the funds thru paper drives, collecting 'Tax Stamps' (remember those).

Out of pocket expenses were only about $3.

Isn't Wikipedia a wonderful thing?

EGA
Old 04-17-18, 01:29 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Just an add on. ( have been MIA due to computer problems and the usual litany of doc. tests, invasive and otherwise.) So far so good.

Had to toss this out for the four "Wisemen" (OWK, JB, Monclova and yours truly).

Saw in the paper this morning a very small article about the passing of former 76er great, Hal Greer. I will be stunned by all of my heroes' ages right until I get my small article!

Hal was 81!

I watched the NBA in the 60's on ABC, I believe, and saw Greer play a lot. Hal played 15 season with the Syracuse Nationals and the Sixers. During a time when it was the gold standard for NBA players, Greer passed the 20,000 point mark late in his career and ended it with a total of 21,586 points.

At a time when there were only 8 or 9 teams and the guys made money under $15,00 per year, he was a star. The Sixers finally won a title, I believe in '67 with the likes of Wilt, Chet Walker, Billy Cunningham (maybe?) and Greer. Very, very good team; won close to 70 games, I recall.

As mentioned this was during a time when scoring 20,000 points was a huge deal. I remember when St. Louis Hawk, Bob Petitt got to 20,000 and that was a really big deal.

The Wisemen will know the answer to this if I ask it correctly. Hal Greer was fundamentally very sound (most guards were then) but he had a unique aspect to one part of his game. He was the first player I saw do this and it certainly worked for him.

Other players adopted this technique over the years. My daughter was pretty good and this was what she did, also. What was it?
Old 04-17-18, 04:05 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Just an add on. ( have been MIA due to computer problems and the usual litany of doc. tests, invasive and otherwise.) So far so good.

Had to toss this out for the four "Wisemen" (OWK, JB, Monclova and yours truly).

Saw in the paper this morning a very small article about the passing of former 76er great, Hal Greer. I will be stunned by all of my heroes' ages right until I get my small article!

Hal was 81!

I watched the NBA in the 60's on ABC, I believe, and saw Greer play a lot. Hal played 15 season with the Syracuse Nationals and the Sixers. During a time when it was the gold standard for NBA players, Greer passed the 20,000 point mark late in his career and ended it with a total of 21,586 points.

At a time when there were only 8 or 9 teams and the guys made money under $15,00 per year, he was a star. The Sixers finally won a title, I believe in '67 with the likes of Wilt, Chet Walker, Billy Cunningham (maybe?) and Greer. Very, very good team; won close to 70 games, I recall.

As mentioned this was during a time when scoring 20,000 points was a huge deal. I remember when St. Louis Hawk, Bob Petitt got to 20,000 and that was a really big deal.

The Wisemen will know the answer to this if I ask it correctly. Hal Greer was fundamentally very sound (most guards were then) but he had a unique aspect to one part of his game. He was the first player I saw do this and it certainly worked for him.

Other players adopted this technique over the years. My daughter was pretty good and this was what she did, also. What was it?
Oh Bevo, it is wonderful to "hear" your voice. Glad to hear your dr. tests are going well, as I'm sure you studied hard. I am currently going thru my own alphabet soup of exams (MRI, X-ray, etc.) to try to lessen some of the infirmities brought on by a condition known as old age.
As I wish for all of us, I hope we all endure this "old age" condition for a very, very long time.
Now, to Hal Greer, one of my all-time faves even though his 76ers always tormented my beloved Royals:
I saw his obit in today's paper. The very first image that popped into my brain was Mr. Greer shooting one of his patented free throws by treating it as a jump shot. He is the only one I can recall doing that.
There are many others who might want to try it since Hal shot about 80% from the line over his long career.
Old 04-17-18, 04:15 PM
Varsity

rdlwolverine is on a distinguished road
Haven't checked in here in a while. Hal Greer was one of the early NBA stars to come out of the MAC.
Old 04-17-18, 05:27 PM
All American

Yep, the great guard Hal Greer shot a jump shot at the foul line. Excellent free throw shooter. If you've "got it down", I guess it makes sense, i.e., every foul shot you take is a practice jump shot and every shot taken from the field can be a practice jump shot.

And, I guess I misspoke earlier - I meant to say "Wise Guys" - sorry.

And, we do have other Wise Men. (And a Wise Woman.)

Monclova, I loved those Royals' teams also. Use to do my homework listening to 700 out of Cincy. But for the Celtics... .
Old 04-17-18, 09:52 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlwolverine View Post
Haven't checked in here in a while. Hal Greer was one of the early NBA stars to come out of the MAC.
rdlwolverine - I've been a little negligent as far as the AARP Thread, but it's good to see you posting. Belated congrats to your Wolverines for an outstanding season. They had a tough way to go vs. Villanova. 'Nova was REALLY good. I checked back and can't believe that it was 5-years ago that I met you at "Final Four" in Atlanta. Wow, times really flies! Sorry to see Moe Wagner declare for the NBA draft. I enjoyed watching him play.

Bevo and all - As per Hal Greer, yes, he was a super guard back in the 1960s. That 76ers team mentioned above was a favorite of mine. Greer was a steady scorer who wasn't too flashy, but got the job done. Also, you just had to love his jump shot form the free throw line (he was a career 80% FT shooter). His college career was so good at Marshall that they named a street in Huntington after him (Hal Greer Blvd).

College basketball also lost an influential guy this week. Vic Bubas, the former coach at Duke, passed away yesterday (April 16). He was the man who is most responsible for turning Duke into a basketball powerhouse. With players like Art Heyman and Jeff Mullins, Bubas led the Blue Devils to the "Final Four" three times in the early-to-mid '60s. A little known fact is that at one time, Bubas had future Hall of Fame coaches Chuck Daly and Hubie Brown as his assistants. Those must have been some very interesting coaching meetings.

ROCK ON!
Old 04-18-18, 08:48 AM
All American

Ohiopup is tottin' water while the Wayward Boys, a.k.a., The Geezers - prepare the nectar of the Gods' cocktail of
Miralax and Dulcolax (the root of these two words tell you everything you want to know).

Let me also congratulate rdl on Michigan's fine run.
As a Buckaroo, let me say "Good Bye Mo - I wish the Bucks had four of you right now!" I like Bealine a lot; sleeves rolled up and you can see every gym he was ever in in that face. He exudes tough love; I believe would be fun to play for.

Anyway we have beaten the early 60's college teams to death ... but still the intrigue remains. Probably because we wore a younger man's clothes at that time. Heck, this time is pre-paisley and before bell bottoms, so I guess the go to word for us was gaberdine and madras.

Those early 60's teams - UCLA, Duke, Dollar Bill's Princeton group and Michigan were good and interesting. Being a buckeye fan I thought the fact that Luke and Bradds were each 6'8" was amazing and then I discovered that Bubas was starting Jay Buckley and Hack Tyson, each at 6'10"! Mullins was tough, also. What a coaching tree that iwas!!!

Here we are 55 or so years later and I remember Kenny Washigton's exploits (both years) for the Bruins like it was this year's finals.

Last edited by Bevo; 04-18-18 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-18-18, 01:28 PM
All Yappi

Not just madras but genuine bleeding madras, you forgot seersucker.

This should warm your cockles...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misirlou

The name of the tune is Misirlou
An old Greek/Middle-East first recorded in the 1920's
It translates roughly to 'Egyptian' or 'Egyptian Girl'

It was used in the film Pulp Fiction (Uma and John / dance)...

Recorded by several American musicians; among them Jan August, Arthur Lyman,
Dick Dale, The Beach Boys, and Martin Denny

(I have albums with the tune by The Beach Boys and Martin Denny)

The Beach Boys...

Jan August - Piano / Lyrics...

Martin Denny...
(A Bevo Babe if there ever was one!!!)
Dance scene from the movie India Tomb - That's Debra Paget in (or is out) of costume...

Martin Denny's more famous recording is Quiet Village .

EGA

Last edited by ohiopup; 04-18-18 at 04:02 PM. Reason: 312043
Old 04-18-18, 02:21 PM
All American

Where's JB waiting for the so inappropriate retort. Won't do it; too easy and vast; wouldn't be prudent.

RIP - Barbara Bush - wife and mother of two of our presidents.
Old 04-18-18, 07:21 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
op: most excellent all. Danke.
Old 04-20-18, 08:34 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Sad news that former Ohio State football coach Earle Bruce has died at 87:
http://www.wdtn.com/news/ohio/former...ies/1131105971

RIP Earle Bruce

Last edited by One Who Knows; 04-22-18 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-20-18, 09:02 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Sad news that former Ohio State football coach Earl Bruce has died at 87:
http://www.wdtn.com/news/ohio/former...ies/1131105971

RIP Earl Bruce
Earle Bruce - man, oh, man. One less link left to the Woody Hayes era, which is a reflection on how far in the distance my youth is receding. I had mixed feelings about him as a coach. He always had the horses every year, but never quite turned them loose. But I respected him for his experience and demeanor, and I liked his "transformation" when he put on the charcoal suit and fedora.

LOL - about 15 years ago, when my father was an OSU redcoat working the annual Senior Tackle, reporters and fans kept coming up to him thinking he was Earle Bruce. There was a certain superficial resemblance, mainly in the waistline, eyes, and jowls, and Dad was wearing an "official" OSU windbreaker and black OSU ballcap. But he's a good four inches taller than Earle.

The Columbus Dispatch wrote a sidebar article about the resemblance. My sister and I got a good laugh over it. My father was absolutely not happy with the comparison, stating he was in much better shape than Earle.
Old 04-20-18, 09:14 AM
All American

Earle bled Scarlet and Gray. Loved how he stayed around the program. Can't recall her name but his daughter had huge involvement in the Alzheimers' groups.

Dug the fedora also. Remember when he was canned, students congregated outside his home and sang OSU songs. If I recall correctly, Earle came out to greet them.

Good man and coach.

RIP - Earle Bruce
Old 04-20-18, 09:46 AM
All American

Another Earle anecdote:

During his last season as OSU HC, one of the local radio stations (I think it was WNCI's Morning Zoo morning team) got ahold of his unlisted home phone number. The DJ's called him while on the air early one morning just to needle him about his job being in danger (again) , and Earle predictably was hot. He kept barking "How would you like it if I called you early in the morning just to harass you?"

It made the papers, and there were quite a few citizens who thought WNCI went too far. Since the Morning Zoo had done quite a few parody songs, they came out with a half-apology - a version of Paul Simon's "Call Me Al" titled, "Call Me, Earle".

I only heard it the one time, can't remember all of it, but it was memorable. One of the verses, with the odd meter, went "You say you want an - apology - but - all we get is - nine-and-three".

I was on the ground in tears. As parodies of local celebrities go, it's right up there with "The Mighty Ben Gelber", if you've heard or seen that one.
Old 04-20-18, 10:27 AM
All American

Shuffling around through the tributes to Earle this morning... Bruce had four daughters; Lynn was the one who spoke often about her dad's health.

It was the OSU band (nice gesture) that came to Coach Bruce's house that night and played all of its repertoire of OSU songs to a sobbing Bruce who stood on his porch.

Earle was one of a handful to dot the eye; an honor that totally overwhelmed him.

The Michigan game which was at Michigan that year against a very good Wolverine squad was won by the Bucks 23-20. This was the game where the OSU players had written Earle on small strips of masking tape and placed them on the front of their helmets. That Michigan victory from old "9 and 3" allowed Coach Bruce to end his career against Michigan with 5-4 record. A big freakin' deal in Columbus and Ohio.

I loved hearing him on the talk shows as he was always fired up and ready to play some football.
Old 04-20-18, 04:39 PM
All American

One of the truly great persons to grace the OSU football program.

Having grown up as a huge fan of the Buckeyes, my enthusiasm began to wane after Earle was fired. After all, didn't he lead the Big Ten in wins as well as graduation rate during his tenure? Isn't that what universities like OSU are supposed to stand for? I was disillusioned after learning of all the reasons behind his firing.

He remained true to Ohio State for the rest of his days. They don't make many people like Earle Bruce. It's a shame what happened to him .
Old 04-20-18, 05:34 PM
All World

Quote:
... That Michigan victory from old "9 and 3" allowed Coach Bruce to end his career against Michigan with 5-4 record. ...
Yep, I remember my brother, a diehard OSU fan, always calling him "old 9 and 3 Earle". Earle really earned the nickname: he went 9-3 with OSU for six straight seasons from 1980-85. The following year, he improved to 10-3.

RIP Earle Bruce.
Old 04-20-18, 05:54 PM
All American

In 1979, he went 11-1.
Old 04-20-18, 06:11 PM
All American

Probably two points from a national title, correct?
Old 04-20-18, 06:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Probably two points from a national title, correct?
As I get older, I don't remember every game like I used to (especially from 38 years ago), so I had to look it up: a 17-16 loss to USC in the Rose Bowl. So close.

Who was on that Buckeye team?
Old 04-20-18, 08:48 PM
All American

The Gambler?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: